✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

Thanks diogo, I had! Be patient, I ran away :D So......

I went to a language summer school for two weeks. It was a kind of a camp with lessons during the day.

Once we were going for a trip by bus. There was girl (she was about 13 years old) sitting next to me and listening to music on earphones quite loudly. I didn't have to eavsdrop to hear the familiar sound of Up&Up! I couldn't contain myself and I told her that I like her music taste. She seemed pretty suprised and just responded "Thank you". :)

One of the trips that we had was to Cantenbury - the city where Guy had been living since he was 12. Sadly, I didn't have enough time to visit the school that he had attended.

I love the fact that some of the people from our staff were only 19 so they normally talked to us. One of them was Alicia (fun fact: we have almost the same names). Once we were talking about music and I told her that I'm a crazy Coldplay fan. She responded that she knows most of their songs and that she attended of one of the shows in Manchester. I was soooooo happy - she was the first Coldplayer that I've ever met! Well, she's not so obsessed as I am, but still, it's amazing! She's such a lovely person.

One day I went to a local food shop. I was on my way to the till but I stopped. THEY PLAYED GOD PUT A SMILEY UPON YOUR FACE. In a small food shop. So I spent next 3 minutes walking around, pretending that boxes of cereals are particularly interesting and trying to stop myself from singing...

The next trip that we had was to London. I was getting ready when I called Mojan's thread to mind (the one about meeting other Coldplayers in London). So I messaged her and later we planned our meeting in a really spontaneous way. And we did it! I'm so glad that I met you and your lovely mum! I hope that we'll meet again soon :)

But it wasn't the end of the day. Our group came back to the town a little bit earlier than it was planned so I spent a few hours on the beach with my friend from Colombia. When I was going back home I saw a guy in a t-shirt from Mylo Xyloto Tour! I told him that I love it and he said something like they mean a world to him. I think that he lived on the same street as I but I've never seen him again. That was such a good day...

The following day we had a trip to Oxford. I completely forgot that Oxfam is from Oxford! Seeing Oxfam's shop made me realise that. I walked in and I saw these Stand As One wristbands that (if I'm not mistaken) are given out to volunteers before Coldplay's show. I was so so so happy when I saw these and I had to buy one. Soon I'll also add the picture of the shop. I don't have it now as I took them with my friend's phone.

1294ba95d5ef59deb78e2198b9f2d917.jpg

Once I was talking with one guy from the staff and he told me that his teacher was Chris' head master! He used to teach in Devon but he moved to the Eastern part of the UK. He's the one who told Chris that he's rubbish at playing the piano when he heard him playing during the breakes. You can't imagine how happy/suprised/shocked/confused I was when I heard that!

During this camp I met an adorable girl from Ukraine called Anastasiia. When I started talking about Coldplay she told me that she really likes See you soon. I was suprised as it's not a song that you'd expect to be liked by a person who is not even a fan of Coldplay. She explained that this song was mentioned in a book called "50 days before my suicide". It was nice to hear that there are people who appreciate some older, less popular songs by Coldplay.

I had a horribly boring teacher - Michael. But there was a one, really good side of his lessons - he played us some songs and gave us papers with lyrics that we had to fill in. He was always playing only The Beatles's songs but during the last lesson he played VIVA LA VIDA. And it was from Live 2012. What. I filled in all the lyrics before he put the CD in a player. I didn't even try to stop myself from singing and quietly saying the words that Chris randomly says to the audience. After the song ended I had to go to the bathroom because I started to cry with happiness...

Sadly, my trip was making its way towards the end. I was in a taxi making my way to the airport when the driver turned on the radio and Adventure of a Lifetime was being played. It was the perfect ending. I hope that you enjoyed my stories ;).

Meeting you was great :)

Thank you for it [emoji8] , I'd never met another Coldplayer in real life before. I'm glad you enjoyed it here.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

That is one of my favorite little interview snippets. :) Coldplay's music has changed a lot, for better or worse, but videos like this one are so heartwarming because you can see the personal journey that Chris has taken across the band's career.

It's almost like a story arc from X&Y to AHFOD. Chris has gone from from feeling confused, unconfident, and incomplete (X&Y), to philosophical and trying to find answers (Viva), fighting the darkness in the world (MX), hitting rock bottom when his marriage fell apart (most of Ghost Stories), and finally realizing the beauty of life and accepting himself the way he is (the last 2 tracks of Ghost Stories, Miracles, and all of AHFOD).

Now all of a sudden I know what the band meant when they said that AHFOD is like the final book in a series.

That's exactly why I can't understand how coldplay fans can truly HATE any of their albums, especially like MX, GS or AHFOD which often get hate. Like, I get that one might prefer their old style of music (I sometimes like it better as well) and that's totally fine and understandable but their work means so much as a whole. You can see so much of a personal journey in it and it would be incomplete without any one of their albums.

And I also get that thing about AHFOD being the closing of a chapter more and more. Sometimes it takes time to fully understand the meaning of all their music and everything they say, but in the end, it all makes so much sense.

• Like 6

I went to a language summer school for two weeks. It was a kind of a camp with lessons during the day.

