✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

when someone asks you what kind of music you like, what do you answer?

Destrokk

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the fact that most people who ask me that question are annoying me, I usually (but not always - sometimes they ask a proper question like what music am I enjoying at the moment) say something along the lines of 'from Mozart to Radiohead to Neil Young to Public Enemy to The Chemical Brothers to The Beatles. Rap to folk to punk to electro to rock to classical to drum and bass to shoegaze.' To which they reply 'so everything then?'. Then I say (as pretentiously as possible) that that couldn't be further from the truth and that I'm very picky and specific when it comes to what I listen to and hate the vast, vast majority of music.

If I can tell the person who is asking isn't annoying then I usually just answer 'oh, plenty of things really - I'm currently listening to a lot of...' and smile. But most people who ask that question tend to be annoying and simply trying to judge you on your music tastes.

Recently, I've been saying classical and soundtracks because that's all I've listened to for about a year

Someone asked me this a few days ago, and I said "Dvorak and Rachmaninov", much to their confusion. :|

but within the past two weeks or so I've started going back and listening to Muse, Coldplay (just the earlier stuff), Miike Snow, a bit of Woodkid, and Sigur Ros. I don't even know anymore :disappointed:

When people ask me what kind of music I listen to I say that I listen to a variation of rock.

I like lots of classic, indie, alternative and heavy rock bands.

Then they usually say do you like One Direction? And I give them an evil glare and whisper 'no' :| *walks away*

I just tell them that I listen to the kind of music that inspires me and influences me to proceed with whatever I choose to do with my life, and if you have a problem with it, then I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do...

I don't have a problem with people liking music, but if you gave that incredibly guarded and serious answer I'd have a problem with that. Crazy.

I always just say Coldplay, they are really all I listen to. Sure I'll like a couple other songs by other artist but Coldplay actually makes more than 1 good song lol. People would usually respond with one of the following:

1. Are you serious..?

2. So you don't listen to Heavy Metal/Rap??

3. Oh I love Paradise!!! *facepalm*

4. They are too boring

I've only met 1 over person who new more then 5 Coldplay songs in my school lol. I love the fact that I'm better than everyone else :D

That last sentence! Hahahaha! You're unfortunate enough to only like 1 artist and you think you're better than others. Were you joking?

Given the fact that most people who ask me that question are annoying me

One pretentious person in particular stood out when I thought of that, conversation was like this:

"So, you play guitar, what kind of music are you into?"

"Well listening to a lot of minimal techno lately, when it comes to guitar I guess I started learning from grunge music, I guess I like alternative bands but-"

"No but c'mon, like what artists?"

"....uhm. Radiohead, Beatles, Sigur Ros?"

"No but I mean c'mon everyone knows those bands."

"Fucking hell. I've been listening to Talking Heads a lot lately-"

"Everyone knows them."

At that point I just nodded and walked away. Obviously everyone knows those huge bands but the only other thing you can do is name some fucking obscure band they couldn't possibly have heard anyway, really retarded.

I just tell them that I listen to the kind of music that inspires me and influences me to proceed with whatever I choose to do with my life, and if you have a problem with it, then I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do...

Just tell them you like Coldplay, Muse and Rush, or whoever it is you listen to.

I was going to ask why people would have a problem with your music tastes, but if you're being this pretentious I can see why.

I answer:

Hustle, hustlin' hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin'

Ev-ev-ev-everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Ev-ev-everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin' hustlin' hustlin' hust-hustlin'

It usually shuts them up.

I answer:

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Ev-ev-everyday I'm, everyday I'm, everyday I'm hustlin'

Everyday I'm hustlin' hustlin' hustlin' hust-hustlin'

It usually shuts them up.

Where the fuck have you been?!

now i just say "whatever idk i like everything i guess" which makes many people assume that i dont really care for music and they just wanted me to say "AH FUCK YEAH MAN ACDC AN DMETALLICA" so we can fist bump then chest bump and float into the sun in Music Heaven

im so glad im better than everyone else :D (a classic)

• 4 months later...

I'm actually usually the person who's asking this question. I mean, music is something that means a lot to me, and it's something I'm very comfortable discussing.

I have been asked a few times, though, and I usually say something like this: "I listen to whatever sounds good to my ears. I'm not too picky when it comes to genres, although I don't like country or musicals. I'll give anything a go at least once."