✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Race (unreleased song)

I'm unsure if this is recent news but it appears the version from the AHFOD documentary has publicly leaked in full. From what I've heard it seems legitimate. Has anyone else heard it? Thoughts?

Edited by Holocene
  • Like 1

I didn't know about this. I found it on YouTube and downloaded it as soon as I could - it will be taken down soon I'm sure. Unfortunately the Later With Jools Holland clip with Get You Down by Sam Fender was taken down a few days after I found it, and being a clean version of the awesome live version I loved it. Until it became a private video that is.

As for the leak itself... It's simultaneously spectacular and disappointing at the same time. It is amazing to have a crisp version of the song, even though it isn't the crispiest we can get thanks to YouTube compression. The full song is quite relaxing and hearing the part at the end we've been looking for years for is well worth the wait. However, I had learnt how that ending sounds based on the documentary clip, and it was much more bassy and 'meaty' than what we have. The newly leaked version sounds very empty in comparison. In fact I went into Audacity to check my theory, and with a bit of a bass boost it still didn't sound as energetic as the AHFOD leak but did sound better.

Having access to the full version I can see why the song was shelved, it's just too simplistic in this form. Weirdly the Ghost Stories version(s) were much better in this regard and like Break Of Dawn and Lethal Drug could realistically be released with few changes. The second Ghost Stories version with the epic guitar riff takes the take for me when it comes to versions of The Race; the song just sounds fuller. But with some remixing, the new version will have the best ending, but the other version also has the best ending.

These are the struggles of a The Race fan.

• Like 4

I have made my ideal The Race version, combining the newly leaked version and other leaks. It combines my favourite bits from each of the three versions.

Most of the song comes from the second Ghost Stories version (the one with the guitar solo at the end). After it, the song goes to the bridge of the new AHFOD leak and then continues to the end of that version. I wanted to have the second chorus of the new leak but I couldn't find a way to get it to work sadly. The mix I made is just shy of six minutes long. I would upload it but I don't think I'm allowed to here and I can't upload it to YouTube as I don't want it to be removed because of a copyright strike.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doomotron said:

I have made my ideal The Race version, combining the newly leaked version and other leaks. It combines my favourite bits from each of the three versions.

Most of the song comes from the second Ghost Stories version (the one with the guitar solo at the end). After it, the song goes to the bridge of the new AHFOD leak and then continues to the end of that version. I wanted to have the second chorus of the new leak but I couldn't find a way to get it to work sadly. The mix I made is just shy of six minutes long. I would upload it but I don't think I'm allowed to here and I can't upload it to YouTube as I don't want it to be removed because of a copyright strike.

Can you share?

Posting leaks is against forum rules, sorry. If you have Audacity it's easy to make yourself, just cut the new leak where the bridge starts and fade that after the Ghost Stories reaches the end of the guitar solo. It creates quite a nice transition, although my editing is certainly not perfect.

Edited by Doomotron

Are you aware of a previous version? Because the three versions now do fit the current knowledge that The Race was written for Ghost Stories and then modified for AHFOD but ditched both times.

The two similar Ghost Stories versions fit together, with the guitar solo version probably being an addition made the band to improve the song, which it definitely did. Then the newly leaked AHFOD version is radically different, and like how the GS versions fit the style of Ghost Stories (quite similar to Ink's style) the AHFOD version is closer in tone and sound to the AHFOD album.

Hi!!

Well, that's just my personal opinion, but I'm pretty convinced that all the versions we know actually come from the AHFOD sessions and none of them is the original GS song. I don't know anything for sure, so perhaps I'm completely wrong, but this point was discussed earlier in this thread and there is actually no proof that the first two versions come from the GS sessions.

Personally I believe that some portions of the song, like the first verse, may come from the original version (perhaps with a different tempo) but that the chorus and production are from AHFOD. If you listen carefully you may recognise some similarities production-wise with AHFOD (for instance the strings and synths resemble those at the end of HFTW, or the voice effects) and even lyrically the song seems to have little in common with GS and much more with AHFOD (es. Kaleidoscopes, colours that explode). Another point is that they had envisioned The Race as the opening song of GS at some point, I don't think that something similar could have happened if the original The Race was as upbeat as the first two versions that we have. Just consider the way the band was divided over ASFOS!

Then there's just a perception. As a Coldplay fan that discovered the band through Ghost Stories, there is something telling me that those versions can't be from Ghost Stories, they lack the delicacy of that album.

7 hours ago, BerheavedTripod8 said:

Could that mean an announcement of a new single or e.p. is nearing? I remember them posting after last year's tour ended that they had gone back into the studio.

No. Coldplay frequently delete uploads of unreleased material (particularly The Race) even if they have no plans to release it. A few years ago uploads of The Race couldn't stay on YouTube for more than a month without being taken down, and we never got The Race then.

On 1/6/2023 at 5:53 PM, Holocene said:

I'm unsure if this is recent news but it appears the version from the AHFOD documentary has publicly leaked in full. From what I've heard it seems legitimate. Has anyone else heard it? Thoughts?

Yep, a full lossless leak too. Actually more tracks are leaking, possibly even for MOTS Vol.2.

18 hours ago, BerheavedTripod8 said:

I'm not sure if all are vol 2 demos, but ones i haven´t seen before consist of:

• jupiter
  • heart on fire
  • back to life
  • colilyakluik (this one is listed as being mots vol 2)
  • deserter
  • mining on the moon

Back To Life (Unless there's a new version I don't know about) was an improvised* song at a live performance with Coleman Barks. There is a fan made version on YouTube which uses Chris' improvised lyrics for a full song, which is actually really good and I'd love to see turned into a real song.

*I have seen mentions of this but I can't guarantee it, the lyrics may be improvised or they might not be.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:30 PM, BerheavedTripod8 said:

I'm not sure if all are vol 2 demos, but ones i haven´t seen before consist of:

• jupiter
  • heart on fire
  • back to life
  • colilyakluik (this one is listed as being mots vol 2)
  • deserter
  • mining on the moon

Heart on fire is an AHFOD era demo, Back to Life a fan made edit from the live performance at the Apollo (i think), Col... is a fan troll, Deserter is an AROBTTH era demo and Mining on the moon a Viva era demo

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Nawaz said:

I have downloaded the full version of the race(ahfod version) and it's way better than the ghost stories version.

I like both to be honest. While the ending of the AHFOD version is brilliant, the brilliant guitar solo of the second Ghost Stories version is also very nice. As for the 'bulk' of the song, it's a narrow win for the GS version in my eyes. On my computer I have an edited version, which is the GS version with the ending of the AHFOD version added on the end. It's preferred way of listening to the song now.

• Like 1