✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Positive ETIAW Thread

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the new sound is something that creates a diversity in the fanbase, but I still really like it. The behind-the-scenes work in this song is quite good - the acoustic and electric guitars, primarily - and even though the lyrics aren't necessarily the best, the build-up makes up for it.

7.5/10

I LIKE THESE LYRICS.

there, i said it.

they might seem random and nonsensical at first, but to me there seems to be at least an underlying theme in there. maybe the lines don't flow as full sentences in a way that some people would like, but i can definitely see the graffiti/White Rose influence.

this song gives me the image of, like, this burned-down, desolate city that this group of young people scale during the night, graffiti-ing it up. it seems like this group takes great pleasure from defacing buildings or whatever, as that may be the only way they can safely rebel against... well, i guess the people who burned down the city. :P

to add more meaning to what i'm about to say, i'll quote one of my friends (jknc), who knows way more about history than i do. :p

Well the French Resistance during the War used poems and sections of poems to mean lots of different things. For example if they needed to get a message to another resistance group they would quote an obscure poem over the radio. This meant a specific thing to another group. So the songs themselves could be obscure messages. Or the graffiti symbols could mean something. Such as a spaceship means they have rescued a downed Allied pilot. Only other resistance groups would know what it meant.

with that in mind, maybe on one level the "music" mentioned in the song is literal, but for the purposes of this post i am going to write under the assumption that "music" and everything related to it is a metaphor for the graffiti.

so, by this logic, lyrics such as

I turn the music up, I got my records on

I shut the world outside until the lights come on

Maybe the streets alight, maybe the trees are gone

I feel my heart start beating to my favourite song

I turn the music up

I'm on a roll this time

And heaven is in sight

basically mean that this person is partaking in the spreading of resistance messages through graffiti during the night -- or "until the lights come on" -- an action which is thrilling, sneaking around at night and standing up against the enemy... despite the destruction, this person still has hope for the future, an urge to fight to make things better.

then there are these lines:

Don't want to see another generation drop

I'd rather be a comma than a full stop

Maybe I'm in the black, maybe I'm on my knees

Maybe I'm in the gap between the two trapezes

which i had talked about before in what was probably the original thread for ETIAW, but i think that my interpretation might have changed slightly since then. what i will say here is that "the gap between the two trapezes" seems to go along with the "heaven is in sight" line, meaning that things seem to be looking up for them.

there is definitely more that i could say about these lyrics, particularly the whole "every tear is a waterfall" thing, but right now i'm tired and my brain is refusing to put my thoughts into words that actually make sense. maybe i'll come back to this tomorrow. :P

so, the song may not be spectacularly written, but these lyrics tell quite a story in my eyes and something about that appeals to me.

ok, now someone can tell me that i'm just looking too much into this and that there's no real theme or anything, i'm only putting meaning into it because i love precious Coldplay so much, but really Chris is an idiot or whatever. at least i said more than 'it makes me feel good.' :P

oh, also, i really love Chris's falsetto, especially in the "every siren is a symphony//and every tear is a waterfall" bit. :wacko:

Ahh, a positive thread, thank god.

So, it's not my favourite song by them by any means, but it's something light and poppy to listen to through the summer days. Hope their album is a little more stripped back though.

I think that some people are missing the point of the song.

Before the song came out, when people were analyzing the lyrics, the general message seemed to be about not wanting this generation to end (in a manner of speaking). This is where the upbeat, modern nature of the song comes into play. A summery tune to play with the windows open. But to contrast this, are the lyrics. Lyrics about being in a sort of twilight zone as far as fitting in goes. So it's like the lyrics are trying to clutch onto the sort of song that they themselves are located in.

My first listen was about a 6-7. Didn't really know what to think about it. Then I found out about the sampling. Listened a few more times. Kind of grew on me. It sounds like Glass of Water and A Spell A Rebel Yell mixed together. I enjoy the song immensely. Very joyous and well constructed. But I do hope that LP5 will take on a different tone. When I heard the teaser for the chorus bassline, with the Radiohead-esque electronic sound, I was pumped. I'm just hoping for a slightly darker, more serious sound in LP5. A return to form, if you will.

Eggnog Tequila Iced Absinthe Wine is amazing. I don't see how anyone can bash it. Knocks you out so quickly you might not even wake up.

Wait, ETIAW stands for something else?

maybe it's a sign from the band using the acronym to let us know about LP5

Every Tune Is A Wreck?!

Ok to get back on topic, I'll post my (positive) thoughts on the song as this thread was meant for in the first place.

I really like the lyrics, first of all. I especially like the "I'd rather be a comma than a full stop", and also the verse about the gap between two trapezes. The lyrics are great to sing along to at festivals, but there are also some lyrics in there with some depth to them.

I was disappointed with the fact that they sampled the beat at first, and I still am a little. But hey, if Chris was inspired after hearing the original song and had the idea to do something more with it, I respect that. It's better to sample something and follow your inspiration rather than to put the lyrics to something that they weren't meant to match with.

I love Jonny's guitar riffs. It reminds me of Strawberry Swing (which was lovely), but more upbeat. I'm looking forward to hearing more of Jonny's influence on LP5 because I think that he has a lot to offer.

I also like the way that the song builds throughout, without becoming too loud or dominant (if that makes sense). It's kind of a subtle build-up that is powerful yet not overpowering.

While it may not be a musical masterpiece, it is still far better than half the crap out there. It is an uplifting tune with good lyrics, a catchy melody, and some lovely instrumental bits. It's going to be fantastic for the festivals this summer as it is fun and easy to dance and sing along to. I think that Coldplay wanted to have some fun with this song, and they have definitely achieved that goal.

My positive comment is that im liking it more!

and everytime I hear it, my feet start wanting to tap the beat :P and im looking forward to it in concert. Not crazy about the wa wa waterfall part but I do love the guitar a lot :D

Ok to get back on topic, I'll post my (positive) thoughts on the song as this thread was meant for in the first place.

I really like the lyrics, first of all. I especially like the "I'd rather be a comma than a full stop", and also the verse about the gap between two trapezes. The lyrics are great to sing along to at festivals, but there are also some lyrics in there with some depth to them.

I was disappointed with the fact that they sampled the beat at first, and I still am a little. But hey, if Chris was inspired after hearing the original song and had the idea to do something more with it, I respect that. It's better to sample something and follow your inspiration rather than to put the lyrics to something that they weren't meant to match with.

I love Jonny's guitar riffs. It reminds me of Strawberry Swing (which was lovely), but more upbeat. I'm looking forward to hearing more of Jonny's influence on LP5 because I think that he has a lot to offer.

I also like the way that the song builds throughout, without becoming too loud or dominant (if that makes sense). It's kind of a subtle build-up that is powerful yet not overpowering.

While it may not be a musical masterpiece, it is still far better than half the crap out there. It is an uplifting tune with good lyrics, a catchy melody, and some lovely instrumental bits. It's going to be fantastic for the festivals this summer as it is fun and easy to dance and sing along to. I think that Coldplay wanted to have some fun with this song, and they have definitely achieved that goal.

THIS.