✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished the first listen. Taking it to the car for listen two. Feeling mixed at the moment.

I do think it's pretty awesome that the band that was supposed to "save" rock in the early 00's has retreated to a new wave/synth rock sound, which (along with disco) sort of "ruined" rock for a lot of people in the 80s.

Just finished the first listen. Taking it to the car for listen two. Feeling mixed at the moment.

I do think it's pretty awesome that the band that was supposed to "save" rock in the early 00's has retreated to a new wave/synth rock sound, which (along with disco) sort of "ruined" rock for a lot of people in the 80s.

This is exactly how I feel, except maybe replacing the word "awesome" with "...interesting."

Well so this is how they're handling the leak...you can listen on their website now: http://new.thestrokes.com/featured/listen-to-angles-here

It's rumored that the leak was intentional in the first place. This morning I thought that was utter crap based on no evidence at all (even though I know that does happen quite often), but the more I hear the more I think it may be true.

OK, I like the album art inside the cover MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the outside cover:

257757868.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1300121312&Signature=PsmVpItVTUOdkVCLRng5cCfK5Lw%3D

I'm sorry, but Nikolai is the definition of BAMF.

He so is! ;)

Well so this is how they're handling the leak...you can listen on their website now: http://new.thestrokes.com/featured/listen-to-angles-here

It's rumored that the leak was intentional in the first place. This morning I thought that was utter crap based on no evidence at all (even though I know that does happen quite often), but the more I hear the more I think it may be true.

It makes sense to me. Especially since they're playing a couple of shows before the official release. They want people to know the new songs in case they want to play some of them.

Yeah, it was 8PM GMT yesterday.

And I agree that it makes sense that it was intentional, it was just the way the rumors were presented that made me automatically disbelieve it this morning. You know how fricking ridiculous some of the Strokes fangirls are (so much crazier than Coldplay fangirls): "OMGZ WHAT IF JULIAN HIMSELF LEAKED IT?!?!?!" There was a lot of that going around, til I learned a few hours ago that that might actually have *some* backing. I still don't know what to believe, however, and I don't really care. I guess I just allow myself to be curious about who and why because this is what I want to do for a career and I like to know all the inner workings :wacky:.

The Strokes' site is also now streaming it, meaning they were probably just waiting for the inevitable leak so that they could put the stream it and curb attention away from download temptation, which more and more artists have started to do after leaks. It's difficult to anticipate when a leak will happen, but you know it will happen at one point.

Edit: Hmm...conspiracy theories? Interesting. Whatever.

i can see why it would've been done intentionally. it is only 4 days before the official release so it was a perfect opportunity to drum up some extra hype around the album which has been getting mixed reviews in the build up. and everyone knows, a leak is the best thing that can happen for an album. if i wrote an album and nobody leaked it i would feel a little offended. lol

Wrote an entire review but accidentally exited the page. Awesome.

Basically...I really love the album. Julian's vocals are incredible and they fit the songs perfectly. Guitars, bass, and drums are all great. Only two weak songs to me (Gratisfaction and Call Me Back); the rest are ace. Finishes brilliantly with one of the best tracks. 8.5/10 for the first listen.

New goal in life: Seeing The Strokes live.

Shorter than The King Of Limbs! Although it feels longer because there are more tracks.

Yeah, it was 8PM GMT yesterday.

And I agree that it makes sense that it was intentional, it was just the way the rumors were presented that made me automatically disbelieve it this morning. You know how fricking ridiculous some of the Strokes fangirls are (so much crazier than Coldplay fangirls): "OMGZ WHAT IF JULIAN HIMSELF LEAKED IT?!?!?!" There was a lot of that going around, til I learned a few hours ago that that might actually have *some* backing. I still don't know what to believe, however, and I don't really care. I guess I just allow myself to be curious about who and why because this is what I want to do for a career and I like to know all the inner workings :wacky:.

Didn't someone actually say that Amanda might have done it? :sick:

Wrote an entire review but accidentally exited the page. Awesome.

Basically...I really love the album. Julian's vocals are incredible and they fit the songs perfectly. Guitars, bass, and drums are all great. Only two weak songs to me (Gratisfaction and Call Me Back); the rest are ace. Finishes brilliantly with one of the best tracks. 8.5/10 for the first listen.

New goal in life: Seeing The Strokes live.

Shorter than The King Of Limbs! Although it feels longer because there are more tracks.

This is good news to me. I love short albums.

A lot of people were saying it was Amanda's fault, that she like was passing it out to everyone she knew and that's how it must have gotten out. I wanted to knife someone at that because it was so baseless, so I automatically wrote off the Julian thing as well. I still don't believe it, but there's a source on that? I don't know. Or technically care.

Whatever my overall feelings are about this album, the first two tracks are complete gold.

Surely it's not just me hearing this.

Track 3, 'Two Kinds Of Happiness' sounds VERY much like U2 in everything but the guitar instrumentals. I'ts an odd inspiration. But every time I listen to Angles again I hear bits of inspiration I never found in the other albums. It's made for a very diverse album, which I love.

Surely it's not just me hearing this.

Track 3, 'Two Kinds Of Happiness' sounds VERY much like U2 in everything but the guitar instrumentals. I'ts an odd inspiration. But every time I listen to Angles again I hear bits of inspiration I never found in the other albums. It's made for a very diverse album, which I love.

This was originally meant to be in a spoiler because I ramble, sorry.

There are definitely new influences, I think. It's just interesting, because obviously their old stuff had very strong influences as well. Back in the early 2000s, a journalist once praised Julian for "digesting his influences well," which I think is so true of the first and second albums especially. It's like you've heard it before, or that it's directly out of the past, but you can't pin what you're hearing on any one band or any one song (OK, except for the "Last Nite" intro).

Angles is different to me in the sense that I feel like the influences and "rip-offs," for lack of a better, more fair term, are much more in-your-face. "Two Kinds of Happiness" is The Cars (I don't see the U2 so much, but I see what you're getting at), "You're So Right" is very Radiohead to me, "Gratisfaction" is basically 50% "Reelin' in the Years" by Steely Dan and 50% "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy, "Call Me Back" has strong Radiohead ("Talk Show Host"), Phoenix ("Rome"), and Beatles ("Sun King") vibes. People are mentioning a specific Michael Jackson similarity from one specific song of his on "Machu Picchu," but I'm not as familiar with his stuff as to say for myself, and I feel like there's another similarity I can't put my finger on that's nagging me. "Metabolism" also sounds very Phrazes for the Young, or at least like it's trying to.

Anyway, I don't know if I mean that positively or negatively, it's just something that's been buzzing around my head. I feel like I've heard a lot of it before, I guess. "UCOD," "Taken for a Fool," and "Life is Simple..." are the most digested, I'd say.

Yeah, I've gotten that from one other person too, but it's what I immediately think of every time I play that song. :shrug:, I meant that all to just be from my opinion anyway, from what things sound like to me. I hate when people make definitive calls and say "this is what it sounds like." It's just what I hear, I guess.

I also meant all that to be in a spoiler since it's long and give-away-y, so I'm going to spoiler it now. Sorry :\