✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate "Magic" and post your review/comments (New Poll - Magic music vid)

Saket

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482

People are all over the lyrics, but there are a lot of Coldplay songs that are lyrically the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are all over the lyrics, but there are a lot of Coldplay songs that are lyrically the same

This!

Of course this song isn't lyrically or musically a masterpiece (can't compete with Viva, The Scientist etc.) but it reminds me that the ''old Coldplay'' are still in there. Especially from 2:30 and onwards I think this is the most ''Coldplayish'' Coldplay has sounded since a long time (just like Up With The Birds). Typical oohoo's , beautiful acoustic guitars(welcome back!) pianos, typical Jonny riffs and a nice lead on bass. I think this song is a perfect mix of the ''new'' Coldplay and the ''old'' one. It's a simple, small and uplifting song.

I don't need difficult lyrics where you have to think for ages to figure out what the meaning is( Not that I wouldn't like that) as long as the music, the peformance and arrangement makes me say: ''Yes this is beautiful'' keep going on like this Coldplay! Can't wait to hear the album! :) Great to have them back!

This is EXACTLY what I thought maybe they are taking a page from their book. I LOVED 2nd Law

yes yes yes. I remember Chris saying that he thought madness was muse's best song yet when it came out.

The 2nd Law is brilliant, I hope Ghost Stories is too :3

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

yes yes yes. I remember Chris saying that he thought madness was muse's best song yet when it came out.

Yes my thoughts exactly! The drums as well as the constant bass lead reminds me of madness, the buildup as well and especially the part where Chris sings: I call it ma-ma-ma-magic :P

Yes my thoughts exactly! The drums remind me of madness, the buildup as well and especially the part where Chris sings: I call it ma-ma-ma-magic :P

exactly! also they both start with the letters 'Ma', are the lead singles and second tracks from their respective albums, have a similar electronic drum beat(as you mentioned), and a build up leading to a sort of guitar climax near the end.

Also both are more or less love songs lol

And they're both amazing!

Guest kmm1482

Yes. Just look at the lyrics of Fix You and some the other earlier Coldplay songs.

This!

Of course this song isn't lyrically or musically a masterpiece (can't compete with Viva, The Scientist etc.) but it reminds me that the ''old Coldplay'' are still in there. Especially from 2:30 and onwards I think this is the most ''Coldplayish'' Coldplay has sounded since a long time (just like Up With The Birds). Typical oohoo's , beautiful acoustic guitars(welcome back!) pianos, typical Jonny riffs and a nice lead on bass. I think this song is a perfect mix of the ''new'' Coldplay and the ''old'' one. It's a simple, small and uplifting song.

I don't need difficult lyrics where you have to think for ages to figure out what the meaning is( Not that I wouldn't like that) as long as the music, the peformance and arrangement makes me say: ''Yes this is beautiful'' keep going on like this Coldplay! Can't wait to hear the album! :) Great to have them back!

I rated this an 8 a couple days ago, but I dunno... It might be better. Can't get over how good it is.

Edit: Does anyone else think of the line "Oh, oh, yes I would" from "Moses," when he says "Oh, yes, I do" at the end here? haha

I love it! :heart:

The sounds of bass and drums get me, and along with the voice of Chris form a quiet and beautiful melody.

I do not think that it have influences from previous albums, has a new "feature" and I love it. Coldplay can not stay stuck in the past, has to move on, stumble a few times and get up to go back up again. But I will always love them :)

this is my humble opinion

That's why it sounds like Madness. He tried to copy it, which really irritates me. The ma-ma-magic part only proves this point.

Guest kmm1482

You don't know that he tried to copy it. Were you there when he wrote it?

That's why it sounds like Madness. He tried to copy it, which really irritates me. The ma-ma-magic part only proves this point.

Yes my thoughts exactly! The drums as well as the constant bass lead reminds me of madness, the buildup as well and especially the part where Chris sings: I call it ma-ma-ma-magic :P

The way Chris sings "ma-ma-ma-magic" is no where near the same that Matt sings "ma-ma-ma-mad-mad-mad". If you somehow stretch the imagination enough to say these two are similar, then you would have to say that any song where the singer ads an extra syllable to a word is the exact same (I'm smelling a buttload of lawsuits here).

I'm really confused by how anyone could get the idea that Magic is anything like Madness. Not that I think it's preposterous that Chris would take ideas from Muse, a lot of artists do that, but this is the worst example ever. The buildup isn't even the same. Madness kicked off with a gritty guitar solo, Magic just slowly went into strumming guitars. I'm not seeing the logic.

Guest kmm1482

Exactly! I don't know how you stretch Chris saying "ma-ma-magic" briefly in the song from Matt Bellamy building an entire song around "ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-madness" over and over.

I gave it a 7. I love how the song gives off this chill vibe. On first listen it sort of reminded me of a Red Hot Chili Peppers song, I'm not sure why but thats what my initial thought was. I don't mind the electronic drums all that much. I think it gives the song an identity. While the electronic drums are prominent in the song, they aren't played through out the whole song. On the second verse the snare sound changes for a bit. Then at about 2:33 the electronic snare changes to a traditional snare drum sound. I think it gives that part of the song a little more punch and works well. They did that with Atlas too. Jonnys guitar at 3:15 sounds something the Edge would play. I think this song has a lot of different elements in it. It's not their best, but it's not bad. There is something about the song that just works for me. The way Chris voice sounds and sings, or Guy's bass. It works for me.

I've been seeing a lot of reviews on here saying " why would Chris write this it sounds like a middle schooler wrote it" and many things similar to that but what if it wasn't Chris that wrote it? :confused:

I doubt it