✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Stargate should just be exonerated of all charges...*lol* They´ve just been hired to do a job and they did exactly as expected/requested hehe Kinda blaming the painter for painting your house white...when you hired him to do just that haha :)

Please donate to the @SendStargateToTheMoon foundation to literally build a rocket and send Stargate to the Moon, away from Coldplay and their fans.

• Like 1

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest kmm1482
Brian Eno made an amazing job for Viva la Vida, that's the coldplay era that I miss the most!

Stargate made a good job for songs like AOAL, Birds and HFTW but Army Of One could be much better

Nearly every song on AHFOD could be much better. I really only listen to Birds, AHFOD and AOAL

Brian Eno made an amazing job for Viva la Vida, that's the coldplay era that I miss the most!

I miss him, wish he'd come back. Wish Coldplay would hire him again and realize the advantage he is over Stargate. No more ruined tracks please.

Stargate made a good job for songs like AOAL, Birds and HFTW but Army Of One could be much better

Stargate messed up big time on Up&Up. Completely ruined the studio version of the song -- haven't listened to the studio version in full yet because I know it'll be a letdown. Live version is just so much better and always replaces the studio version on my player.

Bring back Ken Nelson or Brian Eno!!! No more Stargate!!!!!!!!!

Or Jon Hopkins

Guest kmm1482
Or Jon Hopkins

I almost put him, but figured he might be better served playing on the album. Like a package deal with Eno

Guest kmm1482
I just hope that in the event an EP is released, it consists of Stargate rejects that are produced by Eno or some other good producer that has worked with the band

One can wish. I really miss b-sides. That was always Coldplay's strong suit, their new songs that accompanied a new single. Now, it's either a marketing gimmick at the end of the album or nothing at all. You could almost make a completely new album with all the b-sides with each era

Stargate messed up big time on Up&Up. Completely ruined the studio version of the song -- haven't listened to the studio version in full yet because I know it'll be a letdown. Live version is just so much better and always replaces the studio version on my player.

I personally prefer the live version to the studio version but you honestly cant say that Stargate "messed it up". I think in the discussion there is a tendency to forget that Coldplay signed off on ALL these songs as what they wanted them to sound like and thats why they are the way they are on the album. If they had been unsatisfied with Stargate job , they would have changed it.

Avicii comes to mind as an example of a production they were not happy with and tinkered with a lot before getting it right, so it would reflect more the "Coldplay" sound than the original Avicii edit. So if Up&Up is the way it is, its because thats how they wanted it. I would imagine that if what Stargate brought to the songs had been unsatisfactory, Coldplay would have certainly not continued the collaboration and finished a whole album with them as producers...

• Like 2

Guest kmm1482
Me too. Not even Noel, the master of B-sides, really makes B-sides any longer...I guess its no more viable marketing or something, which is a pity cuz I loved B-sides too by many bands.

[emoji17][emoji17]

I personally prefer the live version to the studio version but you honestly cant say that Stargate "messed it up". I think in the discussion there is a tendency to forget that Coldplay signed off on ALL these songs as what they wanted them to sound like and thats why they are the way they are on the album. If they had been unsatisfied with Stargate job , they would have changed it.

Avicii comes to mind as an example of a production they were not happy with and tinkered with a lot before getting it right, so it would reflect more the "Coldplay" sound than the original Avicii edit. So if Up&Up is the way it is, its because thats how they wanted it. I would imagine that if what Stargate brought to the songs had been unsatisfactory, Coldplay would have certainly not continued the collaboration and finished a whole album with them as producers...

Sorry, I worded it badly. This is better: Stargate messed it up, and Coldplay liked it for some reason so they put it on the album. You are right in the sense that Coldplay were fine with it so they didn't do extra work on it. Bad decision by the band, as a result they let it through onto the albums themselves technically as it was their decision. So they messed up. Not "it", but they messed up on the decision. As a result we got a studio version that has the unneccesary drum beat in the intro. piano not loud enough. Chris forgot to playing a piano after the intro part (and numerous other parts during the song) , and the singalong is missing energy because 1. the ride cymbal and real drums are missing and 2. guitar solos buried because of the production (which apparently Coldplay are fine with Stargate burying guitar solos like that for whatever reason). Anyway thats how I hear the song.

• Like 1

As a result we got a studio version that has the unneccesary drum beat in the intro. piano not loud enough. Chris forgot to playing a piano after the intro part (and numerous other parts during the song) , and the singalong is missing energy because 1. the ride cymbal and real drums are missing and 2. guitar solos buried because of the production (which apparently Coldplay are fine with Stargate burying guitar solos like that for whatever reason). Anyway thats how I hear the song.

I'm mostly fine with the production on AHFOD, just a few annoyances here and there, but I really agree with you on Up&Up. Man, could have been so much better.

Bad decision by the band, as a result they let it through onto the albums themselves technically as it was their decision. So they messed up. Not "it", but they messed up on the decision. As a result we got a studio version that has the unneccesary drum beat in the intro. piano not loud enough. Chris forgot to playing a piano after the intro part (and numerous other parts during the song) , and the singalong is missing energy because 1. the ride cymbal and real drums are missing and 2. guitar solos buried because of the production (which apparently Coldplay are fine with Stargate burying guitar solos like that for whatever reason). Anyway thats how I hear the song.

Yes I can totally understand that criticism and I must say up until recently I have shared it almost fully. But I mist admit that after my last two-three listenings I have actually begun to wonder how the album would have sounded like without Stargate providing a cohesive homogenous production throughout all the different genres. Yes Up&Up would have sounded better to my ears as the live version as a stand alone track, but would it have fit better in the album in that version? Im tending towards saying no it would not.

Im thinking of MX and how tracks like PoC stood in stark contrast to say Major Minus. They are both excellent songs to my ears but the fact that we have PoC, MM and songs like UATW in the same album (sounding so different) makes MX an interesting experiment but inevitably incohesive sound-wise (MX balances this out by having a common lyrical theme throughout actually which tie the songs together in other ways).

AHFOD instead actually sounds like an homogenous body of work to my ears, where songs like Everglow and Hymn and title track can play after each other and you still dont feel like its a huge change in soundscape. This cohesiveness I believe is due to Stargate production, which ties all songs together so they dont sound like a collection of songs but a homogenous album.

Despite not being a great fan of this kind of production, I think it served its purpose in making AHFOD, with its diverse sounds, a "proper" album.

• Like 1

Sorry, I worded it badly. This is better: Stargate messed it up, and Coldplay liked it for some reason so they put it on the album. You are right in the sense that Coldplay were fine with it so they didn't do extra work on it. Bad decision by the band, as a result they let it through onto the albums themselves technically as it was their decision. So they messed up. Not "it", but they messed up on the decision.

Great distinction. I think this nicely bridges the gap between the people who voice that Stargate is 100% to blame and the people who voice that the blame is split 50-50. In the eyes of a lot of fans, both the producers and the band messed up.

I'm not sure the reasoning would be that the band didn't want to do "extra work," as they've always been pretty hard-working guys :thinking: