✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought I'd come back to post a few of my thoughts on this album after listening again tonight...

Not sure what the common opinion is of Coldplayers, but this album honestly sucks. I'm their biggest fan, and I still am, but I can't defend AHFOD. Everglow and HFTW are the 2 worst songs they have released, and I genuinely can't believe they did release them. they are hideous songs! I suppose the success gets to everyone eventually, feels like they've really sold out this time, I loved all their other work.

Birds and Amazing Day are the only parts I like. It's a shame because Coldplay are in my opinion the greatest music act ever, by far.

• Like 4

People bashed Ghost Stories when it first came out. Now we all miss that era. History repeats itself i guess

This is hopefully true for AHFOD, but alas. I was one of those GS bashers when it was released, but after a few months it quickly became one of my favorite albums front to back. Almost every song, barring ASFOS, grew on me to the point where I simply loved them all.

The problem is that AHFOD has been with us for two months now, and frankly my feelings have gone from "this is pretty good" to "skip...skip...meh...skip..." I pretty much only revisit Birds, AOAL, AD, and Up&Up... Which is really depressing for me. It is the first Coldplay album I can say feels just fine but not special.

So I don't think this album will grow on me. If they can release a solid EP or a few B-sides my mind might grow fonder of this era, but so far we have an okay album with three decent music videos.

Dare I say, this album might be one of Coldplay's most forgettable if they produce more, which I pray they do...It is time for them to "pull a Viva" again and shift their sound. AHFOD feels like the pop element of their music wore thin...none of the singles made it big in the charts or are getting airplay where I live. They need to strip back their production and go simple I think, or maybe return to their roots a bit.

meh I'm still enjoying the album and still think that it's one of their best .. I'm in love with Amazing Day , Birds , AOAL , Fun

i can listen to the whole album without skipping any song well except XMTS

anyway i hope we all get to enjoy the tour

The tour is gonna be awesome !!! As always.
  • Like 1

This is hopefully true for AHFOD, but alas. I was one of those GS bashers when it was released, but after a few months it quickly became one of my favorite albums front to back. Almost every song, barring ASFOS, grew on me to the point where I simply loved them all.

The problem is that AHFOD has been with us for two months now, and frankly my feelings have gone from "this is pretty good" to "skip...skip...meh...skip..." I pretty much only revisit Birds, AOAL, AD, and Up&Up... Which is really depressing for me. It is the first Coldplay album I can say feels just fine but not special.

So I don't think this album will grow on me. If they can release a solid EP or a few B-sides my mind might grow fonder of this era, but so far we have an okay album with three decent music videos.

Dare I say, this album might be one of Coldplay's most forgettable if they produce more, which I pray they do...It is time for them to "pull a Viva" again and shift their sound. AHFOD feels like the pop element of their music wore thin...none of the singles made it big in the charts or are getting airplay where I live. They need to strip back their production and go simple I think, or maybe return to their roots a bit.

Very well written even though my feelings on AHFOD are different than yours. Personally I really like AHFOD except Army of One and XMTS. Even HFTW I sort of like even though it is super mainstream. That said I definetely prefer Coldplay's older content, and unlike any album done before this actually has a downside to it: it drags on and on and on. AHFOD starts it off with energy. Birds is universally loved to bits, HFTW while mainstream is quite enjoyable and catchy in a good way for me anyways, and stands out a little bit because it is more complex than most mainstream songs at least, Everglow is no Scientist but it is a nice little pop ballad, AOAL is controversial but I personally enjoy it, although it sounds a little mainstream, it is a very good song for me, but after this the album drags on a ton. After Everglow it becomes more boring and more boring and more boring, then the Army of One drumbeat wakes it up a little but overall that one is super boring and forgettable TBH and makes it worse. XMTS is just... forgettable lol. Then AD comes and COMPLETELY saves the day. Nice little opening to it to clear things up and balance things out after the "stuff" that came before it. Then the soaring chorus comes after it and completely wakes the album up. I adore this. It sends shivers down your spine and makes everything better especially with the nice and rich productiomn it has. It brings some life to the album and essentially saves it from being Coldplay's most forgettable drag on piece of work ever. It wakes you up from your sleep.... really I almost fell asleep during my first listen and it actually helped a ton to clear things up. Then you get to Up&Up. Horribly produced, wonderfully written song underneath though. Great closer as always from Coldplay. (I replaced mine with the live version, live version is pretty much a masterpiece).

I particularily want to make a comment on this:

"AHFOD feels like the pop element of their music wore thin..."

I completely agree. They did wonderfully in Mylo, yet starting with GS their music started to feel a little hollow. Of course there were exceptions, but the synthpop setup and the clean short-y production on it just took away some of the depth that I'm looking for to really enjoy those songs. The lyrics and songwriting on the first four especially aren't neccessarily top-notch either.Mostly it's those four and Another's Arms that are what everyone thinks of when they say that GS isn't good. (And ASFOS for most, although I like that one) I just think it felt a little hollow. AHFOD continued this trend, their older music just sounds so rich with those organic sounds and the production it has, now with the clean pop-production, combined with more poppy and mainstream songs, and electronic drumbeats and loops and stuff rather than organic real ones, it all just combines to make a more of a hollow sound which I don't prefer. If it had more organic instrumentaion, more attention-catching drumbeats and melodies, better songwriting and lyrics in general, and more of an Oldplay style production, I would be much happier with the album. I already am, it's just that the musical choices Coldplay are making aren't the greatest, and especially what Chris chooses to listen to nowadays I feel has a very negative impact on all of these things as compared to back before. These little deficincies (however you spell it :P) can be corrected and Coldplay can go back to making true masterpieces again.

I agree with you, they need to have a Viva moment sometime in the future and do a change of direction. Ambient maybe? Ambient-rock even? That would be awesome, and prove that Coldplay still have true artistic integrity and are never scared and always willing to try new rhings. Look it up, it's an amazing genre, a cross between the cool electronic sounds of Ambient and the more rock style. Or, they can choose to go back to their roots as well. However I'd love to see even more variety than Coldplay now rather than something they've already done before. Although I'd love for them to go back to their roots. That's never going to happen however, because for one they never do the same things twice, and now I just feel like they've lost some of their songwriting abilities as well. I could be wrong however. Also Chris voice is so strained from all these world stadium tours that now it's just not as good. Still forever better than mine, but now it's just strained, worse than before, and even if he tried the songs just wouldn't be as good because of that. For example. Fix You, he just can't sing it as well anymore, he recorded that when he still had his "best" voice. It can still be good, but for example Everglow shows just how damaged his vocals are. It's so sad and unfortunate to see that as he grows older and does more of these tours, his vocals are only getting worse. :( This tour is just going to make it worse, it'll be even more strained and damaged... :(

But this is definetely the last world tour and last "pop" album they're doing. May as well enjoy it because there's only one more of it! :D There's no way that past 40 they're going to act like 20 years old and do more pop albums and stadium tours like they're still young. Just not happening. I find it weird that as Chris growed older he acted younger... he quite literally actually made more mature content back in his younger years, now he's singing about Feeling drunk and high and you make my heart ba boom ba boom boom and I feel my heart beat beneath my skin to make me feel alive again and that I've always wanted to feel this way, amazing day, amazing Day! It's not that that's bad, it's just a little funny thing I noticed. It also sucked to see them say that they feel that rock music has been done. It's kind of true in a way and I understand the want to do something new but I'd still really like to see them go back to their roots at some point even though I know it won't happen and even if it did the content wouldn't be as good.

I know this is a long post but hopefully you read it. :P

• Like 3

^Well put! I really agree with you, and in terms of AHFOD, it is an album that really depends on the day for me. There have been times where I have enjoyed it all the way through. I am really glad most Coldplayer's like it and maybe in a year I will change my mind again.

And yes, the fact that music has sounded less organic (largely due to production) is the biggest villain for me at this point..and we all know that the band is still very capable of writing some amazing tunes. Ambient Rock would be a dream come true since I think all of the boys have such an ear for beautiful atmospheres--one of their strongest suits on their most gorgeous tracks.

