✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

#AOAL - Please post your review

stephen

Okay *sighs* here it goes my review about AOAL and the whole album thats gonna come soon..

I was away all day yesterday until by the time I came home late night and saw people's negative and positive comments about the song. When I had my first listen, I was really, really, like really at the negative side, I was just VERY disappointed how this new single turned out. It was far away from my expectation, it did not feel it was Coldplay who sang the song, it just went like I was very upset about how Coldplay wanted to go to this direction. I couldnt explain how surprised I was. My face turned from :) to :bigcry: *Well okay that sounds like too much now haha*

And then I replayed it again, and again, and again. And this morning I had a chance to listen to the song on the headphones and guess what, I was beginning to like it BUT only Guy's bass part on 'I feeeeeel my heart beaaaaating' and the rest of the song is like uhm, it's alright. I mean I agreed with some Coldplayers say this song is funky/groovy with the Daft Punk elements sorta thing. I agree with that. But I feel that, in terms of marketing perspective, this is the way of how Coldplay wanted to promote their album by making one song that is mainstream and people will remember a.k.a unforgettable in a long term. If we're talking about Yellow, Clocks, or even ETIAW. Those songs are still alive today. Even, for example, Coldplay will be no longer to be a band (Please don't, this is just an example :P), these singles from the past will be a long-term remembered.

So in conclusion, the song is definitely catchy, yes. It will be a mainstream song that everyone will listen to, yes. It will be popular, yes. It will hit the #1 chart, yes. But I could imagine what if like Foster The People / Daft Punk or even Pharell Williams himself sings this song. Oh man, if that happens, I'm going to love how cool the song is and it will be much better than Coldplay themselves (Sorry boys!).

BUT, I'm still very excited about the whole album. I'm sure I'm going to love at least the rest of them. Amazing Day and AOAL are alright. Probably I'm still in the 'Indie music' zone right now (Thanks to Pandora, I love you tons).

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay *sighs* here it goes my review about AOAL and the whole album thats gonna come soon..

I was away all day yesterday until by the time I came home late night and saw people's negative and positive comments about the song. When I had my first listen, I was really, really, like really at the negative side, I was just VERY disappointed how this new single turned out. It was far away from my expectation, it did not feel it was Coldplay who sang the song, it just went like I was very upset about how Coldplay wanted to go to this direction. I couldnt explain how surprised I was. My face turned from :) to :bigcry: *Well okay that sounds like too much now haha*

And then I replayed it again, and again, and again. And this morning I had a chance to listen to the song on the headphones and guess what, I was beginning to like it BUT only Guy's bass part on 'I feeeeeel my heart beaaaaating' and the rest of the song is like uhm, it's alright. I mean I agreed with some Coldplayers say this song is funky/groovy with the Daft Punk elements sorta thing. I agree with that. But I feel that, in terms of marketing perspective, this is the way of how Coldplay wanted to promote their album by making one song that is mainstream and people will remember a.k.a unforgettable in a long term. If we're talking about Yellow, Clocks, or even ETIAW. Those songs are still alive today. Even, for example, Coldplay will be no longer to be a band (Please don't, this is just an example :P), these singles from the past will be a long-term remembered.

So in conclusion, the song is definitely catchy, yes. It will be a mainstream song that everyone will listen to, yes. It will be popular, yes. It will hit the #1 chart, yes. But I could imagine what if like Foster The People / Daft Punk or even Pharell Williams himself sings this song. Oh man, if that happens, I'm going to love how cool the song is and it will be much better than Coldplay themselves (Sorry boys!).

BUT, I'm still very excited about the whole album. I'm sure I'm going to love at least the rest of them. Amazing Day and AOAL are alright. Probably I'm still in the 'Indie music' zone right now (Thanks to Pandora, I love you tons).

I agree with you. Didn't like it at first but it's growing on me now and it's really quite catchy.

The lyrics are forgettable but Jonny and Guy stand out and I really enjoyed the part they played in it.

Didn't like it at first but it's growing on me now and it's really quite catchy.

When you said it's really quite catchy, do you begin to like the song? :lol:

Because myself is so-so. I wasnt like so excited when listening to it compared to ETIAW because this entire song leads to a very different direction from what they have done in the past.

5/5: Adventure of a Lifetime is honestly a perfect song in my eyes. To the person who said earlier that they had no idea why someone would give the song a perfect score since it would mean it's up with the likes of legendary bands/songs, I'll give you an idea: people have different, wide-ranging tastes that are as valid as your own. What I call perfect (this song), you might think is sub-par (because it's your taste!). What you call perfect (Bohemian Rhapsody, Rolling Stones), I could care no less about (because it's my taste!). I can describe as perfect whatever song or band makes me feel a certain way (a way that's unique to me and is indescribable); something I deem amazing, of quality, makes me smile, and never fails to bring my mood up - and this song is that. I can jam out to a fun disco pop song (and yes, with meh lyrics even) and have the time of my life at shows when its played while the next song I listen to has as much meaningfulness as the next pre-MX coldplay song mentioned and get this...enjoy them just the same! Not everyone can do that, and I understand that because t a s t e s and o p i n i o n s exist. I have no idea why some can't get this through their minds. You can post your opinion (however negative or positive it is) without having to call into question other's definition of what they think is a "perfect" song or a "perfect" band or even a "terrible" song or a "terrible" band (it goes both ways!!), subjectivity is an amazing thing. Hopefully this comes across as contributing to the conversation and not as an attack because that is the least of my intentions.

