✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Oceans

Tash

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the secret show in LA and I was so beside myself I could barely remember every song once it concluded!!- But I did remember there were a couple that stood out as very "Parachutey" which is a wonderful thing IMHO. Oceans was one and I don't think it is a rehashing of an old style, but a return to a more melodic stripped down, vocal driven song. I was ready for more Coldplay songs without the mid song crescendo and anthemic arena sing along chorus and Oceans fits the bill beautifully- the only other one that stands out from that night was O ...and I could be wrong cuz I was sitting smack dab in front of Chris and the rainbow laser so I am not a reliable witness!!!

I was at the secret show in LA and I was so beside myself I could barely remember every song once it concluded!!- But I did remember there were a couple that stood out as very "Parachutey" which is a wonderful thing IMHO. Oceans was one and I don't think it is a rehashing of an old style, but a return to a more melodic stripped down, vocal driven song. I was ready for more Coldplay songs without the mid song crescendo and anthemic arena sing along chorus and Oceans fits the bill beautifully- the only other one that stands out from that night was O ...and I could be wrong cuz I was sitting smack dab in front of Chris and the rainbow laser so I am not a reliable witness!!!

Was True Love "Parachutey"? How would you describe it?

Was True Love "Parachutey"? How would you describe it?

I can't remember, I was the closest I have ever been or ever will be to my favorite band of all times and I was having a "moment"!!! LOL- If LFDianne is is following this thread maybe she can chime in.....Dianne- you are better than me at this...???

-Edit- OK except for my as my siggy shows, the times I've met the band, lol....that's just weird and kinda uncomfortable and not the same as the electricity of seeing them sing and play in front of you, you know!?!

I think I know why this song is called Oceans. I think "oceans" represent the distance between him and Gwyneth. I think that's why he also sings about meeting again when they are in better terms.

I also love the ending. A true Coldplay song ending!! It's very hopeful and motivational. "You've got to find yourself a love in this world" He's telling himself that's it's ok to move on

I was reading what subreddit r/Coldplay had to say about it and someone who went to the secret gigs mentioned that they remembered the song having a longer instrumental part. So maybe thats where the extra time between this live version and the iTunes version went. Probably edited for radio performance.
I'm having a hard time remembering, but to me the length of the song sounds about right compared to what they played in LA. I do distinctly remember an instrumental section, but it preceded ASFOS, so I figured the instrumental part was part of that song rather than Oceans. Seeing the track lengths though and then seeing this version, I'm willing to bet for this performance they cut out an instrumental section at the end of the song which would then lead into ASFOS.

I can't remember, I was the closest I have ever been or ever will be to my favorite band of all times and I was having a "moment"!!! LOL- If LFDianne is is following this thread maybe she can chime in.....Dianne- you are better than me at this...???

-Edit- OK except for my as my siggy shows, the times I've met the band, lol....that's just weird and kinda uncomfortable and not the same as the electricity of seeing them sing and play in front of you, you know!?!

Kelly, you don't remember True Love because you didn't like it. Lol. "Sound wise" I think it is similar to In My Place, not fast, not slow, and without the "yeah" chorus. If that makes sense.

Kelly, you don't remember True Love because you didn't like it. Lol. "Sound wise" I think it is similar to In My Place, not fast, not slow, and without the "yeah" chorus. If that makes sense.

Cool! Sweet profile picture btw

^ Its always a bummer when the rest of the band awkwardly stands there and half heartedly pitches in a few noises here and there. Too many Coldplay songs are like this. But then again, that is partially why they are so gorgeous and simple. Just Chris on his guitar or piano with some atmosphere thrown in and you got a great Coldplay song! Oceans is no exception!

I have to say I love the sonar sound though... I think it speaks more powerfully about the theme throughout the song than the lyrics do. I would wager that the studio version will find ways to tweak and make all of sonar elements more palatable, plus two extra minutes of instrumentation!?!? Welcome back Parachutes/AROBTTH!

some scattered points: the color of Chris' T-shirt is really a kind of Ocean Blue...; the vocal sound is really good, and it probably takes more efforts to keep in that level of quality as well as for some other GS songs, more challenging - so, real progess from Chris - but for live performance of the coming tour, we can foresee the band would stand/sit more than "being high 5 active" in the past~; some moments, really feel like a voice from an enclosed, deep, and dark corner of the ocean, hence, alone - just wish the hundreds of losts in recent sea accidents [MH370 and Korean Ship] may leave in peace - besides the beauty part, to a human being, the ocean may represent fears and desparation in some cases; Coldplay songs tend to have lifting hopes/tunes at the end always, no matter how it is hard/hopeless, the whole atmosphere of GS seems a lingering/hesistant - don't know whether these is a parallel line between the real life and song writings, although it sounds depressing in one song, hopefully O brings more wisdoms and meanings as a closure; reminds me of certain old B-sides, but with less emotional out-pouring, more restraints with introspections; have to say, there could be a better Album Title than GS given all the song titles and the whole atmosphere. Supposed to be a more studio oriented album.

some scattered points: the color of Chris' T-shirt is really a kind of Ocean Blue...; the vocal sound is really good, and it probably takes more efforts to keep in that level of quality as well as for some other GS songs, more challenging - so, real progess from Chris - but for live performance of the coming tour, we can foresee the band would stand/sit more than "being high 5 active" in the past~; some moments, really feel like a voice from an enclosed, deep, and dark corner of the ocean, hence, alone - just wish the hundreds of losts in recent sea accidents [MH370 and Korean Ship] may leave in peace - besides the beauty part, to a human being, the ocean may represent fears and desparation in some cases; Coldplay songs tend to have lifting hopes/tunes at the end always, no matter how it is hard/hopeless, the whole atmosphere of GS seems a lingering/hesistant - don't know whether these is a parallel line between the real life and song writings, although it sounds depressing in one song, hopefully O brings more wisdoms and meanings as a closure; reminds me of certain old B-sides, but with less emotional out-pouring, more restraints with introspections; have to say, there could be a better Album Title than GS given all the song titles and the whole atmosphere. Supposed to be a more studio oriented album.
I FEEL YA 100%

listening to this song made me think about the ocean's loneliness and sadness and the recent aciddents deaths.. etc... and how the suriviors mustve felt.. this is so spot on i was tearing up a bit when i heard the whole atmosphere of the song.. and the lyrics...T_T

24 April 2014 / submitted by Mariano, Venezuela

Q. Dear O! Can't wait for the release of Ghost Stories! I am so excited! My question is the following: How come the official track-listing reveals that Oceans lasts 5:21 but the performance yesterday at Radio 1 lasted approximately 3:50? Muchas GRACIAS!

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

I love Oceans; it reminds me of Careful Where You Stand. I was going to say that radio prefer radio edits of songs and 4 minutes is a normal radio play length but in reality the remaining minute and a half of Oceans isn't another verse or anything so you heard pretty much the song.