✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Hypnotised - first song off Kaleidoscope

I ran away

ahhh especially when you listen with headphones and watch the video. that's how i heard it for the first time and it was a very magical experience. :heart::heart:

That was how I "discovered" it too.

And it was so overwhelming. [emoji4]

• Like 3

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always felt that Chris is one of the greatest melodist ever.

That's one of the main reasons why I love Coldplay :)

By the way, it has been mentioned a few times now already, but I also love the way the drumming subtly sneaks into the song halfway through ! That transition is so well done.

• Like 2

Had a little awkward moment.

Started playing the song on my phone at work but forgot to plug in my ear phones (again). [emoji23]

The beginning sounds a bit like a ring tone/wake up music so I don't think anyone noticed that I'm listening to Coldplay. [emoji1]

• Like 7

Had a little awkward moment.

Started playing the song on my phone at work but forgot to plug in my ear phones (again). [emoji23]

The beginning sounds a bit like a ring tone/wake up music so I don't think anyone noticed that I'm listening to Coldplay. [emoji1]

That is my nightmare. I always double and triple check it's really plugged in before I turn anything on (a little too obsessively now, probably, but ever since it happened to me on a train with a classical music symphony some years ago and I felt so embarassed...)

But yeah, better this than the beginning of Live 2003 :P

• Like 2

I think Chris is one of the best lyricists because he's one of the worst. I enjoy listening to lyrics written by masters who create a web of rhymes and metaphors that are obviously incredibly personal to who wrote them but sometimes it's not relatable. Chris's lyrics are so generic I've been able to apply them to any situation in my life. I used Fix You to grieve for the death of a friend and a breakup.

That's what I think is special about Coldplay. They are relatable no matter what

Sent from my VS986 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 2

Bless this band, bless this song. I absolutely love Hypnotised :dazzled: :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I've been feeling pretty bad these past couple of months, having meltdowns every other evening at home. Been stuck in a frustrating situation. And this song arrives. I was walking on my way to work when it was released, so like I couldn't exactly watch the video and read the lyrics, I could only listen to the song. I started tearing up in the street :joy: The music, the melody in Chris' voice...it all made me feel like they knew my pain and to calm down and that there's always a way.

This instant emotional connection makes it very special to me. I listened to it like 20 times yesterday and it genuinely calmed me down.

And to top it all off, I find that the lyrics are beautiful, I think they're better than most, if not all, of AHFOD.

Oh and my favourite moment so far is when Chris sings "..pouring to put out the pain"

It's the moment that made me super emotional on first listen and it just resonates in me. Hauntingly beautiful.

• Like 9

Ooh my god this sont is soooooo perfect!!! Absolutely mesmerized!!!

Anyone else agree with me this would have fit so perfectly in between Amazing Day and Up&Up?

I can see the band take this approach during their 2017 tours. Wouldn't be surprised if they replace Amazing Day with this as well..

that part when he sings 'yeah i lift' makes me lol, like, brah do you even lift?

*has listened to the song a lot of times by now*

Okay I still cringe at the lyrics. Anyone else with me? Am I the only asshole around here? =D

dont love the lyrics, but I can look past it.

*has listened to the song a lot of times by now*

Okay I still cringe at the lyrics. Anyone else with me? Am I the only asshole around here? =D

lol I mean I think they're fine--better than most of the lyrics we've gotten on the past several albums. Nothing *too* special but not terrible either. I'm fond of a couple of lines though.

I assume since you've listened to it a lot of times that you've looked past the lyrics? :P

The first verse is perfect. Then Chris sings "I am hyp, hypnotised" and the song loses its mojo a bit. This style has great potential in my opinion though. I hope they continue exploring and creating this type of sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look, I've been a fan since the very beginning. I've seen this band grow and progress. I might not have always liked the direction they took sometimes on certain songs or albums, but I embrace the fact that they don't like to repeat themselves. One thing I have learned from them is progression, not just in music, but you can apply it to life as well. I fell in love with them because music was presented to me in a way I have never heard before. I heard the most beautiful melodies I had ever heard. I found Coldplay at the right time my life.

There was one song that I automatically felt an instant connection to the first time I heard it, and that was The Scientist. I just was able to fully relate to it at that time in my life and felt like it was sent to me for a reason, and thats the beauty of music, thats how it can make you feel, as if that one song was written for just you.

Hypnotised it simply beautiful. It's Coldplay. Just the boys playing together. Chris' piano playing, Jonny's classic guitar sounds, Will's drumming marching along, and Guy subtly making the song complete. For only the second time, I have instantly felt a strong connection to a song on the first listen. The melodies are so beautiful I really can't explain it, I almost nearly cried tears of joy, that's how moved I was when listening to this. I have always felt that Chris is one of the greatest melodist ever. If you take the time to just pay attention to a lot of his vocal melodies, they are truly amazing. I really love the vocal melody in Hypnotised. Maybe it's because of where I am at in my life right now, going through a transition, I can relate to the lyrics and it makes it that much more special to me.

