✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

Guest kmm1482
Not if you're writing the same thing 'over and over' again :)

I mean, there's no 'law' about it, it's just everyone gets it. And this is not directed at any one person, just answering your question, I ran away. :)

I think if the reply post is completely relevant to the original post, then all replies are valid, whether they're good or bad

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it's because reading positive comments makes people happy, while negative comments... well not so much. Negative comments about the band can start arguments or fights in a thread and make it dark and gloomy. Now I'm not saying that people shouldn't write any negative comments but that reading people praise the same thing over and over again is to many people less annoying than reading people complain about the same thing over and over again :)

I'm really sorry if I sounded even a bit rude to anyone, I tried to put it as kindly as possible, not sure if I succeeded :D

Well but "positive comments make people happy" is not really a valid argument for me. Things should be discussed; this is what a forum is for.

Praise for Coldplay or how people absolutely adore their newest songs is to be read over and over and over again, and yet nobody ever complains about it (which is right - but it's okay to voice opinions in both directions).

Fandom does not mean being uncritical, it means seeing the good sides and the bad sides and still caring about the band and appreciating their role in your life.

• Like 2

Well but "positive comments make people happy" is not really a valid argument for me. Things should be discussed; this is what a forum is for.

Praise for Coldplay or how people absolutely adore their newest songs is to be read over and over and over again, and yet nobody ever complains about it (which is right - but it's okay to voice opinions in both directions).

Fandom does not mean being uncritical, it means seeing the good sides and the bad sides and still caring about the band and appreciating their role in your life.

Yes I agree. I didn't try to say that negative things shouldn't be said. Just that it might be a reason to why some people don't really like negative posts :)

I don't know others but I came here to be among other people who are crazy about Coldplay and with whom I can geek about the smallest details I like in the songs and in the band. I come here precisely because I can reiterate how much I love this and that and actually find people who relate without thinking I'm Coldplay obnoxious like my friends rightly would hehe

If I wanted to be inundated with Coldplay criticism and bashing lets just say a Coldplay fan forum is the not the first place that would pop in my mind hehe

I totally understand some of the fandom is divided and so the people who feel they want to gather around their shared disappointment about the new work can do so (not being sarcastic here in the least, I think it's absolutely a legitimate right and need) and I'm happy they do in the Oldplayers thread so their comments are relatable to others.

I have mentioned a few times I'm not so crazy about Parachutes but I certainly would not bash it or tear it apart or just write in detail how awful or terrible it is and how the band are complete morons (even if I did mean it) because I think it'd be very rude and disrespectful to the many people who love this album to bits. I must say I have not always found this respect to be mutual.

So imo dissent, criticism, disappointment all has its place in a fan forum like this but reiterated bashing is the exact opposite of what a fan forum should be imo: a place where people who love the band can feel comfortable and safe in being well....fans :) I have read more a comment here of people not feeling "safe" to say they like this or that. This should be completely not happening in a fan forum of all places!

Anyway my two cents on this.

• Like 3

Oh yeah ? I feel equally unsafe to say I don't like something about current Coldplay....

Everyone should feel safe but everyone should also be respectful. Writing that above I was more thinking of several posts from people who were nearly terrified to say they liked "x marks the spot". People who perhaps changed their mind about it.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I'm don't remember you having been attacked for not liking something? Like I said I may be wrong. I don't see you as a basher at all btw. I remember your posts as respectful. Going purely by memory I find that most vitriol has come from people not liking the new stuff and then after quite some time of hearing the bashing some people responded cuz they got tired of it.

My hope would be that we can all exchange comments without being disrespectful of what others love.

• Like 1

Now correct me if I'm wrong but I'm don't remember you having been attacked for not liking something?

Well several times when I or other "Oldplayers" posted comments that were negative on Coldplay's recent output in areas like the LP7 thread, a bunch of people told us off for not liking the band, told us to go somewhere else, asked why were even on the Coldplaying forum if we don't like Coldplay, called ous "music nazis" and stuff like that....I can remember one particular bad instance when an Oldplayer (I think it was @nvdmm) got "followed" into the Oldplaying thread by some posters who mocked his opinions. I know there have been transgressions from both sides and it's very sad to see. Make no mistake, I condemn rude and offensive transgressions regardless which side they came from.

I think we should discuss freely as long as the discussion remains at best friendly, at the very least civil.

• Like 2

Well several times when I or other "Oldplayers" posted comments that were negative on Coldplay's recent output in areas like the LP7 thread, a bunch of people told us off for not liking the band, told us to go somewhere else, asked why were even on the Coldplaying forum if we don't like Coldplay, called ous "music nazis" and stuff like that....I can remember one particular bad instance when an Oldplayer (I think it was @nvdmm) got "followed" into the Oldplaying thread by some posters who mocked his opinions. I know there have been transgressions from both sides and it's very sad to see. Make no mistake, I condemn rude and offensive transgressions regardless which side they came from.

I think we should discuss freely as long as the discussion remains at best friendly, at the very least civil.

