✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I also thought Coldplay (and especially Chris) are influenced by what is going on in music at the moment, however I think this is a pity because what is going on in music in the last decade is not my taste at all, so I don't want Coldplay to lean on that. 2-3 years onwards will mark the 50th anniversary of the arrival of the flower power/hippie/Woodstock generation music, and I'd love if today's music would get closer to this (or the late 90's/beginning 00's indie rock) sound again rather than going down the electropop/ambient road... But I guess this will stay a wish.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also thought Coldplay (and especially Chris) are influenced by what is going on in music at the moment, however I think this is a pity because what is going on in music in the last decade is not my taste at all, so I don't want Coldplay to lean on that. 2-3 years onwards will mark the 50th anniversary of the arrival of the flower power/hippie/Woodstock generation music, and I'd love if today's music would get closer to this (or the late 90's/beginning 00's indie rock) sound again rather than going down the electropop/ambient road... But I guess this will stay a wish.

Well as you should know I am a musician and I want to get a band and be Beatles famous so when I get famous i will bring back the 90's for you my friend.

Maroon 5 Discussion is giving me a theory about LP7.

So I was talking to my friend and he kept saying "Coldplay just hops on pop trends to change their sound..." and after he finished his arguments, I totally kind of sort of agreed. Sure, Coldplay also SETS trends, but in 2005 X&Y coincided with a "revival" of rock music of the mid 2000's. Viva La Vida perfectly jumped on with a new wave of indie pop, indie folk, and indie rock that was proudly led by bands like Arcade Fire. Mylo Xyloto found itself in the beginning of the 2010's which as we know is heavily dominated by electronic pop music. Finally, over the past few years chill-wave and lo-fi, minimalist edm, and ambient records are surging in popularity both in the indie and Top 40 which Ghost Stories matches up with well.

I am not trying to say Coldplay's records are unoriginal or that they are not really unique in their own right; they most certainly are. However, following this trend, what popular sort of music took over 2014, 2015? In my opinion, the answer is 70's and 80's pop revival. Maroon 5's "Sugar" is a sweet, funky pop song that would have fit into the radio 40 years ago, Mark Ronson has done some great 90's beat-bop funk grooves on his new album and "Uptown Funk." Arcade Fire did the disco-infused Reflektor, Daft Punk brought back disco and 80's synthpop back with a roar on Random Access Memories. Overall, the Top 40 has a throwback vibe to it, so maybe AHFOD will too.

Evidence on Coldplay's side: -Wanting to shuffle feet. Could this mean disco? funkiness? more grooviness?

-Working with lots of synths again.

- Citing a-ha. Could be trying to throwback to synth pop feel of 80's?

-AHFOD will be brigher, happier. Perfect for fun 80's dance tunes in my opinion!

I disagree. Yeah, their lead singles are usually a representative of what's popular in modern music, but the rest of said album(s) couldn't be farther from it. 2005 was a strange time for music, because there was just so much going on. A lot of (very dated) mid-2000's hip-hop, some rock, but a lot pop-punk/rock. X&Y was very, very far away from what was popular during that time frame, as was A Rush of Blood to the Head and especially Viva La Vida. I still say there is not one single album I have ever heard that sounds like Viva. There just isn't. Coldplay very much made that album their own, and I cannot think of one specific genre they pulled from for anything on that album.

Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories made it a bit more obvious, but even then, it was only prevalent on their lead singles. I used to say ETIAW was a lot like the early 2010's, but in hindsight, it's not. Not at all. Yeah, it uses synths, but people have been using synths for ages. Paradise and A Sky Full of Stars are the only songs they have made/released as singles that sound exactly as the year they released them in. You can't tell me songs like Charlie Brown, Always In My Head, Up With The Birds, O, Ghost Story or even Princess of China are following a specific trend. (Not you specifically, but anyone.) I see your point, but I've always maintained the belief Coldplay is one step ahead of everyone else. And they have been since 2000. The amount of bands that adapt to the "Coldplay sound" is astounding. And ironically, it almost never works for them because Coldplay has truly set a standard for alternative rock bands.

I disagree. Yeah, their lead singles are usually a representative of what's popular in modern music, but the rest of said album(s) couldn't be farther from it. 2005 was a strange time for music, because there was just so much going on. A lot of (very dated) mid-2000's hip-hop, some rock, but a lot pop-punk/rock. X&Y was very, very far away from what was popular during that time frame, as was A Rush of Blood to the Head and especially Viva La Vida. I still say there is not one single album I have ever heard that sounds like Viva. There just isn't. Coldplay very much made that album their own, and I cannot think of one specific genre they pulled from for anything on that album.

Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories made it a bit more obvious, but even then, it was only prevalent on their lead singles. I used to say ETIAW was a lot like the early 2010's, but in hindsight, it's not. Not at all. Yeah, it uses synths, but people have been using synths for ages. Paradise and A Sky Full of Stars are the only songs they have made/released as singles that sound exactly as the year they released them in. You can't tell me songs like Charlie Brown, Always In My Head, Up With The Birds, O, Ghost Story or even Princess of China are following a specific trend. (Not you specifically, but anyone.) I see your point, but I've always maintained the belief Coldplay is one step ahead of everyone else. And they have been since 2000. The amount of bands that adapt to the "Coldplay sound" is astounding. And ironically, it almost never works for them because Coldplay has truly set a standard for alternative rock bands.

