✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate "Magic" and post your review/comments (New Poll - Magic music vid)

Saket

The worst song theyve ever made, simples. If this was done by another band, no one here would listen twice.

Its not bad but its just not coldplay. Its way too slow and way too bland. Theres nothing to the song. It didnt even make the uk charts. Hopefully not all the album is like this otherwise its going to bomb big time

5/10 for the song

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It did? Oh i thought it didnt. That just shows how bad the uk charts are.

The UK charts are not "bad"

The charts dont just randomly determine which songs are successful, the reception does. If you don't like the songs in the charts, that is your opinion. And, I do think that a high percentage of music with high chart positions these days is garbage, but Magic is an example of a song that is great (yes, most of us like it) and made the top 10.

Nah its a mediocre song. This song only made the top ten cause it was made by coldplay.

If this song was made by a lesser known artist theres absolutely no way it wouldve made the top ten

Im glad they got another top ten hit though. Its not a bad song anyway, just expect more when it comes to coldplay, a lot more

Unfortunately, Coldplay's latest tune sounds more like a stripped-down, poorly-written Bruno Mars song as opposed to exemplifying the deep and inspiring nature the band has come to be known for.

As soon as the song opens, the realization hits that the percussion could hardly be more basic and trite, incredibly exceeding even Mylo Xyloto's "Paradise" in this category. 'Lest this writer give the impression that simplicity is necessarily bad, this is not the case at all. Songs like The Scientist and Fix You, which highlight the alternative rock foursome's catalog, illustrate how simplicity can be equally heartfelt and powerful, but not so here. The bare, repetitive and monotonous lyrics are even more unlike them, quite starkly contrasted with, say, the complex and thoughtful likes of their fourth album's second single, "Viva la Vida." The word magic alone is said nearly ten times without even being in the chorus, and the assertion "no I don't" numbers in the several dozens; talk about commercialized belaboring.

The uninspired stanza rhymes are no less disheartening, playing the entirety of the verses rhyming off the likes off "you" and "through", in a vein similar to the band's 2005 song "Swallowed in the Sea." However, said song offers much more in the way of music quality than "Magic" can fathom. Pianos and glittering synths are sparingly used, and even then only to pretty up the underwhelming premise of the song rather than flex the talent of lead singer Chris Martin. Martin's exaggerated and unbearably-sugary vocals serve only to alienate the listener further from the debacle that is at hand. Only guitarist Johnny Buckland's shimmery guitar near the three minute mark gives this critic any enjoyment out of the song and is a waning reflection of the talent the band has often exhibited since their debut in 2000 but seems in danger of foregoing for chart prowess instead.

To experience such a disappointing and generic effort from one of the world's biggest (and dare I say, best) bands in the world can surely be seen as a testament to music's gradual shift from meaningful verse and melody to catchy chorus and synthetic pseudo-'talent' over the past few decades. On a positive note, the music of other Ghost Stories reveals suggests that maybe all hope isn't to be abandoned for the British quartet just yet.

Rate: 3/10

Possibly my favourite song of them ever actually. Love how everything comes together so nicely in the end- the beat and the bass.

Sure it draws influence from the xx, but the xx are awesome and there are worse sounds to go after. One of the great things about Coldplay is the range of sounds they've gone for- but if you're hoping they'll do another X&Y, Viva or whatever you will be disappointed.

Maybe that's what I like most about Magic- how normal it sounds on today's mainstream radio stations. They've changed with the times- they're still today's band. They won't be releasing a 'Best of' album (like the Killers, Radiohead) anytime soon.

Maybe that's what I like most about Magic- how normal it sounds on today's mainstream radio stations. They've changed with the times- they're still today's band. They won't be releasing a 'Best of' album (like the Killers, Radiohead) anytime soon.

The fact that Radiohead will never change with the times is what makes them infinitely better, not worse. I couldn't possibly be more relieved that Thom Yorke would never do something like this... :sunny:

I'd like to also point out that Viva la Vida didn't sound normal at all. It could not possibly have felt more different, more unique, more 'out of place' on pop and rock radio stations, and yet it was not only one of their best songs imo (behind Clocks and The Scientist) but was still a number one hit in both the U.S. and U.K. If that's not proof that Coldplay doesn't have to put out generic, commercially mainstream, 'normal' songs like Magic to succeed, I don't know what is.

Magic really hearkens back to earlier Coldplay albums, as far as production and instrumentation goes. This makes me really happy. Obviously, the drum beat is more electronic and more simplified, but this doesn't detract much from the song -- it really develops as it progresses. I love the simple beginning, and how it flourishes into a barrage of magical falsetto crooning, acoustic strumming, atmospheric riffing, and synthy swishing. I love the easy-listening Coldplay -- something you can put on as a background when driving and be completely immersed with the ambience. This is why it seems to similar to their earlier stuff to me!