Im not here to criticize Chris lyrics or what not, what's the point? This is a beautiful song and I wouldn't be doing it justice if I was critiquing things I honestly have no idea about. I would be doing myself an injustice, because this song is simply beautiful and I will enjoy it!

I feel the same as so much of this, it could practically be written by me. With the exception that there were a few I felt an instant connection with, mainly in the old days ... The Scientist did more so than any other. I don't have the technical knowledge to explain why I felt that way about Coldplay's songs, or why I love Hypnotised ... but it's been a while since I just felt like one was written for me. And that's fine, it certainly doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed and fallen in love with many. But I'm also going through a transition in my life now, and quite frankly a sad one, and this just took me back to a different me, and I needed that so much.

And I absolutely agree about Chris's melodies. They grabbed from the first time I heard Yellow. On Hypnotised I couldnt really even understand the lyrics the first time I listened, but I was so blown away by the melody that was enough.

I'm probably being way too melodramatic, like it's just a song ... but sometimes just a song is a big deal.

• Like 6

I assume since you've listened to it a lot of times that you've looked past the lyrics? :p

Yeah I try but my brain always zooms right in when Chris says "I'M HYP".

Kinda hart to tune that lyrical gold out LOL

• Like 2

I dont think we listen to Coldplay for lyrical brilliance, but who cares! If this song makes you feel great, and emotional, no matter the lyrics then it has done its job. The atmosphere and mood in this song is just superb, it really gives me goosebumps. These guys never fail to disappoint. And the lyrics arent even THAT bad...

• Like 7

I am super glad that people are connecting to the lyrics, especially those that felt deep emotions about them. I don't know what Chris' thoughts were behind this song--obviously influenced by current events and the usual infatuation with someone. It isn't my place to say.

But when I read "Its the very same steeple, people just want to choose, they see it from different views," I imagine a 14-year old writing his deepest thoughts about the problems of the world. Sorry. That is harsh. As megafans we usually forgive Chris, but I played this song for my GF and while she like it, she laughed outloud at the "need a new coat of paint."

• Like 1

Wow.

This is probably the most creative thing they've done in a very, very long time. I can't see how some people call it "bland" and "generic", the only thing that is so about this song is the the first set of lyrics in the chorus. I absolutely love how this song builds up, and especially in the last 2 minutes I was bordering on tears.

Artistically, Coldplay have proven with this song that "Everything's Not Lost". As much as I like songs like "Something Just Like This" I will admit songs like what Coldplay have released for us today sound so much more unique, talented, and original. While I really do enjoy their collab with Chainsmokers, it sounds very unoriginal in comparison to this masterpiece. I am seeing Oldplayers all over that are super excited about this song.

This type of production is what AHFOD was meant to be. I feel Stargate's production really held the band back from what this era was meant to be. With no Stargate, Coldplay are able to make masterpieces like this that truly mesmerize us.. I think this is the "dreamy production" that we were all hoping for from this era.

I hope this song gets #1 and truly revolutionizes the future of pop music forever. Yes, there are definitely pop elements in here but it's presented in such a unique style... I can't find many songs that sound like this, and along with the emotional aspect of this Coldplay truly scored big here. Other than a few of the lyrics, nothing in this song sounds bland or generic in any way, shape, or form to my ears... all I hear is what we all wanted from AHFOD.

I am hoping for more of this for the future in Coldplay. I seen how some people thought that this EP would likely show no progression from AHFOD... I knew there would because at this point the rest of the songs will be released almost exactly a year and a half after the album came out.

Absolutely fantastic job boys.

BIB: I completely agree with this in the sense that this kind of sound was what I wanted and thought we were going to get with the era, something a little Pink Floyd-y, something a little beatles-y but still very Coldplay. Half of me wants them to continue exploring the sound but take the psychedelic influences further but then half of me wants to keep that associated with AHFOD and then they move on to something completely different with 'The Next One'. You never know, the next three songs off the EP could be just as satisfying and I'd be really happy with that.

• Like 1

Also, does anyone think they nearly could have written their first truly political song in years with this? The second verse if re-written slightly could definitely have a political feel to it, so they could have made a rather political song with this. I'm not too bothered though because I love this. I definitely feel the Fly On/Atlas influences on this like others have pointed out

• Like 1

If you use Google Chrome there are options to change the speed of a YouTube video. I am listening and watching the video of Hypnotised right now while putting the speed at 1.25 (no, there isn't a 1.36 option unfortunately:D)

Playing the video with 1.25 as its speed, I must say it sounds very upbeat, not bad.

BIB: I completely agree with this in the sense that this kind of sound was what I wanted and thought we were going to get with the era, something a little Pink Floyd-y, something a little beatles-y but still very Coldplay. Half of me wants them to continue exploring the sound but take the psychedelic influences further but then half of me wants to keep that associated with AHFOD and then they move on to something completely different with 'The Next One'. You never know, the next three songs off the EP could be just as satisfying and I'd be really happy with that.

Yes - Beatles-y....... listen to John Lennon singing 'Mind Games'.... echoes of Hypnotised.

• Like 2