It's because Coldplay has been the most well known alternative rock band in the last 15 years.

I see your point, but I've always maintained the belief Coldplay is one step ahead of everyone else. And they have been since 2000. The amount of bands that adapt to the "Coldplay sound" is astounding. And ironically, it almost never works for them because Coldplay has truly set a standard for alternative rock bands.

Case in point: the new Mumford and Sons album

And the closest I've come to categorizing Viva is just saying it's art rock :P A tiny part of me is still hoping AHFoD is like that

I agree with your point for the most part. I don't want to take away from the uniqueness of any of Coldplay's works. I think that X&Y has an awesome overall sound to it that is really unique as far as rock records go in 2005 and Viva, Mylo, GS, absolutely have atmospheres that are really different than most music out there and I love Coldplay for that. I suppose what I mean is that in more general, broad terms, their albums (especially singles as you mentioned) are unique yet fit in nicely to their time periods. VLV and AROBTTH, and Parachutes are particularly unique and very trend setting.

I wouldn't, however, call Coldplay only a trend setting band. I honestly think that they deserve more comparisons to Radiohead, U2, Arcade Fire, Travis, Jeff Buckley, etc. Often times it is very clear, and they even mention, wanting to sound like some other artist in a track (not that there is anything wrong with that, that is art). Conversely, countless other bands have been inspired by Coldplay, big and small. They definitely set and follow trends in popular music, and there is nothing wrong with that. I feel it is potentially a useful predicting tool in guessing what AHFOD might entail :)

And you are right about some of those tracks. Coldplay has some amazingly original and odd sounding songs. I listen to a lot of music of all sorts of genres, but still have never heard anything similar to 42, Major Minus, parts of Charlie Brown and POC, and even a couple tracks on X&Y.

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I love how the band puts twists on a lot of their songs, they put different chord progressions and different riffs on certain songs, i miss that, i hope we hear some of that on ahfod. [emoji2]

I wouldn't, however, call Coldplay only a trend setting band. I honestly think that they deserve more comparisons to Radiohead, U2, Arcade Fire, Travis, Jeff Buckley, etc. Often times it is very clear, and they even mention, wanting to sound like some other artist in a track (not that there is anything wrong with that, that is art). Conversely, countless other bands have been inspired by Coldplay, big and small. They definitely set and follow trends in popular music, and there is nothing wrong with that. I feel it is potentially a useful predicting tool in guessing what AHFOD might entail :)

I should have worded that better. I love Radiohead and Coldplay. Radiohead is more talented, but I think Coldplay manages to reach more people solely because they just have something Radiohead, or most alternative bands, don't. What it is, I'm not sure. But it's amazing (and funny) to see bands release new songs, only for the comments to be, "So, why does ____ now sound like Coldplay?" or, "This new song by ____ pulled a Coldplay." The only artists to become verbs are the ones who, at one point in time, managed to separate themselves from everyone else and do their own thing.

And yeah, it really is a nice tool for predicting AHFOD! I genuinely don't know what to expect at this point, but I'm not worried. This site freaks out about every little detail, but Coldplay does it best when they go big and go loud.

Case in point: the new Mumford and Sons album

And the closest I've come to categorizing Viva is just saying it's art rock :P A tiny part of me is still hoping AHFoD is like that

Exactly! I love when bands try to reinvent their sound, but honestly, Mumford and Sons seemingly found a safe haven in 2000's-style Coldplay, and tried to make it their own.

Hell, I was even looking at some relatively new Yellowcard song, and the comments were like, "Ew, why did they go Coldplay?" FOR FUCKING YELLOWCARD.

I should have worded that better. I love Radiohead and Coldplay. Radiohead is more talented, but I think Coldplay manages to reach more people solely because they just have something Radiohead, or most alternative bands, don't. What it is, I'm not sure. But it's amazing (and funny) to see bands release new songs, only for the comments to be, "So, why does ____ now sound like Coldplay?" or, "This new song by ____ pulled a Coldplay." The only artists to become verbs are the ones who, at one point in time, managed to separate themselves from everyone else and do their own thing.

Never had been the trend setters but always the band that is brilliant on what they do. Someone also mentioned earlier that Coldplay is a step ahead of everybody and I agree with that. No wonder bands emulate their style :laugh3:

I'd also be interested in knowing some bands that sound (or try to sound) similar to Coldplay. I know that Young The Giant is one of the bands going for a very Coldplayesque sound, although to be honest they are actually pretty good.

I'd also be interested in knowing some bands that sound (or try to sound) similar to Coldplay. I know that Young The Giant is one of the bands going for a very Coldplayesque sound, although to be honest they are actually pretty good.

Keane sounds like coldplay.

^I'd second Keane. Maybe Muse in their Absolution/BHaR days. U2 of course.

I recently discovered two indie bands called Brolly and Racing Glaciers--I'm really impressed with their sound, and I think of it as very Coldplay-esque. Unfortunately, neither have very many songs out at the moment

[video=youtube;uWfmQ20BMzQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfmQ20BMzQ

[video=youtube;r8M-eZWTtug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8M-eZWTtug

the curious thing about so many contemporary young bands sounding like coldplay is that, almost all of them don't want to cite coldplay as an influence or associate with them in any way. i think that has to be with the lack of "coolness" factor in coldplay. anyway, hope this would change in the future.