✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think about the future of Coldplay?

hansnl

Is "A Head Full of Dreams" the last Coldplay album?

In this old interview Noel Gallagher talks about this subject, hear what he says: (2:10)

[video=youtube_share;BYZwNwFBUEE]

How do you think about the future of Coldplay?

and what do you expect after A Head Full of Dreams?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will not be their last album. They will either sign on to another label or create their own and continue to make the music they want to do, which I have the feeling will be very mainstream and poppy. Since every album has been different though, it will not have thex exact feel as MX or AHFOD. But they will go on. The only thing I could imagine is them going on hiatus for 1-2 years maybe.

I honestly feel very bad for them. They have no idea they've done irrevocable damage to their legacy.

I hope this whole superficial "happy, poppy" phase is just that, a phase. U2 went through something similar before seeing the error of their ways.

I can maybe see them taking a long break after this album and subsequent tour. Eventually coming back with a low key, acoustic album (a-la Parachutes) and possibly on their own label. One can only dream

I can maybe see them taking a long break after this album and subsequent tour. Eventually coming back with a low key, acoustic album (a-la Parachutes) and possibly on their own label. One can only dream

That's what I had been hoping for, too. But after the two recent statements by Chris stating they wanna break with the concept of having to be a rock band, do you honestly believe there is still a chance of this happening ? :(

They will take a long break after this tour. I'm guessing maybe 5 or 6 years. They need to realize they haven't made anything GREAT since 2008. MX was good, GS was ok. But the greatness that they once had has been totally absent. They can still make great songs though and they know that, they showed it with the song Ghost Story. The thing is that they don't want to. [emoji51]

• Like 1

That's what I had been hoping for, too. But after the two recent statements by Chris stating they wanna break with the concept of having to be a rock band, do you honestly believe there is still a chance of this happening ? :(

He said that he wants to break from having to play the music that is defined in his genre. They are a rock band but he doesn't always want to make rock just because they are called a rock band. Doesn't mean they won't sometime in the future. Plus rock doesn't = good music.

• Like 1

He said that he wants to break from having to play the music that is defined in his genre. They are a rock band but he doesn't always want to make rock just because they are called a rock band. Doesn't mean they won't sometime in the future. Plus rock doesn't = good music.

I think we will get abreak after the tour too, maybe an EP for this album? It sounds like such a creative phase (like Viva) that they might have some extra material to bring out mid-next year. At least I hope so. But then yeah, tour for a year and then take a break and spend time with families. Maybe just dink around in the studio for the next 4-5 years before something new comes out.

I think they'll release an EP during the tour. It sounds like they first began planning AHFOD when MX was just coming out so they probably had a lot of ideas that never made it to the album. The tour will be like the MX tour except the Latin American fans will get their fill of live Coldplay this time. :)

After the tour, they will go on a hiatus for several years. Each member will spend time with his family and will have the opportunity to settle down. Guy will continue with Apparatjik and Chris will feature on a few other artists' songs. In general, the stress of being one of the biggest bands in the world will be temporarily lifted off their shoulders.

As for LP8 at the end of the break... it will be something we don't expect. It will be the start of a new chapter, as Chris hinted, so it sure won't sound like AHFOD Part 2. I doubt they'll record something as adventurous as Kid A or Achtung Baby, but they'll still release something that gets the world's attention and shouts "We're back!!!"

• Like 1

I actually think there is. At the end of the day, Chris says a lot of stuff that doesn't actually mean much. Frankly they are still a quartet that principally plays piano/synths, guitar, bass and drums. To me, that means they will always be some sort of "rock" band with whatever label you want to give it (acoustic, soft, limestone, pop, etc.) I think the two songs of AHFOD so far are great and are technically rock songs with great instrumentation.

Obviously the boys channel a lot of genres for every album, so who knows, maybe in three years they will be burnt out on pop-dance sounds and say "hey, you know what, I really like Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Johny Cash. Hell, lets do that acoustic folk album with Will on vocals!"

