✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is Charlie Brown THE BEST Coldplay song...EVER??

LetsTalk212

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie Brown...the best

Coldplay is like a very fine Bordeaux. In your face @ first, then let it open up. It is full bodied, layered, smells and tastes Old World. Us against the world, Charlie Brown. It is so rich is sound, I almost rejected it @ first. I certainly hope they will not outsound themselves. Brian Eno is fantastic, seems he's taken over the band.

Is it really possible to pick a song to be Coldplay's best? I mean really, how can you choose. You start to think one song is their best, then you hear a new one and it's like 'holy crap, this is awesome!! new best song!' not to mention everybody has different tastes; some people prefer their slower, more acoustic work (sparks, us against the world etc.) whereas others prefer the faster and more complicated (Viva la vida, ETIAW etc.) if everybody had their way, there would be at least 15 best coldplay songs ever

• 3 weeks later...
Guest howyousawtheworld

The only thing that slightly disappoints me about the studio version is the fact the backing vocals get very little exposure. For example the 'ALL THE HIGHS, ALL THE LOWS' part really should have been brought forward a lot more. You can hear it much more clearly on this user made instrumental at around 2.30. Pretty sure Brian Eno's one of the voices here. I think Eno's magnificent on this record. The little bleep bloop electronic gizmos that sit behind a lot of the songs are wonderful. I wish for a record to be produced by just Eno next time round. Don't think they need Dravs, Simpson or Green.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSR5gXS5wg]Coldplay - Charlie Brown (Instrumental) - YouTube[/ame]

Guest howyousawtheworld
^yeah, those alien voice played backwards at the beggining and the middle of the song is one of Eno's genius ideas. And yes, I can tell that he's singing some backing vocals in this song :wacko:

I feel his work is desperately under appreciated amongst many fans of the band. Even though MX is probably my least favourite album I feel his influence does somewhat save it from being a complete flop on my part. I wish he had harvested the 'seeds he had sewn' as Will Champion puts it.

• 3 weeks later...

When i first read the title of this post i thought it was just a knee-jerk reaction to a really good song but now that the dust has settled, i really do think that Charlie Brown is the perfect Coldplay song. It has everything a Coldplay song should have: it's catchy as hell, it looks and sounds amazing live, Chris' voice is perfect in it, the lyrics are some of their best and that ending suits it wonderfully... i think it just might be their best song ever :)

Didn't think so at first, but now I think it's certainly a contender. It's basically classic Coldplay, but incorporating everything they've learnt over the past few albums. And I think it definitely is THE best song live.

The only disappointment with it is I think the studio version could have been much better. Without comparing it to the live versions, it's great - but Johnny's guitar sounds lifeless and dull on the studio recording, and Chris' vocals (especially the 'Light a fire' bit) don't convey the epicness. In comparison to the live versions anyway!

When i first read the title of this post i thought it was just a knee-jerk reaction to a really good song but now that the dust has settled, i really do think that Charlie Brown is the perfect Coldplay song. It has everything a Coldplay song should have: it's catchy as hell, it looks and sounds amazing live, Chris' voice is perfect in it, the lyrics are some of their best and that ending suits it wonderfully... i think it just might be their best song ever :)

:D You took the words out of my mouth.

A true Coldplay fan could never name "the best CP song ever". A true CP fan could NEVER choose an absolute fav or "the very best". Only someone who isn't a true fan would or could ever even think about implying that at least 97% of ALL things Coldplay has EVER done is anything BUT the BEST!!!!!

wut