• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• busybeeburns

• Reilly

• bart

• Black Rose

Top Posters In This Topic

BUmIIC1CQAAHZ2I.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Another huge <a href="https://twitter.com/premierleague">@PremierLeague</a> weekend! Keep your Fantasy squad ahead of the pack with these <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23FPL&src=hash">#FPL</a> transfer tips: <a href="http://t.co/IFdUOEqy6D">pic.twitter.com/IFdUOEqy6D</a></p>— EA SPORTS FIFA (@EASPORTSFIFA) <a href="https://twitter.com/EASPORTSFIFA/statuses/380985315260776448">September 20, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland sack head coach after 13 games

_70048467_mmftbplwbasunpdccrowd.png

Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland sack head coach after 13 games

Sunderland have sacked head coach Paolo Di Canio after a poor start to the season left the Black Cats bottom of the Premier League table.

The 45-year-old Italian has won three of his 13 matches since being appointed in March and taken only one point from five league games this campaign.

"An announcement will be made in due course regarding a permanent successor," read a club statement.

In the meantime, coach Kevin Ball will take charge of the first-team squad.

Sunderland are now looking for their sixth permanent manager in less than five years.

The statement added: "The club would like to place on record its thanks to Paolo and his staff and wishes them well for the future."

Ball's opening duty is to prepare the side for Tuesday's home Capital One Cup third-round match against Peterborough United at the Stadium of Light.

Sunderland then host Liverpool on Sunday and Manchester United on 5 October, with the Wear-Tyne derby against Newcastle on 27 October.

After guiding Swindon to promotion from League Two in 2012, Di Canio succeeded Martin O'Neill at the Stadium of Light on 31 March but later admitted he feared the sack in the immediate controversy over his arrival.

Embarking upon his first Premier League job, Di Canio had to fend off questions about whether he held fascist beliefs.

He was backed by Sunderland chairman Ellis Short and endeared himself to the fans with a 3-0 victory at Newcastle in his second game as boss.

But Di Canio's men were thrashed 6-1 by Aston Villa and failed to win their final three fixtures, finishing one place above the relegation zone.

This season started with a home loss to Fulham before the Wearsiders drew at Southampton and conceded nine goals in defeats against Crystal Palace, Arsenal and, most recently, West Brom.

After the 3-0 loss at The Hawthorns on Saturday, Di Canio walked over to face the travelling supporters, who made their feelings clear.

"I absorb the insults as it's part of the game - if I was in their position I'd be furious," he said. "But I'm professional: 24 hours a day I work for this cause. One day their reaction will be a different reaction.

"I knew that they were furious. I went to them because I wanted to see their faces. It's easy to go over when they're clapping or singing your name. I'm responsible but my head is up. I won't give up.

"It's obvious we're still not together. We don't have many leaders in terms of desire to play with a premier style.

"I'm never going to change my regime. I am what I am. My way to manage the team is for the top, top level. I have to be clear to everyone - the board, the chairman, the fans - I'm never going to change.

"One day, if I receive the full support from the players, we will turn the corner."

Di Canio publicly criticised some of his squad at the end of last season and worked with director of football Roberto De Fanti and chief scout Valentino Angeloni to sign 14 new players in the summer.

His buys cost £19m in total and included AZ Alkmaar striker Jozy Altidore, Italy international Emanuele Giaccherini and Arsenal goalkeeper Vito Mannone.

But left-back Danny Rose returned to Tottenham following a loan spell, while Sunderland sold goalkeeper Simon Mignolet to Liverpool and, on transfer deadline day, forward Stephane Sessegnon to West Brom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24199626

this should be a game to nil, Utd are looking truly awful

Very poor infact. I was dissapointed by the lack of Fight. Serious problems maybe I think Ferninand was a fault for most of the goals. Is someone going to accept now he is past it and just not cutting the mustard.

Watched in a bar in Rome. I refrained from wearing my Cty scarf considering the was a Rome Deby on.

They didn't mention Fellaine on MOTD but he was pittiful. A shadow of what Scholes was. He put Vidic & Ferdinand in trouble for at least 2 of the goals by being too far forward. When the ball was lost he only made token efforts to track back & left massive holes in mid-field. Rubbish.