✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm into the song. Not their best pop song (those remains Charlie Brown and ETIAW to me), but it's good. I like the groovy atmospheres and the lyrics. Still, it lacks a little in... I don't know, "explosivity"? Gave it a 7 in the Poll

Yeah, I love the song but totally agree I was expecting a little more "explosivity" as you put it. Felt like aomething was missing.

I was so excited after hearing the song and came here expecting lots of happy people. Reading literally pages of people complaining about a band and song you like is kind of depressing really...

yeah, reading them while actually listening to the song is a conflicting experience. Well, to each their own I guess.

Okay so this is honestly nothing like I expected the song to be :lol: I the first time I listened to it, I just had this really confused expression on my face the entire time. BUT, after listening to it several more times just a bit ago, I think I like it!

Also, I'm going to add in some stuff about my general thoughts on the album so far . . .

Adventure of a Lifetime

-Guy's bassline will not be denied holy cow +1

-Jonny's guitar is excellent. One of my favorite riffs, although it does get a bit repetitive +.5

-Lyrics - Could be better, could be worse. Rather generic, certainly nothing any more impressive than we've heard off the last two albums. I cringed a few times -1

-BUT THAT LINE "I'm a dream that died by light of day" is fantastic. The whole song is worth it just for that line +2

-The power of the 80s is strong with this one

-It's dancey without veering too strongly into pop, which I was honestly expecting it to. I actually danced to it while I was getting ready this morning +1

-Outro - Please no. There haven't been any good "ooh" or "wooh" chants since Viva -2

-Hand claps - Again, please no. Same as above -1

-What even is that twangy instrument thing at the end

Total score: .5 above expectations (I'll give it a 7/10 for now)

A Head Full of Dreams

Artwork - I've already stated elsewhere that I'm not a huge fan of the busy, psychedelic look. Definitely prefer Coldplay's traditional clean artwork. It might just be a thing to get used to though -1

Tracklisting

-Let's face it, we all knew there was eventually going to be a song called "Birds"

-Somebody totally called Kaleidoscope as a song, but I have no idea who

-wtf is Tove Lo and why does Coldplay have a track called Fun on their album

-One Man Army sounds like a relic from the Viva era. pls be true

-For some reason a lot of these I just can't picture as Coldplay songs. They're not bad, but there's no title that's really unique like there have been on other albums idk

Background Knowledge/Misc.

-NOEL GALLAGHER NOEL GALLAGHER NOEL GALLAGHER +1 million

-Stargate as producers - Still not sold on this one, but AoaL turned out pretty good so I'm continuing to reserve judgement

I don't even know how to score this part but: I'm interested to hear the rest of the album. Adventure has alleviated some of my fears about their direction and choice of producers. If the Noel Gallagher thing is true then I am literally going to die (hands down two favorite artists of all time collaborating? Sign me the heck up). I'm hoping for a nice blend of funk-rock and the traditional indie rock that embodied the guys' first four albums. Can't wait!

Okay so this is honestly nothing like I expected the song to be :lol: I the first time I listened to it, I just had this really confused expression on my face the entire time. BUT, after listening to it several more times just a bit ago, I think I like it!

Also, I'm going to add in some stuff about my general thoughts on the album so far . . .

Adventure of a Lifetime

-Guy's bassline will not be denied holy cow +1

-Jonny's guitar is excellent. One of my favorite riffs, although it does get a bit repetitive +.5

-Lyrics - Could be better, could be worse. Rather generic, certainly nothing any more impressive than we've heard off the last two albums. I cringed a few times -1

-BUT THAT LINE "I'm a dream that died by light of day" is fantastic. The whole song is worth it just for that line +2

-The power of the 80s is strong with this one

-It's dancey without veering too strongly into pop, which I was honestly expecting it to. I actually danced to it while I was getting ready this morning +1

-Outro - Please no. There haven't been any good "ooh" or "wooh" chants since Viva -2

-Hand claps - Again, please no. Same as above -1

-What even is that twangy instrument thing at the end

Total score: .5 above expectations (I'll give it a 7/10 for now)

A Head Full of Dreams

Artwork - I've already stated elsewhere that I'm not a huge fan of the busy, psychedelic look. Definitely prefer Coldplay's traditional clean artwork. It might just be a thing to get used to though -1

Tracklisting

-Let's face it, we all knew there was eventually going to be a song called "Birds"

-Somebody totally called Kaleidoscope as a song, but I have no idea who

-wtf is Tove Lo and why does Coldplay have a track called Fun on their album

-One Man Army sounds like a relic from the Viva era. pls be true

-For some reason a lot of these I just can't picture as Coldplay songs. They're not bad, but there's no title that's really unique like there have been on other albums idk

Background Knowledge/Misc.

