✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I'm pretty sure Charlie Brown will be the first single picked up from LP5

coldpatrix

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before A Rush of Blood came out, Coldplay was playing In My Place and Animals at concerts while they were still touring for Parachutes in later 2001 (according to Wikipedia). Obviously those didn't become the most popular Coldplay songs... well In My Place did, but later on it was found to be no match to Clocks, The Scientist and God Put A Smile Upon Your Face.

I can guarantee that there is material they haven't released yet that is stronger.

i love Animals

what about princess of china?? i think it would make a great first single, and the second single would be car kids. leaving charlie brown behind

Hmmm...after I heard PoC some times I don't think it will be a single, because the sound is too different. Don't get me wrong - I love the song, a way better than CB and also Hurts Like Heaven, but I can't imangine the song in the radio stations.

It does seem like Charlie Brown will be the next single from the album given they played it specifically for Jimmy Kimmel and in essence the American media market. Now, I like the song, but I really don't think it's as strong as other singles in Coldplay's past specifically in lead up to an album being released.

ETIAW is definitely on the album and frankly comes off more uplifting and exhilirating than Charlie Brown - again, the riff is catchy in CB, but that's all there is pretty much (now viva - had strings rather than the traditional guitar, plus there were a lot of different string riffs along w/ atmospherics courtesy of Eno perhaps in that song, plus it had a chorus, and a great outro with universal whoa's that everyone knows and sings. In my place, had catchy riff, but had a great chorus that was very singable for everybody.

CB does not have that and there's not enough change in motifs/musical ideas to make it interesting enough to be a strong single, it's a decent single, but not that great - I really do hope they have 2 other quality A type of songs given that we've heard maybe half of the album already. If CB, HLH are considered the next singles then this album may not be another great one, but a decent one.

Viva as an album had some great singles - LiJ, Litii (which i consider a part of Viva, I can't believe they didnt' think that song was single worthy initially, and just made it an instrumental - sometimes I dont' understand these guys) Viva, Violet, Lost, Strawberry Swing, and even Death and All his friends was an amazing song that was single worthy.

I like these new songs - I think frankly the strongest ones r ETIAW and Major Minus out of the 5 or so we've heard. I don't think Major minus will be a single even though it shows another side of Coldplay most people don't associate w them namely, that they can rock out if they want to.

Anyway, will be interested to see the tracklisting and hope that they're other single worthy songs on the new album that we haven't heard (perhaps Viva level).

Can't wait.

They said LiT was the only safety net on the album so that was the reason they made it an instrumental.

Hmmm...after I heard PoC some times I don't think it will be a single, because the sound is too different. Don't get me wrong - I love the song, a way better than CB and also Hurts Like Heaven, but I can't imangine the song in the radio stations.

the fact its so unusual may be the key to its potential success

And I love how they describe CB as a "unreleased new track" as if we haven't heard it 5000 times already.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but I can't resist. CB is unreleased because there has been no official release of the track, studio or live.

After thinking some more, I believe we might hear something later this week in the form of an album and next single announcement. But, if the album isn't released until Oct 24/25, this week may be too soon. It might be another couple of weeks. The reason I say that is if they announce it this week it'll be more than two months before the release date. Looking at VLVODAAHF, they announced the release date and track listing two months ahead. Four weeks after that VLV was included in pre-orders for the album. So maybe an announcement/track listing in a couple of weeks, then around the third week of Sept they accept pre-orders and the next single is an instant download (coinciding with the next single announcement and availability for airplay).

I also think it's a strong possibility that CB will be the next single; I think the studio version might sound quite different from the live version, for those who think it doesn't sound like a strong single live. But I could also see them release an as-yet-unheard song for the next single.

So, while an announcement this week is possible, I'm leaning more toward two weeks from now due to past precedent for the band.

I like all the new songs from this era (especially Hurts Like Heaven, Princess of China and Moving To Mars) but I don't really care for Charlie Brown. I see it as a rather simplistic song with a cheap melody - certainly not one of their best... Can someone please explain to me what's so special about Charlie Brown; what it is that makes it so unique and enjoyable? I really want to like it, so please help me!

Well, the fact that Viva was a bit 'unusual' compared to all the other radio-play songs out there was what made it so successful :shrug:

And, in my opinion, Princess of China sounds more like Viva than any other song in Coldplay's discography. It has the unique keyboard/synth background and lyrics that are a bit unusual. Also, it has those great 'ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh's' after the synth scream which, again, was part of what made Viva so successful. ;)

I like all the new songs from this era (especially Hurts Like Heaven, Princess of China and Moving To Mars) but I don't really care for Charlie Brown. I see it as a rather simplistic song with a cheap melody - certainly not one of their best... Can someone please explain to me what's so special about Charlie Brown; what it is that makes it so unique and enjoyable? I really want to like it, so please help me!

The catchy guitar riff mainly but just the whole thing really. Chris' voice speeded up at the start, the bit where they all shout 'light a fire...' etc

Well, the fact that Viva was a bit 'unusual' compared to all the other radio-play songs out there was what made it so successful :shrug:

And, in my opinion, Princess of China sounds more like Viva than any other song in Coldplay's discography. It has the unique keyboard/synth background and lyrics that are a bit unusual. Also, it has those great 'ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh's' after the synth scream which, again, was part of what made Viva so successful. ;)

Hmm...Viva la Vida has this popfeeling...can't describe it. Of course its a bit different to the radio crap but it was a real pop song. PoC sounds a bit versed but I can't hear how the studio version will be. At the moment the song and the sound is too strange for me to be on the radio.

Nevertheless I love this song so much!