✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris has always admired contemporary pop tunes eg those from Elton John, A-Ha, etc, etc., just listen to his interviews...

You would get that impression if you listened to his interviews past 2010. Before that his admirations inclined towards Radiohead and Oasis. I'm not saying pop has no artistic merit, especially when it's Coldplay. But just nowhere near the merit their first 3 albums had, if they never released Parachutes and AROBTTH we wouldn't be having this conversation, we'd probably be enjoying AOAL for what it is, but remember this is the band who wrote AROBTTH. It can be a big dampner on enjoying AOAL when you think to yourself "This guy wrote The Scientist"

All legendary bands are populist. That's part of what makes them legendary. That's not the issue here. The issue is them being commercially driven and relevancy based because "Authentic music could sell in 2002 but now people want vapid lyrics and self-serving collaborations"

That's not doing what they want to do because they really want to make songs like Amazing Day. It's them doing it because it will keep them relevant and appeal to teenagers.

When you're as big as coldplay you don't need to make music to stay relevant. Theyre already legends. So no they arent making music to stay relevant to teens and people, they're doing it cause they love to make music.

Wow, what's with all the negativity? I'm seeing plenty of good reaction all over social media, where are those people here?

I love the SOUND of the track a lot. I can't fault it. The lyrics are a tad simplistic, but there's a ton of Coldplay songs like that that I LOVE. Can't wait for the album!

You would get that impression if you listened to his interviews past 2010. Before that his admirations inclined towards Radiohead and Oasis. I'm not saying pop has no artistic merit, especially when it's Coldplay. But just nowhere near the merit their first 3 albums had, if they never released Parachutes and AROBTTH we wouldn't be having this conversation, we'd probably be enjoying AOAL for what it is, but remember this is the band who wrote AROBTTH. It can be a big dampner on enjoying AOAL when you think to yourself "This guy wrote The Scientist"

do you really not remember how chris has mentioned groups like a-ha as a major inspiration early on their career? don't limit yourself to thinking that this is a new addition. chris said in one mx interview that the poppiest song that coldplay had ever done (up to that point) was viva, when the interviewer somewhat implied what you are saying now. chris' interest in pop was shown early on their career. remember how on some rush of blood live shows he played one or two mainstream r&b songs? either as a joke or not, he showed his interests in mainstream pop early on. he may not care what people think about what he says any more and be more outspoken now. doesn't mean that the interests were later developed.

When you're as big as coldplay you don't need to make music to stay relevant. Theyre already legends. So no they arent making music to stay relevant to teens and people, they're doing it cause they love to make music.

Totally agree!

Often people don't know what they really want until they get it. This was TOTALLY unexpected but if you open your mind and enjoy the music, guess what? IT'S PERFECT!

*shakes head in disappointment*

?

I suppose if you can't be called a hardcore fan by visiting a fan website everyday and accumulating 1100 posts you can never be.

I do remember Chris doing Kylie songs during one particular Glastonbury show, but like you said, it was a joke. He also made quips about pop acts which he thought had no merit too, was it boyzone or westlife? I can't remember.

@The Adversary post #77 - I get where you're coming from in terms of Chris' earlier lyrical work... they seemed more heart-felt / gut-wrenching, even sincere I suppose. But well, what type of clever lyrics can be written about gratefulness, and happiness and grooving / moving your feet music? Particularly when the music by the rest of the band is that festive and direct, the lyrics unfortunately have to follow as well... otherwise it would be discordant and not go with the song - As I said earlier, they have put emotion first (in front of lyrics / musical instruments etc) - but they have always done so anyway... they were just previously younger and in a different stage of their lives.

In their early years, they were always criticised for not being as talented as Radiohead, compared to Travis (in terms of blandness), and not Oasis / U2 loud or rocky enough... Also as I've previously half-joked, this band's real talent is their versatility - I've often commented jokingly that they make the "best session musicians" out there - listen to all the music they've covered over the years - that should give you an indication that they have a great ability to become the sound of the artist they are performing (think With Or Without You, Bittersweet Symphony, bloody hell even Can't Get You Out of My Head) - by the way that Kylie Minogue song from Glasto (2005 I think) and Chris writing pop songs for Jamelia / other mainstream artists should have given you a hint that he at least had pop leanings...

