✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

musical fascists

I've seen this term being used now by both sides tonight (i.e. against Oldplayers and against Newplayers) and I would like to say that I find it generally inappropriate to connect the term facism to anything as light as opinions on music genres. Really...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised to see so many negative reactions on here, but I'm afraid this is another one.

I'm confused and I don't know what to think of it. This post will probably reflect that so sorry in advance for any incoherence.

I don't know. It's a nice song. I don't dislike it but I don't love it either, and as others have said it just doesn't sound like Coldplay at all, take away the vocals and it could be Two Doors Cinema club or so. ...there is however nothing wrong with Two Doors Cinema Club and I'm not bothered by the fact that they don't sound like Coldplay, on the contrary. I would be disappointed if it sounded like their previous albums (unless it'd be AROBTTH but okay, that album is just rather perfect and I wouldn't mind more of that).

What does bother me is that it sounds pretty forgettable to me. If an earworm like this can be forgettable, that is. It just doesn't stand out like Viva or Speed of Sound or Clocks did. Even ETIAW stood out more (I like ETIAW but it's not their best I think)

Apart from the "ok but it's nothing too special"-feeling I also think it's a bit too repetitive and the wooohoos, just no. They're old; they did enough wooohoos on MX. No problem with wooohooos, but we've had enough wooohoos by now.

I didn't expect Oldplay, I didn't expect great lyrics, in fact I didn't know what to expect and now I don't know what we got. The lyrics aren't great. "You make me feel alive again" ok Chris i'm very very happy for you but....

It's clear though that they don't care what anyone thinks and that's a good thing. If they enjoyed making it and enough people like it so that the band doesn't go bankrupt, good job. I have other songs to listen to. I do hope I'll like the album because the best thing this band has given me is a bunch of friends I've met on here and elsewhere online and I want to join the awesome meetups at concerts in London and shit (London is expensive and if I end up not liking the album...) :bigcry:

Ok sorry for the rambling :freak:

Ps: great bassline, mr Berryman!

They really surprised me with this, it's so funky.

Did I like it instantly: no, because its so different I think I have to get used to it.

I have the song on repeat for the last hour or so and it is growing on me.

Can't wait to hear this live. Usually that works better for me.

Has anyone tried to write down the lyrics?

I agree!

I think people put too much merit into genres, as apposed to just listening to music.

I'm also shocked at how slowly people are to accept change.

Right now, I applaud Coldplay for this new move, they certainly haven't made something that has sounded like this before, and transcends the 'Mylo XyloTWO' narrative a lot of people here have been telling.

Despite my favorite CP albums being Parachutes, X and Y, and Ghost Stories, I'm loving that Coldplay refuses to conform, and I am looking forward to December 4th.

New Cage The Elephant album coming on December 18th, so it looks like December is being front loaded with great music.

They really surprised me with this, it's so funky.

Did I like it instantly: no, because its so different I think I have to get used to it.

I have the song on repeat for the last hour or so and it is growing on me.

Can't wait to hear this live. Usually that works better for me.

Has anyone tried to write down the lyrics?

I agree!

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5756233

It's a great dance track for the album. I think this track prob reflects the theme of the album which is happiness and color. The guitar, bass, and drums is what hits this song home for me. They are just great, especially the sexy guitar riff. The only thing I dislike is the vocals in the verse, just cause it doesn't sound like chris style. But it'll grow on me. The lyrics aren't as good as Parachutes but reading them they are nice and compliment thr song well. And that's what matters. If We Never Change's lyrics were for Paradise people wouldn't like that I'm sure. I keep reading about people thinking that this song is bland and they need to go to AROBTTH again. But like multiple people said, if they kept making songs like that they'd become Oasis (musically) or Weezer (lyrically). Would you really want coldplay always talking about sparks and clocks and stuff? I wouldn't. I love those songs and I miss them but they need to move ok the bigger and better things. I think this was a good feat of experimentation for them, and I know it will do really well in the charts. I'm excited for this album. Side note: People talking about Chris needing to go solo really need to leave. I know we're supposed to respect others opinions and all but this is hust wrong and quite frankly I'm disappointed in those who said that. This is a coldplay forum. We are here to enjoy coldplay. Not discuss that Chris martin should go solo to write sad songs again. Without all of them together, as apparent in AOAL, they wouldn't be who they are today. And then there would be no Coldplaying.

This is a coldplay forum. We are here to enjoy coldplay. Not discuss that Chris martin should go solo to write sad songs again. Without all of them together, as apparent in AOAL, they wouldn't be who they are today. And then there would be no Coldplaying.

I agree with most of your post, but not with the part i quoted... We aren't here only to enjoy Coldplay, we're here to discuss the music of one of the biggest bands in world.:D So i think it's fun that there is so many different opinions, it just shows how much Coldplay matters for people.

But yes... i agree, there shouldn't be judging based on previous albums. You just got to judge everything seperately and if people can't do that, then it's difficult for them to stay fan of Coldplay.

. Would you really want coldplay always talking about sparks and clocks and stuff? I wouldn't. I love those songs and I miss them but they need to move ok the bigger and better things. I think this was a good feat of experimentation for them, and I know it will do really well in the charts. I'm excited for this album. Side note: People talking about Chris needing to go solo really need to leave. I know we're supposed to respect others opinions and all but this is hust wrong and quite frankly I'm disappointed in those who said that. This is a coldplay forum. We are here to enjoy coldplay. Not discuss that Chris martin should go solo to write sad songs again. Without all of them together, as apparent in AOAL, they wouldn't be who they are today. And then there would be no Coldplaying.

