✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

Well there have been other parties of this type where only Chris was there. I guess that maybe it could be that most people don't know the rest of the band very well and Chris can stand on his own, being that he can also play various instruments.

I agree with you. That's what crossed my mind. Still it would be a pleasant surprise to find out that the whole band has just performed at a party altogether. :)

• Like 1

Oh for sure I would love to see the whole band perform, it would certainly make my day :D

It would also make my day!

I get the impression that Chris and the rest of the band are more and more drifting apart. Chris has played at the wedding of several rich people (Spain, India etc.), he seems to be very keen on getting as much money as possible, whilst the other members keep their feet on the ground. Chris even played without the band during the last Global Citizen's festival. As a curator it is he who decides who will play at the festival. So he either didn't want them to play or they didn't want to play with him.

Chris seems to be so completely immersed in the society of those super rich celebrities in L.A. that he probably isn't keen on playing together with his old bandmates. By the way, Phil has sold his house in L.A. and has returned to England. But Chris sings the praise of Malibu as his 'home town'. He lives in a world which is different to that of his bandmates.

I don't like Chris performing Coldplay songs alone. These songs don't belong to him, they belong to the whole band. Why doesn't he decline such offers and say 'I won't play without the three others???

• Like 1

I see your points, but I dont think its unreasonable for Chris to spend just a little bit of time away from the rest of the band. Chris Martin is more than just Coldplay. He is a father, he is a son, he is a brother, he has other friends.

To respond specifically to your last point about the songs not belonging to him, and saying he wont play without the rest of the band. Fair point again. But I also don't think he's such a diva to make such a claim. He's happy that people want to even have him around.

• Like 2

It would also make my day!

I get the impression that Chris and the rest of the band are more and more drifting apart. Chris has played at the wedding of several rich people (Spain, India etc.), he seems to be very keen on getting as much money as possible, whilst the other members keep their feet on the ground. Chris even played without the band during the last Global Citizen's festival. As a curator it is he who decides who will play at the festival. So he either didn't want them to play or they didn't want to play with him.

Chris seems to be so completely immersed in the society of those super rich celebrities in L.A. that he probably isn't keen on playing together with his old bandmates. By the way, Phil has sold his house in L.A. and has returned to England. But Chris sings the praise of Malibu as his 'home town'. He lives in a world which is different to that of his bandmates.

I don't like Chris performing Coldplay songs alone. These songs don't belong to him, they belong to the whole band. Why doesn't he decline such offers and say 'I won't play without the three others???

Guess he took No More Keeping My Feet on the Ground too seriously

• Like 3

I think there's nothing to worry about. Chris has done this so many times, performing without the other 3 or 2.

I actually think Guy, Will and Jonny are just enjoying their time off, being with their families and friends. I want them to have that, 'cause they simply need it.

They aren't types that want to be in the spotlights every time. Especially now they're not doing any tv shows/concerts/interviews and stuff.

• Like 5

I think there's nothing to worry about. Chris has done this so many times, performing without the other 3 or 2.

I actually think Guy, Will and Jonny are just enjoying their time off, being with their families and friends. I want them to have that.

They aren't types that want to be in the spotlights every time. Especially now they're not doing any tv shows/concerts/interviews etc.

I agree with @Gideon_Mx . As he mentioned, we shouldn't worry about it. Although it's unfortunate that lately Chris has been performing Coldplay's songs on his own, I'm sure he does it because he's keen on putting on a show. I also doubt that he would play those songs live without a permission or knowledge of Guy, Jonny or Will (or Phil). Perhaps he asks them whether they are fine with that. Maybe Chris truly knows how to cope with the spotlight, that's why he dares perform outside the band so often anywhere at any time. I don't think when the members are not together now it means they are drifting away from each other and turning into strangers or something. It's like they are free from job and each member is doing his own thing. Is this so wrong of them? They don't have to carry out everything as a band just because they are in one band. It's called solo or individual activities, right? They might have realized that they spent all their youth making and releasing music. Thus, they're taking a break to focus on their own families and stuff they wanted to do but couldn't when they were so busy with the music. I believe that we should be happy about the fact that the "boys" are enjoying their time off instead of being stressed out in a studio in rush to create another album just to make some fortune or please the record label at the moment...

