✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[18-SEP-2015] Coldplay iHeartRadio Music Festival, Las Vegas

Yes, it's too bad the band never seems to ask themselves "What do our fans really want to hear" ? I sometimes wonder if they are even aware of how many fans they have alienated with their new direction in 2011 (but then they also gained many new ones who like exactly that new stuff and not their older work...so it's difficult. Thy should once in a while remember that it was not the ASFOS crowd that made them as big as they are, though. I can somewhat understand your bitterness, nvdmm. Still, discussing is always fun, at least to me. See you in the Oldplaying thread !

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things about that night. The producers were keeping almost a stopwatch on all the performances and Chris mentioned after Clocks the set was too short. So with VLV, Chris didn't do his usual acrobatics or let the chant occur. If I remember correctly, he ended it by turning and heading to keyboard. In fact, I remember wondering if he was a little jet lagged still from India trip. Another big factor, I think, is that the show was moving acts on and off stage at a pretty good clip and I don't think the lineup was well known so people were arriving a little late. (And of course not all were there to see Kanye) A couple of girls next to me thought CP was coming on later and they were super excited to see them. People around me were singing and dancing to the songs and my pics, like the one I posted, show crowd engaged. I remember watching fest last time they were there and thinking I wouldn't want to go because it looked so "Vegas" but I did enjoy it a lot. Different vibe inside than on livestream, I am sure.

And another correction: Chris made the comment about set being too short after Paradise. I remember thinking other acts had longer sets, like Lil Wayne. I thought he went too long and wished CP had had time for another song.

Really ? I thought he said "my trousers are too short", that's what someone posted here. I'm not sure myself because I didn't hear it very well.

rblack721, your quote's in red.

gjohnson, your quote's in blue.

I ran away, your quote's in gold.

I still think they were planning to do a new song--the set and the new clothes--but the special guest (Rihanna?) was featured in the song and didn't show up. That would explain a lot.

That notion that there was a special guest came from the hosts, so I'm not sure about the validity of that one. Nothing was really confirmed by Coldplay so we might never know if there actually was supposed to be a special guest. But you could be right. If there was actually supposed to be a special guest and they never showed up that could explain Chris' odd off-ness during the performance.

But really it's just speculation at this point. Who knows? They had all of their new AHFOD stuff with them, which means that either the special guest was supposed to be there, but didn't show up, and as a result the band didn't play a new song, or it could mean that they were just giving us some sort of preview/hints of what to expect from this new album and possibly Global Citizen. Chris seemed off that night, which could have been due to the excitement of giving us hints to the new songs by putting lyrics on his pants, or it could have been because there was technical difficulties in Viva, and some weird stuff that happened in other songs that kind of threw him off. Or, it could have legitimately been from realizing their "special guest" never showed up, therefore throwing everyone way off. The special guest that the hosts mentioned never showed up. That's either because the hosts were lying and trying to build hype, or there was actually some sort of special guest that was supposed to show up for the new song but didn't. Chris was sweating buckets. This could be due to him being nervous because he had to finish up his set really quickly and/or his timing was off from the jet lag that may or may not could have still been affecting him from India. (Which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me, because at the time of the iHeartRadio festival he's had nearly a week to get used to the North American time zones. But then again, India's nearly halfway around the world at this point and I personally haven't gone halfway around the world yet, so I don't know how it could affect you after a week). Or, it could legitimately be from him being nervous since his special guest never showed up, therefore he was very unsure of what to do when the time to play the new song came up.

All through the speculation, however, a few things remain the same and line up:

• The hosts mentioned a "special guest".
  • Coldplay takes the stage with new designs resembling what we saw from the pics in India.
  • Chris acts oddly excited and is off a lot. He seems off.
  • He was also sweating buckets.
  • When we were waiting for the big moment, the special guest the hosts mentioned never showed up, and no new song was played.

Again, it's all speculation, but those are the facts we do have. All of those things lined up... leading to no new song. Of course it could be just a coincidence, but at first it's those things that lined up to no new song that originally got me thinking something went wrong backstage. It seeps suspicious to me.

But, then again, who knows? We may never know what was supposed to happen. We might know soon. At this point, it's mostly speculation, and we're trying to make sense of why they chose not to play a new song at iHeart.

