✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Worst Coldplay Songs Ever!

Sheikwonder

Guest diogo_sg
@diogo: this one is FOR YOU. I read elsewhere that "Amsterdam" is a song that deals with drug addiction and how the addict comes close to the brink until he is saved hence the lines:

"Stuck on the end of this ball and chain,

I'm on my way back down again,

Stood on the edge,tied to a noose,

Sick to the stomach

You can say what you mean but it won't change a thing,

I'm sick of the secrets

Stood on the edge,tied to a noose

You came along and you cut me loose"

Of course,the problem with this interpretation is that it creates or adds substance to the negative stereotype of Amsterdam being the European capital of hard drugs.Why i'm not particularly convinced with the explanation that he titled the track "Amsterdam" because he wrote it there is because he has written different tracks in different cities and that is not imho,a cogent reason to title the track as such.

I heard he [Chris] wrote a hit song in Iceland once,but I'm yet to hear a track titled "Reykavjik" till date...[except I missed an album?]

I never thought the song Amsterdam was related to drugs. My interpretation of it is far different from that, tbh. And I don't mean to call you a liar, but I honestly don't think Chris would write a song about drugs.

As for the Iceland thing, I think "I Bloom Blaum" (the title) was something Chris thought he had read in a newspaper there. Later, that came out to be untrue.

"I live to see the world"

Guest diogo_sg
The one I introduced to you a few minutes ago! Sleeping Sun! :)

[emoji38] And thanks again!!

Guest diogo_sg
@Diogo: I suppose what I read then was "ONLY SUPERSTITION"... By the way,I hope you aren't Dutch or Icelandic...

I'm not. I'm portuguese. May I ask why?

Guest howyousawtheworld
@diogo & @ov3la: The question is rhetorical really...

Remember when I started this thread,the idea was to poll and find out what Coldplay songs were least liked among fans.I generally assumed that most people would tow the same line and go for similar songs.Turns out there are folks who don't like:

-A Sky Full Of Stars

-Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

-Princess Of China

-High Speed

-Charlie Brown

-Major Minus

-Ink

-O

-Magic

-A Message

-Amsterdam

-Spies

-Twisted Logic

-X&Y etc...

I'm not making this up.Just run through this thread again and check for yourself.I'm sure I missed out on a huge list of songs in fact...

Even going by some comments listed here,there seems to be a consensus that the next album will be worse,in terms of quality and lyrics,than the preceding albums.From what I gather,Coldplay has been on the "decline" since X&Y.

This bothers me because my best Coldplay songs are post the "decline",and if Oldplayers here think otherwise then that says a lot about my taste in music....

Ok. Right. Let's get this straight.

Someone said they don't like Amsterdam? I mean come on....what in the name of all that is holy.....Jesus H Christ. Your OP listing Death and All His Friends, Trouble and Shiver was bad enough but this??!

If you're going to list those songs all I have to say is...get your fucking ears cleaned out guys!

Guest diogo_sg
@diogo:well I put "X&Y" together...your defence of "Amsterdam"(dutch) and your riposte to the "Reykajvik" (iceland) comment made me think you were from one of those two countries...

Oh, I see. But no, I'm not Dutch nor Icelandic [emoji6]

Guest diogo_sg
Ok. Right. Let's get this straight.

Someone said they don't like Amsterdam? I mean come on....what in the name of all that is holy.....Jesus H Christ. Your OP listing Death and All His Friends, Trouble and Shiver was bad enough but this??!

If you're going to list those songs all I have to say is...get your fucking ears cleaned out guys!

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

@howyousawtheworld:I "SHIVERed" as I perused your reply.

There's usually a story behind many Coldplay songs that I listen to.I dislike "Death And All His Friends" because I initially planned to download "Lovers In Japan" online,but due to some error DAAHF was wrongly tagged LIJ,and I didn't really connect with it.The same mistake occurred with "Yes" which I initially thought was "Pour Me". As a result "Pour Me" & "DAAHF" are among my worst Coldplay songs.

As for "Trouble",i've already explained why I don't like it."Shiver" sounds like a long joke with no punchline-I keep listening,waiting to the end in vain,expecting that final punchline that never arrives.It's unneccessarily long and boring imo.

"Amsterdam" starts off slow but it redeems itself in the end with that cracking finale.As a result i've come to love it.However,I can understand why some peeps may not fancy it,though as you said,maybe they do need to get their ears cleaned up...

Whoa, cool down @howyousawtheworld. I love vintage Coldplay too, and in a way that I do consider every album after X&Y a decline in quality. And I disagree with the people who listed A Message, Spies and many other songs. However, Amsterdam is also among my lesser liked Coldplay songs, because despite the good lyrics, the first half of the song is melody-wise imho somewhat too slow and uninspired.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and just because I stated I don't like Amsterdam I don't need you to get an insulting tone, use the f-word and tell people to clean their ears.

Jesus... There's so many negative comments on Rihanna in POC. If you didn't know it was Rihanna singing in it, then all of you wouldn't be saying this. She doesn't make the song bad. She is a great vocalist (There are reasons on why people become famous) If Rihanna or some other pop star that aren't as bad as they seem was on Viva La Vida, then all of you would despise it. The only reason I dislike POC is because its overproduced and Chris' vocals could have been better. But, Rihanna was outstanding in POC and fit the theme perfectly.

I don't dislike POC, I just think it is average. That's not because Rihanna is featured... Coldplay needed a female singer and they found one who fits the theme. I just think the song is poorly produced. Live, the instrumentals shine through much better and the vocals don't sound artificial.

Jesus... There's so many negative comments on Rihanna in POC. If you didn't know it was Rihanna singing in it, then all of you wouldn't be saying this. She doesn't make the song bad. She is a great vocalist (There are reasons on why people become famous) If Rihanna or some other pop star that aren't as bad as they seem was on Viva La Vida, then all of you would despise it. The only reason I dislike POC is because its overproduced and Chris' vocals could have been better. But, Rihanna was outstanding in POC and fit the theme perfectly.

THANK YOU. Those are my thoughts too.

However, I do like the song. Because it's so different.

I honestly feel, from what I have read in the past of people criticizing Princess of China, that people just hate on that song in way where they go "UGH RIHANNA EW" and it seems low-key sexist to me honestly. Or at least it seems pretentious as hell. She's a fantastic vocalist. That song isn't my favorite Coldplay song but there's just a HIGH level of negativity about it over others that seems iff-y to me.

Also, it seems really basic when people strongly hate on the Coldplay songs that sound like pop. People are always condescending pop music so much. It's like they hate fun.

Seriously. It seems like every post is a variation of A Sky Full of Stars, Princess of China, Midnight and Viva La Vida.

Guest diogo_sg
Seriously people don't like Midnight!!?? Whaaat.

[smoke is rising from the houses]

Ikr