✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

North American Leg 2017

We do not know the inner workings of what things cost to produce a show like this especially with the Unions in the NY and NJ area which run everything at these venues. I live in the area and everything costs so much here. The parking was $30 alone.

The excuses are starting to sound embarrassing. Saw Paul McCartney recently at Metlife Stadium and U2 many times at the old Giants Stadium and the new one in 2011 for the same $80-$100 I'm talking about.

And to learn more about the 'inner workings' of what costs to produce a show like this, I recommend fans read 'Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped'. Great read.

084a61cd2410d5af3e762521aac4a8b1.jpg

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not work for the band, I am not making excuses for anyone. I am just guessing and looking at both sides. I agree that the prices are very high, but we either buy a ticket or we don't. It is interesting that they have not announced another date for Jersey. I do not think the date has sold out yet. I am hoping they do have another show in the area at another venue, hopefully actually in NY? The new Nassau Coliseum will be opening in the spring so hopefully a date there too.

• Like 1

the big ticket price difference between the US and the other countries for the floor tickets has to also do with the discrepancy in head count when you have arranged seating. it definitely is a better model to earn more in the US. with rich casual fans paying up the big money for the front row seats.

• Like 2

I do not work for the band, I am not making excuses for anyone. I am just guessing and looking at both sides. I agree that the prices are very high, but we either buy a ticket or we don't. It is interesting that they have not announced another date for Jersey. I do not think the date has sold out yet. I am hoping they do have another show in the area at another venue, hopefully actually in NY? The new Nassau Coliseum will be opening in the spring so hopefully a date there too.

I agree with you. And I am not digging deep to find out the "insides" of what tickets should actually cost. Sure, ticket prices are high. Here is the way I look at it. I have tickets for the Chicago show next August....I bought great floor seats and paid $850. This will be my 8th Coldplay concert....every other time I have seen them has been way up top with seats costing me $40. I told myself..."someday I will have floor seats, no matter what the cost." So when they announced another Chicago show.....floor seats I bought! Even thought it cost me $850.....the fact is like you said.....you either buy a ticket or you don't...simply ones choice. You can choose to buy the expensive seats or the cheaper seats!

[emoji441][emoji7][emoji636][emoji446][emoji173]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

-------

@coldplay_lover4 and price defenders are missing entirely the point of the discussion.

It sounds like the fans being blasse /non-chalant about the prices, don't go to a lot of shows around the world and haven't had many front row experiences for Coldplay or other 'great' acts.

The point is not: take it or leave it. If your coldplay or other bands concert standards would be: front row or bust, you'd understand. But of course if you are accustomed to upper level seating then the standard of perception is different.

THE PHOTOS BELOW are my own photos. They are what every fan should expect from a floor ticket. It is the NORMAL everywhere EXCEPT North America's 2017 leg.

Price for this ticket $70. Arrived in line at 5:30 am.

715802010058.jpg

Price for this ticket $90. Arrived in line at 8:00 am.

Screen_Shot_2016_10_20_at_2_36_38_PM.png

• Like 1

-------

@coldplay_lover4 and price defenders are missing entirely the point of the discussion.

It sounds like the fans being blasse /non-chalant about the prices, don't go to a lot of shows around the world and haven't had many front row experiences for Coldplay or other 'great' acts.

The point is not: take it or leave it. If your coldplay or other bands concert standards would be: front row or bust, you'd understand. But of course if you are accustomed to upper level seating then the standard of perception is different.

THE PHOTOS BELOW are my own photos. They are what every fan should expect from a floor ticket. It is the NORMAL everywhere EXCEPT North America's 2017 leg.

Price for this ticket $70. Arrived in line at 5:30 am.

715802010058.jpg

Price for this ticket $90. Arrived in line at 8:00 am.

Screen_Shot_2016_10_20_at_2_36_38_PM.png

I completely understand the point you are making. I am not trying to argue anything with anyone. I am just simply stating that Coldplay themselves do not decide to hike up ticket prices.

I was simply trying to say....the ticket prices....*are what they are* we have the choice to either buy the ticket or not buy the ticket.

