✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hypnotised - first song off Kaleidoscope

I ran away

The car is absolutely my top choice for first listen. I had a great sound system installed in my car a few year ago (right after VLV came out actually) and it's been worth every penny. It's such an immersive feel, plus I love driving. I've had that car in pieces since May so it's painful not having it for all these new music moments. I'm driving my dad's car now though and it has a nice Bose system, albeit with a speaker disconnected due to amp issues ... I can't complain. But yeah, I'm already dreaming of the day I can crank this on my favorite speakers and with nice clean bass, oh man it will be divine.

Nice! The sound system installed in our vehicle is actually just the one that came with it but it still sounds so freaking amazing. I totally agree, a completely immersive feeling and it is my favorite place to listen to music by far - it's pretty much the only place for me, in fact. I can imagine tearing up to this song on a nice summer evening driving somewhere in the country... can't wait

I have always felt that Chris is one of the greatest melodist ever. If you take the time to just pay attention to a lot of his vocal melodies, they are truly amazing. I really love the vocal melody in Hypnotised.

This is one of the greatest reasons why I love this band. Their melodies are absolutely gorgeous and it boggles my mind how they keep making these great but original melodies that touch the deepest parts of your soul. I try to do it but I just can't do it nearly as well. Then again, the boys have been at it for much longer than me, sooooooo

That's one of the main reasons why I love Coldplay :)

By the way, it has been mentioned a few times now already, but I also love the way the drumming subtly sneaks into the song halfway through ! That transition is so well done.

I know right? There's only another song I know of that does that and I can't think of the name right now but that is just one out of many unique and beautiful moves done here in this song. Absolutely mind boggling, this song.. it feels incredibly well done, rich and full... I wish AHFOD had more songs like this, like Fun and Amazing Day, those two especially I know you like as well... AHFOD would have been absolutely amazing then, I still like the album but if it were different in some ways I would have liked it much more...

I can see the band take this approach during their 2017 tours. Wouldn't be surprised if they replace Amazing Day with this as well..

Well hopefully that doesn't happen... I really want that song to stay as much as I like this new one. Hopefully they don't stop playing it.

*has listened to the song a lot of times by now*

Okay I still cringe at the lyrics. Anyone else with me? Am I the only asshole around here? =D

Those lines where he goes

"Now I'm hyp, hypnotised

Yeah I trip, when I look in your eyes

Oh I'm hyp, hypnotised

Yeah I slip and I'm mesmerized"

seem cringe a bit when I look at it but the more I look at lines of the song the more I smile and almost want to laugh so I guess it's best to not pay too much attention to it... and just let the music play and don't worry too much about it for me... lol

• Like 1

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do Chris's vocals actually sound so good on this ? Is it an issue of production, or...?

Because his voice has been sounding so scratchy/raspy and his falsetto not so clean in large parts of GS and AHFOD, so I wonder how he managed this vocal performance here :)

• Like 2

This song flows weirdly well into Amazing Day, like the strings part at the end of hypnotized is a lot like Amazing Day's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel this song is like Amazing Day but way more complex in everything... I still really like Amazing Day though.

One complaint I have is the end of the song, I do wish the ending was more like Amazing Day where the strings would gradually fade instead of them rather abruptly stopping here. Wish I knew enough about editing to somehow change that...

• Like 4

I was actually curious if there might be more guitar playing in Hypnotised than that we actually hear :D

So... I've been listening very very carefully to the song and I have to say that there is someone playing an acoustic guitar (probably Chris or Jonny) which is hidden behind all those other sounds. You probably noticed there is an acoustic guitar playing during the first time when Chris sings ''Now I'm hyp, hypnotised, yeah I trip when I look in your eyes, oh I'm hyp, hypnotised''. After that, when Will comes in, the acoustic guitar is pretty much not to hear anymore, except for some moments. It starts from 2:34. I noticed that in between there is a small riff being played on the acoustic guitar, 5 times in total. One at 2:35 - same one at 2:39 - again the same one at 2:47. Now a different one with higher notes at 2:51 and this same riff again at 2:55. As a fan of Jonny's, I would say almost certainly that Jonny's the one that wrote this small riffs in between the song.

Think about Violet Hill or Everglow. What I'm trying to say is, that I think that those riffs are typical Jonny.

And there is more acoustic guitar during the ''threading the needle.....'' part. (not quite sure how you call this part of the song), about 2:58 ---- 3:27. And after this, not very clear, there are just chords being played (on the acoustic guitar).

