✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

I can't believe there's actually people who think this is 10/10...That means this song is on the same level as Like a Rolling Stone, Tomorrow Never Knows, Bohemian Rhapsody etc...

It's a decent dance track, nothing special. The obligatory bass drop and return is nice enough, riff is ok, bass is cool. Utterly forgettable though.

Can anyone seriously say this song has as much depth and power than their old album tracks - never mind lead singles. Warning Sign, Death and All His Friends etc blow this away. To clarify a MAJOR misconception, Oldplayers don't want Coldplay to make music with the same sound and style as they used to, just to put as much ambition and emotion into it. What's wrong with their work post-2009 isn't necessarily that it's pop, but how generic and superficial that use of pop has been.

AOAL isn't offensively bad like Amazing Day, but it's the very definition of mediocre for me. The definitive sound of a band going through the motions, with enough talent for it not to be awful but not enough ambiton or artistic depth left for it to be memorable. If HFTW is the same, then I would say this will be looking like their worst album.

6/10

At the bright side the lyrics are already decent compared to a generic EDM song.Why do you find amazing day bad?I think its pretty good.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny where are you ? Don't listen to Chris, give us some shoegaze, give us some dreampop, give us some freakin artistry FFS.

ok, this is for everyone that jump on chris for any problem they think the band has, or say chris should leave the band, etc.

“I was asking the rest of the band to start something and I’ll see if a song comes out from it, so not everything comes from me,” frontman Chris Martin said of the song’s starting point. “That’s how [Ghost Stories single] Magic came about. On this album it happened with Adventure Of A Lifetime. It came from Jonny’s riff. I was the last person on there.”

x

At the bright side the lyrics are already decent compared to a generic EDM song.Why do you find amazing day bad?I think its pretty good.

Plenty has been said about Amazing Day, but I generally agree with a poster on an Oasis forum who described it as "Ed Miliband set to music". It's so bland and inoffensive it is offensive. Ridiculously cliched and unimaginative, it's the sound of a band who've ran out of ideas.

AOAL is a step up from that, but a 10:00 recording of baboons being tortured probably would be too.

Ambient/drone backgrounds

Dreampop/shoegaze/ethereal guitars

Meaningful lyrics

Different tempo, not only 4/4

A possibly inspired concept

Try not to build a track only by repeating a riff for 4+ mins

Hello there kindred soul :surprised:

I can't believe there's actually people who think this is 10/10...That means this song is on the same level as Like a Rolling Stone, Tomorrow Never Knows, Bohemian Rhapsody etc...

It's a decent dance track, nothing special. The obligatory bass drop and return is nice enough, riff is ok, bass is cool. Utterly forgettable though.

Can anyone seriously say this song has as much depth and power than their old album tracks - never mind lead singles. Warning Sign, Death and All His Friends etc blow this away. To clarify a MAJOR misconception, Oldplayers don't want Coldplay to make music with the same sound and style as they used to, just to put as much ambition and emotion into it. What's wrong with their work post-2009 isn't necessarily that it's pop, but how generic and superficial that use of pop has been.

AOAL isn't offensively bad like Amazing Day, but it's the very definition of mediocre for me. The definitive sound of a band going through the motions, with enough talent for it not to be awful but not enough ambiton or artistic depth left for it to be memorable. If HFTW is the same, then I would say this will be looking like their worst album.

6/10

*reads through all of the reviews*

This is the one that represents everything I can think of that song :nod:

One of my first proper posts!

At risk of being shouted down, I'm really loving the track! It really wasn't what I expected to hear waking up this morning, but it put a smile on my face (something rarely seen XD). It kind of feels like MX meets Get Lucky (although that description doesn't really do it justice), and after the more downbeat songs of GS, this feels like a really good way of Coldplay saying "WE'RE BACK GUYS!"

I know quite a few people haven't been impressed, and I guess it's a case of each to their own. People have different tastes and nothing can please everyone.

But for my part, its a brilliant track and a really interesting style to try out for the band... All I need to do now is not overplay it and kill it for myself!

8.5/10

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

On my first listening of this song(Radio 1), I felt very happy 'cause I thought "Finally, a new Coldplay era is coming". Now that I gave more attention to the song, I am instantly thinking of MX era.