A couple of things about that night. The producers were keeping almost a stopwatch on all the performances and Chris mentioned after Paradise the set was too short. So with VLV, Chris didn't do his usual acrobatics or let the chant occur. If I remember correctly, he ended it by turning and heading to keyboard. In fact, I remember wondering if he was a little jet lagged still from India trip. Another big factor, I think, is that the show was moving acts on and off stage at a pretty

good clip and I don't think the lineup was well known so people were arriving a little late. (And of course not all were there to see Kanye) A couple of girls next to me thought CP was coming on later and they were super excited to see them. People around me were singing and dancing to the songs and my pics, like the one I posted, show crowd engaged. I remember watching fest last time they were there and thinking I wouldn't want to go because it looked so "Vegas" but I did enjoy it a lot. Different vibe inside than on livestream, I am sure.

That could definetely be it too. He might have been nervous since he had a very limited time for his and the band's performance, which would explain the excessive sweating. As for the jet lag, that could be definetely be why he seemed off a bit. That, and maybe he was oddly excited if he put those lyrics on his pants on purpose to see if any of us fans could decipher it... :P Also, according to the comments above me, he was commenting that his trousers were too short. LOL

Yes, it's too bad the band never seems to ask themselves "What do our fans really want to hear" ? I sometimes wonder if they are even aware of how many fans they have alienated with their new direction in 2011 (but then they also gained many new ones who like exactly that new stuff and not their older work...so it's difficult. Thy should once in a while remember that it was not the ASFOS crowd that made them as big as they are, though. I can somewhat understand your bitterness, nvdmm. Still, discussing is always fun, at least to me. See you in the Oldplaying thread !

I do agree, they should try to ask themselves that once in a while. What made us so big in the first place? Was it the fans from the AROBTTH era, or these new fans streaming in? They should take a look back and see what the real fans really like. Hopefully someday we can see them go back to their alt-rock ways and a lot of fans would respect them for that, but really at this point they could do virtually anything and still be big and make tons of money because they've gained so much popularity back in the old days.

This is not to put down MX/GS in any way for me at least. I love those two albums and always will. Especially MX. I love listening to their old music and new music. But there seems to be something different about their old music, there seems to be so many more great songs... and there's a nostalgic factor as well... But in my opinion, all they've tried has turned out to be great. But there's just something about their older music that I really like. Some people say it's the fact that it has a bit of a darker theme to it, and that's what they're good at, which leads me into my next point...

So far, the supposed new lyrics we've seen on Chris' pants have a bit of a darker theme to them. Which might be a sign that, although this album is colorful (which I don't mind at all, it might have a darker theme to them which they seem to specialize in. But if you've known Coldplay for a while you know that they never try the same thing twice. But the thing is, even though they did have mostly a darker theme in the old days they seemed to put different atmospheres onto each album nonetheless. They were all a darker theme, but all different kinds of darker themes. This time I don't see being any different. If it's a darker theme, then I'm sure it's something that's different, and probably one that we'll love. :)

I have A Head Full Of Dreams... and one of them is to go to a Coldplay Concert :laugh4:

[video=youtube;JrvdpZubezI]

I just laughed my sorry butt off when I saw Guy striking that stance HAHAHAHA

*edit: man these meet and greet things are so awkward, people standing there in front of Coldplay like they are some kind of trohpies.

Thanks for sharing this.

Is it me or is it Jonny getting much fatter now? I was paying attention to his belly and I went like wait a minute, he wasnt that fat back in the mx era lol

You see it only now? I have already noted since Ghost Stories. I think Jonny was a little thinner in MX era and in the begin of Ghost Stories. Here's an example: look at their performance at ''Under 1 Roof'' in December 2013. And to their last Ghost Stories concert at the BBC. I don't know if it's me, but I see a difference. I think Jonny was in the MX era and begin of Ghost Stories a bit thinner than he is now. But I have no problems with it.

And another thing.. I have also noted during Ghost Stories era that Jonny was more calm with a live performance than the MX era. For example: take a view at their performance of Paradise at 'Good Morning America' in 2012, look how wild Jonny plays his guitar solo there! And check out his guitar solo of Paradise in Ghost Stories era (last Ghost Stories concert at BBC). Do you guys see the difference!?!?