✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Worst Coldplay Songs Ever!

Sheikwonder

From the first time I heard it (that was when it leaked with other three songs before the release of the album still known as LP4) it was the only track I didn't like. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the album, too bombastic, too pompous, quite unoriginal and average, it was the first song where they took a wrong direction that led to MX, trying to have a bigger sound rather than focusing on perfectionism of the rest of their catalogue. Still has great lyrics, but it's the only good thing it has.

Being similar but waaaay different in terms of quality, Rainy Day would have been better, more balanced and inspired. Even Glass Of Water could be a great pick to replace Viva La Vida.

The best choice IMO should have been Lukas being a duet, it could have been an even bigger hit tha VLV without making them taking the wrong direction musically speaking on the forthcoming albums

I won't consider Viva la Vida as a step in the wrong direction and it being bombastic doesn't necessarily mean bad. They had used various instruments on that song which I really appreciated. Regarding MX, yes it had many flaws when it comes to production but I have to say that the band did evolved sonically... exploring synths and hip hop influences.

Guest diogo_sg
Viva la Vida is one of my favourite songs. Of course it is very far from the typical vintage Coldplay sound I love most, and Chris's vocals on it while technically faultless don't really shine out here compared to for example songs on AROBTTH or X&Y, but this brilliant, brilliant, brilliant melody, soaring instrumentation and vibe is something that you really need to come up with first !

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

I think no one will ever make a song as unique as VLV. No one!!

"I live to see the world"

Guest diogo_sg
From the first time I heard it (that was when it leaked with other three songs before the release of the album still known as LP4) it was the only track I didn't like. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the album, too bombastic, too pompous, quite unoriginal and average, it was the first song where they took a wrong direction that led to MX, trying to have a bigger sound rather than focusing on perfectionism of the rest of their catalogue. Still has great lyrics, but it's the only good thing it has.

Being similar but waaaay different in terms of quality, Rainy Day would have been better, more balanced and inspired. Even Glass Of Water could be a great pick to replace Viva La Vida.

The best choice IMO should have been Lukas being a duet, it could have been an even bigger hit tha VLV without making them taking the wrong direction musically speaking on the forthcoming albums

Well, that's your opinion, so I can't argue with that. But I can say that I disagree with you 100%!!

I'll ask you the same I asked beastwars:

You think so?!?!

It's a masterpiece imo!! A total change on their sound. Violins, bells... Fantastic!!

Its ok. But i just don't think it's as good as the rest of the songs.

Guest diogo_sg
Its ok. But i just don't think it's as good as the rest of the songs.

Well, everyone has different opinions.

Well

It's hard to say

But I gotta say

Proof

Really ? Here it goes again, the discussion :) I love Proof, the melody, the instrumentation, his falsetto. I agree the lyrics sound as if they were taken from a first-grader's school notes, but this is the only weak point of it. Liiiiiiiight and daaaaaark....

#1 Princess of China

#2 A sky full of stars

#3 Another's arms

#4 Pour me ( but my friend told me there is a good version exists)

#5 The man who swears

I think the only 3 songs which are good from Ghost Stories are: "O", "Midnight", and "Ghost Story"

Agree with you on Ghost Stories ! I'm not that hard on POC though.

I think VLV was originally going to be a more colorful album since the original track listing had Rainy Day and Glass of Water rather than their darker songs from VLV.

Guest diogo_sg
I know this isn't pertinent to the thread,but is it true that Guy Berryman is worth £30m?

I think it's true. Why?

- Shiver: I never did get the craze behind it,don't like it,sorry.

- Death And All His Friends: I think the song title is apt.It's a dirge at best...

- Trouble: Most "hardcore" fans love this song.If liking this song is what it takes to be a true fan,then i'm in trouble!

- A Whisper: It's best not to even make a fuss about it.A waste if you ask me...

- I Bloom Blaum: Almost sounds like Chris wrote this song in a state of inebriation.The less said,the better...

I disagree with every single post you have made on this thread. I also oppose the thread itself as I find it utterly meaningless and irrelevant. This is the kind of stuff you'd find on Daily Mail album reviews. If you or anyone else as an individual hates or dislikes a song it doesn't take away any credit from that particular song. It doesn't make it bad. It doesn't make it the "worst" Coldplay song. You can express critique of the music based on valid constructive points and your own musical knowledge and favored parameters, i.e. how the song is structured, the production, melody, rhythm etc. "I like this" or "I hate this" doesn't prove anything about any songs or how they're musically rated.

