✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

Honestly, I think he sounded more like Ed O'brien in the early days. He was never quite enough of a pedal hopper to properly emulate Greenwood.

And even though I'm not crazy about the one direction thing, I think in a way, that type of music represents a very organic part of Chris' musical interests and influences, so if nothing else, it shows he's more at peace with himself than he was before.

Yeah, I think you're right about O'brien. Sorry...I'm a RH nOOb,lol.

I suppose if it makes Chris creatively happy I shouldn't whine since I'm always saying it's none of our business what they choose to do creatively. It's THEIR music, not our. But GAWD this is an annoying expression of inner peace!:lol:

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think you're right about O'brien. Sorry...I'm a RH nOOb,lol.

I suppose if it makes Chris creatively happy I shouldn't whine since I'm always saying it's none of our business what they choose to do creatively. It's THEIR music, not our. But GAWD this is an annoying expression of inner peace!:lol:

I'm not a super big RH fan myself. The reason, I like O'Brien is that I'm more into guitar music, as opposed to their electronic stuff, and he's the only one that's still keeping them grounded in a guitar based sound at all. Nothing against all that electronic stuff, they're very good at it, but it's just not my thing.

I'm not a super big RH fan myself. The reason, I like O'Brien is that I'm more into guitar music, as opposed to their electronic stuff, and he's the only one that's still keeping them grounded in a guitar based sound at all. Nothing against all that electronic stuff, they're very good at it, but it's just not my thing.

I like some of it when I'm in the right mood, but it's their guitar-driven music that I still love. And yes. They are very good at it.:)

What I'm expecting for LP6: I'm expecting some of the electro sound to still be present, but I hope not as much as MX had. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed MX, believe me. :P

What I'm hoping for LP6: Awesome music, of course! :D I'm also hoping to be surprised like how MX surprised me.

I hope they don't release an EP or live album between now and album six. I am in the minority there, I am sure, but I feel like an EP or live disc would sort of buy time for the band ... it would allow them to wait longer before releasing LP6.

don't get me wrong, I loved Prospekt's March and Leftrightleftrightleft but I think their real strength is making albums. Chris said that in the Rolling Stone interview on MX and I think they've gotten better since they came to that realization.

So, here's to hoping LP6 isn't three more years away!

I hope they don't release an EP or live album between now and album six. I am in the minority there, I am sure, but I feel like an EP or live disc would sort of buy time for the band ... it would allow them to wait longer before releasing LP6.

don't get me wrong, I loved Prospekt's March and Leftrightleftrightleft but I think their real strength is making albums. Chris said that in the Rolling Stone interview on MX and I think they've gotten better since they came to that realization.

So, here's to hoping LP6 isn't three more years away!

Their doing a fil about this tour, so t hat's probably going to take the place of the EP or live album, so you sort of get your wish. Since all that will be needed it editing and packaging, it won't take much time from new material.

Having said that, they never rush into a new album, so who knows?

Their doing a fil about this tour, so t hat's probably going to take the place of the EP or live album, so you sort of get your wish. Since all that will be needed it editing and packaging, it won't take much time from new material.

Having said that, they never rush into a new album, so who knows?

They have made several comments that imply the current tour will end after the 2012 dates though, so they'll probably get into the studio a bit quicker. It doesn't really take them 3 years to make an album, it's just that it takes 2 years after the previous release for them to actually get back in the studio.

That said, I still stand by my previous comments that wait times for new material almost always increase rather than decrease as a band ages and becomes successful.

I would love to hear more of the X&Y sounds like Talk and White Shadows that would be great! It would also be nice to hear something similar to Viva La Vida and also The Scientist from AROBTTH, but whatever they come out with I'm sure it will be amazing because, hey, its Coldplay! :)

Haha, no offense taken. Just a typo.

Here's the thread:

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92997

To be fair, they're filming for a live release, it remains to be seen if that plan will ever be fully realized. They have a fully completed concert film from Twisted Logic that's never been released, and they filmed at numerous shows on the Viva tour and nothing came of that either, despite the band (and roadie #42) talking about how they were filming.

No it's not. My point was that at this point, some 14 years in and all in their mid 30's, Coldplay have moved beyond the stage where they are a hip, young band, and are firmly on the road to becoming elder statemen, like those two bands. Financially, there's absolutely no pressure on Coldplay to produce something, so they will probably not produce anything particularly fast. That's not uncommon at all.

