✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now im not saying that we should accept everything that coldplay does (i am the first one to criticize them when its needed and i did with MX and X&Y) but this thread doesnt feel the same anymore, it used to be about constructive critics and just people being happy around each without bashing coldplay's previous works. Some people here hate GS and MX so much that can almost make some people feel bad for liking those two albums. You guys need to breathe, take a step back and see things are.

That

Why I'm trying no to be too hyped:

When I first listened to Midnight, I was blown away. Fuck, it was incredible. The atmospherics, texture, production, the new direction, everything was perfect about that song. It was exactly what Coldplay needed to do: something experimental. I even fooled myself into thinking that their next album would be their version of Kid A.

Then, Magic came out. I was so fucking underwhelmed by this poppy, RNB track. Sure, it was alright, and pretty catchy, but after a few listens it just became kinda dull. I still like the track to some extent, and I could have tolerated a whole album of that, but I wouldn't have liked it very much.

Then people began hyping the next single, ASFOS. People were saying "it's the new Viva la Vida!!" "it's a lot like DLIBYH!!". Then I actually heard the shit excuse for a song and almost gave up on Coldplay right then and there.

I can't help but feel excited and optimistic, but I think we may end up being disappointed.

I agree with Midnight. It's amazing. Magic is sort of that low-tone poppy song and I know it's definetiely not for everyone. I personally am fine with it. But.. ASFOS? What do you find wrong with that? It's a GS-type song (which I know isn't for everyone) and it's also very uplifting. I don't see why you don't like it. But I do respect your opinion. It's fine if you don't like it. I just don't see why you don't like it. I love it! I love nearly every one of Coldplay's songs. Yes, some are better than others, but I do not hate any Coldplay song.

Also, if you're scared about this being a GS-type album, it's not. Coldplay's said that this album will be more upbeat. So if anyone doesn't like GS, there's no evidence of a repeat in AHFOD. It's most likely going to be something new that lots of people will enjoy. I like the pictures so far. If you have a problem with GS you're probably going to find some light at least in the new album because it's not going to have a lot of similarities to it. I myself like GS, it's my third-fav album from Coldplay, But I love the new upbeat-ness that seems to be coming. I think there's many reasons to be excited. Something new's from Coldplay very soon. It's going to be great. I can feel it. I know because I love every single of Coldplay's albums. :D

Btw I don't think this secret gig happened. There were a couple of guys who were waiting with me over there who reported after I left that chris martin 'and his crew' had come back at ten thirty. The two guys then tried to enter the pub in the hotel but were denied entry because they weren't on the guest list. I'm guessing that they assumed this to be a sign of coldplay performing, which I think is flawed. A guest list isnt necessarily the sign of a gig, that too a coldplay gig.

Also, it seems rather strange for coldplay to play a private gig at their hotel in india, especially after two long days of shoot.

thanks for keeping us updated Suhit! too bad you didn't get a chance to talk to any coldplay guys.

I remember when i used to love this thread, now it makes me just cringe, but probs cause im not 15 anymore.

Coldplay are out there doing shit and all i read about is people complaining... and about what? For all we know this could even not be a music video but something else.

Im not new to this, i witnessed the release of MX, GS and now AHFOD and this has been the worse experience on cping even tho it was not so different from the previous two you know at the end this thread is always reduced to:

1) fans that call themselves oldplayers (which i find rather sad, i dont remember your username but i must be honest to you, dont take offence)

2) fans that want just impossible things like a more alternative album

3) people like me that are too old for this shit anyway

4) fans that complain about things that dont exist

5) trolls

Now im not saying that we should accept everything that coldplay does (i am the first one to criticize them when its needed and i did with MX and X&Y) but this thread doesnt feel the same anymore, it used to be about constructive critics and just people being happy around each without bashing coldplay's previous works. Some people here hate GS and MX so much that can almost make some people feel bad for liking those two albums. You guys need to breathe, take a step back and see things are.

I dont mean this post to be offensive to anyone, its just a little rant and advise from someone that has seen stuff like this for 5 years now

Several people have used the word Oldplayer over time, so I don't know who exactly you mean, but anyway I am one of those people. I don't hate MX and GS. Yes, I dislike GS with the exception of 2-3 songs but that doesn't mean I never listen to it. And I like several songs on MX. The songs on MX are good pop songs. But I strongly believe Coldplay can do (and used to do) better.