Once we were going for a trip by bus. There was girl (she was about 13 years old) sitting next to me and listening to music on earphones quite loudly. I didn't have to eavsdrop to hear the familiar sound of Up&Up! I couldn't contain myself and I told her that I like her music taste. She seemed pretty suprised and just responded "Thank you". :)

One of the trips that we had was to Cantenbury - the city where Guy had been living since he was 12. Sadly, I didn't have enough time to visit the school that he had attended.

I love the fact that some of the people from our staff were only 19 so they normally talked to us. One of them was Alicia (fun fact: we have almost the same names). Once we were talking about music and I told her that I'm a crazy Coldplay fan. She responded that she knows most of their songs and that she attended of one of the shows in Manchester. I was soooooo happy - she was the first Coldplayer that I've ever met! Well, she's not so obsessed as I am, but still, it's amazing! She's such a lovely person.

One day I went to a local food shop. I was on my way to the till but I stopped. THEY PLAYED GOD PUT A SMILEY UPON YOUR FACE. In a small food shop. So I spent next 3 minutes walking around, pretending that boxes of cereals are particularly interesting and trying to stop myself from singing...

The next trip that we had was to London. I was getting ready when I called Mojan's thread to mind (the one about meeting other Coldplayers in London). So I messaged her and later we planned our meeting in a really spontaneous way. And we did it! I'm so glad that I met you and your lovely mum! I hope that we'll meet again soon :)

But it wasn't the end of the day. Our group came back to the town a little bit earlier than it was planned so I spent a few hours on the beach with my friend from Colombia. When I was going back home I saw a guy in a t-shirt from Mylo Xyloto Tour! I told him that I love it and he said something like they mean a world to him. I think that he lived on the same street as I but I've never seen him again. That was such a good day...

The following day we had a trip to Oxford. I completely forgot that Oxfam is from Oxford! Seeing Oxfam's shop made me realise that. I walked in and I saw these Stand As One wristbands that (if I'm not mistaken) are given out to volunteers before Coldplay's show. I was so so so happy when I saw these and I had to buy one. Soon I'll also add the picture of the shop. I don't have it now as I took them with my friend's phone.

Once I was talking with one guy from the staff and he told me that his teacher was Chris' head master! He used to teach in Devon but he moved to the Eastern part of the UK. He's the one who told Chris that he's rubbish at playing the piano when he heard him playing during the breakes. You can't imagine how happy/suprised/shocked/confused I was when I heard that!

During this camp I met an adorable girl from Ukraine called Anastasiia. When I started talking about Coldplay she told me that she really likes See you soon. I was suprised as it's not a song that you'd expect to be liked by a person who is not even a fan of Coldplay. She explained that this song was mentioned in a book called "50 days before my suicide". It was nice to hear that there are people who appreciate some older, less popular songs by Coldplay.

I had a horribly boring teacher - Michael. But there was a one, really good side of his lessons - he played us some songs and gave us papers with lyrics that we had to fill in. He was always playing only The Beatles's songs but during the last lesson he played VIVA LA VIDA. And it was from Live 2012. What. I filled in all the lyrics before he put the CD in a player. I didn't even try to stop myself from singing and quietly saying the words that Chris randomly says to the audience. After the song ended I had to go to the bathroom because I started to cry with happiness...

Sadly, my trip was making its way towards the end. I was in a taxi making my way to the airport when the driver turned on the radio and Adventure of a Lifetime was being played. It was the perfect ending. I hope that you enjoyed my stories ;).

Glad you enjoyed your trip, and that you had so many Coldplayincidences !! :D

• Like 2

What a great story!! It's amazing how Coldplay can be in so many different places all around the world, they are definitely a huge phenomenon! Love what you said about AOAL being played in your taxi, the same thing happened to me when I took a taxi in Barcelona after the CP concert! It was my perfect ending as well... what a beautiful coincidence :cheesy:

• Like 5

That's exactly why I can't understand how coldplay fans can truly HATE any of their albums, especially like MX, GS or AHFOD which often get hate. Like, I get that one might prefer their old style of music (I sometimes like it better as well) and that's totally fine and understandable but their work means so much as a whole. You can see so much of a personal journey in it and it would be incomplete without any one of their albums.

And I also get that thing about AHFOD being the closing of a chapter more and more. Sometimes it takes time to fully understand the meaning of all their music and everything they say, but in the end, it all makes so much sense.

Well, I have to say that of course this journey idea or the idea of the albums making sense as a whole series is nice, but I just wanted to say that most of the hate for the new albums is not about the themes, but about the sound. Nobody would complain if they had showed their happiness and acceptance of life's beauty etc. with original sounding and off-mainstream soundscapes. But when songs like ETIAW and AOAL and HFTW and actually the entire AHFOD album sound like most of the stuff that is on the radio nowadays, I can understand why fans of the old style are disappointed. Coldplay music used to be very deep and warm and organic, a common criticism is that it sounds very plastic now, which is due to the production making it sound like your average 2010's dancepop song. Happy music need not be dancey and poppy - for example Viva La Vida is one of the most soaring and celebratory songs of all time, but it has an original sound and soundscape and does not have to rely on those disco beats and other Stargatisms. The music is what the criticism is all about, not the themes. :)

• Like 6

Yes! Now let's just hope that, "in the end" isn't THE end of Coldplay!