Is "Dance, Dance, Dance. My heartbeat beats" and "Stars, Stary, Stars in the stary, amazing, sky" really bigger and better things? Lyrically speaking absolutely not when compared with the likes of AROBTTH and VLV.

I don't think Chris should go solo either, but it certainly is a valid opinion and one that should be respected. Not "just wrong" like you stipulate. Oasis fans probably rang a similar tune when Noel went solo and look at the albums he released. Infinitely better than anything he did with Oasis post Morning Glory.

Could it be that some fans have finally realised that Coldplay are not that highbrow and are actually a populist band??? :rolleyes: :laugh3:

I am sorry if that is the case because they have always wanted to reach out and touch people in an emotional way - in other words, you could call that being populist, not in a valueless lowest common denominator kind of way, but in terms of always putting the emotional message of their music first before any preconceived idea of what they should / could be

Could it be that some fans have finally realised that Coldplay are not that highbrow and are actually a populist band???

I am sorry if that is the case because they have always wanted to reach out and touch people in an emotional way - in other words, you could call that being populist, not in a valueless lowest common denominator kind of way, but in terms of always putting the emotional message of their music first before any preconceived idea of what they should / could be

All legendary bands are populist. That's part of what makes them legendary. That's not the issue here. The issue is them being commercially driven and relevancy based because "Authentic music could sell in 2002 but now people want vapid lyrics and self-serving collaborations"

That's not doing what they want to do because they really want to make songs like Amazing Day. It's them doing it because it will keep them relevant and appeal to teenagers.

Very disappointed, probably the worst single ever.

Chris should feel ashamed for this *

In their interview, Chris already said he was the last part to AOAL,the song was formed by Johnny's riff and Chris was not the inspiration.Why dont you guys get that they have changed since 00-05 times where they create classics of emotional slow songs.Whats with all the talk about the band being dead and Chris should leave etc.They are exploring new territory here and we should support them and enjoy their last album and not say all these stuff.

Musically, I absolutely adore it already! I love the bass and the sound and I think it's a really new direction. Lyrically, to be honest I haven't really focused on that yet or analysed it but they don't sound life-changing... That said, Chris has rarely been (with a few notable exceptions) an absolutely remarkable lyricist - but it comes from the heart, which is what matters as far as I'm concerned. Lovelovelove this :D

All legendary bands are populist. That's part of what makes them legendary. That's not the issue here. The issue is them being commercially driven and relevancy based because "Authentic music could sell in 2002 but now people want vapid lyrics and self-serving collaborations"

That's not doing what they want to do because they really want to make songs like Amazing Day. It's them doing it because it will keep them relevant and appeal to teenagers.

Unfortunately I think that is their ambition - to keep themselves relevant and to appeal to the masses (the legendary bands as you say)... Look at it this way, the Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Elton John have all been pretty legendary in their own way - I think no one would dispute that they have been very popular and have had very wide appeal. I think most people can agree that they did do good music, however they all changed with time and I'm sure may have been criticised at the time for their musical output, but over time, their whole catalogue (changes included) have become quite classic - I think we've got to look at Coldplay this way, I mean they have worked and built themselves up into a massive band... Why should they be restricted in the kind of music they produce or play just because they are in a "band"? Their job is to produce music - it must as well be music they like rather than just what we think they should produce.

And please don't tell me all "pop" music is shit, the same way that not all rock music is good... Sure a lot of it may be meaningless to some people, but it obviously touches other people, and that's even before we talk about the artistic points (good pop songs do have some level of artistic merit). On that note, I think we might be a bit small-minded ourselves if we think that Coldplay are "above" enjoying / producing a catchy pop song... Chris has always admired contemporary pop tunes eg those from Elton John, A-Ha, etc, etc., just listen to his interviews...

Chris has rarely been (with a few notable exceptions) an absolutely remarkable lyricist

The lyrics on Parachutes, AROBTTH and VLV were superb.

I think the issue is with the lyrics being banal and bland. Chris does a certain thing very well; esoteric and ambiguous lyrics, this obviously doesn't translate well when you're writing dumbed down lyrics for a mainstream pop audience so as a natural consequence when he tries to write straight forward lyrics it doesn't translate well.

Guest kmm1482

Admittedly, I am an "Oldplayer". Ghost Stories wasn't my thing, most of Mylo Xyloto wasn't my thing. The first Coldplay song I've ever hated is ASFOS (it feels cheap and pandering), I loooong for the '4 guys with an instrument jamming out' days of Rush and the heart-on-the-sleeve love songs of Parachutes. The end of the Viva era, my interest began waning. IMO, the best things about Ghost Stories were Oceans and the b-sides. This song... I am completely excited again! This song makes me feel something. It's bouncy and fun, but not 'flavor of the week' like ASFOS. It feel so much like 4 guys with instruments jamming out having fun. The lyrics aren't as strong as Rush (but nothing ever will be) and the woo-hoo's at the end are a bit silly, but that's Coldplay's thing, every album has a few of those moments. This song is infectious; I heard it one time and it was stuck in my head. If the rest of the album is like this, it'll be my favorite since Viva. They're winning me back in a big way