✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How much of Ghost Stories is about Gwyneth?

nathondetroit

Four out of nine Ghost Stories tracks have been [publicly] performed. In all four of those tracks, the subject matter is about two people being apart. Clearly, the focus of the album is on life after a separation.

Obviously, Ghost Stories is fiction. Regardless, I’m sure we’ll get a glimpse of Chris’ perceptions about life during this tough time.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still believe the theory that Ghost Stories is about death, so i'm not really into the idea that the background to Ghost Stories is Chris and Gwenyth's relationship. The two seem to be taking it very well well for a start, in sharp contrast to the rather morbid and depressing lyrics of four performed songs and one written from Ghost Stories so far, and the news is very recent, so I doubt Ghost Stories is based on their relationship, since they even had the name penned for this album back in 2012, let alone the concept!

I still believe the theory that Ghost Stories is about death, so i'm not really into the idea that the background to Ghost Stories is Chris and Gwenyth's relationship. The two seem to be taking it very well well for a start, in sharp contrast to the rather morbid and depressing lyrics of four performed songs and one written from Ghost Stories so far, and the news is very recent, so I doubt Ghost Stories is based on their relationship, since they even had the name penned for this album back in 2012, let alone the concept!

The news is recent, their marriage not going well isn't. They wrote this album while Chris' relationship suffered, there is no way around that. The songs are open to interpretation of course, but this is too much of an impact on his life to not have a direct influence on his songwriting.

I think it's a bit ironic that they've always kept their private lives separate from their professions, and now that they're splitting, this album will inevitably be linked to their private lives. Listening to this album will be a painful experience to my heart.

^^It doesn't have to be about breaking up, you can still celebrate love when you're no longer in love. So maybe those songs are more about the struggles in relationships and how you can still keep loving someone even though you're not together. Which is literally the way C&G are approaching their split, according to the message they posted.

But again, everything is open to interpretation.

I just posted this in the Another's Arms thread, but I want to share here as well:

Okay so I just re listened to Another's Arms after the news of Chris and Gwyneth's split and I really listened to the lyrics and what I got out of it was this:

When Chris says, "when the pages rip right through me" I think that's a good reference to the rumor in the magazine of Gwyneth cheating. Then when he says "when the world means nothing to me" I think he's referencing the fact that he is in one of the biggest bands in the world and has all these great fans, all this success and fame, but it doesn't mean anything to him without her. Its just something I really got to thinking about. I just wanted to share how I interpreted Another's Arms now.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If such interpretations are true I don't see how he will be able to carry out a proper tour for this album, singing these songs and thinking about their meaning every other night. Very sad.

Well, I don't want to be cruel saying these words, it's not my intention at all, but maybe that will be good for the tour. What I mean is that if that's true, in my opinion they are better when they are in a sad mood, being full of pain. You know, the famous sad Coldplay.

I hope none of it! I don't want to listen to the album and be constantly reminded that its about Chris Martin's separation. Its gonna leave such a bad taste in my mouth.

Me neither, but I fear there's truth to it. In Magic, as someone mentioned elsewhere, he says "I just got broken into two". In Another's Arms "used to be you right here beside me" (thereabouts). "You're always in my head", as in she's no longer there physically. Midnight: "in the darkness before the dawn, leave a light on". These are dark times. Please give me hope so I can make it to the good ones.

I don't think connection to a true story is necessarily bad for an album. One of my favorite albums "Troen og Ingen" (Faith and Nobody) by Danish Søren Huss is based on the death of his beloved - very beautiful album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“And Martin gave Paltrow a break-up gift, too: a painting of a bird in flight by Mila Fürstová to mark a new freer stage in their lives.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/gwyneth-paltrow-and-chris-martin-split-goop-has-never-seen-so-much-action-website-crashes-due-to-sheer-demand-as-conscious-uncoupling-announced-9216266.html?dkdkd

As others have noted, this separation has been a process lasting “well over a year”.

It looks like the album art has a personal connection as well—seeing as this is the same artist.

First and foremost, Ghost Stories is a Coldplay record. Coming in close second, this will be a compilation of Chris writing his heart out during these dark times.

I remember a post (twitter from AlbumArtist) saying that this was not true. Post 214 in the thread about the separation.

It says: Album Artists @AlbumArtists

"The story that Chris Martin bought Mila Furstova's Dove as a gift has been made up by the media because Gwyneth posted the image on Goop.

4:28 PM - 26 Mar 2014

I remember a post (twitter from AlbumArtist) saying that this was not true. Post 214 in the thread about the separation.

Think about it this way: After more than a decade of albums and marriage, there hasn't been a deliberate Gwyneth love song. In a similar way, Ghost Stories won't contain any deliberate Gwyneth break up songs. But to quote Chris himself, "She's in there".

The sad thing is that, erroneously, all the media (including music reviews) will refer to this album as Chris singing about the break-up.

Therefore, for many it will not be much about the music but about the message behind the lyrics. I am doubtful that we will see a solid review of the album without taking this fact as background to the album.

It's quite obvious that is is a break-up album IMO, maybe it's not as obvious as Maroon 5's Songs About Jane was but come on, with those lyrics and those song titles how can Ghost Stories not be a break-up album? :(