/ rant

This is a strange phenomenon that I've weirdly only ever come across here. Most people realise it goes without saying that what everyone's posts are their own opinion and there is no right or wrong. Clearly people have different tastes and all are valid but it's kind of the point of discussion to call other people's into question. If we all just sat here going "I disagree but whatever, happy days :) :) :)" it'd be very boring indeed (IMO).

My point was that a 10/10 score signifies a classic, a perfect song in he highest echelons of music (btw I said Like a Rolling Stone, not The Rolling Stones -never get Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger mixed up lol ;)) and that it blows my mind people think Adventure of a Lifetime belongs there too. Obviously it's their opinion and totally valid but so is mine and I should be allowed to post it.

Just imagine an IMO after every sentence.

Subjectivity is the reason we're all here, it becomes amazing when we can discuss other people's ideas - which, when done meaningfully, means questioning them too.

To clarify, by no means do I hate this song. I think it's a pretty good dance track - but I expect more from Coldplay than decent dance-pop. Maybe that expectation is misplaced these days.

When you said it's really quite catchy, do you begin to like the song? :lol:

Because myself is so-so. I wasnt like so excited when listening to it compared to ETIAW because this entire song leads to a very different direction from what they have done in the past.

Yeah, I am beginning to like it. :)

I think that just because this song is very different, it doesn't mean the rest of the album will be this way.

Look at Amazing Day and AOAL. They're two very different songs.

I doubt the entire album will be like AOAL. However, I do expect to see a bit more of the funk and groove that AOAL has in it brought into the rest of the album. Perhaps not as much though.

My review:

Pros:

• It's catchy
  • It's new
  • Lots of energy

Cons:

• Forgettable lyrics
  • Hard to recognise it's a Coldplay song

7/10 for me

My review:

Pros:

It's catchy

It's new

Lots of energy

Cons:

Forgettable lyrics

Hard to recognise it's a Coldplay song

Interestingly, this is what I have been thinking about too. The music could be unforgettable but the lyrics is.

And that one I highlight in bold, yes. I still cant think of how different they are playing with different music. I barely recognize it is a Coldplay song.

Instead of a normal review- I'll post an experience that happened tonight.

I went out on a date to the movies with this girl. Only the 2nd time we went out and we had a pretty good time. We went back to her place then realized we were hungry. She had been putting back shots because it's her birthday. I was only drinking coffee and I was pretty wired. We asked her roommate who had just gotten home...from hanging out with her bf, if she wanted to come along and she did.

So as I was driving - the roommate in the backseat asked me if I had heard this song ( don't remember the name of it playing...) I said "no, but let me ask you what you think of this.." Then I put on AOAL .. Well, I naturally started singing along... then both of them...naturally started dancing and grooving... we all started just....having a blast. Then as it got near the end.. I started holding a pretening mic- singing "whooo ohhh" ...then pointed the mic at them...and without skipping a beat.. they came in repeating with the 2nd "whooo ohhhh" ...and it was just...amazing!!

So fun!!!!

When Coldplay plays this song live... if they do that too... sing one of the "whoo ohhhs" and let the crowd sing the other...and do a back-and-forth... it's just going to be so interactive and amazing.

So yes, I very much love this song. I don't really think it's any more poppy than ETIAW, and the lyrics are certainly better. And it just has this amazing energy. You can just tell Chris is having the time of his life. And .... uhh...I'm just. That's all. It's been a great night. And I leave you guys to it.

This is great!! Did your friends know it was Coldplay right away or were they like "No Way?"

Guest howyousawtheworld
This is a strange phenomenon that I've weirdly only ever come across here. Most people realise it goes without saying that what everyone's posts are their own opinion and there is no right or wrong. Clearly people have different tastes and all are valid but it's kind of the point of discussion to call other people's into question. If we all just sat here going "I disagree but whatever, happy days :) :) :)" it'd be very boring indeed (IMO).

My point was that a 10/10 score signifies a classic, a perfect song in he highest echelons of music (btw I said Like a Rolling Stone, not The Rolling Stones -never get Bob Dylan and Mick Jagger mixed up lol ;)) and that it blows my mind people think Adventure of a Lifetime belongs there too. Obviously it's their opinion and totally valid but so is mine and I should be allowed to post it.

Subjectivity is the reason we're all here, it becomes amazing when we can discuss other people's ideas - which, when done meaningfully, means questioning them too.

To clarify, by no means do I hate this song. I think it's a pretty good dance track - but I expect more from Coldplay than decent dance-pop. Maybe that expectation is misplaced these days.

