✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

21-May-2009: Nissan Pavilion, Washington, DC, USA

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night at Nissan was my fourth time seeing Coldplay in the last four years. I have to say, each time it gets better. I sat in the first row on the right after the mosh pit. Remembering how the guys left the stage to get to the back crowd at Verizon (where I happened to be 5 feet from them then), I was able to see them jog past me as they headed to the back of the crowd. I screamed, "WILL!!," and he gave my hand a high five. Then Chris ran by and I touched his shoulder. WHen they finished their set, they came back the same way and i kinda grabbed Chris' arm- SORRY! Nevertheless, it was a memorable night- 'Fix You' always has me crying, and the yellow confetti filled balloons were awesome- didn't get those at Verizon last year when they performed 'Yellow.' I'm still trying to find out where I can get that techno version of Vivia la Vida that played while they madee their way back from visiting the Lawn. Anybody know, I'd greatly appreciated it. Thank you Nissan Pavilion for allowing me to bring my Nikon SLR w/ long zoom- (no, it's not a professional camera)- but the shots that I took 300+ was worth it! I even scooped up a whole bunch of butterflies that landed in front of me to put in my scrapbook. he BEST concert I have ever been to. Thanks. - Elizabeth M.

Awesome story !

I hope you didn't rip his arm off :P

Hope you'll come back to show us your pics ;)

HOLY CRAP!!!! That was the best night. First concert in many years and first time seeing Coldplay. WOWWOWWOW!!! Got to lot at 3:45 and had to do a loop three times before they let us in. Maybe 10 people there already. Met Zoe and Liz though did not realize it at first. I sat across from them in the shade of the trash can. I think I asked Liz if she was worried about wearing flipflops. Zoe gave us the scoop on things. It was great putting a face to a name. Thanks to Zoe for getting the people to let us in around the same time as the BEST BUY Losers (though I wish I had my card). Sprinted for the pit and ended up front and center. AHHHHH! So exciting. Pete Yorn quite hot. The crowd around us was great. I had to leave and pee twice and everytime I got right back to my space just feet from Chris. I think I'm still in a daze over the show and being so close to them. During a moment of silence the girl next to me yelled 'I love you' to Chris. He said thank you to her and I thought she was gonna faint. She just kept saying 'He talked to me'. It was great. Lots of energy/butterflies. Wish it never ended. I just gotta say they are incredible to watch and now I'm even crazier about Chris. That man is just to awesome and flexible in every way. Saw Zoe after, bag full of butterlies and set list in hand. Amazing. Only bummer is that its over and why did they point out that they won't be back in D.C. for a long time. How long is long? BOOHOO. Where is Liz? I want to hear this news.

Aaaaah that was amazing! Got there much later than expected, but still managed to snag a spot near the front, and met some of you awesome Coldplayers :D I hope Liz gets on soon, I'm dying to hear what everyone thought. I'm almost positive Jonny smiled at me, but I don't really care, the whole experience was beyond words.

I hope the next album doesn't take too long, as I need to see them again in this lifetime, and I hope I see some Coldplayers too!

I'll upload pictures when my laptop gets fixed, hopefully this weekend.

Zoe - You got a setlist? That's awesome! :bomb:

this guy managed to bring in superb camera!

those photos are mad!

they're pretty good, says its a nikon d40, which is what i use. but that's a dslr which you can't bring? if i could have gotten away with that camera..... oh, i'm MAD now!

I'm pretty sure; the setlist seems to be pretty concrete.

I'm also kind of surprised at the crowd response in those YouTube videos; everyone around me knew all of the words, and we were definitely loud, so I hope they got some energy from our section, at least. (The boy and girl next to me were dancing and having a great time; Coldplayers at heart, if they're not members on here already!)

Aww, it was so amazing! The weather was beautiful, Pete Yorn was really great and my homemade Viva jacket seems to just keep doing its trick. My friend Kathryn came with me and my family (it was her first Coldplay!) and as we're walking to our separate seats, these two girls came up to us and started to gush over my jacket, along with the homemade Viva tote bag, my 'Strawberry Swing' shirt and my Jonny hat. They took pictures with their iPhone and then told us to close our eyes. They proceeded to give us tickets in the pit. My parents and sister were on the lawn and I told them that they were diehard fans as well. We switched tickets with my mom and went down. A few minutes later, my sister comes with an orange wristband! My parents took our actual physical not-lawn seats. Howling Bells and Pete Yorn, amazing.

The three of us had a great time. Still, the butterflies during 'Lovers in Japan' were magical and 'Strawberry Swing' and 'Green Eyes' were my personal favorites. There were too many rude and / or drunk people there in the pit, but it was good. We all bought shirts and I got some stickers for my car. Chris' dragon was adorable! Saw Roadie 42 and loved the fact that they used the Grammy 'Sgt. Pepper on acid' jackets during the encore. We all got CDs, made it out of the parking lot quickly and was home at midnight. Coldplay, we will miss you but we'll see you whenever you come back.

