✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The Ultimate Oldplayers' Music Thread - Music that Oldplayers will like===

I ran away

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Yesssssss.

This next one is honestly the best Coldplay song Chris never got around to writing.... You're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPW8y6woTBI

Oh my gosh, that song is great. I remember hearing that for the first time back in June and just being blown away by the slow and beautiful guitar intro with that hint of delay/echo. The soundscape is amazing, and so is the way it opens itself up to those fantastic lyrics like, "To the outside the dead leaves, they're on the lawn. Before they died, had trees to hang their hope." Lovely song. Had Chris penned something like that for :x&y:, it would've been massive.

I remember hearing that for the first time back in June and just being blown away

I know. It's truly great!

Here's a festive one. This has everything an Oldplayer should love. Haunting acoustic guitar, piano balladry and "bedwetter" lyrics (A badge of pride)

Although I don't relate with the religious interpretation of the song, I believe it's simply a lyrical and musical masterpiece. My favourite Christmas song by a mile.

Hey oldplayers (real music experts). So I listened to the new album for a few days solid last week then haven't since or felt the want to. I went back and listened to it today and there was something about the songs I thought I liked, AHFOD, U&U, Everglow and Birds, they sound totally "off". ok, the rest of the album is poor songs and production but why do the good songs not actually sound enjoyable? Is it the mix and production or is there something else? Very sad but I could delete the full album, never listen to it again and not even care, when I listen to all the classics on the oldplayers music thread, the difference in quality is so striking!

Hey oldplayers (real music experts). So I listened to the new album for a few days solid last week then haven't since or felt the want to. I went back and listened to it today and there was something about the songs I thought I liked, AHFOD, U&U, Everglow and Birds, they sound totally "off". ok, the rest of the album is poor songs and production but why do the good songs not actually sound enjoyable? Is it the mix and production or is there something else? Very sad but I could delete the full album, never listen to it again and not even care, when I listen to all the classics on the oldplayers music thread, the difference in quality is so striking!

Yeah, production and mix are not ideal on several songs and it may also be this "cheap plastic pop" feeling that subtly irritates you.

• Like 2

Guest kmm1482

I've been hearing this quite a lot. If it were a few of us "oldplayers" saying it then it could just be us being grumpy. But loads of people, loving the album or not, have said the same thing.

So much great music in this thread! I just discovered an artist named Andrew Belle--his album Black Bear sounds a lot like what I hoped Coldplay was going to dive into after Viva. A bit of dreamy, experimental work. His lyrical work and voice are just gorgeous in this one:

"Oh I swim in a violet sea

But I’m bending the light connecting you to me

So write a lettre de marque and see

Oh if this dark matter heart can bleed out right"

^ My life would be complete

Chris, if you're not going to write lyrics like you used to anymore, at least take inspiration from this guy:

"Out of the mire we were torn from

Remember

Out of the fire again

But I’m an ember

I hold a banner for you

But it’s upside down

You got a question or two

But I’m tongue tied now"