✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I've only listened to it twice because I've decided to just wait for the album version, but I feel like this could be Angles' version of "Under Control", which is really great. I love that it's slowed down and sounds kind of lazy.

My take:

I love, love, love the choruses and lead guitar parts of both new songs. I think they are so classic Strokes while still being fresh, and I think Nick has utterly proven himself to be a strong songwriter when he's really the only one we'd never heard much from before. However, with both "Machu Picchu" and "Taken For a Fool," I think the verses don't really match up as much in quality and actually sound kind of similar to each other (and to the verse in the 30-second preview of "Two Kinds of Happiness," actually). The choruses are smooth and classic, but the verses are kind of jerky and jumpy and 80s and don't seem to match to me, but it's not like I hate them, either. Not even close. I think I might like "Machu Picchu" marginally better than "Taken for a Fool," which surprises the hell out of me, but it's just so damn catchy and has such a vibe...and Julian's high voice at the end absolutely kills me.

I really like "Life is Simple in the Moonlight" as well, but I want to hear it on record before I make a judgement call. As much as I like leaks, I like official album leaks, not live leaks so much. However, "You're So Right" has grown on me by about a mile in the past few weeks :D.

TEN DAYS :bomb:

I've listened to all four of the songs released so far (Macchu Pichu, LiSitM, UCoD, TfaF) and I'm expecting this album to be their best yet. All of those songs are at least an 8 or 9 out of 10 for me. I'm beyond hyped for this album.

I like Macchu Pichu now, I think it has some great vibe, don't know how to explain it. Taken for a fool is like the old Strokes stuff so it's great and I really love UCoD. Not sure about LiSitM because I'm can't judge it based on a live version (I mean UCoD didn't sound that good on SNL). I also think this album will be great, can't wait

I...have no words.

Or I have a lot of them, but I don't want to say them just yet, I think. I usually don't allow myself to think of my impressions of an album for the first month or two as permanent, but I usually post a temporary opinion a few days after first listens.

I guess all I can say for now is that my opinion is overall a positive one, but I'm still kind of having a hard time believing this is a Strokes album.

for me it was a 7.5/10 the first time and 8/10 the second time. I think I'll like this album more with a few more listens but still, I think it's a great album.

I have to say the guitars are one of my favorite things about Angles

Downloaded earlier but had to run out unexpectedly for about an hour. Back now and ready to dive in for the first time. Let's do this.

(Also, SNL is historically poor for artists being able to show off their best talent. Most of the time, it's just for mainstream exposure.)

OK, my mind was just blown--in NME, Julian said about Games: "the part at the end of the song is so old, we've had it for about 10 years at least."

Yeah, it's "Unknown Song 1." From 2000.

I KNEW IT SOUNDED FAMILIAR WHEN I HEARD IT.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmlykTRihu4]YouTube - The Strokes Unknown song[/ame]

Brain exploded.

Wow, first listen really went by in a flash, but I guess that beats the dragged-on nature of FIOE (which I still don't think is a BAD album, but features filler). I wasn't paying enough attention to know that "Life is Simple in the Moonlight" was the final track so I was caught a bit off-guard when my iTunes went to the next artist. Future listens will require further attention, but after one pass through, it seemed like for every track that felt like traditional Strokes, there was another track that was more risky. Probably a good route to take after 5 years of absence.

OK, my mind was just blown--in NME, Julian said about Games: "the part at the end of the song is so old, we've had it for about 10 years at least."

Yeah, it's "Unknown Song 1." From 2000.

I KNEW IT SOUNDED FAMILIAR WHEN I HEARD IT.

Brain exploded.

Oh my god :o

Now I'm even more excited.

Gahhhh I can't wait until Tuesday when I'll be inserting the CD into my fancy little sound system to listen for the first time :wacky:

waiting for an official release is so haaaaard :cry:

Before you get too excited, it's not overly apparent--you really have to pick out the similarities, but the first time I heard it I knew I'd heard a bit of it before, and then someone pointed it out on Twitter and you could have knocked me over with a feather.

I got into my first Angles argument today---with my mother. Even though I said I wasn't going to advertise my thoughts for awhile. Oh boy.