MrMagpie

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I saw these guys live, and I heard this song of theirs for the first time ever while I was there. I didn't pay attention to words or anything because I was too mezmerized with how beautifully they were singing this song. It was like a choir of angels. I came close to crying. I can never forget this song.

My two best friends and I were sitting in the quad at 7 AM, waiting for school to start. It was a cloudy and cold day. We were listening to this song and commenting on its ~dreaminess~. :wacky:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027zYyXwqbQ]Aqualung - Brighter than Sunshine[/ame]

Something that made me an emotional wreck for 3 or 4 days happened a few years ago. I was kind of depressed for a while.

I can't really listen to this song that much anymore since it takes me to that dark place.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhhZdune_5Q]YouTube - Arcade Fire - My Body is a Cage[/ame]

So there are a few songs everyone in Halifax just seems to know, at least well enough to mumble along to. Maybe every place has songs like that, but I've been told it's unique to us. One of them is "The Night that Paddy Murphy Died". Another is "Barrett's Privateers".

A few years ago when I was still in university, some of my friends got a huge group of us together to watch the busker festival one day. It's where you wander around down on the waterfront watching all sorts of various street performers. Around sunset, when we realized we hadn't eaten yet, we grabbed some pizza from a vendor and walked down to the far end of a pier to get away from the crowds for a bit.

There was a fishing boat coming up the harbour and when he got near where the buskers were, the old fisherman started blasting "Barrett's Privateers" as loud as it would go for the tourists. My group started singing along, and when the fisherman (somehow) heard us, he got all excited that some college kids liked it, turned the boat around, and pulled up alongside the pier where we were eating. He had to show us the brand new top of the line sound system he had just had installed in his little fishing boat.

It was one of the most surreal, stereotypical, self-referential moments of my life. I was actually singing "now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier" on a Halifax pier with an old fisherman.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl-CfQvz21Y]YouTube - Barrett's Privateers[/ame]

(And that makes two sea shanties in the first seven days. :confused: Guess I had better lay off them.)

So there are a few songs everyone in Halifax just seems to know, at least well enough to mumble along to. Maybe every place has songs like that, but I've been told it's unique to us. One of them is "The Night that Paddy Murphy Died". Another is "Barrett's Privateers".

A few years ago when I was still in university, some of my friends got a huge group of us together to watch the busker festival one day. It's where you wander around down on the waterfront watching all sorts of various street performers. Around sunset, when we realized we hadn't eaten yet, we grabbed some pizza from a vendor and walked down to the far end of a pier to get away from the crowds for a bit.

There was a fishing boat coming up the harbour and when he got near where the buskers were, the old fisherman started blasting "Barrett's Privateers" as loud as it would go for the tourists. My group started singing along, and when the fisherman (somehow) heard us, he got all excited that some college kids liked it, turned the boat around, and pulled up alongside the pier where we were eating. He had to show us the brand new top of the line sound system he had just had installed in his little fishing boat.

It was one of the most surreal, stereotypical, self-referential moments of my life. I was actually singing "now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier" on a Halifax pier with an old fisherman.

YouTube - Barrett's Privateers

(And that makes two sea shanties in the first seven days. :confused: Guess I had better lay off them.)

I've never heard that song before. :P

I kid.

Guest howyousawtheworld

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-cD4oLk_D0]YouTube - The Smiths - There is A Light That Never Goes out[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke1-MTDBAro]YouTube - Morrissey - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out[/ame]