-NOEL GALLAGHER NOEL GALLAGHER NOEL GALLAGHER +1 million

-Stargate as producers - Still not sold on this one, but AoaL turned out pretty good so I'm continuing to reserve judgement

I don't even know how to score this part but: I'm interested to hear the rest of the album. Adventure has alleviated some of my fears about their direction and choice of producers. If the Noel Gallagher thing is true then I am literally going to die (hands down two favorite artists of all time collaborating? Sign me the heck up). I'm hoping for a nice blend of funk-rock and the traditional indie rock that embodied the guys' first four albums. Can't wait!

Do you watch Cinemasins? Haha

^ I think I've watched a few of their videos :P

Also something to add that I just thought of:

As others have said, it doesn't really sound like Coldplay as we've come to expect them to sound. I played AoaL for my mom and that's exactly what she said also, so there's an outside perspective for you all :lol: I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, it's just unexpected. While I do like the song, and it does make me feel slightly better about the album, I don't think I'm going to care for the album a whole lot of the entire tracklist winds up being a bunch of songs with this really heavy 80s influence. As someone else said, they kind of sound like Two Door Cinema Club.

As a song standing by itself, it's fine, but if it becomes a precursor for an album full of funky 80s songs, then my views on it are probably going to drastically change in a negative way. But that's just my early-morning, sleep-deprived rambling, so take it how you will!

^ I think I've watched a few of their videos :P

Also something to add that I just thought of:

As others have said, it doesn't really sound like Coldplay as we've come to expect them to sound. I played AoaL for my mom and that's exactly what she said also, so there's an outside perspective for you all :lol: I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, it's just unexpected. While I do like the song, and it does make me feel slightly better about the album, I don't think I'm going to care for the album a whole lot of the entire tracklist winds up being a bunch of songs with this really heavy 80s influence. As someone else said, they kind of sound like Two Door Cinema Club.

As a song standing by itself, it's fine, but if it becomes a precursor for an album full of funky 80s songs, then my views on it are probably going to drastically change in a negative way. But that's just my early-morning, sleep-deprived rambling, so take it how you will!

Well Amazing Day is different (hearing from the live version anyway), so that's a step towards diversity. Then the rumored Noel Gallagher collaboration one, I don't think his thing will be 80s-ish (at least not funky)

Wasn't expecting this. But it's awesome.

I might be the oldest member on this thread, but I love that they're always trying new things. I think I this new release made my realize what I couldn't realize for VLV and MX. Which is that they're evolving and making different stuff, and won't get back to that original sound.

Ghost Stories was a bit mellow like Parachutes and AROBTTH, but it had a lot more electronic stuff. I've they're going funky, daft punk style, I can't complain, because they make good music regardless of which genre it is.

My Final Review:

Goods: Adventure of A Lifetime finds Coldplay reinventing their sound once again while conveniently hopping on board with a recent surge of disco and dance nostalgia in the pop music world. The song still sets itself apart from the pack, however, with a sharp guitar riff and Hindi inspired samples. The drums are sparkling and diverse, and the bassline is probably one of the most surprising we've got from Guy. Chris delivers some ho-hum lyrics, but despite their simplicity I find the song to be quite meaningful within the pop spectrum. In total, this track has tons of layers and great production and even if it isn't the direction some of us wanted, it still feels like a group effort.

Bads: There are a few moments where Stargate comes through with some pretty blaring pop music tropes in the backing synth track, and that can be frustrating. And other have pointed out, even on BBC2, that Chris' woo hoo's are getting old. The song is fun and dancy, but as a single it might wear itself out too soon due to its reliance on a single, repetitive riff. Nonetheless excited to see how this fits into the album both conceptually and musically.

Final Score: 8/10

I can't believe there's actually people who think this is 10/10...That means this song is on the same level as Like a Rolling Stone, Tomorrow Never Knows, Bohemian Rhapsody etc...

It's a decent dance track, nothing special. The obligatory bass drop and return is nice enough, riff is ok, bass is cool. Utterly forgettable though.

Can anyone seriously say this song has as much depth and power than their old album tracks - never mind lead singles. Warning Sign, Death and All His Friends etc blow this away. To clarify a MAJOR misconception, Oldplayers don't want Coldplay to make music with the same sound and style as they used to, just to put as much ambition and emotion into it. What's wrong with their work post-2009 isn't necessarily that it's pop, but how generic and superficial that use of pop has been.