• Like 4

I've been listening very very carefully to the song and I have to say that there is someone playing an acoustic guitar (probably Chris or Jonny) which is very hidden behind all those other sounds. You probably noticed there is an acoustic guitar playing during the first time when Chris sings ''Now I'm hyp, hypnotised, yeah I trip when I look in your eyes, oh I'm hyp, hypnotised''. After that, when Will comes in, the acoustic guitar is pretty much not to hear anymore, except for some moments. It starts from 2:34. I noticed that in between there is a small riff being played on the acoustic guitar, 5 times in total. One at 2:35 - same one at 2:39 - again the same one at 2:47. Now a different one with higher notes at 2:51 and this same riff again at 2:55. As a fan of Jonny's, I would say almost certainly that Jonny's the one that wrote this small riffs in between the song.

Think about Violet Hill or Everglow. What I'm trying to say is, that I think that those riffs are typical Jonny.

And there is more acoustic guitar during the ''threading the needle.....'' part. (not quite sure how you call this part of the song), about 2:58 ---- 3:27. And then, not very clear, there are just chords being played on the acoustic guitar.

I like the little things like these that one may not notice for a month, but all of a sudden when listening to the song really closely pick up on those things. One of the vast number of problems with modern pop music is that everything is just too "obvious", by that I mean there's nothing really hidden deep down that isn't meant to be heard on the first few listens. It comes after a while of listening and upon hearing those things it's almost like you get a fresh version of the song almost and it's replayability is vastly improved due to this. Typical pop has none of this, and so while it may be catchy for a few weeks it's then replaced by the next disposable big hit. Then the same will happen to that one and the next will come along... back in the day songs were so much more complex, deep, rich, and meaningful, and actually required a bit of an attention span, today's pop music is made for people with an attention span less than the number of letters in their first name in seconds. There's a reason why older music is timeless, one of my favorite examples is "Baba O'Riley". No joke, I thought this was a song made in the 2000's until I wanted to get it and discovered this was a song made in 1971. It completely blew me away that a song from that long ago was still being played on radio normally, or at least at the time. For those who don't know it's that "teenage wasteland" song, I'm sure a lot don't know the real name of it. But it's a masterpiece. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. I feel part of the reason why music sounds so similar nowadays and doesn't have any of this deeper content to it is the way music making software is set up nowadays, and the availability of it. Back in the day you needed to get really lucky to even think of making an actual professional album, you needed to go to a professional studio (which only a very lucky few got to do), nothing was digital back then, etc... you were really on your own, there was no such thing as presets or loops or any of that. It was up to the person using these things to be innovative and find the best way to make a really good song. It took effort and work. I read an article on The Beatles' recording technology not too long ago and I was blown away at some of the things they did that seemed so innovative and unique. A lot of the experimentation was actually hands on and numerous faults and quirks in their equipment were actually used to their advantage to create new songs that would have never otherwise been made before. Fast forward to today, and everything is literally spoon fed to you, there are tons of factory presets and loops to choose from in digital software nowadays which can get a good vibe going really quick but does not encourage experimentation of any sort. Music can be made in hours nowadays because of these new advances, but at the end of the day it still takes longer and takes thought to make deeper richer music nowadays, with these subtle noises that only get picked up in time just like with this acoustic guitar example in Coldplay's new song. I'm pretty sure there's even more in there that we'll discover with more listens. I'm glad Coldplay didn't take the obvious route and slap together a bunch of presets and loops to produce the biggest next pop hit in a couple of hours with this song. You can hear and tell this took time and thought to put together... there's a bunch of fancy words I would use to describe this song but I simply can't find them. Either way, these types of songs are incredibly rare nowadays, and to hear one from a band that's been going much poppier as of recent years is a very pleasent surprise. This song alone feels much more complete and well thought out than any of AHFOD's songs, easily. I feel the best direction for Coldplay would to make more songs like this that really push the boundaries of pop music, taking influences from older bands while also innovating and finding new sounds - especially in the intro and outro, those sounds I've either never heard before or have heard very few times. I hope Coldplay continues to develop this direction more instead of falling down the mainstream generic bland electropop hole. Who knows, maybe another song like this will be a smash hit and change pop music forever. It's about time that someone vastly changed the popular musical following once more.

• Like 2

back in the day songs were so much more complex, deep, rich, and meaningful, and actually required a bit of an attention span, today's pop music is made for people with an attention span less than the number of letters in their first name in seconds.

I think that the music industry follows today's world : songs are ephemeral products made for consumers who buy it, listen to it then throw it and replace it with new one.

We live in a world where everything is quickly trendy then forgotten.