I agree that 10/10 should only be given in the rarest of times (although I wouldn't call Bohemian Rhapsody one - overplay of a song can make it less great in my eyes and that is one of many by Queen) and there are a handful in Coldplay's career. Of Coldplay's material 10/10 would be Don't Panic, The Scientist, Amsterdam, Politik, A Rush Of Blood To The Head (sweet jesus - AROBTTH really was truly outstanding!) Square One, Strawberry Swing. Off the top of my head those are the handful of Coldplay songs I'd call 10/10 and in fairness to them most acts wouldn't get that amount of top marks. That's brilliant in my opinion and I can think maybe U2, Radiohead, The Smiths, Beatles and The Kinks who have as many or more than that which underlines Coldplay's quality.

Exactly, once again you're totally right. If we go to a discussion forum, well basically the aim is to discuss with other people, exchanging ideas, debating about things, to agree with some people, to disagree with others, etc.

I don't want this forum to be a place where everyone posts sweetened things and never really react on other's opinion because finally they are as valid as their own. If everyone's opinion isn't debatable because it's subjective, well, what's the point to even talk ?

And about AOAL, even if I'm sad of the evolution of Coldplay here, the song's kinda growing on me. It's a good track to dance to, and the main hook is cool. Still, I can't get over the fact that I completely lost the "thoughtful" Coldplay. I mean, before MX we kinda never knew if a song was happy or sad, completely melancholic or completely life affirming. Now it's basically a two-modes Coldplay : Ghost Stories is sad 'cause there's a dark artwork with sad lyrics and ambient moments + slow tempos. MX and AOAL (I fear AHFOD to be like this nearly all along) are happy because there are colours and graffitis and rainbows and more radio hits + many uptempos songs. I'm simplifying a bit (there's always exceptions) but it's quite close.

Just look at VLV, Talk, GPASUYF, IMP, or Violet Hill for example. I couldn't tell if any of these songs are happy or sad. That's what makes them unique, IMO.

Guest howyousawtheworld
To me, this song is absolute, generic, commercial shit. And believe me, I listen to all kinds of music.

I would say that for A Sky Full Of Stars. For sure AOAL is commerical, perhaps generic - but for some reason I think it works quite well.

I would say that for A Sky Full Of Stars. For sure AOAL is commerical, perhaps generic - but for some reason I think it works quite well.

To be completely honest, I used to think that about ASFoS, and while it is commercial to death and was made to be a hit, I believe it is a nice song, which has a warmth to it. To me, AOAL is like Magic, makes no sense at all, and is made for 'crowd-pleasing' only, which I really hate nowadays about Coldplay.

This is great!! Did your friends know it was Coldplay right away or were they like "No Way?"

Well, I said it before I played. I said .. "So not only is today your birthday. Today is a very special day I've been waiting quite some time for... Today is the day... Coldplay's new single dropped."

Haha, and really the only reaction to either of them... was just how infectious and fun the song was. They didn't care would made the song. They were far from Coldplay fans. One was a hippie.. who listened to a bunch of bluegrass bands and ... pink floyd. The other...not too sure. But very likely not ...popular music like that.

And to everyone saying... this is the end of Coldplay, oh meh gurd... save the drama fo yo momma.. This is probably going to be the only song on the album that sounds like this. Think of Amazing Day...sounds nothing like this. So Coldplay started playing around with some sounds...and found something that was really fun...and just ran with that. Oh no...such a tragedy.

Haha, and really the only reaction to either of them... was just how infectious and fun the song was. They didn't care would made the song.

That's the biggest problem, right there. Anyone could have made this song. It's Coldplay mostly because it is Chris' vocal. (and the guitar is Johnny-like, OK.) And it's not about how 'they changed from their usual' it's about how they are changing to 'everybody's usual'. Why lose something deep and 'standout' about yourself, just to appeal to the crowd? Beats me.

The song has one big ace up its sleeve...fun. If you forget that this is a band who once made music like "Warning Sign" and "Trouble" for a while, it's an enjoyable 4 minutes. But an enjoyable 4 minutes is the realm of generic pop stars, something Coldplay should be above. It's easily the weakest of their lead singles to me, and I think that's what worries me -that this is the lead single. It'd be a great album track for a dance-y record, but as the lead single? Underwhelming to say the least. It's growing on me ever so slightly but still a 6/10 at this point.

That's the biggest problem, right there. Anyone could have made this song. It's Coldplay mostly because it is Chris' vocal. (and the guitar is Johnny-like, OK.) And it's not about how 'they changed from their usual' it's about how they are changing to 'everybody's usual'. Why lose something deep and 'standout' about yourself, just to appeal to the crowd? Beats me.

I supposed it does sound like every other band that uses indian-influenced disco laden pop and funk..with Chris's vocal style...and anthemic choral bits...

or we can just go ahead and say... it borrows a lot from all kinds of music- like a lot of already existing Coldplay songs. It's just not the styles you're fond of and it's shocking to you. We get it.