The user you mention I remember as not being shy of well...putting his criticism in very strong terms (using euphemisms here LOL). That is bound to get some people upset. There is a difference between saying "I don't like a song" and "this song is utter rubbish, disgusting,etc...". The latter is way more radical and extreme, hence there is no surprise that it would receive a more extreme reception.

Also I think my overall impression is (I may be wrong here) that Oldplayers are very very unlikely to say anything but criticism about anything after Viva, while other Coldplayers tend to have a preference for some songs over others and like the new stuff more but are not having the same attitude towards older albums as Oldplayers do with newer albums. This I think also contributes to some people saying that the negative comments are redundant and repeated.

My take is that the bashing started from Oldplayers towards Newplayers (ahh all these monickers LOL) and then received a backlash. It did not start with a bashing of Parachutes or A Rush....all Im saying is that when the words used are extreme and people´s own taste in music is mocked , its not surprising that a backlash will occur eventually as the ones you quoted.

I honestly would wish there were no Oldplayers Newplayers thread, or at least if there are that they would just be as a discussion for specific albums, not as a place to bash everything else...Like you said we don't need anything rude of offensive: I wish we cud all feel free to criticise and praise in the same space without offending each other. But this has not been the case yet....

Guest kmm1482

I agree. Neither myself, you I Ran Away, nor others we both know have ever gone overly critical and bashed the band as harshly as the mainstream media does. I don't consider myself a "music nazi" and gleefully put people down for their like of this album. On the flip side,I have never told anyone "if you don't like the album, get off this thread!" "Why do you hate Coldplay?!" "Stop being so negative(positive)!" I hear lots of "I love this album! I love this album! It's awesome! It's awesome!" Which is good. Then when a subject of the old days and how good that music was, and I put in my two cents on the comment, it's "Ugh! This again?? We hear it over and over. Go away!"

I agree. Neither myself, you I Ran Away, nor others we both know have ever gone overly critical and bashed the band as harshly as the mainstream media does. I don't consider myself a "music nazi" and gleefully put people down for their like of this album. On the flip side,I have never told anyone "if you don't like the album, get off this thread!" "Why do you hate Coldplay?!" "Stop being so negative(positive)!" I hear lots of "I love this album! I love this album! It's awesome! It's awesome!" Which is good. Then when a subject of the old days and how good that music was, and I put in my two cents on the comment, it's "Ugh! This again?? We hear it over and over. Go away!"

Both may have happened I don't know, though I believe it is the choice of words that really make a difference . I think there will always be SOME tensions when there is a part of the fandom that is so clearly divided and yes both sides can be enthusiastic about their statements.

However my opinion is that there is no excuse for lack of respect (and that goes especially when judging someone personally for their musical taste, no matter what that may be or of course when using rude words and comments) but I also think, and I speak personally here people are free to disagree, people in general come to a fan forum to celebrate the band and its work, because its a good space to share with like-minded individuals. Too much/aggressive criticism on a fan forum is bound to be seen as odd...then its perhaps a Coldplay forum, not a Coldplay fan forum?

What I mean is that if I post "God I love Hymn for the weekend!" on any general forum online I know what to expect...if Im lucky equal criticism and praise, but on a specific Coldplay fan forum I mostly expect people to like the material Im posting about, otherwise it would not be a "fan" forum and they would not actively post?

But yeah some tensions will always be there, so either we all learn not to be rude and be respectful or I don't know how else we are all going to share the same space :)

just to put my two cents, this whole discussion becomes a moot point when some people go patronizing/mocking another group of people for liking coldplay's newer output and calling them beliebers and laughing at them. i've seen some users enjoying feeling superior that others, more than i liked to see. to me, that's the biggest problem, although it is multifaceted.

just to put my two cents, this whole discussion becomes a moot point when some people go patronizing/mocking another group of people for liking coldplay's newer output and calling them beliebers and laughing at them. i've seen some users enjoying feeling superior that others, more than i liked to see. to me, that's the biggest problem, although it is multifaceted.

I agree with your impression. Thats mine as well from the few months I´ve been here.

Thats a lovely beard. I had not seen Chris with a beard before...I think he should grow one on par with his fellow members hehe :disguise:

Haha I know right. That was back in 2009 at the NRJ Awards if I am remembering correctly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1. Jumping around grabbing crotch.

What? Michael Jackson will feature in the Super Bowl? But...*lol*

I never once saw Chris grab his crotch, though if anyone has photographic proof Im more than ready to be proven wrong. haha

And I love colours :D I won't be cringing, I may be dancing though haha

• Like 3

Guest kmm1482

I don't think it's so much a crotch grab, as it is he likes to put puts his wrist on the inside of his crotch. I've seen him do it a lot

I don't think it's so much a crotch grab, as it is he likes to put puts his wrist on the inside of his crotch. I've seen him do it a lot

To his defence and in total honesty my hand also often goes in that direction when I dance and sing certain songs...I have no idea why! Its totally not on purpose but it just happens. *lol*