✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Princess of China and the similarity between a song of Vietnam !?

coldplaymix

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id like to understand WHY DO PEOPLE STRIVES TO DENY IT, come on, dont be so alienated, skip this blind (deaf in this case) attitude. I cant believe there is ppl saying "not even close to a match", COME ON! The songs are almost EQUAL. We are not supposed to act like puppets just because we're on a coldplay forum. open your damn eyes and HAVE YOUR OWN opinion. lets act like grown up people and be coherent here. it is another plagiarism, and that is not my irrelevant opinion, its an EVIDENCE.

You mad bro? Seriously I have my own opinion, and I don't find the similarity like you do. Apart from the ooohhh ( come on now, how many songs have that in a similar fashion ) they have nothing in common. I'll be the first to admit that Viva did have many similarities to if I could fly, but I'm just not hearing this. When I think of Asian music, I think of that same melody and heey yaya (sorry if that doesn't make since) So chances are coldplay were inspired by Asian music in general and not this lady. Hence princess of CHINA. In my opinion the only puppet here is you. Why don't you open your eyes and realize it's your opinion and not EVIDENCE. Sorry to go off, but your comment kinda irked me. Let's be friends :kiss:

+2

'tis easy to make a random comment about lots of other songs having the same sound; 'tis another thing to back up the comment and point them out. If there's lots of other songs with essentially the same chord progression and the same duration of each chord (i.e., same emPHAsis on the same syLAbles), I'm all ears.

I Only see "Coldplay770" on plagiarism-referent threads.

Meaning what exactly??? Did you even bother to read my response to the topic of this thread? Or did you just assume that because I raised the question of plagiarism in my own thread regarding the guitar riff from Major Minus, that I'm some how searching for instances where Coldplay has committed plagiarism? Regarding Major Minus, as I said already, the first time I heard it, I knew I'd heard the melody of the guitar riff somewhere else. I only brought it up as a response to this topic. Then I created the thread about Major Minus, although I had thought about it ever since hearing the song. Before then, I had not even openly discussed it. I'm not some Coldplay hater hoping that they get sued for plagiarism. However it is what it is. The melody in Princess of China resembles that of the one sang in the Vietnamese song. That's just the facts, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I did not create this thread. I'll also have you know that I'm actually a huge fan of both songs. Both POC and Major Minus. So naturally I was attracted to this thread as were many others, some not even fans of the song. IMO it would be more likely for Coldplay to have committed plagiarism regarding the riff from Major Minus, more so than taking the melody for POC from the Vietnamese song. The song "Beautiful" by Snoop Dogg was a much more memorable, and popular song I'm certain.

Gaah I hate this kinda stuff, I don't know what to believe. They have been inspired by other songs very often and made them into their own but then on the other hand the whole band has been very open with it. Whatever, P.O.C. is an amazing song and that's all that matters.

Ok, so in my view, there are two conceivable explanations for the similarities.

1. It is a coincidence. (You could take virtually any pop melody and find a song with a similar hook).

2. Coldplay, fresh off of having a plagiarism issue tarnish one of their biggest hits, decided it was time to steal something else. They figured that scouring obscure vietnamese pop music was an easier way to get a hit single than relying on their own songwriting abilities. They then recruited Rihanna to make sure that there was a woman singing the stolen melody, just to make sure it was as similar as possible. Then they hoped no one would notice.

Ummm, I think option one makes a bit more sense.

I think it's a common chord progression in oriental music. I say this because it sounded familiar when I first listened to it, and I swear I had never listened to that Vietnamese song. "Yes" has a similar style, too. Also, after the Viva la Vida thing (which I strongly feel it was just a coincidence, since it's also a fairly simple chord progression), they have given credit of samples. I refuse to think that they knew this song xD

MAXIMUM OVER DENIAL

Seriously, this thread is priceless.

I say this because it sounded familiar when I first listened to it, and I swear I had never listened to that Vietnamese song.

Basically, you're saying that they arr sound same.

Comedy gold everywhere in this thread :)

That firefly episode is a pretty good example. I like how all of the Oriental fellows are getting butthurt because people are saying a good majority of their music sounds similar!!! It's funny, but seriously, I really want to imagine Chris saying "Hey, let's copy this under-the-radar Vietnamese song" I'm sorry but I just don't see it. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but seriously... think about it.

And they all plagiarized off the Atlanta Braves cheer... seriously, it's a common vocal progression.

Haven't read the whole thread. This is a familiar indian warrior chant song used many times by sport teams. She'll have to sue all the high schools and professional teams.:rolleyes:

Ok, so in my view, there are two conceivable explanations for the similarities.

1. It is a coincidence. (You could take virtually any pop melody and find a song with a similar hook).

2. Coldplay, fresh off of having a plagiarism issue tarnish one of their biggest hits, decided it was time to steal something else. They figured that scouring obscure vietnamese pop music was an easier way to get a hit single than relying on their own songwriting abilities. They then recruited Rihanna to make sure that there was a woman singing the stolen melody, just to make sure it was as similar as possible. Then they hoped no one would notice.

Ummm, I think option one makes a bit more sense.

Option 3:

It was unintentional.

Finally someone who puts the exact notes down here (if they are right, I have no idea)

IMO: It sounds the same, but it's NOT the exact same notes. It's a familiar hook, I agree, but it's not exactly the same. And also having the same hook doesn't mean that the whole song sounds the same. I don't think Coldplay stole this. Not because it sounds the same but is not, but just for other reasons that have been pointed out here already. Eg. Why would they do that if they already had so much trouble with VLV? And the Vietnamees song seems so obscure that I can't image Coldplay having heard it before they made MX. And so many things have been written in music already that at a point of course people come up with the same kind of hook.

Id like to understand WHY DO PEOPLE STRIVES TO DENY IT, come on, dont be so alienated, skip this blind (deaf in this case) attitude. I cant believe there is ppl saying "not even close to a match", COME ON! The songs are almost EQUAL. We are not supposed to act like puppets just because we're on a coldplay forum. open your damn eyes and HAVE YOUR OWN opinion. lets act like grown up people and be coherent here. it is another plagiarism, and that is not my irrelevant opinion, its an EVIDENCE.
Your post is just wrong in so many levels. You accuse people of not having their own opinion just because their opinion doesn't match yours? You suggest we should act like grown-ups while in the same post you say people should open their damn eyes, accuse Coldplay of plagiarism and then state that this is not your opinion but evidence? If the plagiarism is evident, then please open our eyes by showing us the evidence (and keep in mind that one can only talk about plagiarism if Coldplay didn't write the music themselves but pretend they did).