✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

It's interesting how certain songs can get the "flavour" of whatever was happening in your life at the time that you were first exposed to them.

This is very true. I know for me, AROBTTH as an album always reminds me very strongly of home. The streets just seem to permeate the songs on that album, it's a very surreal experience for Clocks to come on the radio and be transported back to where you grew up. If I'm ever homesick it's the first album that goes on.

• Like 3

Guys i missed a lot. I really hope you are all feeling better now. :heart:

Unfortunately today is not well for me :(

I was craving for a chocolate cake and look :laugh4:

Took a car downtown and took what they offered me...[ATTACH=full]6032[/ATTACH]

LOL well put

Mr Berryman:

a3b14169dae88e09a80323825a6163f9.jpg

Thought I'd add some Coldplayness to the title of my wordsearch:

9a934a11100d2bd7dfc0c15a73fa95d7.jpg

x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Coldplaying mobile app

This is awesome :D

It's interesting how certain songs can get the "flavour" of whatever was happening in your life at the time that you were first exposed to them.

Just listened to Birds, Fun, Army of One and XMTS and they all take me back to the winter of 2015 at the American East Coast, to lonely days when it went dark much too early and that were much colder than anything I had experienced before, and a bleak winter that seemed to stretch out forever. :(

Everytime I hear these songs it is as if I am walking again in the biting cold and in an icy and terribly windy street that is dark even though it is only late afternoon. I have certain "images" or moments associated with each song, and since I only listen to them rarely they "conserve" their associations quite well.

(I also know a cure, by the way. If you listen to a song often enough, the association will eventually fade (not disappear, but get weaker). Successfully did that with Paradise which I also attach to a certain time in my life, because I didn't want to think about it every time I hear the song...)

I am the exact same way. Just like you I associate different songs with certain times of day or in some cases specific scenes. But overall a lot of the rare songs from Oldplay I associate with the winter of 2015 in general as that's when I was truly exploring what this magnificent band had to offer and over time as i got surrounded in this forum i learned new vocab to that did found alien at first like single or bside or production or anything like that. Cool how just being surrounded by it you automatically get an idea of it. Didn't even ask any questions, just had to act like I knew :P

i feel this all the time. every song on PM reminds me of late fall and early winter, because that's when the EP came out, and the same for MX... Warning Sign i always get a warm spring feeling from, like when you're driving in the car on a sunny day with the window rolled down and just feeling a nice breeze... most songs from Parachutes and AROBTTH remind me of spring, because that's when i was first listening to those albums. then VLV in the summer... so i have Coldplay for all seasons :P

PM I tend to associate with the spring and the weather that comes with in general. MX Is a fall album for me too, even early winter getting late into the album as the songs get darker, I like to think it's meant to be played starting in the afternoon then the final track is played when the sun is on the horizon, I know time doesn't actually go that fast but it feels like if Mylo were a drive in the country that is what it would be. :D

Warning Sign I associate with a sunset in winter. Just gives of that really sad cold vibe to me... Absolutely beautiful.

AROBTTH remind me of an overcast day in fall/winter. Parachutes reminds me of a night in the summer or early fall under the soft warm orange glow of the streetlights in a calm neighborhood. VLV reminds me of the early fall, yet some tracks remind me of summer and even spring. I strongly tie songs and albums to different settings like you, usually tending to be out in the country since that's where I listen to Coldplay a lot, when I get to be driven out there. Usually I find the album cover has a large impact for the color of the song to me...

• Like 4

This is very true. I know for me, AROBTTH as an album always reminds me very strongly of home. The streets just seem to permeate the songs on that album, it's a very surreal experience for Clocks to come on the radio and be transported back to where you grew up. If I'm ever homesick it's the first album that goes on.

Yes, you can use the associations in a healing way too if you are in distress or in a place you don't know and everything is unfamiliar, and then you can turn those albums on and they take your mind to a safe place, a kind of home away from home.

I have one question though: You probably listen to AROBTTH and the other Oldplay albums a lot. I personally find that the more you listen to songs in different settings, the more they dissociate from this original "image" for me. In a way, they get emotionally more neutral, if you know what I mean. That's why the associations work best in songs I rarely listen to.

This doesn't happen to you, as you listen to AROBTTH again and again in different places and circumstances, that the connection gets a little bit weaker ?

• Like 1

as you listen to AROBTTH again and again in different places and circumstances, that the connection gets a little bit weaker ?

Not at all, I find it only makes the connection stronger. Interesting how it diminishes the original "image" for you. Some songs on X&Y are so emotional for me I can't listen to them on any sort of regular basis because a certain person/place/time are seared into my memory despite me loving the songs otherwise.

I find once the original connection is made it's very hard to shake because even though other images/connections may be made with the song they're a lot less potent compared to when you first experienced the song.

• Like 3

Not at all, I find it only makes the connection stronger. Interesting how it diminishes the original "image" for you. Some songs on X&Y are so emotional for me I can't listen to them on any sort of regular basis because a certain person/place/time are seared into my memory despite me loving the songs otherwise.

