✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first three were a trilogy, I think the next one will end the current trilogy, and then I think they'll downsize slightly.

I hope they don't go on forever. I'd say eight albums is perfect.

Telling a band they should quit after a certain number of albums is like telling a human to stop breathing after a certain number of years. If it's in them to make more, they will, and should. If not, they'll call it quits if they feel they have nothing new to offer. But it's sure as hell not up to us.

I just hope that LP6 will decrease in scope. I mean it would be nice to have less fanfare on an album for a change. They won't go completely acoustic, perhaps. But a bit less electronic sounds and a bit more live unstruments would be nice.

And as there is tendency of Coldplay exploring the world (Spanish-Latin America influences on Viva, Asian on Mylo), I wonder where would they go next? Return to Britain perhaps?

I just hope that LP6 will decrease in scope. I mean it would be nice to have less fanfare on an album for a change. They won't go completely acoustic, perhaps. But a bit less electronic sounds and a bit more live unstruments would be nice.

And as there is tendency of Coldplay exploring the world (Spanish-Latin America influences on Viva, Asian on Mylo), I wonder where would they go next? Return to Britain perhaps?

More likely African or Arabian music influences than a return to Brit :nod:

My prediction is that LP6 will continue the trend of being big and bold and vibrant like the last two, in order to make a 'trilogy' of such albums. I expect they'll probably continue to work with Brian Eno, though maybe he'll be less involved than with MX. Most likely it will also be somewhat influenced by music from other cultures (maybe African or Arabian as Mrk suggested). It will also probably continue the theme of being inspired by some kind of art style - like how Viva was inspired by 'famous old painters' and MX by the White Rose movement. Then LP7 could be the one where they downsize and return to their roots, but also take into account everything they've learned from Eno in order to continue to move forwards as a band.

This would be perfect! And I do hope they continue to explore global musical styles. THey'll always sound 'British' no matter what they do,lol. :)

My prediction is that LP6 will continue the trend of being big and bold and vibrant like the last two, in order to make a 'trilogy' of such albums. I expect they'll probably continue to work with Brian Eno, though maybe he'll be less involved than with MX. Most likely it will also be somewhat influenced by music from other cultures (maybe African or Arabian as Mrk suggested). It will also probably continue the theme of being inspired by some kind of art style - like how Viva was inspired by 'famous old painters' and MX by the White Rose movement. Then LP7 could be the one where they downsize and return to their roots, but also take into account everything they've learned from Eno in order to continue to move forwards as a band.

I agree with you :nod:

And one of the reasons why MX didn't turn out to be an acoustic album or so, as it was planned was that they felt that it wouldn't work in huge venues that they've wanted to play in. So I wouldn't hope for that for now.

They have alredy pretty much explored music from everywhere on their last 2 records, african (Lost!, Strawberry Swing even Paradise), Arabian (LiT, LiTii, Poppyfields, Yes), Asian (a bit on PoC), Latin American (Cemeteries Of London, Yes and the "colorfull vibe on Viva"). I don't know what they'll do next, honestly.

I'm torn. I'd like to see them explore all those ethnic influences more deeply a la Peter Gabriel or Talking Heads (Both of whom Eno has produced), but then again, a break from Eno is probably a good idea in order for them to continue to define their own sound. Both have promise.

^ I wanted just one more Eno album, I just love how much they've changed with him. Viva is my favourite album and although I agree MX is not as good as AROBTTH, I love the energy that the 2 records they did together has, It's almost another band for me, really!

Agreed. Eno was the one who got them to spend hours just playing and exploring sound without specific goals. It opened their minds to so many possibilities. I think he's been great for them! As I said, I'm really torn on his role in a future album, but I don't think it would hurt.

I'm torn. I'd like to see them explore all those ethnic influences more deeply a la Peter Gabriel or Talking Heads (Both of whom Eno has produced), but then again, a break from Eno is probably a good idea in order for them to continue to define their own sound. Both have promise.

