✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

First off, my name is not Nancy, but since you wanna call me that, let me call you Positive Polly then !

Second, so Polly, you must have mixed me up with someone because Atlas and MTM are not among my liked songs (but many Oldplayers do like them, so I think you got me mixed up with someone else). But yeah, I love Ghost Story and to a certain extent I like Paradise, Princess Of China and Fun. But @cp3176 got it right - I said most. No contradiction there.

Oh I know that is not your name but you said and I quote, "by all means do call me that". :P

Interesting.. Hmm. Most is a broad term. Well that's great that you like Paradise, Princess Of China and Fun, to an extent. Change is the only constant in life, aside from death and taxes. I'm trying to broaden your Coldplay musical horizon. You really are missing out on fun(pun intended) stuff. Later in life you may look back and wish that you would have opened up to change. Instead of clinging onto the past. I will say though, as each day goes by, I personally gain a better understanding and profound gratitude for the first 3 albums. I will commend you on your admiration and passion for the first 3 albums. It is unlikely any I have seen before. As the lyrics to Politik go, " Open up your eyes". ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh I know that is not your name but you said and I quote, "by all means do call me that". :P

OK, next time I'm gonna mark sarcasm with an extra big /s for you ;)

Interesting.. Hmm. Most is a broad term. Well that's great that you like Paradise, Princess Of China and Fun, to an extent. Change is the only constant in life, aside from death and taxes. I'm trying to broaden your Coldplay musical horizon. You really are missing out on fun(pun intended) stuff. Later in life you may look back and wish that you would have opened up to change. Instead of clinging onto the past. I will say though, as each day goes by, I personally gain a better understanding and profound gratitude for the first 3 albums. I will commend you on your admiration and passion for the first 3 albums. It is unlikely any I have seen before. As the lyrics to Politik go, " Open up your eyes". ;)

Look, I get that you really like Coldplay's newer stuff and I'm happy that you do, but to each his own. I don't feel that I am missing out on something if I do not like or listen to Coldplay's newer stuff. I strongly doubt I will regret not having liked Coldplay's more recent output, which is by the way a weird thing to postulate in itself- when would you ever expect someone to go "I wish I would have liked this music back then" ?? Either you like something or you don't. My life does not revolve around Coldplay. Not even my musical life revolves around Coldplay - I may adore their earlier work but it's not all I listen to; four years ago I didn't even know them. That said, I am (and I believe that's key to understanding my opinions) really picky in terms of music and personally think that the vast majority of what is put out these days is not worth it. Perhaps I like early Coldplay so much because they were the first contemporary artist I found myself enjoying not one or two songs but entire albums ! I do find it deplorable that they have changed their style that much because I think they used to make excellent music and I think that they are not doing excellent music any more at this point. That's my opinion and I know you don't share it, but well, for me personally it's saddening that the percentage of music I enjoy from their respective albums is now almost down to an average contemporary artist. In short, they are not special to me anymore, far from it.

Indeed, there is no reason to be too somber my comrades.

Yes, I think it is fair to say Coldplay peaked with Viva and declined ever since in terms of artistry. But we can all at least admit their last 3 albums have been pretty stinking good even if they aren't masterpieces. AHFOD has issues, and it doesn't feel as passionately made or well crafted, but it has flashes of brilliance.

But Coldplay does need to take a look at themselves now and decide what kind of band they want to be. With their modern era music they have pandered a bit too much to different pop flavors to remain relevant. And look, I legitimately believe they had fun and put loads of work into AHFOD and that they all really enjoy the pop sounds they were pursuing. Unfortunately the music feels stale; like sub-par pop music married to sub-par alternative rock. They need to return to making music that is more organic and takes longer to simmer.

They need to commit to simpler ideas and FOCUS ON THE SONGWRITING NOT PRODUCTION. Coldplay's best music is stripped, simple, and beautiful. I really hope they just return to the studio and make something acoustic with little extra production. They have dabbled in every kind of music now. They should return to their roots.

Touché! Well said. Enuff said[emoji106]

Hymn for the weekend sounds better than I ran away.

I feel the same about this :) But looking at this thread I almost had to reach for the popcorn again....no not again, Im getting fat of all the popcorn! LOL

I simply adore AHFOD and the newer stuff, but I would not feel entitled to say to someone else that they ´re "missing out" if they don't like it. When people say that to me about anything.."oh you're missing out, you should broaden your horizons, you should like this, you should should..." I just get pissed off ! haha It implies that what I like is not good enough and what they like is better....

