✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Sigur Rós

busybeeburns

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not mind a new Sigur Ros album. I need a post-rock AOTY, I don't feel like TCx3 would cut it. :)

Thank God I pay attention around here. I might not have known what the acronyms meant if I didn't.

Did you not like TCx3? I haven't listened to it (or any EitS, for that matter), but I know several people here in the WoM who have said they enjoyed it.

Do Make Say Think, hands-down. Get You, "You're A History In Rust" and "Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead", the rest of their albums are great too. It's not exactly post-rock, but try Broken Social Scene's "Feel Good Lost", it's a great bridge to get into the feel for it all. :)

Slint's album "Spiderland", Talk Talk's "Spirit Of Eden" and "Laughing Stock", a couple Stereolab albums, all of Tortoise, all of The Album Leaf and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and maybe some Mogwai if that's what you like. A Silver Mt. Zion is pretty good, too.

In terms of third wave, EITS, Mono, and God Is An Astronaut are your best bets. Third wave tends to get really repetitive, a lot of the bands are hit-or-miss. *shels is a nice little band I've picked up recently, they put out an album earlier this year called "Plains Of The Purple Buffalo", check that one out too. Hope that helps!

http://shelsmusic.com/

Ehhhhh. I'm glad you mentioned that third wave tends to be repetitive. I tend not to be a fan of things that are overly repetitive. I can be, but it has to be done properly. Otherwise, I get bored. I did get an EitS on a mixtape once; although it was a bit long for an opener, I thought it was pretty good.

I do know Broken Social Scene, although I don't listen to them as much as I probably should. I'll take another look into their catalogue. I did use "Pitter Patter Goes My Heart" as a mixtape intro once. (It's so pretty. :heart:)

I've also heard a couple of songs from The Album Leaf. I'll have to make sure to look into that some time. It's so hard keeping up with things you really want to listen to. I have a list of things that just keeps growing and growing, and even though I mean to check out certain things, I somehow forget.

I think you've given me a good starting place. Thanks so much! :D

That's something you need to keep in mind; post-rock songs can get VERY long. GY!BE has a song called Sleep that's 23 minutes long, DMST has The Fare To Get There at 19.5 minutes long, Stereolab's Blue Milk at 11 minutes long, EITS's With Tired etc., We Slept at 13 minutes long... you get my point. But what I'm getting at with 3rd wave is that you need to focus on the diamonds in the rough, a lot of talentless hacks in that wave. EITS is another good start for post-rock.

Broken Social Scene has Feel Good Lost and Bee Hives, those albums have that ambient rock feel to them that's a key ingredient in a lot of post-rock. They're a really talented band, not even just in indie rock and the Toronto music scene. Kevin Drew and Charles Spearin had a side project called KC Accidental, which put out two albums (recently reissued on A&C) and it's like BSS meets DMST. Worth checking out.

But yeah, check it all out and tell me what you think. Shoot me a PM or something, given this thread is for Sigur Ros. :D

INNI - THE DEFINITIVE SIGUR RÓS LIVE EXPERIENCE

COMING THIS NOVEMBER

Inni is comprised of a double live album and seventy-five minute film of Sigur Rós' last show before their well-documented "indefinite hiatus" at the end of 2008.

Recorded and shot over two nights at London's Alexandra Palace at the close of the world tour around their fifth full length album, með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust, Inni sees the band at the peak of their powers, captured on film for the first time as a core four-piece since they were joined by string section amiina at the start of the century. Directed by Vincent Morisset (Arcade Fire's Miroir Noir), the film is set to debut at this year's Venice Film Festival on September 3rd, 2011.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Do Make Say Think, hands-down. Get You, "You're A History In Rust" and "Goodbye Enemy Airship The Landlord Is Dead", the rest of their albums are great too. It's not exactly post-rock, but try Broken Social Scene's "Feel Good Lost", it's a great bridge to get into the feel for it all. :)

Slint's album "Spiderland", Talk Talk's "Spirit Of Eden" and "Laughing Stock", a couple Stereolab albums, all of Tortoise, all of The Album Leaf and Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and maybe some Mogwai if that's what you like. A Silver Mt. Zion is pretty good, too.

In terms of third wave, EITS, Mono, and God Is An Astronaut are your best bets. Third wave tends to get really repetitive, a lot of the bands are hit-or-miss. *shels is a nice little band I've picked up recently, they put out an album earlier this year called "Plains Of The Purple Buffalo", check that one out too. Hope that helps!

http://shelsmusic.com/

surprised you didn't mention This Will Destroy You!, Caspian, or Saxon Shore, seeing that you're clearly versed in the genre (I second Do Make Say Think btw)

These are just names though. As far as classic albums go, GY!BE's "Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven" is easily one of the top 3 greatest and most famous post-rock albums. And for coming from a classical background, it's composed more akin to a type of symphony.

Mogwai's debut "Young Team" is also probably a must-hear for post-rock fans.

INNI - THE DEFINITIVE SIGUR RÓS LIVE EXPERIENCE

COMING THIS NOVEMBER

Inni is comprised of a double live album and seventy-five minute film of Sigur Rós' last show before their well-documented "indefinite hiatus" at the end of 2008.

Recorded and shot over two nights at London's Alexandra Palace at the close of the world tour around their fifth full length album, með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust, Inni sees the band at the peak of their powers, captured on film for the first time as a core four-piece since they were joined by string section amiina at the start of the century. Directed by Vincent Morisset (Arcade Fire's Miroir Noir), the film is set to debut at this year's Venice Film Festival on September 3rd, 2011.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

It is going to be absolutely amazing :heart:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...