I honestly don't ever see them leaving Eno completely behind. For some reason, a lot of the artists he's worked with over the years always seem to come back to him sooner or later.

Personally, I think Eno's chief contribution to Coldplay has been to make them more of a four legged table. They're truly a band now, in the sense that all 4 members are now contributing strongly to the sound, as opposed to the older Chris/Jonny centric stuff. The other two are contributing more than just rythm stuff now. (and Jonny sounds like a proper big cheese "lead" guitarist these days.:wink3:)

I honestly don't ever see them leaving Eno completely behind. For some reason, a lot of the artists he's worked with over the years always seem to come back to him sooner or later.

Personally, I think Eno's chief contribution to Coldplay has been to make them more of a four legged table. They're truly a band now, in the sense that all 4 members are now contributing strongly to the sound, as opposed to the older Chris/Jonny centric stuff. The other two are contributing more than just rythm stuff now. (and Jonny sounds like a proper big cheese "lead" guitarist these days.:wink3:)

That's why I said 'a break from Eno'. He's kind of like the Mafia...no one ever really leaves,lol. And yes, he encouraged all 4 as individuals as well as a band, though I always saw all 4 as equally talented, Will and Guy didn't showcase their talent as much (excepting some of Guy's basslines on X&Y).

As for your last comment, notice how much more myself and a lot of others have noticed/ I always saw that potential, but he's so much better and more confident since he's embraced it!:D:D

Every member of the band had been given the fair share of spotlight in MX. Will's emphatic drums (on ETIAW, Paradise, DLIBYH), Guy's heavy bass effort (on Paradise, Major Minus, a bit on CB esp. when played live), Jonny's Brilliant guitar riffs (on HLH, CB, UATW, Major Minus and ETIAW) and of course, Chris Martin's vocals and piano contribution. I think they have showcased their talent on making the album and they enjoyed working on it. So, maybe they'll still seek the aid of Eno for the next album.

Every member of the band had been given the fair share of spotlight in MX. Will's emphatic drums (on ETIAW, Paradise, DLIBYH), Guy's heavy bass effort (on Paradise, Major Minus, a bit on CB esp. when played live), Jonny's Brilliant guitar riffs (on HLH, CB, UATW, Major Minus and ETIAW) and of course, Chris Martin's vocals and piano contribution. I think they have showcased their talent on making the album and they enjoyed working on it. So, maybe they'll still seek the aid of Eno for the next album.

Exactly, I think Eno has been almost like a nurturing influence on all four of them as individual musicians.

Absolutely!

I'd be curious to see what happens if they 'leave the nest', but will be good either way. I do hope there are a few less 'pop' songs. I don't mean no catchy songs, obviously, but the k ind of songs that get them nominated for the NRJ awards etc. They were the only 'adult' band at that damned ceremony!

Absolutely!

I'd be curious to see what happens if they 'leave the nest', but will be good either way. I do hope there are a few less 'pop' songs. I don't mean no catchy songs, obviously, but the k ind of songs that get them nominated for the NRJ awards etc. They were the only 'adult' band at that damned ceremony!

I think they had to go down the "pop" road eventually. All four members seem to be influenced by pop, and Chris seems positively enfatuated by it. It's not my favorite thing (though I do have a fair amount of top 40 pop on my ipod that I can't admit liking in some circles:embarrassed:), but it's definately an organic part of the Coldplay mix, and IMHO it had to come out eventually. I just hope it doesn't dominate from here on out.

I think they had to go down the "pop" road eventually. All four members seem to be influenced by pop, and Chris seems positively enfatuated by it. It's not my favorite thing (though I do have a fair amount of top 40 pop on my ipod that I can't admit liking in some circles:embarrassed:), but it's definately an organic part of the Coldplay mix, and IMHO it had to come out eventually. I just hope it doesn't dominate from here on out.

Just this.:nod::)

And I'm glad they're exploring all facets of music, even the ones I'm not partial to. It makes them the well-rounded band they've become.

MX is pop is it not? I want them to make a record which sounds like nothing else in the charts for a change.