The song isn't bad, is a combination of the talent of the members+ Rik Simpson and Stargate (mainly). I expect better songs from this forthcoming album. I'm also expecting a great song with Beyonce(not like Princess of China, with Rihanna, that song was awful).

However the collaboration with Noel Gallagher will have thumbs up, i am pretty sure of that.

Now we have to wait for us "oldplayers" til December to keep criticizing the album as fans and knowers of music.

Peace.

You're so right! I wished they spent more time in the studio, to take more time to produce a better album like they used to.

Exactly. Production can make all the difference sometimes, it can really damage a well written song, or alternatively help a mediocre song.

Woow this is exactly how I feel with this track. Best review ever, congrats 0/.

Thanks so much! :D

Guest howyousawtheworld

You'd expect me to come on here as a self proclaimed 'Oldplayer' (where the hell did that term come from anyway?!) and deride this 'mainstream pop claptrap' and bemoan the direction Coldplay have taken in the last few years. For sure the ideal musical turn I wished and still wish to see Coldplay take was down a route similar to what they did on the only great song on their album Midnight. In that sense Ghost Stories, given it's relative lack of hype and promotion was a shocking missed opportunity, and in turn we got served their weakest album yet with an appalling lack of style and substance, it's nadir being the shamelessly mainstream seeking and talent void hole of a track that was A Sky Full of Stars.

So therefore given it's obvious preening towards the charts, some will think I would hate this new song of theirs....but I don't.

I really like Adventure of a Lifetime. It's a very neat and, dare I say it, fun record. I think Guy on bass and Will on drums deserve credit for creating a great disco beat and rhythm to the song. Approaching it with fresh ears after getting up this morning at half 8 it was a good way to start the day - indeed I found myself tapping my feet on the floor while eating my breakfast! It's not a great song - very few songs are these days. But it's good enough to stand on it's own merits in today's pop world and indeed it's good enough for Coldplay, adding another notch to a surprising eclectic belt of their music.

Sure it's not Violet Hill. It's not A Rush Of Blood To The Head and it's certainly not Square One. But we can't compare them in the same way we can't compare U2's Zooropa to U2's Boy or Radiohead's Kid A to Radiohead's The Bends. Doing so would be comparing chalk and cheese. However unlike U2 or Radiohead with Zooropa and Kid A, Coldplay have decided to paint themselves into the contemporary pop scene. It's a very different musical environment to the days those songs were created. Coldplay clearly believe that era of particular song writing (in the alternative/rock sense) is over and I suspect to re chase that dream they already lived would be to make songs that would be desperately pale imitators of their past hits and albums.

That's their choice and I respect it as long as the pop music they produce in it's place is good. And do you know what, Adventure of a Lifetime IS a good track in the same way that former chart duds like A Sky Full Of Stars and Princess of China weren't.

Funky, groovy, colourful and most of all enjoyable - I like it. I like it a lot!

On my first listening of this song(Radio 1), I felt very happy 'cause I thought "Finally, a new Coldplay era is coming". Now that I gave more attention to the song, I am instantly thinking of MX era.

Exactly what i was thinking this morning, this will be the MX era all over again, i just hope the record is at least as good as MX if not better...

No excuses, this is the biggest let down of the recent years, a total shame.

This is not evolution, and stop with this thing that we want them to do the same things, I want an evolution that is artistically worth. This is a bad attempt to emulate Daft Punk horrible Get Lucky and Maroon 5 c'mon

If you say it's the biggest let down of the recent years, do you mean that AOAL is worse than PoC, Ink, ASFOS, and Amazing Day? Come on, Coldplay has done far worse since MX than this song. When I look at the mediocrity of MX and GS, AOAL is definitely a step up.

I would have also wished for them to stay true to their roots but we need to be honest here: For the past 4 years Coldplay have been a pop band. As great as it would be, it's just unrealistic to expect them to suddenly release a second AROBTTH. And when I look at the mainstream music market Daft Punk are a far better choice to emulate than Katy Perry & Co.

I'm not saying AOAL is the greatest thing ever. Sure the lyrics are super-cheesy and the woohoos at the end are annoying, but overall it's got a nice groove to it. IMO much better than Magic or Amazing Day. 7/10 from me.