AOAL isn't offensively bad like Amazing Day, but it's the very definition of mediocre for me. The definitive sound of a band going through the motions, with enough talent for it not to be awful but not enough ambiton or artistic depth left for it to be memorable. If HFTW is the same, then I would say this will be looking like their worst album.

6/10

This single release reminds me a lot of the ETIAW release, people complaining about the band becoming poppier and everyone either hating it or loving it, i really dug it, at first i was like wtf is this? but it's definitely a grower, i think the album will be great and The best part is that we'll only have to wait less than a month to find out :D

I can't believe there's actually people who think this is 10/10...That means this song is on the same level as Like a Rolling Stone, Tomorrow Never Knows, Bohemian Rhapsody etc...

It's a decent dance track, nothing special. The obligatory bass drop and return is nice enough, riff is ok, bass is cool. Utterly forgettable though.

Can anyone seriously say this song has as much depth and power than their old album tracks - never mind lead singles. Warning Sign, Death and All His Friends etc blow this away. To clarify a MAJOR misconception, Oldplayers don't want Coldplay to make music with the same sound and style as they used to, just to put as much ambition and emotion into it. What's wrong with their work post-2009 isn't necessarily that it's pop, but how generic and superficial that use of pop has been.

AOAL isn't offensively bad like Amazing Day, but it's the very definition of mediocre for me. The definitive sound of a band going through the motions, with enough talent for it not to be awful but not enough ambiton or artistic depth left for it to be memorable. If HFTW is the same, then I would say this will be looking like their worst album.

6/10

applausi.gif

6/10

uhh, ok

There was a time Coldplay could do no wrong for me and the release of a new Coldplay song meant it would be something I knew I would love. I remember the first time I heard Viva La Vida. I was impressed and could not help but think it was one of Coldplay's greatest songs ever. Unfortunately, those days are long gone for me. I can understand that a band has to grow and cannot put out the same album every single time but they have departed so much from their original "rock sound" which to me made them amazing. I'm not saying I hate pop or that I mind a pop/dance song. I for one absolutely loved Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and defended the song on this forum when it was released. Charlie Brown is also a stand out in Coldplay's music catalog.

I've been listening to Adventure of a Lifetime on repeat and I cannot find anything redeeming about it. It's repetitive and cringeworthy. This seems to be a song that belongs on Ghost Stories right next to Magic. I had hoped that Ghost Stories was a one off album but given the sound of AOAL I'm beginning to doubt that. Which seems to be the story of late with Coldplay. Repetitive and uninspired lyrics like those in Paradise and A Sky Full of Stars. Long gone are the days of beautiful melodies and meaningful and emotional lyrics like those in the The Scientist, Fix You, Amsterdam, Talk and Politik. What made Coldplay unique is no longer there. They are just another musical act like dozens of others played on the radio--forgettable. I never thought I'd say this but if this were to be Coldplay's last album it might not be such a bad thing.

5/10

I had high hopes for this track after hearing the 8 second snippet. I figured the repetitive riff would be just in the intro and once the drums hit it would venture off into new sound territory.

I like the track. It's funky and groovy and has

me nodding my head. the repetitive riff is going to get old, I can guarantee it, for me anyway.

It's a 7/10 for me right now with the possibility of dropping to 6 or rising to 8 between now and when the album drops.

Wasn't the mind blowing banger I was hoping for but I usually don't particularly like the lead singles anyway!

Well no one was expecting that.

I have so far only listened to the song two times, so these are only my initial reactions, which may be the most honest. On "Adventure of A Lifetime" Coldplay basically go disco. It's a funky track, closer to Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" or something from Earth, Wind, and Fire than even something from Ghost Stories. Funk music is not something I really listen to much. If, for example, "Get Lucky" comes on the radio, I do enjoy it. It's 70s influence break the monotony of generic radio drivel. I will occasionally go listen to it if a "funky" mood strikes me, but that isn't very often. As a Coldplay fan, clearly my "core" interests lie elseware, in rock music. However, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy funk/disco tracks. I just need to be in the right kind of mood.

That being said, Adventure of a Lifetime is a good disco track. There are things I like and things I don't if I'm being completly honest, but I will get into those in a second. I think of new Coldplay tracks this way: If I had never heard Coldplay and heard this track on the radio, would I be drawn in to listen to their other work. And the only time the answer was close to a "no" was with "A Sky Full of Stars". The reason even this song would have drawn me in is it still features many classic Coldplay elements, ie. Jonny's chiming guitar riffs, Chris's complex patterns of singing (even if the lines themselves are pretty straightforward), a rocking drum part featuring real(!) drums by Will, and Guy's intericate and melodic bass lines. It's Coldplay covered in textures we don't know, but it's still Coldplay.