Take it from my point of view.....as earlier stated. I have seen Coldplay in concert 7 times....always sitting top of venues in $40 seats. I had decided that someway somehow I was going to see them from the floor seats (close enough to actually see their faces) LOL the tickets I bought were hiked up yes, but I chose to buy those tickets because I really wanted those seats. I could have bought the $40 seats in the top, but I refused to watch another show from way up there. ^^^ [emoji6][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those arguments don't hold water.

First off, Coldplay has virtually the same stage in other countries. (Xylobands and Fireworks included). In Italy a floor ticket is €70 + € 12 in fees. In the South American show I went (Colombia) the floor ticket was the equivalent of USD $80. For that show, I camped at 7:00 am and had front row by Jonny.

The U2 360 Tour (2011) had the most expensive stage design ever built, with a show arguably more impressive than the AHFOD tour. Floor seats were $80. (Live Nation produced as well)

clawhelsinki.jpg

I can go through many more examples, like the ZooTV Tour, Bruce Springsteen's 2014 and 2016 tours, etc etc, where the shows are as good as this with tickets in the floor for under $100 in every case.

Being a fan sometimes means calling out the BS in the bands we love, and lets be real $550 for a seat in the first 25 rows and $850 for a seat in the first 15 rows is CLASS A nonsense.

Thank you for some common sense. I got a floor ticket near B-stage for a total of $225 + fees, a ticket that during the first leg as $179 + fees. So what justifies the hike in prices? Is the show going to be longer? More production elements added? Compare that to the massive production that the U2 360 tour was and I still don't understand the $179 price. These are shows grossing nearly $10 million each. I'm curious to know then what is the net, how much are the production costs taking out of that gross figure? Someone is is trying to create a margin, and if that margin is purely for profit then we have every right to bitch about it.

• Like 1

Thank you for some common sense. I got a floor ticket near B-stage for a total of $225 + fees, a ticket that during the first leg as $179 + fees. So what justifies the hike in prices? Is the show going to be longer? More production elements added? Compare that to the massive production that the U2 360 tour was and I still don't understand the $179 price. These are shows grossing nearly $10 million each. I'm curious to know then what is the net, how much are the production costs taking out of that gross figure? Someone is is trying to create a margin, and if that margin is purely for profit then we have every right to bitch about it.

You are SO right! My husband graciously let me spend the $176 last year for a seat on the disabled platform by B1 (where my original seat was before I knew I would be unable to stand much). So I swam there on 7/23 and saw the 2/3 of a show, minus the best parts at the end and the openers. It was a HUGE deal for me to even make the show physically, and my husband made great sacrifices to get me there and back. So, yeah, I think maybe when I saw people saying the prices went Up and Up and WAY UP, I just gave up this time and decided not to go. For fun, I tried to see what $96 would buy, and it was all the way in back on the 2nd level. This years' show was to have been my one big splurge for a really good seat. I went in 2011 to the United Center and had to switch my top of the house seat for a disabled seat to the side back of the stage on the first level. That was $90 and also a huge deal. Shelling out more than that just didn't seem right to sit in back. Periscope has nice views and the price is right!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This morning I paid airfare from my home in Miami to Barcelona for $600 in February.

It is unacceptable that tickets in the first 25 rows are $850 for a music concert.

Even though i am a top earner in America, I refuse to pay over $225 for a ticket. It is inexcusable.

U2 and Bruce Springsteen's floor tickets are $80-$90.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I paid more than $200 for a floor seat for U2. And I'm in the 5th row for a Coldplay concert and it was only $225 not $850.

• Like 1

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I paid more than $200 for a floor seat for U2. And I'm in the 5th row for a Coldplay concert and it was only $225 not $850.

U2 is GA standing. They dont do floor seats. And yes im sure (Seen U2 36 times since Elevation 2001). So you are either very wrong, or you purchased through a scalper/reseller.

The Floor prices by tour were:

U2 i+e (2015) $70+$16 fees

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

U2 360 (2009-2011) $62

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Vertigo Tour (2005-2006) $51.50 + $7 fees

FullSizeRender.jpg

Elevation Tour (2001) $45 + $6 in fees

s_l500.jpg

Apologies, don't mean to be a pain.