So you see it's not about hate, but about preferences on atmosphere, sound, genre. As it happens, I prefer the older stuff compared to the newer ones. Nothing wrong with that either.

Sorry all my comments come in separate posts, only my internet is very slow and it takes ages for me to go through all those pages so when i see something worth responding, I write a quick response post immediately.

I wanted to say one thing about the article bashing Coldplay for using Holi symbolism.

We all know the guys did not mean to offend anyone, but as has been pointed out, the fact that they're Brits + the fact that it undoubtedly is some kind of India cliche to the eyes of many natives explains that such views appear. However, exotic cliches in music (and film, although that seems to have gotten a little bit better) are unfortunately very common. As for Coldplay's "sins", first of all the POC video comes to mind, but I don't even think that was their worst foreign-country cliche.

In my opinion their worst is the clearly Arabic instrumentation in Yes, their only song about sensuality and desire. And that's pure Orientalism as cliched as it can get. It's actually one of the reasons Yes makes me a little uncomfortable when it comes up during VLVODAAHF.

I agree with Midnight. It's amazing. Magic is sort of that low-tone poppy song and I know it's definetiely not for everyone. I personally am fine with it. But.. ASFOS? What do you find wrong with that? It's a GS-type song (which I know isn't for everyone) and it's also very uplifting. I don't see why you don't like it. But I do respect your opinion. It's fine if you don't like it. I just don't see why you don't like it. I love it! I love nearly every one of Coldplay's songs. Yes, some are better than others, but I do not hate any Coldplay song.

Also, if you're scared about this being a GS-type album, it's not. Coldplay's said that this album will be more upbeat. So if anyone doesn't like GS, there's no evidence of a repeat in AHFOD. It's most likely going to be something new that lots of people will enjoy. I like the pictures so far. If you have a problem with GS you're probably going to find some light at least in the new album because it's not going to have a lot of similarities to it. I myself like GS, it's my third-fav album from Coldplay, But I love the new upbeat-ness that seems to be coming. I think there's many reasons to be excited. Something new's from Coldplay very soon. It's going to be great. I can feel it. I know because I love every single of Coldplay's albums. :D

In all honesty I could go on a ten page rant about how awful ASFOS is. But I'll spare you the time, it's just too EDM for me, and sounds like a desperate attempt to go mainstream. It's everything everyone feared Princess of China would lead to. In addition, it sounds really out of place on a gloomy, introspective album, especially when it is followed by the massive tear-jerker O.

And I know we won't be getting a second GS. I'm simply afraid that AHFOD will follow the template that ASFOS has laid out: dancey, mainstream songs that make Coldplay sound like David Guetta rather than the true musical geniuses we know them to be. :)

In all honesty I could go on a ten page rant about how awful ASFOS is. But I'll spare you the time, it's just too EDM for me, and sounds like a desperate attempt to go mainstream. It's everything everyone feared Princess of China would lead to. In addition, it sounds really out of place on a gloomy, introspective album, especially when it is followed by the massive tear-jerker O.

And I know we won't be getting a second GS. I'm simply afraid that AHFOD will follow the template that ASFOS has laid out: dancey, mainstream songs that make Coldplay sound like David Guetta rather than the true musical geniuses we know them to be. :)

I see what your saying.... yeah I don't want Coldplay to go too mainstream. I still like ASFOS but I'm cool if you don't like it. It's fine with me. Yeah EDM definetely isn't for everyone. I like how Coldplay's trying new things though. They seem to do it every album and since I have a wide taste of music I really am enjoying what Coldplay makes out of it. :)

I like a few dancey mainstream songs but I really wouldn't like it if Coldplay turned into the kind that always did them. I really want them to keep trying new things. It's really made a lot of people like them. IMO I'm really enjoying all the different stuff they're trying and putting their own twist on it. For me what they usually come out with when they're experimenting and trying new things is really original and creative, I really like it. But as I said before, obviously it isn't for everyone. I really hope AHFOD doesn't follow all the dancey mainstream stuff though. That we can agree on. But I really like what the new pics are showing us. It seems like a very promising album... I can't wait to see what they come up with, I'm sure it'll be great! :P