As for the postives of the tracks, Jonny sounds great, as does Guy. To me, the song is very much a "jam" that was turned into a pop song. I could see, with different production and slight changes to the melody, this sound fitting on X&Y. Which may sound strange, but the basic outline of the song could easily have been taken in a space-rock direction, rather than a pop one. I think the Coldplaying community would have enjoyed that direction more, but even so, this song is not completely isolating to long time fans, though perhaps middling. The melody is also, while not Coldplay's best, an improvment on songs like "A Sky Full of Stars" and "ETIAW". It's a bit more of a tradional "song" rather than just serving as buildup, basically singing the background music as Chris had sort of done on those previous tracks. I especially like the part at around 3:30ish, where it starts sounding (honestly a little too) close to one of my favorite Beatles tracks "It's Only Love". That melody is arguably closer to "Oldplay". Personally I would have liked to hear more of that. And that is one of the most difficult things about this track. It's a very good disco hit, but the elements of a great Coldplay song are all there, they just weren't necessarily capitalized on. The song could have been a spacey endeavor, and in some ways still is, but instead it goes more into the group's "pop direction".

Now let me talk about some of the worst thing about the track. The Production. At times, it's okay. The guitar sounds great the whole time, so that's a plus. Will's drum part is great, but is only occasionally done justice by the production. Too many times it is drowned out by the many sounds going on in the track, and that is truly a shame. The same can be said with Guy. He is prominently featured, but at times it becomes hard to distinguish even him. And while I like the first time the song fades out to just Chris and Guy, one time was enough. Revisiting that trick multiple times, as the track does, makes it sound a tad too generic, as if they are very consciously trying to get the song into the club scene. This would be fine, but admitidly it does sound forced the second time around. it's not a big issue, but I fear that the "being forced" sound may hurt the entire album when it comes out. Another issue is that, while cool, the voices in the background distract from the song at times. Personally, I wouldn't have kept them in the whole time, as i think with Jonny's guitar riff they make the whole thing a little too busy at times, and I would rather be able to closely enjoy what the band is playing. But that's a minor qualm.

Speaking of the album, for all the flaws this track might have to many listeners, I believe it has the chance to sound very good on the finished album, better than it does as a single. With the background effects and the small shoegaze influence, I could see elements of this song, which are featured as "effects" being connected to the rest of the album. "Motifs" if you will. The song's production, though maligned in many areas, gives me the vibe that the album will be meant to be listened to as a whole, almost as a journey or something. I could be wrong about that, but that is the vibe I get from the production. Also, this song is unlike anything Coldplay has done. While I wouldn't want an album of tracks like this, having this one "disco" track on a super diverse album would actually be kind of cool. It may not end up being my favorite track on said album, but it would be cool that Coldplay are showing that they can make a cool song in any style, which I feel they have not done to a huge extent since Viva La Vida, which featured many styles of music.

So that's my review. Final consensus: it's a great disco song, but not what Coldplay fans were expecting. Still, enough familiar attributes are there that it won't completely isolate many fans, though it may be seen as a "missed opportunity to them. Though production may raise concern for "A Head Full of Dream", the diversity of the track may mean that album could be a unique treat.

6/10

You're so right! I wished they spent more time in the studio, to take more time to produce a better album like they used to.

6/10

Exactly. Not utter shite, but still... We're talking about the band that made Violet Hill, Trouble, Square One, Cemeteries of London, Clocks, AROBTHH, Death & All His Friends, White Shadows... This is really disappointing.

Not a bad track though. I was really expecting something awful after that "Earth Song" rip off that was Amazing Day.

But still... my hope are very, very low for this album. And this note on their website is just pouring with cheese all over. "let's embrace happiness altogether with coldplay"... ugh, not for me thanks.

Jonny where are you ? Don't listen to Chris, give us some shoegaze, give us some dreampop, give us some freakin artistry FFS.

6/10

Feel you. I liked the song a lot haha. But for 1 out of 10 I give a 6 as well. Well at least this a generic song that is way better than other generics like Paradise, princess of china, charlie brown, ETIAW. Still hope that this album will have other spots for more unique and original songs. But for now Im enjoying the groovyness haha. BUT AGREE 100% with you. Best coment defending the old times from cold that I've seen. ^^

Ps: A unique synthpop/disco album that is creative and original for example that is not generic is Night school from Neon Indian, its awsome. That is what I call unique and creative pop, cold could inspire in bands like that sometimes if they want to do a real.good pop sound

Well no one was expecting that.