• Like 5

I agree with @Gideon_Mx . As he mentioned, we shouldn't worry about it. Although it's unfortunate that lately Chris has been performing Coldplay's songs on his own, I'm sure he does it because he's keen on putting on a show. I also doubt that he would play those songs live without a permission or knowledge of Guy, Jonny or Will (or Phil). Perhaps he asks them whether they are fine with that. Maybe Chris truly knows how to cope with the spotlight, that's why he dares perform outside the band so often anywhere at any time. I don't think when the members are not together now it means they are drifting away from each other and turning into strangers or something. It's like they are free from job and each member is doing his own thing. Is this so wrong of them? They don't have to carry out everything as a band just because they are in one band. It's called solo or individual activities, right? They might have realized that they spent all their youth making and releasing music. Thus, they're taking a break to focus on their own families and stuff they wanted to do but couldn't when they were so busy with the music. I believe that we should be happy about the fact that the "boys" are enjoying their time off instead of being stressed out in a studio in rush to create another album just to make some fortune or please the record label at the moment...

Precisely.

Now it's time for them to take a break and do things they want.

In order to get more inspiration for writing new music (hopefully soon)!

• Like 4

Well in the process of writing my response everyone has already said what I wanted to get out. :p

I would only like to add this: lets not forget that they just came out out of an almost two year tour where in the middle of it they released an EP and recorded who knows how many more songs with their moveable studio. The AHFOD film made it very clear that now they feel more fulfilled than ever as band! This the calm before the storm that will be LP8 I'm sure!

• Like 3

Well in the process of writing my response everyone has already said what I wanted to get out. :p

I would only like to add this: lets not forget that they just came out out of an almost two year tour where in the middle of it they released an EP and who knows how many more songs they recorded for their moving studio. The AHFOD film made it very clear that now they feel more fulfilled than ever as band! This the calm before the storm that will be LP8 I'm sure!

Who knows..........

This might be just the beginning :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I would only like to add this: lets not forget that they just came out out of an almost two year tour where in the middle of it they released an EP and recorded who knows how many more songs with their moveable studio. The AHFOD film made it very clear that now they feel more fulfilled than ever as band! This is the calm before the storm that will be LP8 I'm sure!

Couldn't agree more. :D

Sometimes time off and time away from people you have been with intensively for 20 years revitalizes relationships. In this case, revitalizes their creative energy and desire to make music together. Chris is doing his own thing, Guy is off doing his own things, Will, Jonny and Phil are presumably spending time with family. All is good.

Let's not forget they really haven't had an extended break for 20 years, and they are off the back of their biggest tour ever.

I know it's hard. I desperately want Coldplay to come back every day. I have not experienced the hype before an LP yet as a superfan (I jumped in right after AHFOD released). But all we can do right now is be patient. I have faith they will be back to work at some point this year and release something by the end of next year.

• Like 6

Sometimes time off and time away from people you have been with intensively for 20 years revitalizes relationships. In this case, revitalizes their creative energy and desire to make music together. Chris is doing his own thing, Guy is off doing his own things, Will, Jonny and Phil are presumably spending time with family. All is good..

I completely agree with you. They need a break. They have worked so hard for 20 years, perhaps they have spent all their energy and creativity and are now off to do other things. Even if they stop singing and playing together we should be grateful that they have given us so many wonderful songs.

Chris is the only one who goes on singing because he simply can't stay out of the limelight. He always said he didn't want a solo career, but if he has changed his mind, ok. But he shouldn't sing Coldplay songs and pretend they are his own. I can imagine Jonny, Will and Guy feel sad and angry about it.

Chris is the only one who goes on singing because he simply can't stay out of the limelight. He always said he didn't want a solo career, but if he has changed his mind, ok. But he shouldn't sing Coldplay songs and pretend they are his own. I can imagine Jonny, Will and Guy feel sad and angry about it.

Sad and angry? Chris is their friend, and he wrote the songs. They’re totally ok with Chris playing Coldplay songs. Him showing up at some rich couple’s wedding for $$$ /could/ be something else but if there’s one thing that’s very clear from the AHFOD documentary, it’s that the guys respect each other completely

• Like 5

But he shouldn't sing Coldplay songs and pretend they are his own. I can imagine Jonny, Will and Guy feel sad and angry about it.

If Jonny, Will or Guy went and performed the songs themselves, i dont think Chris would be upset.

