✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2015-11-26] Chris Martin Interview with Zane Lowe (Beats 1)

oldplayers complaining about AOAL....but this is an average ballad...nothing more...

But there's no woohoos or oooohs and that is great. Besides, it's swell to hear Chris on piano for once and Jonny's little riffs. The percussion is generic as hell, though. Also he only says Everglow twice which is nice.

OMG this is horrible. The average 2000s popsong. It's a ballad, yes, but nothing outstanding or interesting about it.

Somewhat. But you could say that about plenty of X&Y songs- the difference being it's "Oldplay" so that makes it forgivable. This is far better than What If and better than Fix You as well imo.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you could say that about plenty of X&Y songs- the difference being it's "Oldplay" so that makes it forgivable. This is far better than What If and better than Fix You as well imo.

That's not true. What If and Fix You have both got unique vocals, melodies instrumentation and are not full of standard pop tropes. X&Y was when Coldplay still could do outstanding music.

It's simple. It's a nice simple ballad. It's not supposed to be a Fix You or some bombast production. Yes, the things Stargate obviously threw in were a tad annoying (kinda took away the Coldplau feeling for a bit) but it didn't make the track terrible. The vocals were not as perfect as other songs, but they were raw and showed a lot of emotion. I like this song. 7.5/10

um i may be an idiot but the world record part is that a part of the radio show or was it in the song? It sounded like it could have been one of his kids but it confused me lol I heard Gwyneth NO WHERE.. I listened like 5 times unless she is in the distorted back vocals but i was expecting to hear her a little more. I found some words hard to pick out but the ones i did its a really beautiful song and i think it will be amazing live

um i may be an idiot but the world record part is that a part of the radio show or was it in the song? It sounded like it could have been one of his kids but it confused me lol I heard Gwyneth NO WHERE.. I listened like 5 times unless she is in the distorted back vocals but i was expecting to hear her a little more. I found some words hard to pick out but the ones i did its a really beautiful song and i think it will be amazing live

World record is obviously part of the show.

Gwyneth is in the distorted "Hey..Eyyy" that appear throughout.

Guest LiquidSky
There had to be that world record thing at the end!

hahaha! I know right! I was like: "That's not gonna be in the album, right?" lol

WHAT.THE.ACTUAL.FUCK.IS.THIS.SONG ???

Why do I hate it ?

1 : it's based on the same 4 chords than Up&Up and also every freakin pop song from the last 30 years. If all the album is based on these freakin chords I'm gonna die. Litterally. On the floor. Heart attack. How come the members from Coldplay, who KNOW about music/chords etc because they're GOOD musicians, manage to do this poor trick again and again ?

2 : It's just boring because it's a piano/voice based track : sometimes it's beautiful 'cause the song is good. Sometimes it's not coz the song is not. And what Jonny does here is NOT saving the song like it saved Amazing Day or AOAL. And Will's drums are, as HowCouldIForget pointed it before, generic.

3 : Speakin about generic, it actually sounds like a generic Coldplay song. It would be perfect as a live interlude, à la Postcards/Hardest Part. But not on an album that's supposed to be CP's final chapter, something intense and exceptional.

(BUT I must admit that Chris's vocal delivery and the (nearly) lack of ooooohs are quite nice.)

WHAT.THE.ACTUAL.FUCK.IS.THIS.SONG ???

Why do I hate it ?

1 : it's based on the same 4 chords than Up&Up and also every freakin pop song from the last 30 years. If all the album is based on these freakin chords I'm gonna die. Litterally. On the floor. Heart attack. How come the members from Coldplay, who KNOW about music/chords etc because they're GOOD musicians, manage to do this poor trick again and again ?

2 : It's just boring because it's a piano/voice based track : sometimes it's beautiful 'cause the song is good. Sometimes it's not coz the song is not. And what Jonny does here is NOT saving the song like it saved Amazing Day or AOAL. And Will's drums are, as HowCouldIForget pointed it before, generic.

3 : Speakin about generic, it actually sounds like a generic Coldplay song. It would be perfect as a live interlude, à la Postcards/Hardest Part. But not on an album that's supposed to be CP's final chapter, something intense and exceptional.

(BUT I must admit that Chris's vocal delivery and the (nearly) lack of ooooohs are quite nice.)

You hit the nail on the head with point 1 :( Im seriously wondering why this is the case, c'mon Coldplay you are better than this!

That's not true. What If and Fix You have both got unique vocals, melodies instrumentation and are not full of standard pop tropes. X&Y was when Coldplay still could do outstanding music.

Unique? I mean. :thinking: It's just him singing falsetto the whole song unnecessarily. It's too saccharine. There are plenty of "pop" artists who do that. Melodies? What If is just simple piano and then oooo's and a painful wall of sound. At least he's playing something a little more complex here. Fix You's jam at the end is unusual, I will say that. Still sounds bombastic though as much as I like Jonny's guitar.

Coldplay have never operated in a vacuum. And 2000's pop songs are rap and big synth choruses/EDM, not ballads. I know because many songs on the radio make my head want to explode. Piano ballads have been around and popular since the 70's at least. It's not a sudden, new trend.

If you want to talk about what was "popular" back in the early 2000's, there were plenty of bands that sounded like Coldplay. Keane, Muse, Travis, Doves, you name it. It's never been a question of them being crazy original (except during Viva) I'd say. It's just what your taste is and I like piano music. The band isn't new to piano-driven songs or ballads.

- Love the piano throughout and the guitar at the end

- I like the song the most from 2:50 onwards

- Definitely unsure about the production - a bit too much for my liking

- You can definitely tell it's Chris singing!

- I feel like it hints at their ballad-y origins but with a new spin

Overall, I quite like it but I don't love it as much as I was expecting to from the snippet - and that's kind of disappointing as I was probably most curious about Everglow

If all I knew about Coldplay was from reading these forums, I'd think they must be the worst band in the world. You people are downers.

Dude, don't ever go to Arcade Fire's or Muse's official board then x)

Coldplaying is one of the the nicest and the kindest messageboard i've seen for a while.

If all I knew about Coldplay was from reading these forums, I'd think they must be the worst band in the world. You people are downers.

Contrasting opinions on every Coldplay song are an integral part with the amount of diversity they have. Except a few who tend to hate every song that comes out, most of the people here are pretty balanced and unbias.

Don't worry. We are here to appreciate them whenever they deserve it.

Coldplay: Here's a song unlike anything we've done before. It's quite pop and uplifting.

Board: WE WANT ARoBttH 2.0! (myself included ;) )

Coldplay: Here's a song a Coldplay fan would love. It's like our older music (minus the drums).

Board: WE WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT/UNIQUE! THEY'RE JUST REHASHING THEIR 2000's STUFF! THAT'S LAZY!

The guys can't win for losing. :laugh3:

Coldplay: Here's a song unlike anything we've done before. It's quite pop and uplifting.

Board: WE WANT ARoBttH 2.0! (myself included ;) )

Coldplay: Here's a song a Coldplay fan would love. It's like our older music (minus the drums).

Board: WE WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT/UNIQUE! THEY'RE JUST REHASHING THEIR 2000's STUFF! THAT'S LAZY!

The guys can't win for losing. :laugh3:

Yeah, the thing I kinda learned is that whatever the band does, there will always be some backlash. But that goes for anything and everything. You're never gonna have everyone agree on everything. So, just kinda accept that inevitability and choose to be positive.