Given the famous closeness of the band and how they get along famously well, their musical philosophy must have room to accommodate that ;) I think that is how we have finally ended up with AOAL - Guy playing funk, Jonny doing dreamy / Indian vibe, not sure about Will, and of course Chris doing classic contemporary pop :laugh3: This is the sound of them putting themselves out there and trying to make it gel!

I may have only just started posting properly (though I joined 7 years ago!) but I am a 'hardcore coldplayer', for lack of a much better term. I have followed them for 15 years, since I was just a kid, so I'll allow myself to qualify.

As for the new track, I have no problem with differing opinions, I just found the massive amount of negative comments a tad surprising. I also noticed that 99% of them seem to be from users that joined in 2015 - why is that? I haven't a problem with it, I'm genuinely curious as to whether there's a reason for that.

?

I do remember Chris doing Kylie songs during one particular Glastonbury show, but like you said, it was a joke.

It was not a joke, the whole band played a bloody good version of it, sung by Chris of courses - are they capable of more that that? Of course, but Chris has always seemed to really like a pop tune :rolleyes:

Btw, I think at one point at least, they were good buddies (or whatever)

I may have only just started posting properly (though I joined 7 years ago!) but I am a 'hardcore coldplayer', for lack of a much better term. I have followed them for 15 years, since I was just a kid, so I'll allow myself to qualify.

I didn't use the term (for a lack of a better one) as a competition. What I was trying to say is, obviously there's going to be harsher criticism here, from people who actively follow the band, than the people on twitter who lavish it with praise simply because it's trending.

In their interview, Chris already said he was the last part to AOAL,the song was formed by Johnny's riff and Chris was not the inspiration.Why dont you guys get that they have changed since 00-05 times where they create classics of emotional slow songs.Whats with all the talk about the band being dead and Chris should leave etc.They are exploring new territory here and we should support them and enjoy their last album and not say all these stuff.

No excuses, this is the biggest let down of the recent years, a total shame.

This is not evolution, and stop with this thing that we want them to do the same things, I want an evolution that is artistically worth. This is a bad attempt to emulate Daft Punk horrible Get Lucky and Maroon 5 c'mon

This is not evolution, and stop with this thing that we want them to do the same things, I want an evolution that is artistically worth. This is a bad attempt to emulate Daft Punk horrible Get Lucky and Maroon 5 c'mon

How should they sound like- keeping in mind we have only heard one track from the album so far? They probably have a Ghost Story or All Your Friends or another Oldplay gem sitting around up their sleeve - if not, they will release it in their singles as a B-side anyway... Can't have all your want!

As for the new track, I have no problem with differing opinions, I just found the massive amount of negative comments a tad surprising. I also noticed that 99% of them seem to be from users that joined in 2015 - why is that? I haven't a problem with it, I'm genuinely curious as to whether there's a reason for that.

let's put it like this, according to the poll out of 136, 87% rated the song at least a 6 out of 10. the high volume of negativity you see in the forum doesn't necessarily translate to the actual number of people dissatisfied.

They're probably just going through a phase like U2 did (I hope so anyway)

Oldplayers aren't the only Coldplay fans around - I'm sure the band have some newer fans (eg the Twitter ones) who don't get their older music either. Look we're all their fans and will have to share the band and learn to get along (and I suppose appreciate what the band is doing for the rest of their fandom) - we're really like squabbling, bickering kids, and the some Oldplayers seem to want the Band all to themselves - no sharing!

What is it that you want then?

Hi, I rarely (well, almost never) post here, but the discussion about this song and Coldplay's future musical direction really intrigues me.

To be honest, I love this song, maybe not a fresh music in general, but a fresh Coldplay music. I admit I like many pop songs and I think there's nothing wrong listening to and liking them. I can't say that Coldplay's direction to shift to a more 'poppy' (what's with the 'poppy' moniker btw) feel in their music is right or not, but if this direction makes them happy, then I'm happy for them too (it's a different case if they are forced to shift directions by external sources). They said they had so much fun making this album, and I respect that. I do miss their old style, and I'm optimistic that maybe sometime in the future they're done with experimenting and go back to their roots (I think U2 followed a similar pattern). For now, I'll be supporting them as much as I could and be happy for them :)