Elder statesmen?......they are only in their mid 30's. Financially there was no pressue after 2003. Coldplay appear to still be trying to be a hip young band - maybe it's because they like the music lol. So yeh your wrong again......

Elder statesmen?......they are only in their mid 30's. Financially there was no pressue after 2003. Coldplay appear to still be trying to be a hip young band - maybe it's because they like the music lol. So yeh your wrong again......

Infact they can made a shitty album like MX and sell millions. :rolleyes:

Mid 30's is fairly old for a band, and generally that's when bands either wane/split/etc. or begin to be regarded as a veteran act.

So you admit they may be doing what their doing because it's what they like (sarcasm notwithstanding), and yet I'm still wrong?:rolleyes:

Anyway, I was talking about the realease timing of new material here, not anything else, which is certainly affected to some degree by their age/sucess/stage in their career. That's all I was talking about in this context.

Mid 30's is fairly old for a band, and generally that's when bands either wane/split/etc. or begin to be regarded as a veteran act.

So you admit they may be doing what their doing because it's what they like (sarcasm notwithstanding), and yet I'm still wrong?:rolleyes:

Anyway, I was talking about the realease timing of new material here, not anything else, which is certainly affected to some degree by their age/sucess/stage in their career. That's all I was talking about in this context.

Mid 30's isn't old for a band come off it, maybe for the youth obsessed media but not to me, far from it - I ain't that shallow.

Both Aerosmith and U2 in 14 years had done nearly twice as many albums as Coldplay, so it is wrong to compare them to bands that come from a different era when bands tended to release more albums and less singles.

To be fair, they're filming for a live release, it remains to be seen if that plan will ever be fully realized. They have a fully completed concert film from Twisted Logic that's never been released, and they filmed at numerous shows on the Viva tour and nothing came of that either, despite the band (and roadie #42) talking about how they were filming.

True, but considering how they've hyped this, and how much they've involved their fans in its creation, there'd be some kind of mutiny if they didn't go through with it.:laugh3:

Mid 30's isn't old for a band come off it, maybe for the youth obsessed media but not to me, far from it - I ain't that shallow.

Both Aerosmith and U2 in 14 years had done nearly twice as many albums as Coldplay, so it is wrong to compare them to bands that come from a different era when bands tended to release more albums and less singles.

Anything upwards of 30 is absolutely old in the sense of how the music industry reckons the freshness and promotablilty of talent. With all your harping on "media puppets" I'd think you of all people would get that.

Also, bands who started in the 70's came up in an era when the industry model was to release tons more material than is common today, so it's not an apples to apples comparison (which you seem to acknowledge.)

My point is, at this stage of their career, Coldplay is considered a mature superstar act, and is beyond the point where they can be promoted as the "it" band of the moment, in addition, their commercial pressence, especially as a live draw is such that they've more or less eclipsed their same age peers and are now more aptly compared to those older, established bands. (who incidentially almost universally suffer from the same perception of reduced quality of output that you ascribe to Coldplay.) It should be clear that Coldplay are merely following the common pattern for aging successful acts, and thus it is fair to estimate their likely future status by looking to the bands that have gone down the same path before.

Anything upwards of 30 is absolutely old in the sense of how the music industry reckons the freshness and promotablilty of talent. With all your harping on "media puppets" I'd think you of all people would get that.

Also, bands who started in the 70's came up in an era when the industry model was to release tons more material than is common today, so it's not an apples to apples comparison (which you seem to acknowledge.)

My point is, at this stage of their career, Coldplay is considered a mature superstar act, and is beyond the point where they can be promoted as the "it" band of the moment, in addition, their commercial pressence, especially as a live draw is such that they've more or less eclipsed their same age peers and are now more aptly compared to those older, established bands. (who incidentially almost universally suffer from the same perception of reduced quality of output that you ascribe to Coldplay.) It should be clear that Coldplay are merely following the common pattern for aging successful acts, and thus it is fair to estimate their likely future status by looking to the bands that have gone down the same path before.

But those bands did it in a different era so it's not the same.

Compare to most young bands of today, I'd say Coldplay are indeed 'elder statesmen', but compared to acts like U2 and Aerosmith, they're still pups.

True, but they're closer to either of those bands in status than they are to young bands just becoming popular, and are more or less on par with the point U2 were at during a similar age. It's not a fair comparison with Aerosmith, because their mid 30's were during their wilderness years. I was only using them as a band who's been sitting on a new album for ages because they have no commercial or financial imperative to release anything.