✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Up&Up" is bland and terrible. One of their worst song. They went for Oasis (“Don't look back in anger” or “Champagne Supernova”) and failed miserably. It' supposed to be a cathartic song but it doesn't earn its catharsis.

Compared to some of their most universally reviled songs from the past, it's far worse than “A sky full of stars” and it's nowhere near as good as “Princess of China”, a rock masterpiece disguised as top 40 pop/r'n'b. Hell, I even like “True Love” and its strange, oblique chord progression and guitar solo (at least for a pop song).

Off AHFOD I liked “Adventure of a lifetime” well enough, but “Amazing Day” and especially this bring to a new low my expectations for the album.

It's not about personal taste, it can't ALWAYS be about taste.

You can like, say, “High Speed” more or less than “Amsterdam”, but they're both songs worthy of a great band. I personally don't care that much about “Fix You”, but then again who can deny it's a wonderful song in its own right?

The problem with Chris Martin nowadays is that he's not sincere anymore, not with himself at least. He seems like an extremely intelligent and talented human being, but something's been off for years. He's right, Coldplay have never been a rock band. But they've never tried to be something they're not until “MX”.

Sure, with “Ghost Stories” they proved they're not afraid of heartbreak. But plain, vague sadness without anger or real despair (“Ghost Stories”, with rare exceptions, for instance the bonus tracks) is exactly the same as plain, vague happiness without the fear it all could end in a second (“MX”, “AHFOD”).

It's not just about the lyrics (even “Warning Sign” is a great track with cringe inducing lyrics), you can feel it the music.

You can't trick your Muse into writing something you don't feel. Or better, you CAN do it, and he proves it because he's a professional, but the results will be, well, “Up&up”.

Coldplay, embrace your deepest fears. Embrace your inner demons. In “Up&Up” you fix your car but, guys, remember how badly you wanted that faster car in the first place. You made it. Then you started living life inside a bubble, you slowed down. Don't worry, push your pedal, we have confidence in you and in high speed.

You don't like Fix You...You like Princess of China, and True Love....You have expressed enough for me to excitedly disagree with everything that you wrote! It's so interesting to see the difference in opinion, and preference. To each their own

"Up&Up" is bland and terrible. One of their worst song. They went for Oasis (“Don't look back in anger” or “Champagne Supernova”) and failed miserably. It' supposed to be a cathartic song but it doesn't earn its catharsis.

Compared to some of their most universally reviled songs from the past, it's far worse than “A sky full of stars” and it's nowhere near as good as “Princess of China”, a rock masterpiece disguised as top 40 pop/r'n'b. Hell, I even like “True Love” and its strange, oblique chord progression and guitar solo (at least for a pop song).

Off AHFOD I liked “Adventure of a lifetime” well enough, but “Amazing Day” and especially this bring to a new low my expectations for the album.

You can like, say, “High Speed” more or less than “Amsterdam”, but they're both songs worthy of a great band. I personally don't care that much about “Fix You”, but then again who can deny it's a wonderful song in its own right?

The problem with Chris Martin nowadays is that he's not sincere anymore, not with himself at least. He seems like an extremely intelligent and talented human being, but something's been off for years. He's right, Coldplay have never been a rock band. But they've never tried to be something they're not until “MX”.

Sure, with “Ghost Stories” they proved they're not afraid of heartbreak. But plain, vague sadness without anger or real despair (“Ghost Stories”, with rare exceptions, for instance the bonus tracks) is exactly the same as plain, vague happiness without the fear it all could end in a second (“MX”, “AHFOD”).

It's not just about the lyrics (even “Warning Sign” is a great track with cringe inducing lyrics), you can feel it the music.

You can't trick your Muse into writing something you don't feel. Or better, you CAN do it, and he proves it because he's a professional, but the results will be, well, “Up&up”.

Coldplay, embrace your deepest fears. Embrace your inner demons. In “Up&Up” you fix your car but, guys, remember how badly you wanted that faster car in the first place. You made it. Then you started living life inside a bubble, you slowed down. Don't worry, push your pedal, we have confidence in you and in high speed.

You like sky full of stars and princess of china and doesn't like up&up.... Woow Up&Up must be amazing hahahaha, thanks for the tip =P

yeaaahhh-imma-need-you-to-stop-sending-these.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32983[/ATTACH]

You like sky full of stars and princess of china and doesn't like up&up.... Woow Up&Up must be amazing hahahaha, thanks for the tip =P

I know, I'm surprised as well.