It's always the same with that band. I was surprised the same way i was with Midnight and a couple of days later, i've loved it ! So i don't really know what to say, it's catchy and groovy with a great bass line but seems a little bit overproduced. Let's wait ...

A very DIFFERENT Coldplay song. I wasn't sure at first but after a couple of listens I absolutely LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH:heart:

The bass and guitar are the the best things about this tune. They are funky and danceable but at the same time very cool and smooth. Just what a good funky song should sound like. And did they pull it off? Hell to the yes!:D

8.5/10

I haven't been here for ages, but for sure AOAL brought me here for a moment.

Wow, new single, wow new album is coming. I was expecting that after Ghost Stories they won't come back with nostalgic acoustic sound. I was expecting that they will continue this MX atmosphere in their music. And that's totally fine. I mean, a lot of you probably have disapointed in them again. Since I'm not that hardcore fan I used to be, I look at Coldplay in different way. I expect nothing. This time I just listened to it and thought "Oh, that's a cute song, good to listen when you're in the happy mood. I probably will get bored of it after a few listens, but that's okay. Oh, it could totally fit into Happy Hipster playlist on Spotify..." . I don't even try to discuss, like "why don't they try to be more artisty, more creative, more meaningful..". Coldplay are going this way and we can't change anything. You may enjoy their current sound or not. There's just no point at being angry on them.

If you say it's the biggest let down of the recent years, do you mean that AOAL is worse than PoC, Ink, ASFOS, and Amazing Day? Come on, Coldplay has done far worse since MX than this song. When I look at the mediocrity of MX and GS, AOAL is definitely a step up.

I would have also wished for them to stay true to their roots but we need to be honest here: For the past 4 years Coldplay have been a pop band. As great as it would be, it's just unrealistic to expect them to suddenly release a second AROBTTH. And when I look at the mainstream music market Daft Punk are a far better choice to emulate than Katy Perry & Co.

I'm not saying AOAL is the greatest thing ever. Sure the lyrics are super-cheesy and the woohoos at the end are annoying, but overall it's got a nice groove to it. IMO much better than Magic or Amazing Day. 7/10 from me.

I'd say I have to agree with this mostly except I'd switch out Amazing Day with True Love and I don't think most of MX is mediocre. I like Amazing Day more than this song. :nod:

Guest howyousawtheworld
Exactly. Not utter shite, but still... We're talking about the band that made Violet Hill, Trouble, Square One, Cemeteries of London, Clocks, AROBTHH, Death & All His Friends, White Shadows... This is really disappointing.

Not a bad track though. I was really expecting something awful after that "Earth Song" rip off that was Amazing Day.

But still... my hope are very, very low for this album. And this note on their website is just pouring with cheese all over. "let's embrace happiness altogether with coldplay"... ugh, not for me thanks.

Jonny where are you ? Don't listen to Chris, give us some shoegaze, give us some dreampop, give us some freakin artistry FFS.

While I broadly agree with this (I'm 'Coldplay doing shoegaze' hungry after Chinese Sleep Chant) Earth Song rip off? That suggests that Earth Song was 'good'?! It isn't. Earth Song is an abomination of a song! Pretty sure if the jury was reminded of that song during Jacko's trial in 2005 he'd have been banged up to rights!

Obviously this isn't Coldplay's greatest song, but I appreciate how the whole band is involved and how different it is. It is otherwise instrumentally impressive, tight, clean and very fun. The funky, groovy rhythm is very infectious. I really feel like dancing all over the place. I love how it heralds back to 70s disco as well as 80s rock. I'll have to admit this is the song I've always wished Coldplay would try. I myself am a fan of the neo-disco and neo-80s trend that has been occurring lately.

The little details in a song always get me and AOAL has many: when Chris sings about his heartbeat the music muffles to the drum beat and bass, the cowbell percussion and the claps (so disco-like), the backing voices, and the acoustic guitar riff at the end. I hope AHFOD really showcases the band's talent despite the genre, which is what AOAL seems to be hinting towards.

In summary, I love it. Very fun and fresh, though I expect some better tracks on the rest of the album.

7.5/10