Magic's downfall is its lyrical content. In fact, from all of the songs I've heard from the new Coldplay material, the lyrical content is severely lacking. It seems lazy and underwritten and, frankly, not like Coldplay at all. All of it is completely trite and contrived. You can guess the next lyrics because of the simple and highly unoriginal rhyming scheme. This is not to say Chris Martin has ever been poet-level lyricist, but compared to this stuff -- yes he has. Viva's lyrics are well thought-out and they tell a story. X&Y is vague and cliche, but catchy and expressive. AROBTTH and Parachutes are visceral and heartfelt. Magic's lyrics are poppy and banal.

So this is good background music. I'll listen to this on a rainy day when I'm driving around, or when I'm trying to fall asleep and need to relax, but it doesn't speak to me on any deep level. But hey! Isn't that what pop music should be about? Coldplay is making a concerted effort to be more of a pop band, and that's not bad at all -- especially with this stuff from Ghost Stories. Pop music needs to be more dynamic, and Coldplay's really good at writing that kind of music. So I'm going to give this a 7/10.

PS: I'm new to this site, but I've been a Coldplay fan for a long time and wanted badly to talk about Ghost Stories! So I hope that was a good review. Thank you!

The worst song theyve ever made, simples. If this was done by another band, no one here would listen twice.

Its not bad but its just not coldplay. Its way too slow and way too bland. Theres nothing to the song. It didnt even make the uk charts. Hopefully not all the album is like this otherwise its going to bomb big time

5/10 for the song

i respect ur opinion but it was too harsh. You probably didnt open up ur mind. I love this song i love to sing it and its a really really good song to jam to. If ur into bands perse. Its all abt the bass l:p)

I totally love "Magic".

To be real, when I found out that the first LP6 (Ghost Stories) single would be called Magic, I was kind of worried, every "type" of song that came to my mind talking about magic weren't in their best scenario... But when I listenned to song, I wasn't worried anymore, Coldplay always gets a way to come up with something awesome! :)

I've been reading some interpretations about this song; and a lot of people say that this song is about Chris breaking up with Gwyneth, but am I the only one that sees this song as a falling in love song? He doesn't know if call it magic or true because (for me) he's having the time of his life with this girl and he has been broken into two so many times that he's afraid of getting hurt. Perhaps, I'm the one wrong here, but I only see this song in this way...

I totally love "Magic".

To be real, when I found out that the first LP6 (Ghost Stories) single would be called Magic, I was kind of worried, every "type" of song that came to my mind talking about magic weren't in their best scenario... But when I listenned to song, I wasn't worried anymore, Coldplay always gets a way to come up with something awesome! :)

I've been reading some interpretations about this song; and a lot of people say that this song is about Chris breaking up with Gwyneth, but am I the only one that sees this song as a falling in love song? He doesn't know if call it magic or true because (for me) he's having the time of his life with this girl and he has been broken into two so many times that he's afraid of getting hurt. Perhaps, I'm the one wrong here, but I only see this song in this way...

i see it this way too kinda.. The way he sings idontdontdont know sounds like hes drowned in love

And the instrumental of the song, I don't know, gives me an idea that is something good, what he's feeling...

Also, when he says "I wanna fall, fall so hard" I think he's saying that he wants to keep feeling this way, that's why he wants to fall, fall hard (fall into love).

And finally,

"And if you were to ask me

After all that we've been through

Still believe in magic?

Oh, Yes, I do

Of course I do"

I think some people see this part as "we pass through so much fights and stuff... but I still love you" but I see as "We passed through so much heartbreaks before and you may not believe in magic (love) anymore but I still do, because I love you, and all the heartbreaks were worth it, since they led me to you"

i just found an interesting article regarding Raging Fire in relation to Coldplay's Magic. LOL :D :D

There's a curious thing going on with the major new singles out this week. Phillip Phillips' latest "Raging Fire" sounds a bit like Coldplay, while Coldplay's latest single "Magic" doesn't sound much like Coldplay at all.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/entertainment/248613581.html

• 1 month later...

Why doesnt anybody like Magic?? Reminds me of a close friend who died who was an acrobat my catch he was great, surely we all miss him, great of Coldplay to play this song I think it would be perfect for a grand circus show, thanks Chris for great music.

Why doesnt anybody like Magic?? Reminds me of a close friend who died who was an acrobat my catch he was great, surely we all miss him, great of Coldplay to play this song I think it would be perfect for a grand circus show, thanks Chris for great music.

In case your wondering he was a high rise window cleaner kept the business in the family..

• 6 months later...