I find once the original connection is made it's very hard to shake because even though other images/connections may be made with the song they're a lot less potent compared to when you first experienced the song.

i would say this is the same for me. especially if it transports you back so strongly that you don't have time to begin associating the songs with where you are now.

or sometimes a new association will form for me, but in addition to the old association. so when i hear the song i'll think back on both things at once.

• Like 1

A question to all here: has anyone heard a Coldplay B-side play in public before? I'm legitimately interested. That would be extremely rare. If anyone here has let me know. You are extremely lucky!!

Yes, you can use the associations in a healing way too if you are in distress or in a place you don't know and everything is unfamiliar, and then you can turn those albums on and they take your mind to a safe place, a kind of home away from home.

I like the idea of this. Coldplay is especially talented at this, personally I think the songs from Parachutes would be best for me as it reminds me of the soft warm orange glow the streetlights in my neighborhood... To make me feel comfortable and warm, especially thinking of We Never Change right now...

I have one question though: You probably listen to AROBTTH and the other Oldplay albums a lot. I personally find that the more you listen to songs in different settings, the more they dissociate from this original "image" for me. In a way, they get emotionally more neutral, if you know what I mean. That's why the associations work best in songs I rarely listen to.

This doesn't happen to you, as you listen to AROBTTH again and again in different places and circumstances, that the connection gets a little bit weaker ?

I know I'm not the person you were originally talking to but I figured I'd offer my input anyway: yes, I do think I am like you in this way. I think for me the main image still stays but gets weaker over time as i listen to it in different areas. An example is Viva la Vida. The very first time I heard it I was looking at the Windows XP background. To this day I still tie this song to a similar image yet lots of other colors have came in along the way, including the album cover mostly actually, which in my case actually tends to have perhaps the greatest impact on a "color" of a song. Sometimes i listen to a song before seeing the album art and get my own ideas of the color before seeing it, and then sometimes get disappointed the album cover is nothing like what I imagined. Then that color starts to take over, however no matter what the original color never goes away, that one scene is still meant to be listened to along with the song you know? That's why i like to say for example AROBTTH is meant to be listened to on overcast days, the album cover reminds me of it. Or X&Y on rainy days or sometimes in the dark as well. There's also generally a multitude of scenes that can be associated with songs. Like for me personally I think the best time to listen to "Warning Sign" would be on a winter day when the sun is close to setting, out driving in the country somewhere. I think this did actually happen once, there's this area a bit north of town that sometimes pops into my mind as i listen to this song. It was a great experience, if only it would happen again! But overcast days also tend to work well with this song. So yeah.

That's very interesting indeed how it works that way. Some songs I can't listen to anymore either, I think all Coldplay songs are fine but there's this one song I fell asleep to and woke up to in the time I learned someone I love so much had passed away. It is impossible for me to even think about now without getting extremely emotional.

The last part holds true for me though. The original image for me never goes away completely either!

Call it true, call it True Love x

cb4bb8eee6fea3ef34e7c15eb42619d9.jpg

That's what I'm listening right now[emoji173]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful quote!

I originally kind of liked it, than really disliked it for a while, and now I really do love to listen to it. So simple and straightforward lyrics, yet so powerful and relatable. Coldplay have seemed to do it all at this point. Very dynamic, that's one of the things a band needs to stay truly relevant!

• Like 2

Seeing all these 2017 Coldplay tour dates makes me sad. I feel like i'm waiting for something that isn't going to happen. I just wish they would see the existence of my place. I love Coldplay so much.

I totally get you.. We are traveling half way around the globe to see them again next year.. I hope you can do it too :)

• Like 2

I totally get you.. We are traveling half way around the globe to see them again next year.. I hope you can do it too :)

Aww good for you! Now for me, I'm afraid I won't be able to see them if they could not come here during the summer because by next year after summer is already promising to be an extremely busy term for me at uni! :sad2: :cry: Honestly, when i saw the newly released tour dates, I was on the verge of tears. How i wish they'd come here. It breaks my heart not to see them.

• Like 1

Just received an email from my boys. The temptation to travel outside of the UK to see them is unreal! Always wanted to go to Italy [emoji57] Ahhh it's filled me with so much excitement. The Wembley gig has left me wanting so much more. Hungry for Coldplay [emoji7] [emoji8] [emoji39] xxxx

• Like 3

Aww good for you! Now for me, I'm afraid I won't be able to see them if they could not come here during the summer because by next year after summer is already promising to be an extremely busy term for me at uni! :sad2: :cry: Honestly, when i saw the newly released tour dates, I was on the verge of tears. How i wish they'd come here. It breaks my heart not to see them.

I'm so sorry for you...

I can feel your pain.

Back in 2012 they came to Hannover which was near where I lived then.

Many of my friends went to the concert but I couldn't afford it.

I cried the whole evening when the concert happened.

I really really really hope that they'll come to your country!

• Like 3

Maybe I'm the only one of here that uses Google Play Music, but under their "All Albums" for Coldplay it has some kind of text to speech album that sounds like a crummy documentary that really shouldn't be there. It IS about the band after hearing about 10 seconds but it's pretty poor QC on Google's end. On the bright side it also has a bootleg of the 2014 iTunes Festival so I'll hang onto that one.

• Like 1