And, one thing, at school, this guy that told me he was going said he had a nice time and then starts to tell everyone that Coldplay only played three songs from the Viva la Vida album. Uh, yeah. You're a really great Coldplay fan, eh? Whatever. I do have pictures, many pictures to be uploaded later.

4/4

"Revolutionaries wait; For my head on a silver plate; Just a puppet on a lonely string; Oh who would ever want to be King?" - Viva La Vida

Coldplay made their third stop in the Washington D.C. area in the last 9 months on the Viva La Vida tour at Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, Va. The grammy award winning quartet is on the last leg of their tour before a much deserved rest. The concert started out with two opening acts: The Howling Bells, an austrailian/british band and Pete Yorn. Both had their moments but were no where near the calibar of Coldplay.

Around 9 p.m. Coldplay started off by blasting "Magnificent" by U2 followed by classical music leading into the instrumental song "Life in Technicolor." Running on stage with roman candles, Chris Martin and company skipped around stage and got into their first song "Violet Hill." After that were a cavalcade of fantastic songs: "Clocks," "In My Place", "Yellow," "Fix You" and many more. For 2 solid rock-filled hours, Coldplay blew the roof off Nissan Pavilion.

This was by far the greatest concert they have performed. I went to the first stop in D.C. at Verizon Center for the Viva La Vida tour and it was good but not as impressive as this one was. Plus, I got to get in the first row and Chris Martin was right in front of me for two songs!!! I will have video to put up shortly. A free 9 song Live CD was given out to the fans as a thank you (download it off their website for FREE) The other positive was the traffic. The cops got everyone on their way and we were out of Nissan in 5 minutes! All in all a great night and a fantastic concert.

Chris's Rating: 4 stars out of 4 - Magnificent way to end their Viva La Vida tour in the D.C. Area. Here's hoping their next tour in 2-3 years is just as great!

http://thenewsaccordingtochris.blogspot.com/

It was my first Coldplay show ever, and I must tell you, I am insanely impressed. Howling Bell and Pete Yorn were definitely great openers (and the lead singer for Howling Bell, Oh my God, can we say gorgeous?) I was right smack dab in the middle up in the pit, not right up front but very close. The entire show just was great, from how it opened to how it ended. I loved how during setup, the tech guy started break dancing to Jay-Z and did the worm, haha. I wish I would of had a video of that, he was pretty good. I loved how the band had so much energy and was just completely in tune with the entire crowd, even the lawn got a show! I have never seen that before and I have been to a good bit of concerts in my day. Overall greatly impressed and will definitely see them again, no questions asked. I will be uploading videos and pictures, cause I have a ton of them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZOOPLMKBlc]YouTube - Coldplay performing Lovers in Japan, Live at the Nissan Pavillion, May 21st, 2009[/ame]

Another vid from me. I loved this performed. It was great.

Ok, this thread is in dire need of more pictures! :dance:

But first a few responses:

http://twitpic.com/5no81 - look who im with lauren!! howling bells over having time of our lives already!

Hey girls!! So great to meet you (and Logarithm too)! So glad you got a good spot up front :)

Chris and the guys were fantastic. They seemed to be having fun despite the pathetic response. This was our third time to see them on this tour, so we've come to expect an awesome show and they did not disappoint.

I just have to say that these guys must have hearts of gold. They didn't need to play this concert, and after it became apparent that the crowd just didn't get it, they could have cut their losses and just played the rest of the show as though nothing was wrong. God knows that would have been easier.

Hey somniture! I am not sure where you were sitting, but from where I was in the pit there were hundreds of people singing along and bouncing and screaming and surging forward whenever Chris or the other guys were standing near them on the stage...the fans around me were singing all the words and clapping madly and everything a band could want from an audience :D I'm sorry to hear the reaction you saw from the audience was not that great, I know it's much more fun to be around other enthusiastic music fans :)

I'm also kind of surprised at the crowd response in those YouTube videos; everyone around me knew all of the words, and we were definitely loud, so I hope they got some energy from our section, at least. (The boy and girl next to me were dancing and having a great time; Coldplayers at heart, if they're not members on here already!)

Yes, that was pretty much my experience too Logarithm. I do also hope the guys were happy with the response from the excited fans and not too bothered by the folks who were not as visibly into it. It takes all kinds, you know! Some people don't jump or sing along, that's not to say they didn't enjoy the music in their own way ;)

I'm still trying to find out where I can get that techno version of Vivia la Vida that played while they madee their way back from visiting the Lawn. Anybody know, I'd greatly appreciated it.

Me too! It was great.

Ok, pictures coming next...