To be honest with you, I expected more pushback from the Coldplay fans about the whole VIP Ticket charade / prices. In reality, its been a handful of us upset, most people seem to have an attitude of: "We'll pay whatever! Just thankful the great Coldplay is gracing us with their presence".

• Like 2

To be honest with you, I expected more pushback from the Coldplay fans about the whole VIP Ticket charade / prices. In reality, its been a handful of us upset, most people seem to have an attitude of: "We'll pay whatever! Just thankful the great Coldplay is gracing us with their presence".

My apologies too. I get why people are upset, but thats the way it is, and there is nothing we can do to change prices. :/

• Like 2

If you were to write an open letter to Coldplay about this, i would totally sign it.

Just don't put it that way. There are things we can't change and I'm not sure we'll be able to do something about it.

• Like 2

If you were to write an open letter to Coldplay about this, i would totally sign it.

I'd sign it, too. I think it would be worth it to get that message to them.

• Like 1

U2 is GA standing. They dont do floor seats. And yes im sure (Seen U2 36 times since Elevation 2001). So you are either very wrong, or you purchased through a scalper/reseller.

The Floor prices by tour were:

U2 i+e (2015) $70+$16 fees

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

U2 360 (2009-2011) $62

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Vertigo Tour (2005-2006) $51.50 + $7 fees

FullSizeRender.jpg

Elevation Tour (2001) $45 + $6 in fees

s_l500.jpg

That's weird, because I purchased them through ticketmaster.com for their TD Garden show last year. When I said seat, I meant being on the floor, sitting or standing.

I made this, but I don't know if it will change anything. https://www.change.org/p/coldplayers-coldplay-lower-ticket-prices

Good one, thanks for starting it. Although I am not sure if change.org is the right platform for such a specific thing.

Maybe we could also think of a longer and more detailed text together in order to attract more signatories. (And yeah, since it is nothing official let's not mention the name of a fansite where I sometimes have the impression that anything remotely critical of Coldplay is generally frowned upon. Which i find sad because I love this community... :( For the record, complaining about the prices doesn't mean we love the band any less, and I don't think being a fan means you have to support their every move. Also for the record, i don't expect any change, but it doesn't harm to let them know that prices are a bit heavy. I understand why Coldplaying HQ doesnt want to see its name on it though.)

I am not searching to pick a fight here, just voicing my feelings.

• Administrators
Good one, thanks for starting it. Although I am not sure if change.org is the right platform for such a specific thing.

Maybe we could also think of a longer and more detailed text together in order to attract more signatories. (And yeah, since it is nothing official let's not mention the name of a fansite where I sometimes have the impression that anything remotely critical of Coldplay is generally frowned upon. Which i find sad because I love this community... :( For the record, complaining about the prices doesn't mean we love the band any less, and I don't think being a fan means you have to support their every move. Also for the record, i don't expect any change, but it doesn't harm to let them know that prices are a bit heavy. I understand why Coldplaying HQ doesnt want to see its name on it though.)

If you guys are going to make a petition, I suggest going to Live Nation or ticketmaster. Sadly the band can't really so much about this, the promoters are mainly responsible for this. I don't care what our users do, I just don't want our name being associated with it. I try to keep our relations with the band on good terms!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

Please take down that petition. You have no permission to use the Coldplaying name and it makes us look bad.

As far as tickets go, I think the prices are reasonable.

Those Change.Org petitions are not the way to go. I would find the corporate people at Live Nation in charge of this and even contact Arthur Fogel (CEO) himself. I may actually start this soon. Besides, we dont want the prices to change this tour, too late for that. What we want is to bring light to the issue for the future.

And don't worry [uSER=100956]@Stephen[/uSER] the 'Coldplaying' name would not be used. That said, its sad to know that you want to make this the type of fansite where we can't be critical of the band we love. We care about it, good AND bad. Coldplay fans we are educated, many of us married, in corporate finance etc. We are not One Direction tweens who idolize their heroes.

. For the record, complaining about the prices doesn't mean we love the band any less, and I don't think being a fan means you have to support their every move. Also for the record, i don't expect any change, but it doesn't harm to let them know that prices are a bit heavy. I understand why Coldplaying HQ doesnt want to see its name on it though.)

100% right. You don't have to defend your common sense.