Indeed, they are getting old, and Chris' voice live sometimes faulters. It is fantastic on most the album though...I think he needs to go back to doing a lower-mid range with a few signature falsettos, much like the first two albums and Viva. But who knows. It is hard to say, and this is a hard time to want to stay following Coldplay since they have reached an age where the music may not be as pure or the fan involvement is not as fun. Another album though could really turn that around--and if I finally get to see them on tour!! :flutterby: (WHEN IS THAT NORTH AMERICAN TOUR GOING TO BE EXTENDED?)

• Like 1

(WHEN IS THAT NORTH AMERICAN TOUR GOING TO BE EXTENDED?)

IKR, hoping for them to at least come to Canada! Preferably at least coming to Vancouver at the furthest, Toronto is to far although that's most likely the one that will happen. (Although there's a chance that Vancouver could happen to...) Although Edmonton would be a dream come true, that's the closest major city to me that they'd actually have a chance to play in so ya. Happened before.

• Like 1

IKR, hoping for them to at least come to Canada! Preferably at least coming to Vancouver at the furthest, Toronto is to far although that's most likely the one that will happen. (Although there's a chance that Vancouver could happen to...) Although Edmonton would be a dream come true, that's the closest major city to me that they'd actually have a chance to play in so ya. Happened before.

Theres also the chance that theyre gonna come back nxt year

• Like 1

Anyone think that this direction isn't helping them advance? Think about it, the BRITS performance was great, but Chris' vocals sounded a bit off. Compare it to Charlie Brown back in 2012, same idea, similar styled album, and his vocals were up to scratch. To be honest, the more he jumps around and wears himself out, the more he gets tired and unprepared for a good vocal performance. But hey, I guess that happens to everyone right?

And also, Chris needs to stop trying to be EXTREMELY humble all the time. Sure it's fine to be humble (Viva, MX, all the albums) I mean praising everyone, that's what he does. So much to the point where he lets the other so called 'artists' (Bey, Bruno, Mr Sykes) steal his spotlight and also make him look so small/like an idiot. If you seen that BRITS speech, you will notice he KEEPS mentioning One Direction and bands like that, and in interviews he says he listens to popular (untalented) pop music. If he keeps up like this, it may shape his music taste and his style. Just remember, if the request segment of the live shows isn't true, then it looks like he doesn't want to listen to lots of old music, or more likely, not want to play the band's old material.

Luckily, I believe this isn't true and that after one last jump around with AHFOD, the band will go back to their roots and produce another masterpiece.

If they don't, well that will be a shame. Because let's face it, a lot of the crappy mainstream is affecting talented artists everywhere, luckily some people in that Top 40/Hot 100 chart have a good idea what actual music is (twenty one pilots, The 1975, AOAL)

But I feel as if Coldplay are ignoring those songs and wanting to sound more mainstream, then I might consider moving their newer material off my playlists (except AHFOD (song), AOAL, Birds and the interludes)

Please Coldplay, come home:D

• Like 3

^ Very well said!

If he keeps up like this, it may shape his music taste and his style.

It already has :( The newer albums are poppier than the Oldplay...

But I guess he's bringing up those bands more than ever now. If he keeps this up, the bands music will keep degrading unfortuantely if they don't take a hiatus and take a look at what they've done. I don't believe they'll go all the way pop and I still believe they'll still have some rock in them like today with AHFOD but if it keeps up and they don't take a break it'll get worse. And if it isn't in the form of jumping around and dancing it'll be the normal pop you hear today which isn't that dancey anymore to be honest. It sort of it, but not on Coldplay's "pop" level. The reason I sort of enjoy the new content even though it's pop is because it's celebratory, upbeat, which I believe makes pop better. If it's the "normal pop", unless it's done right, it's going to sound like trash like many of the songs you hear on the radio today. However, if it's the other end of the scale, deep and dark, like GS, it can also lead to acceptable results. Even though GS is my least favorite album I still enjoy it, even at night. The general atmosphere is perhaps what I like most about this album. Cool and dark style music. Of course some of it is in the form of pop but for example Magic or Ink fit in the category of the "better" pop songs IMO. (Ink has a good melody, that's mostly why I like it even though I admit it is a little too poppy)

This is just my view on the whole thing...

• Like 2