✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate "Magic" and post your review/comments (New Poll - Magic music vid)

Saket

I gave it a 7. I love how the song gives off this chill vibe. On first listen it sort of reminded me of a Red Hot Chili Peppers song, I'm not sure why but thats what my initial thought was. I don't mind the electronic drums all that much. I think it gives the song an identity. While the electronic drums are prominent in the song, they aren't played through out the whole song. On the second verse the snare sound changes for a bit. Then at about 2:33 the electronic snare changes to a traditional snare drum sound. I think it gives that part of the song a little more punch and works well. They did that with Atlas too. Jonnys guitar at 3:15 sounds something the Edge would play. I think this song has a lot of different elements in it. It's not their best, but it's not bad. There is something about the song that just works for me. The way Chris voice sounds and sings, or Guy's bass. It works for me.

Indeed. A friend thought it was RHCP in the first 5 seconds too. The bass tone is very similar to Otherside. And the actual chord progression is a little like Scar Tissue.

Everything else about this assessment I agree with too - nice electronic and notelectronic balance. Is good and catchy...but could have been a little bigger and better in places.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how so many people are down on the lyrics !! How can you not like lyrics , that state love is magic !! Love IS magic and it's simplicity is quite possibly the greatest thing in the world .. I love the understated song ! I do agree a lot of other songs have been more poetic / deep not so straight forward but this is to the point and needs no antics ... Love it :) can't wait to see what else is to come !! That's my two cents worth lol

Mostly because they are too simple and repetitive.

Yeah I can totally see why people would find the lyrics subpar, but after all they do go very well with the minimalistic music. They are a good fit in my opinion. We know Chris is capable of writing intricate lyrics (Atlas, Violet Hill, etc,), so this was definitely a conscious decision on their part, to keep it simple and direct. :)

I gave it a "5", because it pretty much leaves me unaffected. I'm not a fan of overproduced, electronic drums, and overly used synths. The guys in Coldplay are great musicians; I want to hear what they can play naturally. I'm hearing less and less of that in their music as they age. I think this is why I prefer the live versions of every song from MX over the studio versions; they're more natural. I could have probably gone 6, or possibly 7 on Magic if the lyrics didn't sound like they were written by a middle schooler. Chris is usually a lot stronger lyrically and I'm surprised these lyrics passed Will's inspection :stunned:

I believe that 'Magic' is not quite dead-on what they should be doing: it's very 'clean' sounding, production-wise, and the lyrics are a little too simplistic. However, I think that this new more relaxed and understated sound generally bodes well for the upcoming album, which is bound to contain some interesting tracks.

Coldplay have a history of releasing a leading single that is designed to be a 'taster' for the sound of the new album... but it's usually not the best track from it. Hopefully this is the case again!

Coldplay have a history of releasing a leading single that is designed to be a 'taster' for the sound of the new album... but it's usually not the best track from it. Hopefully this is the case again!

Exactly. Their first single is never the best track of the album, but like you said a taster. I am sure Magic follows along those lines. I personally can´t wait to hear them at the iTunes Festival. If they do like they did with MX, we will probably hear more new tracks! :laugh3:

honestly i think is a 10 because the lyrics and the melodies fit together in a good way the lyrics maybe lack of advanced poetry but this song i think, it was meant to be the first single so maybe its the more easy to listen song in the album

I changed my vote from a 9 to a 10 on the poll. Granted, the lyrics on their songs have not been as great as on pre MX albums -- my fav: "When your life is architectured by a carnival of idiots on show you better lie low" -- but the more you listen, the more you pick up the complexity of the production. It's also more accessible to the general music-listening population than Midnight, if you know what I mean. I am hoping this album grows even better with each new single that is released.

I loved it from the first 3 seconds. It made me smile instantly, and by the end of it i was crying happy tears becuase of how sweet it is.

I am sure they can do best than this, which is why i gave it an 8. The song is lovely, the lyrics are kind of simple though, but why make a love song complicated, right? idk. i get mixed feelings i guess.

I want everyone to hear it, but please do not pay much attention to it is what goes through my mind.

Nice and sweet but so so simple. I like the quiet start of the song, but the 'and I dont and I don't' reminds me of music I've heard before. It's so safe and not creative to me, and even a bit boring and I like boring! I looove all the Coldplay songs that some would call boring. I like simplicity, but this is just too much of an easy catchy pop track. The song stayed in my head after only the first listen.

As soon as I here the guitar I feel it becomes something more, and more Coldplay, but still..

It's not exactly a song I will keep listening to for years. I hope the rest is more creative and interesting like Midnight. Not that the whole album should sound like Midnight, but just some more originality/creativity, I miss that in Magic.

Lyrics same story.. does Chris want his lyrics to be criticized even more? I dont understand that..

I've been listening to it A LOT lately! I really liked it already but it has definitely grown on me :wacky: I kinda found that little personal connection/feel/whatever that makes me go past the lyrics, that I quite disliked at the start and that taken alone are really not good (I think). But after all you can't really consider lyrics on their own and I find that "and i don't and i don't and i don't" part actually really good. By that I mean it kind of resonates in me.

So, yeah, I find the song very enjoyable.

:wacky:

solid 8. Not the best coldplay song but for me one of their best why? Because i dont know why i cant stop playong the repeat button even after several days or weeks. I should be tired of this song now after listening to it everyday but NO im not tired of it yet ... Its such a good JaMMing song to do with a band urrgghhh. Lyrics are simple but you can feel his emotions on his voice and how he sings it and the instruments and production fits perfectllyyyyyyyy Magic indeed! My fave part is yes also "i dont i dontknow parts" because theres so much doubt mixed with joy on how he says it and means that je is sooo lost or he has been blinded by love that he doesnt know what to do or say! Anway... Magical!

I like the 'and i don't and i don't and i don't and i don't' bit. Very catchy, good melody writing from Chris there. Notice that he harmonises himself on the 'and i' bit but not the 'don't' creating some extremely catchy, off-beat stuff. I also like where he does some falsetto voice acrobatics on the 'ma-ma maaagic' bit. Apart from those, Chris' singing and lyrics throughout the song are very average, not amazing.

I love the intro through, its my favourite part! I think it's guy on the guitar, doing that off beat funky thaang! It's amazing. And a bit of Eno coming though too, with that odd little sound effect, that sounds a bit like a train stopping in a station. That screech kinda puts you on edge for the rest of the song, ready to move. Brian's done well there.

I'm not sure if I like the piano, it kinda clashes, too soft and flowing. I think they should have kept it that awesome edgy, funky guitar. Oh well. Will is pretty good, but I would have liked to have seen more from him, he doesn't really deviate from that beat often enough.