• Like 1

I was actually curious if there might be more guitar playing in Hypnotised than that we actually hear :D

So... I've been listening very very carefully to the song and I have to say that there is someone playing an acoustic guitar (probably Chris or Jonny) which is hidden behind all those other sounds. You probably noticed there is an acoustic guitar playing during the first time when Chris sings ''Now I'm hyp, hypnotised, yeah I trip when I look in your eyes, oh I'm hyp, hypnotised''. After that, when Will comes in, the acoustic guitar is pretty much not to hear anymore, except for some moments. It starts from 2:34. I noticed that in between there is a small riff being played on the acoustic guitar, 5 times in total. One at 2:35 - same one at 2:39 - again the same one at 2:47. Now a different one with higher notes at 2:51 and this same riff again at 2:55. As a fan of Jonny's, I would say almost certainly that Jonny's the one that wrote this small riffs in between the song.

And there is more acoustic guitar during the ''threading the needle.....'' part. (not quite sure how you call this part of the song), about 2:58 ---- 3:27. And after this, not very clear, there are just chords being played (on the acoustic guitar).

I have an OOPS version. Will put it in the MM section.

Could be useful for your investigation. [emoji4]

• Like 1

I think that the music industry follows today's world : songs are ephemeral products made for consumers who buy it, listen to it then throw it and replace it with new one.

We live in a world where everything is quickly trendy then forgotten.

[spoiler=Read if you want, long and off topic but informative]Yeah, that also bugs me too. The world has changed from a long time ago where you had to be more resourceful and couldn't just replace whatever you have if even there was a minor problem, to continous upgrades even when what you have now is perfectly fine, an example are the iPhones, come on let's admit we don't need the latest iPhone every time a new one comes out or if it becomes a bit laggy. That's part of the reason why resources are being depleted so rapidly and there are many problems, we just keep on wanting and consuming without paying a single thought to the collective affects it has when everyone does it... Us, the consumer are part of the problem... if we would all make a conscious effort to fix what's broken, hold on to things for as long as possible instead of immediately disposing of what we have if we can get more or there's a better version of what we have, or there's a minor problem with it.. the problem is, that's what they want us to do so they get more money. Also, there's no way we can send a message to every single person in the world, and even if we could expect them all to think logically and follow... it's so sad how so many have become so easily manipulated by these companies to throw their money at them. It's unfortunately the way the world is set up now... what scares me is, for how much more time is the general public going to do this and never realize the impact their rampant consumerism is having... for one, they're spending way more much money then they actually need... They could have way more money if they took a step back and really thought if they needed it or not... also, you know anything like phones for example, that requires resources... and those resources are not limited... and you also need to get those resources somehow, for example mining the raw material... and in some countries where it is done there is little to no regulation at all, causing numerous environmental issues.... even where there is it still isn't completely clean... the actual factories themselves take up space too, and I'm sure there is a ton considering how many individual phones there are... don't forget they need to be shipped as well... just so many factors to think about here, and the more we consume the more we indirectly support and fuel these problems that one day could come back to bite us where you know where... The point is, when is enough people going to stop and seriously think about their buying behaviour like this... where it actually starts to alarm them that they can't buy as rampantly as they are without consequences formed from collectively doing it... and enough people will learn from this that overall sales will slow down enough that there aren't quite as many made and thus every side affect it causes slows down with it... People will actually start holding on to these things to where it can't be fixed instead of throwing perfectly good products away... I mean, so many people choose the latter behavior, where does all that go... I hope the world takes note of this as a whole sooner rather than later. The question is, we all need to realize this before it's too late if you know what I mean... when will it all happen? Because it needs to. Unfortunately technology keeps progressing farther and farther on, and some of us get distracted by it...On the bright side, better technology that can be made cleaner is being introduced, so we need to buy those options like solar panels and things like that and support the development of that... because it could save us all.

Sorry for the rant like post everyone, not to mention off topic...

• Like 2

One complaint I have is the end of the song, I do wish the ending was more like Amazing Day where the strings would gradually fade instead of them rather abruptly stopping here. Wish I knew enough about editing to somehow change that...

Would this ending be more to your liking, @cp3176 ? ;)

https://mega.nz/#!uEAmnZjL!wGAU8pAkVh4MvvzJGBdJgDTZ29fFK5nCnJ_p9xEaCGo

Wow.

This is probably the most creative thing they've done in a very, very long time. I can't see how some people call it "bland" and "generic", the only thing that is so about this song is the the first set of lyrics in the chorus. I absolutely love how this song builds up, and especially in the last 2 minutes I was bordering on tears.