I really dont think J, W, or G enjoy/embrace the limelight as much as C does. So think of it that way: C alone can promote the Coldplay brand without J, W, or G having to do anything. I think they'll take that option.

• Like 2

In other news:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/imagine-dragons-dan-reynolds-responds-to-criticism-from-slipknot-and-the-1975-2455097

I feel like this is relevant to Coldplay and us as fans of the band. We've been on that side of the road as well being the butt end of jokes and being told the music we like sucks. I don't know that I expect or want Chris or something to come and say something like this, but it is refreshing to hear.

I actually found this news on reddit, and one of the posters said, "well, they're rich, they should stop complaining". I hear that before as well, but another poster rebutted that its not so much feeling band for the band, but the fans of the band that have to sit through ridicule and bullying because their music isn't cool. Then this poster came and said thats not a real thing, no one ever gets bullied because of their music tastes. I mean, are you kidding me? How many of you out there in the fandom have been ridiculed, or feel a bit silly telling others you're a Coldplay fan? I definitely have : /

• Like 4

In other news:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/imagine-dragons-dan-reynolds-responds-to-criticism-from-slipknot-and-the-1975-2455097

I feel like this is relevant to Coldplay and us as fans of the band. We've been on that side of the road as well being the butt end of jokes and being told the music we like sucks. I don't know that I expect or want Chris or something to come and say something like this, but it is refreshing to hear.

I actually found this news on reddit, and one of the posters said, "well, they're rich, they should stop complaining". I hear that before as well, but another poster rebutted that its not so much feeling band for the band, but the fans of the band that have to sit through ridicule and bullying because their music isn't cool. Then this poster came and said thats not a real thing, no one ever gets bullied because of their music tastes. I mean, are you kidding me? How many of you out there in the fandom have been ridiculed, or feel a bit silly telling others you're a Coldplay fan? I definitely have : /

It's unbelievable that there are still bands that say such awful things about other bands...........

Really, really, really sad :scream:

• Like 3

How many of you out there in the fandom have been ridiculed, or feel a bit silly telling others you're a Coldplay fan? I definitely have

I haven't actually been ridiculed, but I have some friends who just can't understand that I like Coldplay. Chris has often said: 'If you like Coldplay, it's great. If you don't like us, it's fine, too. I have adopted that attitude. When someone makes jokes about Coldplay I often ask that person what exactly he means and often it turns out that he can't really say why he doesn't like Coldplay. So when I tell him why I like Coldplay he often drops the subject.

Anyway, I am very glad that we are fans of a band who never ever have said anything bad about another band!

• Like 5

You are right, the rest of the band would never do that, they aren't greedy.

How do you know he got money at all and if so, what happened with it?

It might as well have been an agreement for a donation towards a charity ... or if not, somebody getting paid for work they did. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, at least I am glad that happens to me every day ;)

At the end of the day I don't know what the agreement was, but I don't have to as it's none of my personal business ...

• Like 1

I haven't actually been ridiculed, but I have some friends who just can't understand that I like Coldplay. Chris has often said: 'If you like Coldplay, it's great. If you don't like us, it's fine, too. I have adopted that attitude. When someone makes jokes about Coldplay I often ask that person what exactly he means and often it turns out that he can't really say why he doesn't like Coldplay. So when I tell him why I like Coldplay he often drops the subject.

Anyway, I am very glad that we are fans of a band who never ever have said anything bad about another band!

Keep that attitude for a lot of things in your life and it will get a lot easier ... everybody is entitled to their own likes, dislikes and opinions. How often I ended a discussion with "Let's agree to disagree" before there was a serious damage in the relationship to a person I really like and would like to be in my life. Not worth giving that up over something you might have an opinion on, but can't change somebody else's thinking anyway ... at least in my opinion.

My impression is that Chris just loves to perform. He can't help himself, it is what makes him feel alive, and I think he will accept offers to do what he loves. He's done side gigs when they aren't touring for years. He even said once he would be willing to play a wedding for $$$ which was joking but it looks like he does do it sometimes. I think he is a productive person who likes to have work.

I think the rest of the band prefers perform in context of a tour. And they are on a break. So I don't read too much into it personally. Sure with the distance they have grown up and apart as we often do as we grow older. But deep friendships can withstand those things.

• Like 4