✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Anyone only like certain parts of 42?

letdown

This one was a bit of a let down for me.

I really like Part 1, don't care much for Part 2 (sounds like a spinoff version of Go to Sleep guitar riffs), and Part 3 I really don't like.. I think it sucks to be honest. I wish I could like this song in its entirety, but it's just not working for me. don't think this one quite works like a 3 part epic they had intended it to be. It starts off so well, and I don't know what happens in the middle and in the end. So much for going slightly experimental (within the realm of Coldplay world)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not understanding the hype around this song myself. It's very odd. The first minute has a nice sound, except the lyrics make me go :confused: Then it shifts gears and features a string section, which doesn't agree with me at all (the subtle dissonance makes me cringe)

third part has lyrics that make me go :confused: again

so in picture form, this song makes me go :confused::veryangry::confused:

The middle section sounds like something off an action game. :lol:

the beginning and last parts of the song are awesome :)

you can really hear the John lennon influences in the song

Exactly, that weird action game sound. that's what i said, it's all pixel sounding gamer-esque sound...

the beginning and last are good. Though the lyrics do get tiring after a while....

most songs of this album have this structure:

slow-rhytm-slow

i like how it goes, but that all songs have the same structure is not good....

and btw i think that the lyrics and music fits, slow when lyrics are 'sad', rhytmical when not.

may be that is too basic but...

anyways i think that they will improve it live :D

and what i was most curious about this song were the whole lyrics more than how it would sound to be honest.

i think this song played out in three songs would make more sense, but as one it kind of masses into this weird mix of like, water, milk and oil. It doesn't really mix, but i kind of love the weirdness. Maybe its the first listen stuff playing on me, but I'm enjoying, if not entirely loving, this experimental nature. I do wish the lyrics more befit the song. Like "You thought you might be a ghost, you didn't get to heaven but you made it close"...that seems like a fucking deadly powerful line, but the way it comes out in the song its catchy. It's weird, but at this moment I enjoy the weirdness.

I like the first part of soft, everyday life sound of the first part. The second part is just plain weird, while the third part is alright, but nothing overly special.

I think the big problem with this song is these 3 parts don't fit together at all. 3-part epics are like a puzzle. Each 3 pieces have to fit together to make one whole song. These just don't.

I like all 3 parts... 42 is the most original song they could ever write... it surprises you changing radically and I just love it for its several moods. I don't see it like a next single cause it's too strange but it's really their masterpiece IMO

Just my personal opinion, but I think the whole opus/masterpiece thing is exaggerated. I just hear it as 3 song ideas glued together as they were too weak to be developed into songs of thier own, so nothing overly special.

Not to say I dont like the song, but given all the hype I was a little letdown.

And I dont think this song would've worked as a single, no matter what the previews said.

definitely not a single...too weird. but yeah, the three parts kind of stick in my head truthfully. this is one of the songs I can't get out of my head, and I'm not mad its there.

this one was a grower for me. first few listens I was like, "wtf are thinking", but after a few more I can appreciate it for its different nature. it seems a throwback to x & y though

you know what i always do when i listen to a new coldplay song? i open up widely inside and try to avoid any kind of judgement. i let the song in and when i don't go in the first time i listen to it another time, and again and again while doing something else. and this way i experienced true wonders when the song suddenly grabs me from behind and i fall into extase in my heart. this way i got a fan of them anyway. five years ago. i listened and listened without any feeling and judgement. and suddenly it took over me like a tide and washed me away.

i also try not to compare. its like youre looking at a painting of whoever and if you only see strokes like picasso and colours like van gogh you can never see the painting in front of you, can you?

and this is what i wanted to say: I LOOOVE 42 now too!!!!!!!!!!