• Like 3

Just saw this ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLDPLAY-STAGE-USED-SET-LIST-BAND-DAY-SHEET-opener-S-U-SET-LIST-V-H-T-G-/191934696647?hash=item2cb0330cc7:g:a3wAAOSwZVlXljlu

and it made me a bit sad cause I tried to get a setlist on that day but the roadie I asked (C-stage area/sound tent next to it) said they did not have any printouts, guess printed ones were only around the main stage then. I have the feeling that some people just grab these setlists for trying to resell them at a high price, not because they actually care about the setlist :-/

Did anyone else happen to catch the funniest/ oddest thing Chris said about Johhny on the 24th of July in Chicago? Somewhere right before Up and Up, I think, he said something like, "Johhny, the man with the best taste in underwear!" TMI !![emoji33].

Also, heard Up and Up when parking yesterday. Had to stay and listen until realizing I'd be late! Why is it that I did this even when I know I have the better version on my phone? What is it about hearing a song you own on the radio that compels you to listen? To me, it is like a bit of mini-concert-going adrenaline rush! Is it just me?

• Like 9

Just saw this ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLDPLAY-STAGE-USED-SET-LIST-BAND-DAY-SHEET-opener-S-U-SET-LIST-V-H-T-G-/191934696647?hash=item2cb0330cc7:g:a3wAAOSwZVlXljlu

and it made me a bit sad cause I tried to get a setlist on that day but the roadie I asked (C-stage area/sound tent next to it) said they did not have any printouts, guess printed ones were only around the main stage then. I have the feeling that some people just grab these setlists for trying to resell them at a high price, not because they actually care about the setlist :-/

Anything for a dollar. I'm with you. It's a shame. I wonder if there's a market for confetti, LOL!

Why is it that I did this even when I know I have the better version on my phone? What is it about hearing a song you own on the radio that compels you to listen? To me, it is like a bit of mini-concert-going adrenaline rush! Is it just me?

Anything for a dollar. I'm with you. It's a shame. I wonder if there's a market for confetti, LOL!

About the radio songs, it is the same with me ! Or when a song comes on in a shop, even if the sound is really bad, I feel compelled to listen to it intently !

I just did some research and turns out there is a market for confetti: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coldplay-AHFOD-Tour-Confetti-/182212467839?hash=item2a6cb59c7f:g:NMkAAOSw-FZXj-cu People bid $36 for a "large handful" of bird confetti ! I mean, I know birds are rare compared to stars but $36 ?? Well, the good news is that I still have my confetti bag and my Birds (and stars) are still "flying free" to any Coldplayer who lives in the United States and would like some in a letter (just send me a PM)!

Well, I have to say that of course this journey idea or the idea of the albums making sense as a whole series is nice, but I just wanted to say that most of the hate for the new albums is not about the themes, but about the sound. Nobody would complain if they had showed their happiness and acceptance of life's beauty etc. with original sounding and off-mainstream soundscapes. But when songs like ETIAW and AOAL and HFTW and actually the entire AHFOD album sound like most of the stuff that is on the radio nowadays, I can understand why fans of the old style are disappointed. Coldplay music used to be very deep and warm and organic, a common criticism is that it sounds very plastic now, which is due to the production making it sound like your average 2010's dancepop song. Happy music need not be dancey and poppy - for example Viva La Vida is one of the most soaring and celebratory songs of all time, but it has an original sound and soundscape and does not have to rely on those disco beats and other Stargatisms. The music is what the criticism is all about, not the themes. :)

That's true of course. But what I was saying is that I understand that especially older fans are dissapointed by the new sound, but I could never bring myself to entirely hate one of their albums when you hear Chris talking about how much meaning there is behind it.

• Like 1

Did anyone else happen to catch the funniest/ oddest thing Chris said about Johhny on the 24th of July in Chicago? Somewhere right before Up and Up, I think, he said something like, "Johhny, the man with the best taste in underwear!" TMI !![emoji33].

Also, heard Up and Up when parking yesterday. Had to stay and listen until realizing I'd be late! Why is it that I did this even when I know I have the better version on my phone? What is it about hearing a song you own on the radio that compels you to listen? To me, it is like a bit of mini-concert-going adrenaline rush! Is it just me?

That's funny haha[emoji23]

I get the same feeling when a song I really love plays on the radio, or when someone else suddenly plays it!

It's strange how the music can just be a background noise and then suddenly a song you love starts and it turns into all you hear. I often caught myself not listening to other people talking to me anymore when a coldplay song played haha[emoji23]

• Like 5

Hahahahaha [emoji23]

d9e04dd42e1ebc3ad02c511ce02cd091.jpg

Then did some searching and found this...

f7a3a0e7cbf7b68cb1c647dba3ab99a8.gif

x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Coldplaying mobile app

Ahaha I posted the pie chart to my Brother and part of the conversation went like this:

8d9394b7a63ac12a324d4df613024c43.jpg

x

• Like 2