Artistically, Coldplay have proven with this song that "Everything's Not Lost". As much as I like songs like "Something Just Like This" I will admit songs like what Coldplay have released for us today sound so much more unique, talented, and original. While I really do enjoy their collab with Chainsmokers, it sounds very unoriginal in comparison to this masterpiece. I am seeing Oldplayers all over that are super excited about this song.

This type of production is what AHFOD was meant to be. I feel Stargate's production really held the band back from what this era was meant to be. With no Stargate, Coldplay are able to make masterpieces like this that truly mesmerize us.. I think this is the "dreamy production" that we were all hoping for from this era.

I hope this song gets #1 and truly revolutionizes the future of pop music forever. Yes, there are definitely pop elements in here but it's presented in such a unique style... I can't find many songs that sound like this, and along with the emotional aspect of this Coldplay truly scored big here. Other than a few of the lyrics, nothing in this song sounds bland or generic in any way, shape, or form to my ears... all I hear is what we all wanted from AHFOD.

I am hoping for more of this for the future in Coldplay. I seen how some people thought that this EP would likely show no progression from AHFOD... I knew there would because at this point the rest of the songs will be released almost exactly a year and a half after the album came out.

Absolutely fantastic job boys.

I am in complete agreeance with you. Especially in regards to this is how AHFOD could have sounded if not for Stargate's production. I didn't expect them to return for Kaleidoscope, but it's a welcomed news to see such a moody, dreamy sound that sounds clean and natural.

• Like 1

Yeah I try but my brain always zooms right in when Chris says "I'M HYP".

Kinda hart to tune that lyrical gold out LOL

I guess I don't understand how "bad" the lyrics are. I'm the first to admit their lyrics have been often lackluster the past few years, but there isn't anything in this song that screams regression or 'bad'. Regarding the 'hyp, hypnotized': that is a very, very common tactic used in songwriting, and artists from all over the genre board use this -- not just 'pop' artists/bands. It's not my favorite, but it works well with Hypnotised.

• Like 2

I guess I don't understand how "bad" the lyrics are. I'm the first to admit their lyrics have been often lackluster the past few years, but there isn't anything in this song that screams regression or 'bad'. Regarding the 'hyp, hypnotized': that is a very, very common tactic used in songwriting, and artists from all over the genre board use this -- not just 'pop' artists/bands. It's not my favorite, but it works well with Hypnotised.

Chris uses this technique on the most unfitting words, such as

"Para para"

"wa wa wa"

"hyp"

that's what's bothering me. Not to mention this song would totally work without that splitting up of the word.

Also I'm not saying the lyrics are bad. I like what he's trying to convey. But the words are not very artfullly chosen or lyrically in-depth.

And I know Chris can word nicely! I think "Only Superstition" is a good example, or "Highspeed". Or basically most of the early songs.

Kind of like the acoustic guitar buried in Birds!

• Like 3

"Para para"

"wa wa wa"

"hyp"

that's what's bothering me. Not to mention this song would totally work without that splitting up of the word.

Also I'm not saying the lyrics are bad. I like what he's trying to convey. But the words are not very artfullly chosen or lyrically in-depth.

And I know Chris can word nicely! I think "Only Superstition" is a good example, or "Highspeed". Or basically most of the early songs.

Just an FYI, I promise I'm not trying to argue with you! I think my message came off sounding angry when I wasn't trying to be. I can see where you're coming from. The 'hyp-hypnotized' definitely works better as the song progresses, because I admit it definitely sounds awkward the very first time.

• Like 2

Wow, definitely better! How'd you do that?

I am in complete agreeance with you. Especially in regards to this is how AHFOD could have sounded if not for Stargate's production. I didn't expect them to return for Kaleidoscope, but it's a welcomed news to see such a moody, dreamy sound that sounds clean and natural.

Exactly, these types of tracks are what I expected from AHFOD!

"Para para"

"wa wa wa"

"hyp"

IMO Paradise is one of the best words to use it on. Hypnotised is kind of awkward at the beginning but grows on me as time goes on.

Just an FYI, I promise I'm not trying to argue with you! I think my message came off sounding angry when I wasn't trying to be. I can see where you're coming from. The 'hyp-hypnotized' definitely works better as the song progresses, because I admit it definitely sounds awkward the very first time.

Yeah, it's one of those decisions the artist makes that grows on you. I also find that the song is very nice in the beginning but gets even better at the end and really takes off in the last two minutes as a masterpiece.

• Like 1