I disagree with every single post you have made on this thread. I also oppose the thread itself as I find it utterly meaningless and irrelevant. This is the kind of stuff you'd find on Daily Mail album reviews. If you or anyone else as an individual hates or dislikes a song it doesn't take away any credit from that particular song. It doesn't make it bad. It doesn't make it the "worst" Coldplay song. You can express critique of the music based on valid constructive points and your own musical knowledge and favored parameters, i.e. how the song is structured, the production, melody, rhythm etc. "I like this" or "I hate this" doesn't prove anything about any songs or how they're musically rated.

I think you should chill a bit.

Lol...."Things I Don't Understand' ....aka this thread....I just don't get it.[emoji30]

A song is a song is a song is a song....they are all creative expression and beautiful because music is Art....

It is only individual tastes and preferences that label it ....there is no such thing as a 'worst' song....[emoji49]

Remove the thread...[emoji135] just joking...though it does irk me every time I see it...*closes eyes to tip toe by*

Guest diogo_sg

Wow, I... agree with you, actually

Of course songs are rated by certain parameters like the structure and the complexity, but this is rather a thing a skilled and renowned music expert would do who, for example, features on a weekly magazine or whatever. The way I see it, a song doesn't find the core of its message in the headphones of such an expert who later "transforms" its quality into points or stars, but in the ears and minds of people that like it.

In all objectivity, a song can't be good or bad because there is no clear "measurement" for that. Everybody that listens to a song seeks for different values, and where one thinks a chord absolutely doesn't fit somebody else might get an eargasm from that chord; where one doesn't get anything out of a line, that line might just be the one that makes the verse "perfect" for someone else.

So, not one single opinion can make a song better or worse for everybody, and therefore also not for you. And, if you take this thought one step further, in fact there is no song that you could call "the worst" for all us fans and listeners, because for every song there is certainly at least one person that likes it and also one person that doesn't. What I mean is, a song can't be the "worst" for all of us, but definitely for SOMEone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally with you in the criticism of the thread's misleading title, but it seemed as if you would like to say that disliking a song as a fan is meaningless (as it "doesn't take away the credit" anyway) and inacceptable (as you "oppose the entire thread")- which isn't true (in my opinion).

@nvdmm:I believe you have every right to think what you want.But,the way you sound it almost feels like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

To the issues raised:I don't think the thread is "utterly meaningless" as you put it.If you took your time to read through,you'd observe that I wanted to poll the least liked songs based on public opinion.Besides,I learnt a lot from comments by many oldplayers.From disliking "Trouble" & "Shiver",I have begun to develop a soft spot for them,thanks to this "utterly meaningless" thread.

On the issue of criticism:I don't intend to take any credit away from what Coldplay have done.They are the only British group I listen to & have inspired me over time.However for every 100 songs that they sing,there's bound to be a few which one may not fancy,it's only normal.Even Chris Martin has admitted to disliking "Speed of Sound" which is a fan classic...[to be continued]

@nvdmm:To however say that I need to have "valid constructive points & your own musical knowledge & favored parameters" before I can dislike a song,on a public forum is condescending to say the least.Do I also need those "favored parameters" before I can like a song? So if I have no knowledge of "song structure,production,melody,rhythm" e.t.c I have no right to say what songs I like or don't like?

This is a forum for fans of Coldplay to come together to discuss songs,exchange ideas and critique.We are free to praise or critique any song in line with forum rules & I don't think you are in any position to say otherwise.Remember,there is no accounting for taste.If you see a thread that annoys you so much you can always report it to the mods or do what most people do,walk away...

Why did the discussion in here die ? It was such a productive thread.

Calm down everybody. I have to say that to me it was clear from the ouset that this thread is about personal opinions, and everyone of us has songs he/she personally thinks of as "the worst Coldplay songs". Nobody intended the thread to be an objective rating of Coldplay's music, and that's fine. We all know what it means to personally relate to songs.

Anyway, I recently thought of 1.36, which I also dislike. What's the others' opinion on 1.36 ?