I honestly believe that this is a possibility. You can't be the biggest pop-rock band for two decades straight. Eventually they gotta go dad rock like U2 haha

• Like 1

Not sure

Basically I think they're going on a hiatus for a couple of years and probably do random life related stuff. BUT:

I wanna relate to something in this thread earlier:

I am a musician as well and (of course not nearly as successful as they are) and I concerning how good their albums are and what they become I need to say that:

You have to imagine them being musicians. When they were in their early 20s and mid 20s after all that sudden success, you will obviously WRITE music about different/certain things you will not write about in your mid 30s when you have a lot of money and basically all settled.

We all know that a lot of Coldplay songs relate to personal things of Chris and other members of the band (for example Trouble). After all these years you are in the studio every day and you just wanna try new things. You have to see it more from a bandmember/musician perspective, not from a listeners perspective. Because with all the financial freedom and the size of the band, you do not necessarily need to make a certain kind of music to feed your fanbase and satisfy them completely.

Right now, most of them have kids, their lives are settled, no financial worries, a lot of other activities (Chris activism, other bands). It's actually quite easy to understand that Chris especially won't write about being lost in a strange new world, or about the early 20s lovestories etc like on Parachutes.

That's just my thoughts on it :)

• Like 5

Basically I think they're going on a hiatus for a couple of years and probably do random life related stuff. BUT:

I wanna relate to something in this thread earlier:

I am a musician as well and (of course not nearly as successful as they are) and I concerning how good their albums are and what they become I need to say that:

You have to imagine them being musicians. When they were in their early 20s and mid 20s after all that sudden success, you will obviously WRITE music about different/certain things you will not write about in your mid 30s when you have a lot of money and basically all settled.

We all know that a lot of Coldplay songs relate to personal things of Chris and other members of the band (for example Trouble). After all these years you are in the studio every day and you just wanna try new things. You have to see it more from a bandmember/musician perspective, not from a listeners perspective. Because with all the financial freedom and the size of the band, you do not necessarily need to make a certain kind of music to feed your fanbase and satisfy them completely.

Right now, most of them have kids, their lives are settled, no financial worries, a lot of other activities (Chris activism, other bands). It's actually quite easy to understand that Chris especially won't write about being lost in a strange new world, or about the early 20s lovestories etc like on Parachutes.

I know that what you described plays a big role as well, for sure ! :)

But still...

They will take a long break after this tour. I'm guessing maybe 5 or 6 years. They need to realize they haven't made anything GREAT since 2008. MX was good, GS was ok. But the greatness that they once had has been totally absent. They can still make great songs though and they know that, they showed it with the song Ghost Story. The thing is that they don't want to. [emoji51]

GS I feel was an intimate album that somehow got released, because coldplay are coldplay. A solo artist releasing a love album like that probably wouldn't get anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

As a fellow musician, I agree with your analysis. The music I write always reflects how I feel in the moment and that is inevitably the result of where I am in my life right now.

After the longest live tour ever which they will shortly embark upon I predict at least a 2 year hiatus. Then I predict a total surprise comeback! I dont know..I have a feeling they will change it up quite a lot. I think AHFOD was written also in order to be played live cuz they have been missing us so much since 2012 hehe But after this long tour they will have satiated their hunger for live shows (for a little while at least! ) and I think they will yield something different once they are back in the studio.

Kinda reminds me how I felt (and most felt) when Midnight was released as the GS teaser. People were saying wow it doesn't even sound like Coldplay hehe It was such an original song. I personally would love to see them going even more experimental :)

Coldplay wear their collective hearts on a sleeve, always have :) I believe they love to experiment and use the sound of the now for their new ideas. Be it musically or lyrically. Sure they have strayed and may have struggled with keeping quality consistent. But I believe it reflects the point they are in life and feelings derived from it. They are songwriters for the masses yet can be songsmiths for one. Probably they aim to please too much as well. Which is very hit and miss in of itself. You can only make so many happy doing so :)

• Like 1