✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

NME Magazine:

From Tiny London Pub Gigs to 'A Head Full of Dreams': Coldplay Through The Years

http://www.nme.com/photos/from-tiny-london-pub-gigs-to-a-head-full-of-dreams-coldplay-through-the-years/392995?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=coldplay#/photo/1

from the article:

iHeartRadio Festival, 2015. Performing in Las Vegas this September, they readied themselves for the release of new album 'A Head Full of Dreams'. A long way since that 1999 Bull & Gate show, after which the NME review lamented that the band were due to take a break to finish their university exams but concluded: "The best things, it seems, comes to those who have no choice but to wait."

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up & Up was very interesting to me. I was expecting the chorus to go a different direction, and then it kind of sounded like a Beatles song (not a bad thing). I was expecting something with strings, or a little more in tune with the pre-chorus melody.

Not saying this as a bad thing. It just surprised me.

Here is my ranking so far:

1. Up&Up

2. Amazing Day

3. A Head Full of Dreams

4. Adventure of a Lifetime

So far, I have instantly loved the first three songs on my list, and AOAL is growing on me to the point that I'm really starting to enjoy it. So far, I consider AHFOD to be as good as or better than MX, but I'm going to be cautious about everything I haven't heard yet because I have really low expectations for Hymn For the Weekend. That's probably going to be a weaker track in my opinion but I might be pleasantly surprised.

they played amsterdam during the parachutes tour. other than that, you might be right.

They also played Til Kingdom Come more than a month before X&Y came out.

I didn't listen to Up and Up and I am trying not to do it until 4 th dec...don t know if it is a good idea because I ve read all your comments and my expectations are very high...

That is one of the problems of waiting and then coming here and read the comments. The whole song might be ruined for you because you have so high expectations.

I will suggest keeping your expectations low. After all, some people here don't think is that great and that might be the case for you.

I think it is a masterpiece, though. So if I were you I would hear it at least once.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Seriously, Up & Up is a fucking epic!

Just think of the scenes if they could get a children's choir, Beyonce and Noel Gallagher all on stage at the same time! It would make Band Aid look like a primary school performance!

did anyone else notice a major change in the atmosphere around here? it was mostly doom and gloom till last night :laugh3: serves us right for judging musical output of an era by a glimpse and some dodgy quotes from chris.

btw, there is still some room for the doom and gloom to blossom. we haven't heard the other 8 songs yet.

but it's so nice to see the positivity at least for the time being.

Guest diogo_sg
did anyone else notice a major change in the atmosphere around here? it was mostly doom and gloom till last night :laugh3: serves us right for judging musical output of an era by a glimpse and some dodgy quotes from chris.

btw, there is still some room for the doom and gloom to blossom. we haven't heard the other 8 songs yet.

So so so true.

Maybe the "get, get it together" chorus in Up&Up was directed specifically to us. :D :wink2:

They also played Til Kingdom Come more than a month before X&Y came out.

I was unaware of that as well. I became a fan right after X&Y was released. Viva was my first album release so I only have that, MX, and Ghost Stories to go off of. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Okay I caved and listened to the new songs once each. Now I'm good to wait until the album :D

AHFoD - I thought people were exaggerating when they said it was basically a U2 cover. Turns out they weren't :lol: Love it. I think it will work great as an album opener. Very HLH and DLIBYH

Up&Up - Jonny and Noel are gods okay I have nothing else to say about this just asd;lfhs;;l

Okay I caved and listened to the new songs once each. Now I'm good to wait until the album :D

AHFoD - I thought people were exaggerating when they said it was basically a U2 cover. Turns out they weren't [emoji38] Love it. I think it will work great as an album opener. Very HLH and DLIBYH

Up&Up - Jonny and Noel are gods okay I have nothing else to say about this just asd;lfhs;;l

Oh man, people are saying not to get too hyped, but the more I read, the more hyped I get! [emoji44]

So, I dunno what you guys think, but for me all this is starting to make sense: The whole time all they (or Chris) talk about is how this album is like closing a chapter for them, or truly arrive at some place they always wanted to be. The album is like a piece for them which represents all what they have done so far and brings it to a masterpiece (at least in their minds, not judging the album yet positively or negatively).

Basically, what I noticed which made me click was: There are all these little pieces in these new songs (also those they played at the TIDAL gig) that bring back old albums.

#1 At the start of the concert right before AHFOD starts you can hear this sound. It sounds exactly like the one from their Live 2012 DVD right before they get on stage (when the pretext is appearing on screen).

#2 The start of Amazing Day... Every time I hear the beginning of that song how they played it at TIDAL (the same sound is there the whole song, just very in the background) I can think nothing but "VIVA"... It sounds so much like it's coming right from the VLVODAAHF era and could be perfectly used as an intermission between two songs from then.

#2.5 Also, Amazing Day has a big time Christmas Day vibe to it within the "oooh-ohhhh" parts.

#3 AOAL sounds like taken from MX with a AHFOD spin onto it. The voices in the background and all that stuff just fits perfectly.

#4 At the end of Up&Up I imagine a intermission just like at the end from Oceans from GS before X Marks The Spot comes on. That song, in all it's glory, has generally all the feelings from past eras into it, and it truly feels like something they wanted to do for 15 years just as Chris said it.

+ #5 All these choir things and collaborations with other artists. I think this album is here to celebrate the, their past, what they are now, the future and the world and life in general.

So, yeah... These are my thoughts so far :)... Sorry for the long post :D