So I do get the good intention of people saying this, but imo it always comes out wrong. Oldplayers telling us the new stuff sucks and we must be deaf to like it or newplayers saying that people not liking AHFOD are boring, pathetic, or whatnot...I mean I know people don't use these words but its implied in all the subtle attempts to "turn" people around. I respect people saying what they wanna say, but I just think that going beyond sharing and trying to push people into anything or make people uncomfortable for liking something is only gonna lead to people getting upset.....and the rest reaching out for more popcorn *LOL*

• Like 1

Look, I get that you really like Coldplay's newer stuff and I'm happy that you do, but to each his own. I don't feel that I am missing out on something if I do not like or listen to Coldplay's newer stuff. I strongly doubt I will regret not having liked Coldplay's more recent output, which is by the way a weird thing to postulate in itself- when would you ever expect someone to go "I wish I would have liked this music back then" ?? Either you like something or you don't. My life does not revolve around Coldplay. Not even my musical life revolves around Coldplay - I may adore their earlier work but it's not all I listen to; four years ago I didn't even know them. That said, I am (and I believe that's key to understanding my opinions) really picky in terms of music and personally think that the vast majority of what is put out these days is not worth it. Perhaps I like early Coldplay so much because they were the first contemporary artist I found myself enjoying not one or two songs but entire albums ! I do find it deplorable that they have changed their style that much because I think they used to make excellent music and I think that they are not doing excellent music any more at this point. That's my opinion and I know you don't share it, but well, for me personally it's saddening that the percentage of music I enjoy from their respective albums is now almost down to an average contemporary artist. In short, they are not special to me anymore, far from it.

Oh haha you got me.. Make sure you put a /S down in the future. :P

"When would you ever expect someone to go "I wish I would have liked this music back then"??"

Sometimes people stick to only listening to specific music, which is great, power to them. I'm trying to articulate that there is more out there if you are willing enough to open up to it. And you have stated that you have given it a chance, but it's not your thing. That's fine too. In today's modern age, for better or for worse, we don't have to chain ourselves down. As they say, the sky is the limit. It's just whenever I see you post about Coldplay and what used to be, I can't help but wish to help you see all the other wonderful songs they have released post 2009. It feels like(do correct me if i am wrong) you have listened to the newer stuff, but dislike most of it. When hearing new music from your favorite artists, do you compare them to previous works? Or do you view them from an open fresh perspective? Both ways are perfectly fine. I've noticed with the Oldplayers thread, it feels like a lot of reminiscing about the past. Which is great to do, but what if one day you get so caught up in the past that you forget what lies ahead of you? You know what I mean? I just don't want you to feel stuck in time listening to the first 4 albums. Again it's just something I personally have come to notice; with a lot of "Oldplayers". I've never met you in real life but I'm sure if I did you would seem very passionate and down to earth which is very admirable I must say to conclude. :)

@iranaway, for me at least, I just want you to appreciate Coldplay's new music (though you're not the MOST negative person on the forum). It might not be what you like anymore but at least appreciate that it is a good album. It's by no means great, but it's solid. And i feel you on your idea, I'd rather listen to Nirvana's Nevermind than In Utero or Blur's The Great Escape than Parklife but I understand that those albums are good (in this instance, extremely good). You're a good man.

It might not be what you like anymore but at least appreciate that it is a good album. It's by no means great, but it's solid. And i feel you on your idea, I'd rather listen to Nirvana's Nevermind than In Utero or Blur's The Great Escape than Parklife but I understand that those albums are good (in this instance, extremely good). You're a good man.

I hear you, man. I love the new album hehe But if I didn't like it, I would not think its good. I mean liking something and thinking is good are quite related, don't you think? Unless you are judging an album by other criteria, I don't know...technical ones. If she ( @I ran away is a woman) doesn't like the new songs, how can you expect her to think the album is good? Not sure I get it.

And comment on what @Spider-Man said (man I love Spider-Man btw...unrelated I know but I cant help my comic book geekiness LOL). I agree that the Oldplayers are fixated on the first albums, but I don't really see it as them being stuck in the past...they just like that kind of music and don't like the new or some of the new albums. Again I don't think they are "stuck" to the past just because they like the past. I mean if Coldplay released similar songs in the future to the first albums, Im sure they would like them straight away. Or at least thats my impression of Oldplayers.

That said it is true that sometimes you don't like something and then you re-listen to it in another time or context and suddenly you like it, but imo that sort of just happens sometimes you cant even explain why. Music tastes are a mystery to the logical mind :)

I hear you, man. I love the new album hehe But if I didn't like it, I would not think its good. I mean liking something and thinking is good are quite related, don't you think? Unless you are judging an album by other criteria, I don't know...technical ones. If she ( @I ran away is a woman) doesn't like the new songs, how can you expect her to think the album is good? Not sure I get it.

It's like saying U2 sucks and is terrible. That's not exactly true. You might not like it or that music but U2 isn't terrible. Theyre the biggest band in the world and and rolling in money right now which came form the tremendous success they got. So you might not like the music but they don't suck.

