✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coldplay would never sound like maroon 5. Even if Coldplay go pop, it will never reach that crítical level of poppiness of M5. Coldplay is great in all their genres. Coldplay rock is great. Coldplay ballads are great. Coldplay pop is great too (just think of Hurts Like Heaven or ETIAW)

Coldplay would never sound like maroon 5. Even if Coldplay go pop, it will never reach that crítical level of poppiness of M5. Coldplay is great in all their genres. Coldplay rock is great. Coldplay ballads are great. Coldplay pop is great too (just think of Hurts Like Heaven or ETIAW)

That's true. Coldplay doesn't make quirky pop songs like maroon 5 does.

Maroon 5 Discussion is giving me a theory about LP7.

So I was talking to my friend and he kept saying "Coldplay just hops on pop trends to change their sound..." and after he finished his arguments, I totally kind of sort of agreed. Sure, Coldplay also SETS trends, but in 2005 X&Y coincided with a "revival" of rock music of the mid 2000's. Viva La Vida perfectly jumped on with a new wave of indie pop, indie folk, and indie rock that was proudly led by bands like Arcade Fire. Mylo Xyloto found itself in the beginning of the 2010's which as we know is heavily dominated by electronic pop music. Finally, over the past few years chill-wave and lo-fi, minimalist edm, and ambient records are surging in popularity both in the indie and Top 40 which Ghost Stories matches up with well.

I am not trying to say Coldplay's records are unoriginal or that they are not really unique in their own right; they most certainly are. However, following this trend, what popular sort of music took over 2014, 2015? In my opinion, the answer is 70's and 80's pop revival. Maroon 5's "Sugar" is a sweet, funky pop song that would have fit into the radio 40 years ago, Mark Ronson has done some great 90's beat-bop funk grooves on his new album and "Uptown Funk." Arcade Fire did the disco-infused Reflektor, Daft Punk brought back disco and 80's synthpop back with a roar on Random Access Memories. Overall, the Top 40 has a throwback vibe to it, so maybe AHFOD will too.

Evidence on Coldplay's side: -Wanting to shuffle feet. Could this mean disco? funkiness? more grooviness?

-Working with lots of synths again.

- Citing a-ha. Could be trying to throwback to synth pop feel of 80's?

-AHFOD will be brigher, happier. Perfect for fun 80's dance tunes in my opinion!

So I was talking to my friend and he kept saying "Coldplay just hops on pop trends to change their sound..." and after he finished his arguments, I totally kind of sort of agreed. Sure, Coldplay also SETS trends, but in 2005 X&Y coincided with a "revival" of rock music of the mid 2000's. Viva La Vida perfectly jumped on with a new wave of indie pop, indie folk, and indie rock that was proudly led by bands like Arcade Fire. Mylo Xyloto found itself in the beginning of the 2010's which as we know is heavily dominated by electronic pop music. Finally, over the past few years chill-wave and lo-fi, minimalist edm, and ambient records are surging in popularity both in the indie and Top 40 which Ghost Stories matches up with well.

I am not trying to say Coldplay's records are unoriginal or that they are not really unique in their own right; they most certainly are. However, following this trend, what popular sort of music took over 2014, 2015? In my opinion, the answer is 70's and 80's pop revival. Maroon 5's "Sugar" is a sweet, funky pop song that would have fit into the radio 40 years ago, Mark Ronson has done some great 90's beat-bop funk grooves on his new album and "Uptown Funk." Arcade Fire did the disco-infused Reflektor, Daft Punk brought back disco and 80's synthpop back with a roar on Random Access Memories. Overall, the Top 40 has a throwback vibe to it, so maybe AHFOD will too.

Evidence on Coldplay's side: -Wanting to shuffle feet. Could this mean disco? funkiness? more grooviness?

-AHFOD will be brigher, happier. Perfect for fun 80's dance tunes in my opinion!

I would actually enjoy that sound a lot! And David Rosi said it sounded like the Village People!

That's what i said as soon as chris wrote that hunting high and low was an important album for the band. I have no doubt a head full of dreams will be influenced by a-ha but with a twist that only Coldplay could create. [emoji41]

Huh. That's a good point actually. I'm suddenly really interested in what this album will sound like--and more hopeful that it won't be the sugary substance-less pop that some of us feared. I've never been a huge fan of the 70s & 80s sound (I have U2 and Queen songs from that era, but that's about it), but with a Coldplay twist it definitely sounds interesting.

. . . This is also telling me that we need another wave of indie and rock music :wink3:

Imagine if Coldplay create a big and revolutionary song, like Bohemian Rhapsody, or Wish You Were Here or Smells Like Teen Spirit. Not in this genre, necessarily, but with the same hystorical proportions!

They already did it with viva la vida.

Viva La Vida was a great song, but still miles away from Bohemian Rhapsody, per example....

I constantly hear Viva la vida being played in most sports stadiums both in the US and in europe.. i hear the radio still spinning viva la vida, most peoople i know think highly of viva la vida.. so yep.. in decade or so, people would see viva la vida as a timeless classic on par with bohemian rhapsody etc.

I think Viva la Vida is a great song that everybody knows and loves and can sing along too, Coldplay fan or not. And it is great in stadiums of course, it really gets a crowd going and I say good on Coldplay for achieving that, but Bohemian Rapsody etc. are a whole new level. Like the greatest songs of all time. I wouldn't place it up there.

But at the same time, you don't heat Bohemian Rapsody being sung at stadiums by crowds of people at sport events do you now? So I guess Viva wins in its own right :)

I think Viva la Vida is a great song that everybody knows and loves and can sing along too, Coldplay fan or not. And it is great in stadiums of course, it really gets a crowd going and I say good on Coldplay for achieving that, but Bohemian Rapsody etc. are a whole new level. Like the greatest songs of all time. I wouldn't place it up there.

But at the same time, you don't heat Bohemian Rapsody being sung at stadiums by crowds of people at sport events do you now? So I guess Viva wins in its own right :)

I agree with u. you have great points. However, in my opinion, whether bohemian rhapsody is better than viva is a different debate. my point is, viva la vida is a classic song and will be remembered and celebrated my future generations to come. so yeah, congrats to coldplay for crafting such. :) :)

I really do think that Coldplay is very much aware of what's going on in the music industry. Somehow it helps them to stay relevant. It would be repetitive and uninteresting at the same time if they keep on making songs or albums using the same style or genre. Not that I don't want another A Rush of Blood to the Head caliber album but I know the band has the ability to make great songs while exploring other styles and genres as well. Take Viva la Vida or dare I say MX. They carefully utilized what was trending on a specific period and treated it as their own... adding twist in their formula-based sound. I was initially alarmed when Chris said on an interview that they don't care anymore on what people might say on what they are going to release. But I realized that it was never an issue because they never had challenged the music soundscape. Yes, they had innovated their sound but never changed the game plan for music. But it all worked for them and worked for us. It's like every album is a summary of a particular point in time.

Agree 100%. I expect the album to sound like this... and can't wait!!!!