I have so far only listened to the song two times, so these are only my initial reactions, which may be the most honest. On "Adventure of A Lifetime" Coldplay basically go disco. It's a funky track, closer to Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" or something from Earth, Wind, and Fire than even something from Ghost Stories. Funk music is not something I really listen to much. If, for example, "Get Lucky" comes on the radio, I do enjoy it. It's 70s influence break the monotony of generic radio drivel. I will occasionally go listen to it if a "funky" mood strikes me, but that isn't very often. As a Coldplay fan, clearly my "core" interests lie elseware, in rock music. However, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy funk/disco tracks. I just need to be in the right kind of mood.

That being said, Adventure of a Lifetime is a good disco track. There are things I like and things I don't if I'm being completly honest, but I will get into those in a second. I think of new Coldplay tracks this way: If I had never heard Coldplay and heard this track on the radio, would I be drawn in to listen to their other work. And the only time the answer was close to a "no" was with "A Sky Full of Stars". The reason even this song would have drawn me in is it still features many classic Coldplay elements, ie. Jonny's chiming guitar riffs, Chris's complex patterns of singing (even if the lines themselves are pretty straightforward), a rocking drum part featuring real(!) drums by Will, and Guy's intericate and melodic bass lines. It's Coldplay covered in textures we don't know, but it's still Coldplay.

As for the postives of the tracks, Jonny sounds great, as does Guy. To me, the song is very much a "jam" that was turned into a pop song. I could see, with different production and slight changes to the melody, this sound fitting on X&Y. Which may sound strange, but the basic outline of the song could easily have been taken in a space-rock direction, rather than a pop one. I think the Coldplaying community would have enjoyed that direction more, but even so, this song is not completely isolating to long time fans, though perhaps middling. The melody is also, while not Coldplay's best, an improvment on songs like "A Sky Full of Stars" and "ETIAW". It's a bit more of a tradional "song" rather than just serving as buildup, basically singing the background music as Chris had sort of done on those previous tracks. I especially like the part at around 3:30ish, where it starts sounding (honestly a little too) close to one of my favorite Beatles tracks "It's Only Love". That melody is arguably closer to "Oldplay". Personally I would have liked to hear more of that. And that is one of the most difficult things about this track. It's a very good disco hit, but the elements of a great Coldplay song are all there, they just weren't necessarily capitalized on. The song could have been a spacey endeavor, and in some ways still is, but instead it goes more into the group's "pop direction".

Now let me talk about some of the worst thing about the track. The Production. At times, it's okay. The guitar sounds great the whole time, so that's a plus. Will's drum part is great, but is only occasionally done justice by the production. Too many times it is drowned out by the many sounds going on in the track, and that is truly a shame. The same can be said with Guy. He is prominently featured, but at times it becomes hard to distinguish even him. And while I like the first time the song fades out to just Chris and Guy, one time was enough. Revisiting that trick multiple times, as the track does, makes it sound a tad too generic, as if they are very consciously trying to get the song into the club scene. This would be fine, but admitidly it does sound forced the second time around. it's not a big issue, but I fear that the "being forced" sound may hurt the entire album when it comes out. Another issue is that, while cool, the voices in the background distract from the song at times. Personally, I wouldn't have kept them in the whole time, as i think with Jonny's guitar riff they make the whole thing a little too busy at times, and I would rather be able to closely enjoy what the band is playing. But that's a minor qualm.

Speaking of the album, for all the flaws this track might have to many listeners, I believe it has the chance to sound very good on the finished album, better than it does as a single. With the background effects and the small shoegaze influence, I could see elements of this song, which are featured as "effects" being connected to the rest of the album. "Motifs" if you will. The song's production, though maligned in many areas, gives me the vibe that the album will be meant to be listened to as a whole, almost as a journey or something. I could be wrong about that, but that is the vibe I get from the production. Also, this song is unlike anything Coldplay has done. While I wouldn't want an album of tracks like this, having this one "disco" track on a super diverse album would actually be kind of cool. It may not end up being my favorite track on said album, but it would be cool that Coldplay are showing that they can make a cool song in any style, which I feel they have not done to a huge extent since Viva La Vida, which featured many styles of music.

So that's my review. Final consensus: it's a great disco song, but not what Coldplay fans were expecting. Still, enough familiar attributes are there that it won't completely isolate many fans, though it may be seen as a "missed opportunity to them. Though production may raise concern for "A Head Full of Dream", the diversity of the track may mean that album could be a unique treat.

Woow this is exactly how I feel with this track. Best review ever, congrats 0/.