The Blur Thread

sarah**

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he looks so funny there!

He does look kinda funny there, doesn't he? :D

Check it out. Here's Damon doing his best "I'm playing a hard rock kick-ass solo" guitar face! 8)

Teehee, nah - not really, he's just singing. :lol: Forget which song, though.

No, unfortunately I won't be seeing Blur this summer. I am lucky, though, that I did get to see them back in March at the South By Southwest Music Conference/Festival in Austin. Before that, they hadn't come through Austin since 1997.

See, they were billed as a surprise act, and I didn't even know they were coming until a couple of days before the show. I think they used SXSW as an opportunity to test out the new songs from Think Tank before taking them out on their actual tour of the major cities (NY, L.A., etc.). At the show, the audience was told that this was the first time Blur was performing onstage in 4 years, so it was neat to be part of that. (Alex wasn't there because he didn't have his visa to come to the U.S. :sad: ) Of course it was an absolutely fantastic concert! My sister and I got to meet Damon after the show - it was a funny experience - I'll have to tell it sometime! (Well, I have posted the condensed version of the story before on this messageboard, but it's buried deep in the 'Pictures, webcams, mugshots' thread.)

Oh heck, it's 2:15 in the morning and I'm still on here, so I might as well post it now... Let me tell you about the time I met Damon, an experience that could've been in the movie 'This Is Spinal Tap'. It's rather funny...! :lol:

On March 13 I went to Blur's show in Austin, TX. Great concert. Afterwards, my sister and I went around to the back of the venue to try and meet the band, as we usually do. This place was a relatively small to midsize club, so out of an audience of about 1000, only 15 of us were back there. I thought our chances of getting autographs and pictures were pretty good since there were only a few of us. About an hour had passed, several fans had left, and still no activity at the back door. My sister and I decided to check out the front entrance, and sure enough, the roadies were loading the equipment there and a large 15 passenger van was parked right in front of the entrance. Blur's back-up singers came out and got into the van, then the new guitarist and stand-in bassist. A couple of minutes later Dave came out with another guy. He went rushing by us, so I barely had enough time to get out "Great show!", let alone ask for an autograph and picture. He smiled and said thanks and got into the van. The doors to the van then slammed shut and it sped away, literally.

I watched in disbelief as it turned the corner and disappeared. Had I missed Damon? Did he pull a "Chris Martin" (leave the venue separately right after the show, with which I've had experience with twice)? Maybe they were going to pull a fast one on us and pick him up at the back door. I stood there for a sec with a wave of disappointment beginning to come over me. By this time, the rest of the fans had already come to the front also. Then, not a minute later, the same van comes around from the opposite direction and stops where it had just been parked. I joked to my sister "What, did they forget something - like the lead singer?" The driver of the van calmly gets out and walks past us towards the front door in a cool and confident manner. Right then we see Damon come out the front of the venue, with a towel wrapped around his neck and a very large bottle of liquor in his hand. Now of course I don't know for certain, but it sure looked like they DID forget their lead singer! I couldn't believe it! Talk about our luck!

Damon was with by who I guessed was a security guy. You could tell Damon was at least a little bit drunk - he moved and talked kinda slow and had that "happy" look on his face. I had the cardboard CD sleeve that came with the limited edition of '13', the one with the picture of him in the "War Is Expensive" helmet. When he saw it he laughed to himself and said, "Oh god" (I'm sure referring to what he looks like in that pic - LOL!). He said, "This is the expensive one" (meaning the CD) and drew a large peace sign over his face and signed his name. By this time the security guy was ushering Damon towards the van, but I wasn't about to let my opportunity of getting a picture with him slip by. I let out a quick plea and he responded in a jovial manner with a big smile on his face, "Oh, alright."

So we got our pic, they left, and my sister and I practically skipped up five flights of stairs in the parking garage we were so happy. It was quite a comical and wonderful experience that I'll never forget!

Think Tank' date=' or maybe Best Of :)[/quote']

Yeah and Great Escape, and Parklife of course... :D :oops:

They're all different reflecting their different stages...

Best song to hear live ever is so "Blur" Girls & Boys! :D :D :D

*starts jumping up & down & around* :lol: