✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jonny is definitely stealing the show on this album! We have to mention Guy too though, his basslines are getting groovier and groovier. The best bit during AOAL at the Tidal gig last night was Guy's little solo bit right before "You make me feel like I'm alive again". Chills!

Jonny is definitely stealing the show on this album! We have to mention Guy too though, his basslines are getting groovier and groovier. The best bit during AOAL at the Tidal gig last night was Guy's little solo bit right before "You make me feel like I'm alive again". Chills!

Yes. His basslines on this album so far are freaking awesome and aren't hidden too much by production which is good!

A Spell A Rebel Yell, your quote's in red.

The Adversary, your quote's in blue.

jc90, your 2 quote's are in gold.

oldmuckers, your quote's in green.

gai, your quote's in magenta.

Coldplay1987, your 2 quote's are in orange.

CP-EST, your quote's in dark purple.

ColdplayingfromKansas, your 2 quote's are in teal.

AMDB9, your 2 quote's are in a purplish-grey.

coldplaykb, your quote's in pink.

goodmusiclover, your quote's in light blue,

Haruka, your quote's in turquoise.

MickCas, your quote's in light salmon.

ov3la, your quote's in hot pink.

Seme332, your quote's in maroon.

[

My favourite song :P

Nice ! :D

At least Coldplay play their hits. Didn't Blur go through a phase of not playing any of their singles?

Yeah it gets boring fast for super fans like us, but it's great for the casual concert goer.

Yeah, not playing any of their hits would be just as bad tho. You can play them most of the time but they should really try to switch it up IMO.

And thats really who the concert is for tbh. I remember hearing fans overhearing other fans not recognizing 'Warning Sign' during the MX tour.

:facepalm:

lol' date=' I [i']do [/i]know what you mean.

My all time worst memory of fake coldplay fans was during a livestream. An interviewer asks some concert goers who their fav band was. They said it was Coldplay. The interviewer asks them to name the 4 members. Annnnnnd they couldn't even get past Chris...I think someone didn't even name Chris at all!

:facepalm: LOL that's terrible

hmmm... I seem to fit those qualifications! Unless that was a typo and you meant over 1000 posts.

hmm that's right! You shall be a Honorary Coldplay I must agree!

@Sparky are you reading this? If @jc90 is right:

Yeah' date=' Sparky created the group, Honourary Coldplayers (in which I'm a part of as well :pleased:) for users over 10 years with over 100 posts.[/quote']

then @oldmuckers over here should be honourary Coldplayer! He/she has been here for 12 years (over 10 years met) and they do have over 100 posts.... so I'm not sure why they didn't get added to the list. Hmmm....

i'm really glad that coldplay gave up on one annoying eno lesson - limiting song length to <4 mins. i am starting to see the value of stargate in this setting a little bit more now. otherwise we might not have gotten 6+ min album closer.

It's just amazing they let go of that rule... now that that rule's gone they seem to be much more free and creative now. As a result, we now have a 7 minute album closer (about 7 minutes, only 11 seconds short:D) But that's the longest Coldplay has ever done, I can see why they waited forever.... it sounds like after that one guitar solo it'd end but it just keeps building up.I remember one person's prediction for a track titled "Lucid" being around 6+ minutes. This is essentially what would have been that. I'm happy with Coldplay, because now, they're back to making amazing long song. :D

"Up&Up" is bland and terrible. One of their worst song. They went for Oasis (“Don't look back in anger” or “Champagne Supernova”) and failed miserably. It' supposed to be a cathartic song but it doesn't earn its catharsis.

Compared to some of their most universally reviled songs from the past, it's far worse than “A sky full of stars” and it's nowhere near as good as “Princess of China”, a rock masterpiece disguised as top 40 pop/r'n'b. Hell, I even like “True Love” and its strange, oblique chord progression and guitar solo (at least for a pop song).

Off AHFOD I liked “Adventure of a lifetime” well enough, but “Amazing Day” and especially this bring to a new low my expectations for the album.

It's not about personal taste, it can't ALWAYS be about taste.

You can like, say, “High Speed” more or less than “Amsterdam”, but they're both songs worthy of a great band. I personally don't care that much about “Fix You”, but then again who can deny it's a wonderful song in its own right?

The problem with Chris Martin nowadays is that he's not sincere anymore, not with himself at least. He seems like an extremely intelligent and talented human being, but something's been off for years. He's right, Coldplay have never been a rock band. But they've never tried to be something they're not until “MX”.

Sure, with “Ghost Stories” they proved they're not afraid of heartbreak. But plain, vague sadness without anger or real despair (“Ghost Stories”, with rare exceptions, for instance the bonus tracks) is exactly the same as plain, vague happiness without the fear it all could end in a second (“MX”, “AHFOD”).

It's not just about the lyrics (even “Warning Sign” is a great track with cringe inducing lyrics), you can feel it the music.

You can't trick your Muse into writing something you don't feel. Or better, you CAN do it, and he proves it because he's a professional, but the results will be, well, “Up&up”.

Coldplay, embrace your deepest fears. Embrace your inner demons. In “Up&Up” you fix your car but, guys, remember how badly you wanted that faster car in the first place. You made it. Then you started living life inside a bubble, you slowed down. Don't worry, push your pedal, we have confidence in you and in high speed.

Are you SERIOUS???? PoC or ASFOS better than this?

I think you need to buy a new set of ears.

PoC is ABSOLUTE TRASH compared to Up&Up. So poppy, how could you like such (in comparison) a bland song to a MASTERPIECE????

I know, I'm surprised as well.

Anyway, I don't really like "A sky full of stars", I just think it's better than "Up&Up"... which is not saying much for me. Then again, I guess that Coldplay, as they usually do for every album, will crank out a couple of very good songs very soon. Probably as b-sides, like "Ghost story", "All your friends" and "Moving to Mars".

Oh, that's refreshing to know that you don't hate every single good song Coldplay has done. I thought your ears were literally broken there for a sec! :D

I think the problem for some people is that right now Coldplay's music is in someway simpler lyrically and melodically, but at the same time instrumentally it is richer than it ever has been. You can hear that these new songs they have gone through a long production progress.

When before the VLV and MX songs were almost only carried by melody which Chris came up with, and there wasn't really room for rest of the band to be inventive. Only chance for songs to be good was that Chris had a great demo for band. This wasn't interesting anymore for them and they started learning from Brian Eno. So, through the last 3 albums their production has become one the richest in world music scene right now.

But at the same time, it might be true that songs underneath that production don't feel so pure and straightforwardly good as they were before.

And with all these production it's possible to "tire out" the song sometimes. Often you need to be able to take in all the little details of the song to appreciate them.

I'd say that contribution by Guy, Jonny and Will has never before been even close to how great it is now. Up&Up is amazing! Becoming one of my favourites, i think.

Exactly. Coldplay's melodies and lyrics may have gone downhill just a bit but so far in the new album instrumentally and production-wise it just kind of adds that magic to the song that makes you like it anyway. Up&Up is still have a beautiful and gorgeous melody, even tho it is a bit generic. The intro is AWESOME to that song. But now, it seems like Chris is letting the whole band really join in for once. Their contributions are the strongest so far, and I honestly think that's why they've changed directions again. Chris as only came up with so much stuff on his own, so he let the other band members think of some ideas on their own, and that caused a new type of Coldplay to appear again. I'm loving how Chris is also letting so many people outside of the band too add their own "colors" to the album to make it even more interesting and flavorful and different than before. They're combining all their colors from their previous albums into one (probably mostly the other band members contributed that), they're still holding on to pop a bit (Chris), and they're also trying to put as much different influences and genres "colors" into there as possible that they've never done before. They want to cover everything they're interested in into one album, and each song would be different, yet feel like they belong together. It's hard to explain, but essentially they're putting every single color into one colorful, happy, celebratory album "A Head Full Of Dreams". I LOVE their thinking and experimentation so far.. keep it up Coldplay.

Hopefully this album is better than anything Coldplay've done so far. :D

Geez, all these positive comments about AHFoD and U&U are really making me want to listen to them. A U2 vibe!?!? A

7-minute closer?!?!?!? :o

. . . People saying this album will be their best since Viva?!

I don't know if I'm going to be able to hold out these last two weeks, guys :lol:

Yup, 2 EPIC guitar solo's in the closer as well. One's around the later 3 minute mark and you think the song's done, but NO! It keeps building and building and building to the 5 minute mark, where the SECOND solo hits, And boy is that one ever sweet. The outro is so sweet and really feels like something to finish off the album. To finish off... an era. Even though Coldplay is for sure not done yet, this outro almost makes you want to cry if Coldplay were to finish off. The intro to the closer is perfect... just when you do hear it, you'll ADORE it. :D

I'm picturing people trying to do the Viva chant during Paradise and that's one hilarious image :lol:

*aggressively stuffs cotton in ears and tries to ignore multimedia forum*

We can do it! We can do it!

EDIT: I accidentally typed "We can't do it!" and I didn't even catch it. That's a bad sign, isn't it lol

LOL.... combining 2 of Coldplay's best into 1... I'm not sure how that'd actually go if it's just make it better or just completely ruin the whole thing :lol:

LOL you actually accidentally typed "We can't do it"? You've only 12 more days... mmm with how awesome the album closer is I'm not sure even that seemingly short time till the release would be bearable :lol:

IM SORRY LOL

They only seemed to know ASFOS and the Viva chant. Can't blame them though.

Ummm lots of them literally SCREAMED when they heard AOAL come on....

Some close-ups of Jonny's guitar and also words on Chris' shirt

I'm guessing Army of One will be a single because it appears on the guitar in the same lettering as AOAL and HFTW

You can also see two stickers saying "A" and "Hea" (that one's covered by his arm. pointing to the reality that "A Head Full Of Dreams" will also be a single.

Oh ok, gotcha haha. Well anyway for anyone else wondering, I found a video of it. Go to 3:50

You can hear the mixed "ohs". It makes me cringe! Lol.

LOLLLL they did the second "oh" pattern when they were supposed to do the first one..... :D

When we're already at the topic of horrible fans: One of the most cringeworthy things is when fans clap on the 1st and 3rd beat instead of the off-beat. Here's a video with an obviously annoyed pianist. The cool thing is that he plays an additional fifth beat at 0:39 to correct the wrong clapping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3iaURppQw

And I thought Chris Martin was good at piano...:D

That's so much talent there, he did some improv to fix the clap of the fans! Never heard of that before:P

About A Head Full Of Dreams: too short' date=' have to listen again but the lyrics are a bit confusing...[/quote']

That's the thing about AHFOD, it felt like it was only 2 minutes when I first heard it, felt too short. But after listening to it it feels a bit longer.... it just doesn't feel varied enough to seem like a piece that'd be almost 4 whole minutes long. Makes it feel shorter.... other songs can get away with being 3 and a half minutes just because they're so varied. AHFOD is great but I think it needs more variation.

I didn't listen to Up and Up and I am trying not to do it until 4 th dec...don t know if it is a good idea because I ve read all your comments and my expectations are very high...

About pepole without any Coldplay knowledge at concerts. I was the only one in my area to sing Warning Sign, 2012 tour. It was so special, i ve felt it like a connection between me and the band, not just band and the crowd.... omg i cried soooo much that day

If you keep your expectations down, I'm just saying the better the song will seem to you. I was SO HAPPY when I heard A Head Full Of Dreams because I expected some poppy EDM song but as it turned out it was more alternative "mature pop". I'm very happy that they've at least grown up with pop now and doing some of the more mature stuff, and also going back to their roots a little with the rock. When you expect worse things but surprisingly get something amazing in return, your happiness level is still way higher than if you'd expected something AMAZING but got something AMAZING. Let me tell you, this song is A FREAKING MAZING and it IS almost 7 minutes, the song just keeps building Up&Up, (:D), because the second you thing the outro comes the second guitar solo (Noel's) comes in. The intro makes it seem like a real goodbye is coming, and the outro seems like the PERFECT way to end off an era. At this point (EVEN THOUGH I KNOW IT"S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, DON'T BE ALARMED BECAUSE YOU THINK IM ACTUALLY THINKING THIS OKAY WARNING YOU NOW :P) I wouldn't be nearly as dissappointed if the band called it a day than if it was just a normal ending. (But I still need to go to one of their concerts). This here is definetely the ending of an era. It combines sadness, sorrow, celebration, happniess, electronic drumbeats & real drumbeats, guitar solo's of different kinds, a choir voice where EVERYONE is singing, a bit of pop elements and a bit of rock elements, slow beats and fast beats, high times and low times at the right spots, and the list goes on and on... this song PERFECTLY sums up Coldplay so far in one, long song. It's just... the perfect way to end off an era. And that'd make this song bring me to tears every time. Especially if Coldplay were to end, this song would make me break down :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: This is the song they've been waiting to make for 15 whole years. 15 WHOLE YEARS! Just imagine that. They've done all this stuff, ever since Ode To Deoderant, up until Up&Up, They've tried many different styles, and this song covers almost all of it. (not ALL of it, but you just can't do that in one song) but this is PERFECT to finish off this great era. They had to make all this great music first, then they could finally sum it all up, and it'd make much more sense.

AHFOD will be so much better than MX. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Hopefully you're right. This'll have to be a near PERFECT album to be better than that though.

So, I dunno what you guys think, but for me all this is starting to make sense: The whole time all they (or Chris) talk about is how this album is like closing a chapter for them, or truly arrive at some place they always wanted to be. The album is like a piece for them which represents all what they have done so far and brings it to a masterpiece (at least in their minds, not judging the album yet positively or negatively).

Basically, what I noticed which made me click was: There are all these little pieces in these new songs (also those they played at the TIDAL gig) that bring back old albums.

#1 At the start of the concert right before AHFOD starts you can hear this sound. It sounds exactly like the one from their Live 2012 DVD right before they get on stage (when the pretext is appearing on screen).

#2 The start of Amazing Day... Every time I hear the beginning of that song how they played it at TIDAL (the same sound is there the whole song, just very in the background) I can think nothing but "VIVA"... It sounds so much like it's coming right from the VLVODAAHF era and could be perfectly used as an intermission between two songs from then.

#2.5 Also, Amazing Day has a big time Christmas Day vibe to it within the "oooh-ohhhh" parts.

#3 AOAL sounds like taken from MX with a AHFOD spin onto it. The voices in the background and all that stuff just fits perfectly.

#4 At the end of Up&Up I imagine a intermission just like at the end from Oceans from GS before X Marks The Spot comes on. That song, in all it's glory, has generally all the feelings from past eras into it, and it truly feels like something they wanted to do for 15 years just as Chris said it.

+ #5 All these choir things and collaborations with other artists. I think this album is here to celebrate the, their past, what they are now, the future and the world and life in general.

So, yeah... These are my thoughts so far :)... Sorry for the long post :D

Also, Up&Up in and of itself has almost everything in it so far. Two guitar solo's, electronic and real drums, the sad but happy intro + outro, sad and happy points, slow and fast points... you could go on and on but that essentially sums up Coldplay in a nutshell IMO. Nearly everything they've done in one song. Great job Coldplay, You've waited on 15 years and you created an absolute masterpiece, bringing it all together. You've been thinking of it for that long and more and more influences came in to make this AMAZING song.

I agree with all you've said.

Yes. His basslines on this album so far are freaking awesome and aren't hidden too much by production which is good!

It seems like that in this album, all of the band, not just Chris, really begins to shine. :D

EDIT: 2000th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D :bliss: :bliss: :loveshower: :loveshower: :loveshower:

it just doesn't feel varied enough to seem like a piece that'd be almost 4 whole minutes long. Makes it feel shorter.... AHFOD is great but I think it needs more variation.

it sounds incomplete, like Life in Technicolor i.... at the same time, I don't know if they performed the whole song due to set length restrictions.

btw, that rhythmic guitar 'til 0'57 has almost the same pattern as the verse of Where The Streets Have No Name.

A Head Full Of Lyrical blatancy and musical middle of nowhereness that have reached the point I do not know how to follow
That was so well put :|

I think I'll just trudge along, as always, and pick out the songs that I like, and ignore the rest.

it sounds incomplete, like Life in Technicolor i.... at the same time, I don't know if they performed the whole song due to set length restrictions.

btw, that rhythmic guitar 'til 0'57 has almost the same pattern as the verse of Where The Streets Have No Name.

Exactly. I love the song itself, nice bassline, guitar is pretty good, it flows well, it seems pretty new and original, and all around it's a great song, but it does feel incomplete. It needs more variation, and hopefully you're right about them not playing the full thing, hopefully they didn't play the REAL bridge or something so we still have some fresh music to listen to :D

Why don't you think the album will be number one?

I think the album will miss out on the number one spot because of the amount of high-profile releases around the same time. Adele's new album will likely hold the number one spot when AHFOD comes out and it's going to be tough to match that success.

Just trying to click bait and create hype about this being the last album (after we know it isn't).

And they link to another article...where they say the same thing. And they go "In addition to Adventure of a Lifetime, there's this song from a 34 second clip- likely to be another hit."

Except...the song is obviously Adventure of a Lifetime... these people who write this, are they high?