✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

• Administrators

Coldplay's new single #AOAL (supposedly Adventure of a Lifetime) will be released on Friday at 7:45am UK time. Once the song is released and you've made up your mind on whether you like it or not, we would like to know your opinion on it!

Please post your reviews for AOAL in this thread for the Wiki and Main Site. Visit this thread for examples on previous song reviews written by Coldplayers.

For audio, video and general discussion, please visit this thread.

Remember: the longer the reviews, the better!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems as if their becoming more and more of a pop band. Although I understand that It's unreasonable to expect them to keep coming out with songs like they did before I just heard the song and I wasn't too stoked about it. Albeit this was only one song and there's lots of other songs on the album such as Amazing Day ( Which IMO was better than AOAL) so maybe the rest of the album is a bit different. (Fingers Crossed)

So groovy so funky. With a little bit of rock. Daft punk and 80'dance music made this song. I love it and I hate it. Indian vibe in there. It's a mashup of all this thins together and at the same time. Never heard something like that from the band so I like it.

I was very very very nervous about this song and album because I wished for a return to earlier Coldplay, I'm not a fan of them going in a more and more pop direction. That being said, I freakin LOVE this song. I didn't want to because it is so pop but I can't help it, it's so damn catchy and that guitar and Chris' vocals everything I just love it. I've been repeating it over and over, I just wanna sing along and dance to it!!

It's difficult because we can't expect them to go backwards, even though for me nothing beats AROBTTH, but they need to keep evolving to keep us excited. This made me hopeful that I will love the new album even though it is not what I wanted from them. They seem to manage to convince me with every album that they know what I want to hear ha.

I'll post a more detailed review later, but for now:

Awful. I couldn't tell it apart from any other chart pop crap that's 24 h on the radio. No real melody. All typical elements of mainstream dance pop. The ending was the worst part, generic as generic can be !!!!!

Artistically, this band is dead.

This was totally unexpected. And that's not abnormal for Coldplay. From the snippet I got one vibe and after the drums came in the song totally changed. I'm still not sure what to think right now but I'm really enjoying the funky groove and the return of Guy's bass and Will's drums. The production on this one is good, but I feel like it follows a lot of the popular music nowadays. That's one thing I sort of expected it to be from Chris, but thankfully some of the music on the charts is pretty good so it didn't turn out as bad as it could have been.

For each album I've always been hoping for them, especially Chris, to throwaway their position as a pop band and just give us an album that has no influence from popular music or production of the time. Viva did that and that's why it's such an iconic album in my opinion, because it created its own art-space. Their last three albums have felt like they are following the times rather than exploring ahead of it. I still think this album has enormous potential and will definitely be better than Ghost Stories. I guess I'm just going to have to put away my expectations that Coldplay will be anything other than pop, but I still get great pleasure from listening to new Coldplay.

To summarize (:D), this song was left field, but not in the way I expected. Still an amazing song, production and energy wise, but totally not the vibe I was getting from the snippet and from what it seemed like they were going to put out. I can see this song staying on radio for a while and this album might be one of their better ones.

Awful. I couldn't tell it apart from any other chart pop crap that's 24 h on the radio. No real melody. All typical elements of mainstream dance pop. The ending was the worst part, generic as generic can be !!!!!

:(

Coldplay + Disco was a combination I had not even considered or even thought before. It's a great sounding track; very colorful and definitely very "groovy" as most people have put it. I do have to say, the lyrics are rather weird and a bit hard to understand outside the general jist of "I like you alot, and we need to be together". Coming off the back of the much more mature and artful Ghost Stories, it seems either the artful charge the band had with the last album had left them, or maybe they've put in the extra effort to emulate disco music's typically shoddy lyricism :laugh3:

In my honest opinion, it's a lovely track, but not one of the best things that Coldplay's done. One thing that worries me, now, is whether or not A Head Full of Dreams will be Coldplay's very own Hot Space; an experiment in dance music that'll go sour pretty quickly. :worried:

I expect a lot of people to give you bad rep for posting this, but honestly, I agree. After VLV, they've seemed lost artistically. I liked GS for what it was, but I'm not sure how much longer I can defend the band if this is what they are now. I wouldn't even be able to tell this was Coldplay if I didn't recognize Chris Martin's voice, that's sad to me because they once made some great unique music.

What do you get when you put Rock+Funk together? = Adventure of Lifetime, I guess this is not what 'oldplayers' were hoping for. But it proves yet again that Coldplay are such an inspiring band who never repeat themselves and grow with each album. They always go out of their comfort zones and it works! This is something we were really not expecting and it's great! The bass is so amazing and groovy, Will's (real) drums Jonny's guitar and Chris' voice just work. It might sound like a standard pop song but if you listen carefully, all these different layers of music, the rocky elements as well as the poppy onces make this song definitely a winner!

This is the first time that a Coldplay song really warrants a separate review of the music and the lyrics.

The music finds the band reinventing themselves in unexpected ways. It's a funky track with a great hook just before the chorus. You can really feel the whole band taking part in the song, each member adding its own signature to the upbeat track. Jonny's riff is addicting, Will's rhythm is flawless and Guy's bass just dresses the song up to perfection. Chris's voice is kind of different to previous songs, but in a good way. He seems in really good shape.

The lyrics, though, are substandard. Coming from the same man who years ago gave us tracks such as The Scientist and Viva la Vida, these lyrics are too obvious and seem to be written just for the purpose of dressing an upbeat song. There is no real message behind the song and for Coldplay, that is something to regret.

Time will tell if the song stands. For now, I will rate it with a 5/10.

It's not a good Coldplay song. It's not a good song either. It was definitely better than what I thought, but it's still really not great. It's too repetitive (irony: "it's") and the lyrics are not so great. If Coldplay were still experimenting and recovering from MX and GS, I think they've gone too far now. The only way this song can even shine is live.

Coldplay have devolved from one of the greatest bands into just another typical pop band, which is really saying something about the music industry.

Here's the thing. Before, I used to be able to listen to a Coldplay song and immediately fall in love with it. Now, I have to grow to like it. I'm growing to like this one, just like I had to with some songs on Ghost Stories and especially MX. That worries me for the band. I love them. I love their music and I support them but to go after the lowest common denominator worries me. Like stated above, without Chris's voice, it doesn't sound like...them.

Here's the thing. Before, I used to be able to listen to a Coldplay song and immediately fall in love with it. Now, I have to grow to like it.

That has happened for most every Coldplay song from Pre-Parachutes up through now, so I'll have to listen to it a few more times before writing a review.

• Like 1

hmm yea I can see this point of view too. I am sad for that to be happening. I keep wishing for a return to their old sound, Ghost Stories gave me hope but they keep going even more pop every time. I'll still keep holding on for hope of their return to their old sound :(

But for now I was happy that I did enjoy this track so much! I'm nervous about the rest of the album though if it is all pop like this...i'm hoping I like it, and that there's some sort of classic Coldplay in there somewhere

I second most of what's been said in this thread. The song itself is OK, not the worst thing ever and hardly the worst song this band have put out, but Coldplay are capable of so much better than this. I only hope that Coldplay can get this dance obsession out of their system with AHFOD and refresh with something interesting on LP8.