Anyway, I don't really like "A sky full of stars", I just think it's better than "Up&Up"... which is not saying much for me.

Then again, I guess that Coldplay, as they usually do for every album, will crank out a couple of very good songs very soon. Probably as b-sides, like "Ghost story", "All your friends" and "Moving to Mars".

Guest howyousawtheworld

How can anyone blessed with the gift of hearing say that ASFOS is better than Up & Up?

Jesus fucking Christ. I've heard it all now.

Oookaaay... Let's just agree to disagree on basically everything you said.

I think the problem for some people is that right now Coldplay's music is in someway simpler lyrically and melodically, but at the same time instrumentally it is richer than it ever has been. You can hear that these new songs they have gone through a long production progress.

When before the VLV and MX songs were almost only carried by melody which Chris came up with, and there wasn't really room for rest of the band to be inventive. Only chance for songs to be good was that Chris had a great demo for band. This wasn't interesting anymore for them and they started learning from Brian Eno. So, through the last 3 albums their production has become one the richest in world music scene right now.

But at the same time, it might be true that songs underneath that production don't feel so pure and straightforwardly good as they were before. And with all these production it's possible to "tire out" the song sometimes. Often you need to be able to take in all the little details of the song to appreciate them.

I'd say that contribution by Guy, Jonny and Will has never before been even close to how great it is now. Up&Up is amazing! Becoming one of my favourites, i think.

giphy.gif

I'd say that contribution by Guy, Jonny and Will has never before been even close to how great it is now.

I agree with what you're saying and I think you're right about Jonny coming into his own, but the bass has always been there for everyone to listen and enjoy, especially on "Parachutes", where you could actually hear it without having to look for it under layers of ambient noises.

I think production is a double-edged sword fro Coldplay. I don't want to sound repetitive, but to me a song like "High Speed" has a much better production than anything on MX. It's leaner and the complexities are due to the instrumentation more than the layers of sound. Having said that, I can appreciate the "busy"-compressed production on songs like "Lovers in Japan" or "Life in Technicolor II" because it fits them perfectly.

BTW, the crowd tonight was not very good, considering how special this concert was!

They only seemed to know ASFOS and the Viva chant. Can't blame them though.

Geez, all these positive comments about AHFoD and U&U are really making me want to listen to them. A U2 vibe!?!? A 7-minute closer?!?!?!? :o

. . . People saying this album will be their best since Viva?!

I don't know if I'm going to be able to hold out these last two weeks, guys :lol:

I believe in you! You can hold out! That way the songs will be much better for you because you will hear them on the album, the way they were meant to be heard.

Chris Martin was formerly timid and introverted

Chris Martin (38, "Viva la Vida") has earlier perceived the hype in the music business as a burden. "I was anxious and introverted, yes. Today this is a bit different, "the Coldplay frontman told the magazine" Focus ".

"A large proportion of self-confidence comes from the knowledge that with Coldplay we are four true unity and can absolutely rely on each other." He was no longer a problem with it if someone does not like his band. "We have to apologize to anyone for what music we make."

The new Coldplay album "A Head Full Of Dreams" comes out on December 4.

x

all the german fans out there, would be great if you can find this article. sounds like an interesting read.

It's just, like, why waste all that money for a few songs? The girl was even sleeping on his shoulder and at one point he had to wake her up. :|

As far as tonight goes -- wow. I am so beyond hyped for this album now I should probably cool down a bit. This has potential to be a classic Coldplay album.

Yeah seriously. Those are the same people who sing the wrong "ohs" part in Paradise's chorus. If you get what I mean lol.

Yeah seriously. Those are the same people who sing the wrong "ohs" part in Paradise's chorus. If you get what I mean lol.

lol, I do know what you mean.

My all time worst memory of fake coldplay fans was during a livestream. An interviewer asks some concert goers who their fav band was. They said it was Coldplay. The interviewer asks them to name the 4 members. Annnnnnd they couldn't even get past Chris...I think someone didn't even name Chris at all!

I'm picturing people trying to do the Viva chant during Paradise and that's one hilarious image :lol:

I'm waiting also. We can do it! Not long now! [emoji2]

*aggressively stuffs cotton in ears and tries to ignore multimedia forum*

We can do it! We can do it!

EDIT: I accidentally typed "We can't do it!" and I didn't even catch it. That's a bad sign, isn't it lol