✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Race (unreleased song)

I was thinking same, but there is something that intrigues me: it is that the sound quality of the harmonies of the first fragment of the film in this piece is better, and it coincides with the drums that are heard in the second fragment. But the notes that Chris sings at the beginning and that strange emptiness when going to the 'choir' I think it is a space to put some transition effect. There is a possibility that The Race is not yet finished.

The final product will be really interesting... I wonder if they need to rerecord it to get Guy's approval?

Personally based on the snippets, I can see why this is a B-side and I'm worried it sounds a bit messy. I LOVE the intro with the wobbly synths and that vocal sample but the guitar just feels like U2 and the rhythm section sounds fairly plain and by the numbers. Like a lot of the Ghost Stories era I'm worried the beat will be sterile. (sorry GS stans, I love this album but not the percussion). 

But it sounds like a really interesting progressive and catchy song at the same time...

• Like 2

It’s probably not my favourite snippet, of course my favourite is the AHFOD documentary one but that’s the newer version. If the full song gets leaked (which will be the ghost stories version), I think a lot of people will be disappointed with how it actually sounds because of what they’ve heard from the documentary. When the official version does get released, it will be absolute fire compared to what it used to be.

Thats my take 

• Love 1

19 hours ago, The Jordanator said:

It’s probably not my favourite snippet, of course my favourite is the AHFOD documentary one but that’s the newer version. If the full song gets leaked (which will be the ghost stories version), I think a lot of people will be disappointed with how it actually sounds because of what they’ve heard from the documentary. When the official version does get released, it will be absolute fire compared to what it used to be.

Thats my take 

Just wondering, how do we know this is the GS version?

I'm inclined to believe it's the GS version because 

a) It was on the Ghost Stories track listing during production

b) part of the lyrics are actually in the GS booklet.  "in all of time, in all of space, in another time, in another place" 

More proof lies between the lyrics themselves and how it correlates to Chris during that time period, during the relationship struggles, and upon listening a few times I can now understand why It was written during the GS era at first... there's a lot of pain entwined to the lyrics, and in relation to the word  "kaleidoscope" ..  there's shapes everywhere in his mind, much like the confusion Chris was feeling within himself during that time period,  fighting his inner demons and not being able to focus

"And I'm seeing lights and I'm seeing shapes all over the place" - again, it sounds like Chris expressing what he was going through

especially this bit: 

"My heart is beating, the beat won't stop
I started sinking, drinking every drop
My heart is beating, the beat won't stop
I started sinking, drinking every drop"

I think meaning of the race is what it’s like to live in the view of a kaleidoscope for sure, like the “shapes and colors , chrysalis shapes everywhere” but “THE RACE” still being the title. This demo just screams "Ghost Stories era", and it would've been such a bop on the album. Lets hope the leak doesn't deter from the band eventually releasing the score from the AHFOD film, because that "whatever it takes" part still haunts my soul, and I long for it so much... we need it so bad.

kw13zlfml4u31.jpg

106740938_717054075536337_1546023337046712970_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

6 minutes ago, LeftrightleftArchi said:

Hey I made a quick remaster of The Race and mashed it up with the outro of Oceans (if anyone wanted an idea of where it could be on the GS tracklisting). Anyone interested in listening? 

According to a documentary featurette the that was sadly taken down, it was supposed to be the second song after O. There are also pictures of the original cover art with this tracklisting but i'm guessing it's just fanart influenced by this tracklisting from the documentary.

Edited by GamingForeverAUS

7 minutes ago, GamingForeverAUS said:

According to a documentary featurette the that was sadly taken down, it was supposed to be the second song after O. There are also pictures of the original cover art with this tracklisting but i'm guessing it's just fanart influenced by this tracklisting from the documentary.

Ah I see. Didn't know that! I think I just made a guess based on ASFOS being the "upbeat" track of the album haha. 

But my edit is still here if anyone is interested though. 

The leak sounds good, but similar to the heaven leak that happened years ago. It sounds raw and unfinished. Hopefully this leak won't affect them possibly wanting to put out a refined and finished version in the future because it sounds great!

• Like 1

Though we have to stop assuming the leak is actually 'The Race'. This is another song, not the race, and I don't know why people are saying it's a demo from the GS era because my guess is that it was from the AHFOD/Kaleidoscope EP era, and I would guess that the song was called Kaleidoscope. The instrumentation is similar to AOAL in terms of rhythm and guitar, could as well be Legends? If Legends is actually a song seperate from AOAL and didn't turn into AOAL

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

One thing that makes me think this isn't Ghost Stories era is Chris's voice. During GS his voice was audibly different, im guessing due to the stress/situation. On this one he sounds as good as ever. Maybe it is a new release of the old song. Either way getting to hear this on my Birthday (6th) after a really tough few months was really nice.

• Administrators
On 7/7/2020 at 1:13 AM, Ze said:

Though we have to stop assuming the leak is actually 'The Race'. This is another song, not the race, and I don't know why people are saying it's a demo from the GS era because my guess is that it was from the AHFOD/Kaleidoscope EP era, and I would guess that the song was called Kaleidoscope. The instrumentation is similar to AOAL in terms of rhythm and guitar, could as well be Legends? If Legends is actually a song seperate from AOAL and didn't turn into AOAL

Legends is a separate song. The seller that sold the race also had Legends and Heart on Fire. All AHFOD era songs (I believe). My theory is that the old GS version of the race was brought into the AHFOD recording sessions and that's why it leaked along with other AHFOD era tracks.

This is 100% the GS version of The Race. It appeared on a working track list for Ghost Stories and lyrics appear on artwork from Mila Furstova. This track was originally meant for Ghost Stories, was then brought into the AHFOD sessions, reworked and then never released. The AHFOD version seems to be completely different. Merry Clayton's vocals can be heard on that version. The only snippet we've heard of that is the version I isolated from the documentary.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1