• Like 1

It's like saying U2 sucks and is terrible. That's not exactly true. You might not like it or that music but U2 isn't terrible. Theyre the biggest band in the world and and rolling in money right now which came form the tremendous success they got. So you might not like the music but they don't suck.

Playing devil´s advocate here...but someone might say that just because something is successful and popular it doesn't make it good. McDonald is popular and rolling in money :) Then you can say "but the critic consensus is..." and then one can say "but thats just a bunch of opinions at the end of the day and changes with culture/time etc..."....really its like going in circles *LOL*

I do really like the idea of an objective "good or bad" but so far I have not found them to be anything but relative subjective terms.

Playing devil´s advocate here...but someone might say that just because something is successful and popular it doesn't make it good. McDonald is popular and rolling in money :) Then you can say "but the critic consensus is..." and then one can say "but thats just a bunch of opinions at the end of the day and changes with culture/time etc..."....really its like going in circles *LOL*

I do really like the idea of an objective "good or bad" but so far I have not found them to be anything but relative subjective terms.

True cause I mean what is good really mean?

EEDIT: I looked it up and it means to be desired. U2 is desired by many therefore they are good. Boom. Lol

True cause I mean what is good really mean?

EEDIT: I looked it up and it means to be desired. U2 is desired by many therefore they are good. Boom. Lol

*LOL* I think then you can phrase it as "most people think U2 are good", but if they are not desirable to me then I won't call them good :) And what happens then to something that once was met with very little approval and then later on is met with large approval? Was it then bad and now good? What if a band is wildly popular in one culture but not in another? It then makes it good in one context and bad in another, right?

Therefore ultimately good and bad are still relative terms imo :)

• Like 1

Guest kmm1482
Indeed, there is no reason to be too somber my comrades.

Yes, I think it is fair to say Coldplay peaked with Viva and declined ever since in terms of artistry. But we can all at least admit their last 3 albums have been pretty stinking good even if they aren't masterpieces. AHFOD has issues, and it doesn't feel as passionately made or well crafted, but it has flashes of brilliance.

But Coldplay does need to take a look at themselves now and decide what kind of band they want to be. With their modern era music they have pandered a bit too much to different pop flavors to remain relevant. And look, I legitimately believe they had fun and put loads of work into AHFOD and that they all really enjoy the pop sounds they were pursuing. Unfortunately the music feels stale; like sub-par pop music married to sub-par alternative rock. They need to return to making music that is more organic and takes longer to simmer.

They need to commit to simpler ideas and FOCUS ON THE SONGWRITING NOT PRODUCTION. Coldplay's best music is stripped, simple, and beautiful. I really hope they just return to the studio and make something acoustic with little extra production. They have dabbled in every kind of music now. They should return to their roots.

I 99% agree with everything. All except us all agreeing that the last 3 have been good. To me, other than 2 or 3 songs on each, they're unlistenable. I bought 2 songs off of AHFOD and havent revisited the rest since the album came out. I applaud the rest of your post though [emoji5]️

Guest kmm1482

I agree. It's weird, if Viva era (and before) me were to read or hear post MX era comments about the band, I'd thought I'd gone mad. There wasn't any possible way on this earth that Coldplay could have disappointed me. And the fact that my comments about the band now are seen as "negative" would have crushed Viva era me. I jumped on the train the first time I heard Yellow in 2000, they were the first band I every followed and bought music from. I bought and sought out everything; shirts, rare singles, magazines, and impatiently waited to watch every appearance on any show. Now, I'm really not looking forward to seeing them at the Super Bowl. That really does make me sad to take a really important element of my life, what makes me, me, and to let go of it. They could very well come back in 5 years and have something resembling what I loved about the band, but from the sound of it, I don't think that's going to happen

Just saying not everyone prefers Coldplay music "stripped and simple". I for one would find an album filled with piano or acoustic guitar ballads a complete bore a la Celine Dion.

Ghost stories is as "stripped" as I'd like Coldplay to be. It's an album I like a lot in which they managed to have quiet introspective songs but still very interesting varied and engaging.

• Like 1

I was walking downtown today and put on AHFOD for the Nth time and I must say it just gets better and better. Not speaking of the individual tracks, but as an album Im starting to think its my favorite Coldplay album, because it has a perfect flow. No "fillers" or too long (X & Y Im looking at you *lol*), not too short, not a song I get tired of hearing....its just..., Im impressed at how much this is growing on me more and more. Its just shimmering through and through!

It will be MASSIVE to see this live! I cant wait :) Just imaging hearing Up&Up live or when it all starts with A Head Full of Dreams...wow it will be splendid :D

• Like 4